Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2015, 21:26   #4291
BHPian
 
rrsteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 144022
Posts: 867
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: Why Safari Storme failed to make impact on the market?

I think the Storme 400 is what the Storme should have always been at the minimum. Safari/Storme sales on the average declined after the launch of Storme.

I feel the main reasons for Storme's lackluster performance are:

1) Didn't feel a proper upgrade - after all had the same engine and body.
2) It still gives a feeling of massive bulk, while robbing itself of the raw looks of Safari
3) Victim of general perception of poor quality and service being offered from Tata

PS: if only the Storme 400 was launched only a few months back, I'd have never looked at a pre-owned Fortuner. I do feel very sad about it.
rrsteer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:42   #4292
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,730
Thanked: 1,931 Times
Default Re: Why did the Safari Storme fail to make impact on the market?

In my Opinion, Tata was never committed to their flagship product from the beginning.

When the Original Safari was launched with the lethargic 90bhp, 2.0 IDI engine, there was no competition in the market, until the Scorpio was launched with the 2.6 DI Turbo SZplus engine that gave kickass performance at that time. Mahindra went on to upgrade the Scorpio with better engines, better suspension packages, better interiors, etc, etc. While Tata's let the Safari languish like a public sector undertaking.

Essentially they killed the brand value of the Safari, except with a handful of die hard hardcore fans.

The Storme was a decent effort but only half finished. They coudl have gone for a few essential changes, like better dashboard with a more ergonomically placed double DIN unit. Reclining middle row, front facing third row etc...

The Current Varicor 400 is the best Safari ever, but I still don't think it will sell much as it is too little too late and there are too many competing products on the market now.

People say, you can't compare with XUV, Creta etc, etc as But for majority of buyers, they are looking for a family carrier. They don't really care of FWD/RWD, body on Frame/Monoqoque, etc..
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:54   #4293
ISO
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune/Bahrain
Posts: 126
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Why did the Safari Storme fail to make impact on the market?

Thanks Mod. Aditya for shifting this thread to correct section.

Thank you friends for your response.

1. Complete lack of direct marketing effort. No availability of test drive vehicle, forget dealers, not even with Concord.

2. Test drive Vehicle (Concord, Pune) offered to me was in pathetic condition. This creates negative effect for the one who is taking test drive. I asked for updated 2015 Safari which was not available.

3. Demotivated SA (Concord Pune). They don't want to talk positive about the vehicle.
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:03   #4294
BHPian
 
nkghai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Yahan aur Wahan
Posts: 351
Thanked: 557 Times
Default Re: Why did the Safari Storme fail to make impact on the market?

It is a combination of many factors as other have brought out, but a lot has to do with proper marketing and sales. While at IIM Indore, i met the marketing strategist for M & M when the Scorpio was first launched. He had an interesting story to tell.

As per him when he was to make a strategy for Scoprio he realized that the only competitor SUV would be the Safari and the number analysis showed that SUV sales were falling MoM and YoY, where as car sales were increasing . So he went back to M&M and opined that launching an SUV at that point of time may not be the best option and after a couple of meetings and discussion it was decided that the looks be of Scorpio be modified a bit wherein the spare wheel went inside and some other subtle changes were done and the launch would be as a Car.

And if you remember in their first Ad it was mentioned It is a CAR. No where was it mentioned SUV. Even later they said More trouble for Cars. They pitched themselves against the higher selling segment rather than slow moving SUV segment and in the bargain by clever marketing uplifted the SUV segment.

So correct marketing does play a role.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:28   #4295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 959
Thanked: 970 Times
Default Re: Why did the Safari Storme fail to make impact on the market?

While Tata Motors was applauded for its ground breaking products during its heydays (read) Sierra and Safari. Today they are been facing brickbats from the customers who have more options. In simple words Tata Motors just didn't stay ahead with time and was stuck in a time capsule. Result all their iconic brands were either killed or are dying a slow painful death. No matter whatever cosmetic jobs (read Tata Sumo Gold, Tata Sumo Grande, Tata Safari Storme, etc.) they do their SUV's are no longer in demand as they were before. Reason besides many other factors Mahindra, I am deliberately taking an Indian manufacturer into consideration. Mahindra launched the butch Scorpio to challenge the Safari and the result was overwhelming from the general public. While Mahindra Bolero smashed whatever little Tata Sumo had to offer. The same story was repeated when XUV500 was launched and it went onto knockout the Safari Storme in the very first round. While Mahindra took a chance and went onto resurrect the iconic Jeep Kaiser look alike MM540 transformed into Thar, Tata Motors did nothing to revive their iconic brand Tata Sierra.

The fact is today most people frown at the Tata Safari Storme barring the enthusiasts who have a soft corner for the erstwhile Safari. Potential buyers invariably compare it with the all new Scorpio(comes with auto transmission too) and the marvellous XUV500 both of which have reasonable amount of bells and whistles to blow away the Safari Storme out of water. Also the fact that those two Mahindra vehicles has a seating capacity of 7(last row front facing bench seat) vs 4(due to puny last row jump seat) of Safari Storme. I am not even mentioning foreign manufacturer offerings as it would make it even more tough for the Safari Storme. Times have changed but Tata Motors refuses to accept this along with its shoddy after sales that has been denting its sales big time.

To give an example I went with one of my college friends for a test drive who wanted to buy an SUV for his family. We test drove the Safari Storme and though it was comfortable it had a certain crudeness about it. The Mahindra dealership was a stone's throw from there. We went onto test drive the all new Scorpio and my friend was surprised to see that it also had a automatic variant. He was delighted and having driven the automatic Scorpio during the test drive it was a deal maker. He said I am getting an auto transmission which will be ideal for me and my family as the vehicle will be used by my elder brother and father as well. Some of the features like MID display, 6 inch infotainment system, 6 speed auto transmission, 4X4, etc. sealed the deal for him. Tata Motors lost one more customer. This is the way it has been happening over the years.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd December 2015 at 10:32.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:57   #4296
BHPian
 
arun_kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 177
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Why did the Safari Storme fail to make impact on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
While Tata Motors was applauded for its ground breaking products during its heydays (read) Sierra and Safari. Today they are been facing brickbats from the customers who have more options. In simple words Tata Motors just didn't stay ahead with time and was stuck in a time capsule. Result all their iconic brands were either killed or are dying a slow painful death. No matter whatever cosmetic jobs (read Tata Sumo Gold, Tata Sumo Grande, Tata Safari Storme, etc.) they do their SUV's are no longer in demand as they were before. Reason besides many other factors Mahindra, I am deliberately taking an Indian manufacturer into consideration. Mahindra launched the butch Scorpio to challenge the Safari and the result was overwhelming from the general public. While Mahindra Bolero smashed whatever little Tata Sumo had to offer. The same story was repeated when XUV500 was launched and it went onto knockout the Safari Storme in the very first round. While Mahindra took a chance and went onto resurrect the iconic Jeep Kaiser look alike MM540 transformed into Thar, Tata Motors did nothing to revive their iconic brand Tata Sierra.

The fact is today most people frown at the Tata Safari Storme barring the enthusiasts who have a soft corner for the erstwhile Safari. Potential buyers invariably compare it with the all new Scorpio(comes with auto transmission too) and the marvellous XUV500 both of which have reasonable amount of bells and whistles to blow away the Safari Storme out of water. Also the fact that those two Mahindra vehicles has a seating capacity of 7(last row front facing bench seat) vs 4(due to puny last row jump seat) of Safari Storme. I am not even mentioning foreign manufacturer offerings as it would make it even more tough for the Safari Storme. Times have changed but Tata Motors refuses to accept this along with its shoddy after sales that has been denting its sales big time.

To give an example I went with one of my college friends for a test drive who wanted to buy an SUV for his family. We test drove the Safari Storme and though it was comfortable it had a certain crudeness about it. The Mahindra dealership was a stone's throw from there. We went onto test drive the all new Scorpio and my friend was surprised to see that it also had a automatic variant. He was delighted and having driven the automatic Scorpio during the test drive it was a deal maker. He said I am getting an auto transmission which will be ideal for me and my family as the vehicle will be used by my elder brother and father as well. Some of the features like MID display, 6 inch infotainment system, 6 speed auto transmission, 4X4, etc. sealed the deal for him. Tata Motors lost one more customer. This is the way it has been happening over the years.
I totally second your thoughts.

They should have produced more good iterations of the Tata estate. The amount of space it offered was mind boggling. I had driven Tata estate couple of times, it impressed me a lot with the space. Reverse gear was pretty funny though, we need to lift and push back to slot the reverse gear. It would have been a great highway vehicle for a family of five which gobble lots of luggage. It would have been relevant even today if they had packaged it well.

Tata Sierra is one of the best looking vehicle with long panning glass at the back. It was futuristic & timeless in design. As far I could remember it did drive well too.. They should have at least kept this vehicle alive slotting along with Safari as mini SUV. It would have been hit, especially now with current trend of mini SUV.

They could not even capitalize on success of Sumo in initial days.
arun_kun is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:25   #4297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 114
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

30,000 KM update:

The truck is 300 km shy of 30,000 km in 19 months of ownership. No major issues faced but for crew seat rattling which had increased in the last couple of months. Apart from regular service, I change the air filter and engine oil every 7,500 km and go for wheel balancing, rotation & alignment every 10,000 km, rubbing & polishing once a month and the truck has served me well.

Service Experience:

I was a regular at Aristo Motors Gurgaon primairly because of Guru and then Prashant who were the Service Managers. However, got to know that Prashant has left so didnt wanted to try Aristo this time. I was in the last one month regularly receiving calls from TransAuto Faridabad which is a TATA Service Center and is virtually 2 km from my home. Gave the truck for servicing to TransAuto this time and the experience has been fantastic. The vehicle was taken in soon and had three people attending to the vehicle. One was ensuring all seats are wrapped, the other was checking for body bumps/scratches, equipment and then was the SA who was discussing with me the works and issues. They gave an estimated time of 5 hours and every hour I was getting updates on the job done as a call and whatsapp pics. The seat rattling issue was attented to diligently and the SA realized that it is because of a loose screw that holds one of the vertical frame in the backrest. The seat was opened and the loose screw was taken care of also the SA confirmed that TATA has assured to replace the seat should the problem resurface under the AMC. The truck was delivered very clean to my satisfaction, not a single finger mark anywhere in the cabin and the body was thoroughly cleaned too. Total bill was INR 2,500 as I had requested for dry cleaning and rubbing/polishing. Break pads and engine belt were changed as part of AMC.

TransAuto is located on Mathura Road right next to DS Doors, those familiar with the area wont miss it because of DS Doors. They have limited space and the good thing is that commercial vehicles are not accepted. I highly recommend them to fellow Storme owners in NCR, Ramesh Nair is the SA and can be reached on 9891239993.
garyag79 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 20:28   #4298
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,632
Thanked: 3,832 Times
Default Re: Why did the Safari Storme fail to make impact on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
People say, you can't compare with XUV, Creta etc, etc as But for majority of buyers, they are looking for a family carrier. They don't really care of FWD/RWD, body on Frame/Monoqoque, etc..
Sir, what you say is right, but when driving one or being driven in one, at least to me, they appear very different. This may not be as prudent/visible to the crowd & do agree to your POV
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:45   #4299
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,730
Thanked: 1,931 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This may not be as prudent/visible to the crowd & do agree to your POV
This is what I meant, the janatha is more interested in automatic headlamps, automatic wipers, keyless start etc, etc.. The more the brochure pages, the more attractive the vehicle is..
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:58   #4300
BHPian
 
vigneshkumar31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 56
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

The Chennai Floods have been brutal and taken away much from Chennaities. Kumki managed to wade through and survive. The full story in my ownership Review.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html (TATA Safari Storme EX Urban Bronze-Buying Experience Initial Ownership Report)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:53   #4301
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 15
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hi Vignesh, congratulations on your new born. Glad to see your Storme standing tall amidst the flooded ruins. Indeed, the Storme can weather any storm!
iVtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 20:59   #4302
BHPian
 
vigneshkumar31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 56
Thanked: 170 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Thank you iVTec! How did the floods treat you?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 08:30   #4303
BHPian
 
mayank0782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tampa
Posts: 118
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I just noticed that there are just 4 features for which the VX is charging a 2L OTR premium over the EX. (both 2WD)

Dual Airbags (though I feel these should be standard across the model range)
Heated/Folding ORVMs
Reverse Sensors (no camera)
Alloys


Isn't the differential a bit on the higher side ? or am I missing something ?
mayank0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 09:31   #4304
BHPian
 
stormerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pink City
Posts: 334
Thanked: 471 Times
Default

Now they have the engine in better state of tune and new 6speed gearbox also to the vx trim.
Though I agree that It's still too much to ask.

Last edited by stormerider : 25th December 2015 at 09:32.
stormerider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 09:37   #4305
BHPian
 
Seek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 168 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank0782 View Post
I just noticed that there are just 4 features for which the VX is charging a 2L OTR premium over the EX. (both 2WD)

Dual Airbags (though I feel these should be standard across the model range)
Heated/Folding ORVMs
Reverse Sensors (no camera)
Alloys


Isn't the differential a bit on the higher side ? or am I missing something ?
Yes, I just booked an EX last week and had done the math around this. OEM alloys from Tata cost 25k, reverse sensor is 5k. Difficult to put a price to the Airbags and heated/folding ORVMs. There are a few other small differences like chrome finish on the ORVMs, stowaway bin with a cover on the dash board.

Looks overpriced by maybe 30-40k. And the discounts offered are the same too.
Seek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks