Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 27th January 2013, 11:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Scala CVT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In contrast the Toyota CVT has pseudo jerks and mimics a torque converter but still gives you the benefits of CVT i.e. efficiency. The Altis even has 7 presets using the tip-tronic mode just to give feedback to driver.
Preset comes in to play only when you shift to manual mode/manual over ride isn't it? Or does it snap to the presets and not change the ratio contiguously? I thought the behavior (with the prominent rubber band effect) will be similar in all CVTs unless you choose manual mode.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 11:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Preset comes in to play only when you shift to manual mode/manual over ride isn't it? Or does it snap to the presets and not change the ratio contiguously? I thought the behavior (with the prominent rubber band effect) will be similar in all CVTs unless you choose manual mode.
Surprising, there is hardly any rubber band effect. Even in D mode you get the pseudo jerks that imitate a torque converter box.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 19:21   #33
Team-BHP Support

So sorry...had drafted a reply to this but lost it and didn't find the time to log back in and reply properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
1. Does the Scala CVT roll back in an incline? IMHO, that's one of the pleasures of traditional ATs - no foot on any pedal on a flyover, still as a rock!
Sadly, it does. Since there is no "creep" you can't use this nifty feature that conventional ATs offer.

Quote:
2.Not having to put a leg on the brake pedal sounds good while at a complete standstill. Putting it to 'N' each time is too much of a chore in normal ATs if the stop is <30 sec.
I usually keep my foot on the brake or engage the handbrake anyway, just as a safety measure.

Quote:
3. Isn't it easier to crawl at 5-10 kmph and controlling brakes (like in normal ATs) rather than to control speed using the throttle and braking?
Yes it is. These are finer points that only die-hard T-BHPian members come up with

Quote:
4. Wow, how on earth does the CVT rack up such good/better than Traditional AT mileage figures with that horrid high RPM rubber band effect?
You won't get the same high mileage numbers at 5500 rpm. We got 12-13 kmpl with a light foot doing around 60-90 kmph. That is how an AT should be driven anyway, so it's a win-win.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 17:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious similar review of the X-Tronic from the New York Times: The Mouse That Roars!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/au....html?hpw&_r=0

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th February 2013 at 17:25. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 13:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Renault Scala CVT has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 8.99 - 9.89 lakhs (ex-Delhi).
I have a doubt: my dad likes the look of the scala RXz and he wanted a manual petrol but RXz petrol is only available on the auto tranny. The reason he went for petrol instead of diesel is due to the high maintenance required for the diesel.

However, if we go for an automatic car, would the maintanence come up to par of that of a modern diesel engine?

Which would you recommend, scala auto petrol or diesel for the RXz version? The car would run approx 6000kms a month in moderate city conditions.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 19:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post

I have a doubt: my dad likes the look of the scala RXz and he wanted a manual petrol but RXz petrol is only available on the auto tranny. The reason he went for petrol instead of diesel is due to the high maintenance required for the diesel.

However, if we go for an automatic car, would the maintanence come up to par of that of a modern diesel engine?

Which would you recommend, scala auto petrol or diesel for the RXz version? The car would run approx 6000kms a month in moderate city conditions.
6000 a month? I'm sure that's a typo and you probably mean 600. The auto tranny itself shouldn't require much extra maintainance and it would be good to go for it if the running isn't much.
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 14:14   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault is reported to be stopping production of the base RxE and automatic variants of the Renault Scala sedan. Only the RxL petrol and diesel variants, along with the top-end RxZ diesel, will be sold.

Scala sales have been in the low double digits overall. With no real UPS's for the Petrol Automatic, the decision makes sense. But unlike Ford, Renault will continue to sell the RxL petrol and diesel variants to maintain a presence in the segment.

For those who still want a Scala like AT, the Sunny CVT is still available, but unfortunately only in a lower variant with 1 airbag.

Source: IAB
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 15:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Renault is reported to be stopping production of the base RxE and automatic variants of the Renault Scala sedan. Only the RxL petrol and diesel variants, along with the top-end RxZ diesel, will be sold.
Now, this makes sense!
Renault showrooms in Tier II cities do not even have these cars on display. (e.g - Coimbatore showroom has only Duster and Lodgy on display, I am not sure whether they have Kwid now)
A person who wants to buy a Scala has to specifically enquire about this car. Are there any chances that anybody with 10L budget would go to Renault showroom just to enquire about sedans? Such buyer already has Duster in his mind!
If you had wanted to push this car, you should have done a lot of marketing around it. Of course it is rebadged Sunny. So what, is Terrano (rebadged Duster) not selling?
Free up the production lines for the Kwid, and get rid of the laggards (you only made them laggards, by ignoring them) such as Scala remaining variants, Fluence, Koleos, Pulse (yes, Pulse, are you satisfied with 100 units per month of a B2 segment car?).
The other option is to give the cars the necessary sales focus, and promote them. They will give some decent sales numbers.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote