Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th January 2013, 11:54   #496
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
3. Other things apart from roof AC that the LX does not have (compared to EX) which i noticed are the in dash analog clock , arm rests, no front fog lamps,the rear fog lamps are not illuminated, & of course as discussed above the difference in the colour of the upholstery. The difference between the LX & EX is of Rs.1 Lac, which many at TATA were saying is too much for too little.
Here in Pune the difference is 60K. Also, the EX comes with a height adjustable driver seat compared to the LX.

Arm rests, rear wash and wipe cannot be fitted at the showroom. Neither can the rear parking sensor IRVM (which comes in the VX). Rest most of the things there are after market solution for.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 13:47   #497

Excellent review and clicks. I never understood Tata's thing with fittings inside and outside, even with the current competition. I wish they could have done up more with the front looks, as this model took sometime in coming. I have seen this color ( which looks good ) go zoom past me on the NH4, the driver seemed to be in a hurry and quite confident. I also liked the twin exhaust, wish i had it on my "kommandor".
specialedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 22:53   #498
BHPian

Went to Cargo motors today to check for the status of my already booked storme LX & came back disheartened as theirs no trace of the 2013 LX in near sight , the sales rep who earlier promised me to deliver the vehicle by Jan. end has postponed it till 20th feb. Hopefully i may get the car by that time.

Well if that was not much of a heart burn, the first thing in the showroom i saw was a new LX being delivered , after inquiring from the sales rep and the customer came to know that it was earlier billed, 2012 model given at a mere discount of 18000 INR.

The sales rep. insisted me to go for the EX as it would be available this month but i don't find its extra features esp. the rear mount AC & rear wiper of much utility to my driving requirements compared to its 1lac premium over LX

One thing i would ask to know from fellow bhpians is that the agency people told me that in fact the 2013 LX is yet not even under production as the company plans to sell the earlier 2012 units first, can that be true? & if yes how can they promise me the vehicle by 20th feb.!!
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 11:55   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well if that was not much of a heart burn, the first thing in the showroom i saw was a new LX being delivered , after inquiring from the sales rep and the customer came to know that it was earlier billed, 2012 model given at a mere discount of 18000 INR.
That's a big discount for essentially the same vehicle (no changes, just a few days apart). Interesting. Was this discount given by the dealer or by Tata Motors?

Quote:
One thing i would ask to know from fellow bhpians is that the agency people told me that in fact the 2013 LX is yet not even under production as the company plans to sell the earlier 2012 units first, can that be true? & if yes how can they promise me the vehicle by 20th feb.!!
That is correct. There are still some 18 vehicles of 2012 they are to clear all India before commencing with 2013 production.

Last edited by ebonho : 25th January 2013 at 11:58.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:20   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That's a big discount for essentially the same vehicle (no changes, just a few days apart). Interesting. Was this discount given by the dealer or by Tata Motors?
The discount was provided by Cargo Motors , when asked they said its under some kind of exchange bonus, though no car was exchanged, just fake documentation. If we consider the resale value between 2012 & 2013 i feel its not much of a discount, here in this part of country, what all matters is year of make on the registration certificate at the time of resale

Quote:
That is correct. There are still some 18 vehicles of 2012 they are to clear all India before commencing with 2013 production.
If that is the case , is the wait period till 20th Feb. ok or does it seem just like a false promise
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 12:32   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The discount was provided by Cargo Motors , when asked they said its under some kind of exchange bonus, though no car was exchanged, just fake documentation. If we consider the resale value between 2012 & 2013 i feel its not much of a discount, here in this part of country, what all matters is year of make on the registration certificate at the time of resale
I agree that year makes a difference, but honestly, it also depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. After about 5 years, I frankly feel it all evens out and the condition of the vehicle, service history, and mileage make more of a difference.

Quote:
If that is the case , is the wait period till 20th Feb. ok or does it seem just like a false promise
It seems ok. If you really push them, maybe you could get it a week earlier as well. All depends on the present lot being cleared quickly.
Old 25th January 2013, 13:07   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There's a silver Lx lying with Tafe Chennai which they are trying to clear. Had checked out the vehicle. Shockingly enough, the horizontally moving air direction vents inside the rear ac unit were already broken.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 00:07   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
This feature is available in the Indigo eCS and the ARIA as well. I guess it is an ECU feature that just manages to keep the engine from stalling and does not accelerate either. Very Very useful when climbing out of basement mall ramps / parking lots !
These definitely will NOT do the kind of slopes the Storme is put thru. Add to it, while coming down too, the car maintains a constant speed! The cars you mentioned will just run down quick if left the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Its there in almost all cars. However i am not sure what happens on other cars on such a heavy slope. I can imagine that car will go fast on slope. But Storme is maintaining the control.
+1. They explained during the Xtreme drive that this is a feature with 4x4! Very very composed movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
...I really want to know what Bhpians think of the situation above. I am looking forward to some interesting storming on this to help me decide eventually what I should go for...
You should NOT even compare these two! Think of Aria as a 7-seater family crossover which can do some basic off-road stunts on the road (like Leh-Ladakh & all). Atleast that's why I shall buy an Aria for!

Storme on the other hand should be considered a 5 seater which CAN DO thorough off-road activities.

Now, choose based on what you need. If you need ONLY a 5 seater & you like to get into those dirty places, buy a Storme!

Quote:
...That is correct. There are still some 18 vehicles of 2012 they are to clear all India before commencing with 2013 production.
In the factory?? Still NOT dispatched? What with the news of 6000 bookings then? Did they manufacture more than 6000 or was there a wrong variant forecast leading to stagnated stocks in the factory?!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th January 2013 at 00:10.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 09:25   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
In the factory?? Still NOT dispatched? What with the news of 6000 bookings then? Did they manufacture more than 6000 or was there a wrong variant forecast leading to stagnated stocks in the factory?!
Yes indeed , had a word with two agencies & both have confirmed that the LX production is temporarily at halt, the forecasting done was wrong, they further added that the EX variant is the most selling one & as on 3 of my recent visits i have seen people booking the EX variant more as compared to both LX & VX.

One another detail as put forth by the Sales Mgr. was that it is not recommended to put the fog lights in LX even from the company end as no wiring has been done & any small problem may lead to warranty void, even if its done from the agency itself !!
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 11:55   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

+1. They explained during the Xtreme drive that this is a feature with 4x4! Very very composed movement.
There is no hill descent control in the Storme.
Any vehicle in 4L will maintain slow speed while coming down a steep slope. Similarly, in 4L you can climb any steep slope in idle. Even in the old safari I can simple go down the steepest slopes slowly if I am in 4L without using brakes. Jeepers also do it all the time.
Hill descent control is different. In hill descent control, brakes are automatically used to control speed of vehicle while descending. So there is an assist provided to the engine braking,
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 18:47   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
I just received the VIN and Engine number of my black 4x4 strome , it's in transit .
Hi Fortuner - any updates reg ur Storme ?
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 19:16   #507
BHPian

Quote:
1. These definitely will NOT do the kind of slopes the Storme is put thru. Add to it, while coming down too, the car maintains a constant speed! The cars you mentioned will just run down quick if left the same way.

2. +1. They explained during the Xtreme drive that this is a feature with 4x4! Very very composed movement.

3. You should NOT even compare these two! Think of Aria as a 7-seater family crossover which can do some basic off-road stunts on the road (like Leh-Ladakh & all). Atleast that's why I shall buy an Aria for!

4. Storme on the other hand should be considered a 5 seater which CAN DO thorough off-road activities.

5. Now, choose based on what you need. If you need ONLY a 5 seater & you like to get into those dirty places, buy a Storme!
1. I have driven both the eCS and the ARIA (I own them both) on the ramp exits of various malls and even down them - the tapping my feet on the floor is my favourite gesture each time, every time. The cars maintain a constant speed uphill.

2. Down a slippery slope (mud / gravel, etc) I am sure the 4x4 of the Storme is designed to perform / hold better ! Both these vehicles are 2x2 (the eCS FWD and the ARIA RWD).

3. Leh Ladakh CANNOT be classified as "basic off-road stunts", excuse me ! Looks like you have only seen Leh in pictures, pl drive to the Pangong Tsu lake (crossing Chang-la) and cross the Khardung-la passes and then comment.

4. Agreed.

5. Yes and No. Choose your vehicle as per your requirements. If you need a family car that can also do off-roading, the ARIA is your answer. If you need a pure 5-seater, SUV properties and looks, etc, go for the Storme.
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 19:58   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

Hi Fortuner - any updates reg ur Storme ?
Hi Narayan,

Likely delivery is tomorrow or day after . The launch happened in mysore on Friday . Some dinner and drinks nicely arranged . Will keep all posted with pics , eagerly waiting for the black beast

Last edited by Fortuner71 : 27th January 2013 at 19:59.
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:40   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes indeed , had a word with two agencies & both have confirmed that the LX production is temporarily at halt, the forecasting done was wrong, they further added that the EX variant is the most selling one & as on 3 of my recent visits i have seen people booking the EX variant more as compared to both LX & VX.
Yes, variant forecast issues. The Ex's are selling better than expected, the LX's not as well.

The reason is that the differential between the EX and the VX is around 2 lacs, while that between the EX and LX is only 60K.

I have a feeling they are going to dump this LX sooner than later, and bring in a stripped down LX which would come in at a cheaper price point - approximately 1.5-2 lacs below the current EX.

The current EX is actually close to the Dicror's GX slot. The Storme VX and the Dicor VX are also closely matched.

Its only the Storme LX which is seen as sticking out without a proper niche. Also "perceptionally" seen as too expensive when compared to the 7.95 Lac entry Dicor LX.

A Storme LX coming in at under 8.5 lacs would cure that imbalance. And then they could do away with the Dicor platform altogether.

Already I am hearing of Delhi dealers agreeing to fitting the Storme with a spare wheel tailgate for those hardcore Punjabi types who must have it! (don't know how true this is but heard it from a Delhi friend who owns a Dicor LX and has just bought a Storme for his dad)

Last edited by ebonho : 28th January 2013 at 12:42.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 13:18   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Already I am hearing of Delhi dealers agreeing to fitting the Storme with a spare wheel tailgate for those hardcore Punjabi types who must have it! (don't know how true this is but heard it from a Delhi friend who owns a Dicor LX and has just bought a Storme for his dad)
Ebonho - Is your friend thinking of mounting the spare wheel on the tail gate ?
If it has been done on any storme, I request you to kindly arrange for the pictures .

Also, if we just think it as to how this would be done, would the replace storme's whole tailgate with the former's tailgate ?
I mean any spec/design changes to the rair tailgate apart from the visual changes we see like the placement of the number plate and the matte finished black strip.
scofield is offline   Reply With Quote