Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th September 2013, 15:29   #136

Default Re: Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review

Hello Team BHPians,

Quick update on my D90 ZX+ deal. Karl Slym is definitely putting TML on the way to become a "Fill it, Shut it, Drive it" manufacturer. As per the latest scheme launched by TML, instead of cash discount a buyer gets 3 years of insurance FOC. Add this to the extended warranty and the AMC and I believe we have an offer and a car thats as manageable as the market leading Hyundai's and Maruti's.
deepzkonnected is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 18:36   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepzkonnected View Post
Hello Team BHPians,

Quick update on my D90 ZX+ deal. Karl Slym is definitely putting TML on the way to become a "Fill it, Shut it, Drive it" manufacturer. As per the latest scheme launched by TML, instead of cash discount a buyer gets 3 years of insurance FOC. Add this to the extended warranty and the AMC and I believe we have an offer and a car thats as manageable as the market leading Hyundai's and Maruti's.
Well to add my 2 cents , even without the freebies Vistas and Manzas in general are easily as manageable as the Marutis and Hyundais
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 18:16   #138

Need another help from T-BHPians. This being my first car, I am not too sure of the process followed hence this request.

I have done my token amount payment and booked the car. The bank has disbursed the loan amount to the dealer (have this on email). Should I now pay the balance amount or wait for the vehicle to arrive at the dealer, do a PDI and then pay the balance?
deepzkonnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 23:28   #139
BHPian

Hi deepzkonnected,
Congrats on the new car. I would suggest you to wait till you complete PDI of the car before paying out the balance amount. You can request your dealer about the same.

wishing you an Happy and safe driving
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 11:11   #140

Congratulations Deepak! I own Vista D90 VX, this is a good car and is as good as its peers in its segment (including the refinement levels). Overall, I have enjoyed the ride, though more on longer drives and highways where you feel the real power of this car.

This car feels superbly powered even on steep mountain inclinations with AC turned on.

Good choice overall!
Mahendraps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:08   #141
Senior - BHPian

Last week end was very hectic. Had visits to multiple showrooms & back to back test drives, reason my brother in law wanted to purchase his first car. Budget of around 7 lacs & he wanted only a diesel car. The cars we test drove were:

Amaze i-DTEC SMT
Punto diesel 75ps, Emotion
Etios VD
Swift/Dezire (no test drive car available)
Vista D90 ZX

Listing down our experience with the various TDs. For each TD we were 5 well built adults including with the Sales Exec:

Amaze i-DTEC SMT:
This car has a gem of an engine under its hood. Lift your left foot off the clutch pedal & the car surges ahead. Even when the car is fully loaded, it breaks no sweat. Very compact from outside & roomy from inside. However only the base model of E-MT was within our budget, stretching it slightly to 7.4 lacs.
Even after spending 7.4 lacs we would have to live with flap type mirrors (with no internal adjustment), no fog lamps, no tachometer, no music system, no speakers. Honda has featured the variants in such a manner that you cannot even think of a variant below the S-MT, which costs about 8.36 lacs on road. Result E-MT was ruled out. We cannot pay 7.4 lacs to buy only a world class engine.

Punto diesel 75ps, Emotion:
The car build vowed everyone. The solid doors, the sheet metal. Fiat has made ample use of metal. Even the rear seats have a sheet metal back, so that when they are folded down, you can place heavy objects, luggage on them. The engine has a metal sump guard, +1 to Fiat on that. Test drive was quite eventful & we realized the power of Fiat brakes, when 3 hooligans riding in bike decided to cut across our car from a cut in the divider. The car stopped on the spot, without any fuss.

Only the dynamic variant of Punto fitted in our budget. After the discounts it was coming to 7 lacs. It had most of the necessary features like front & rear fog lamps, rear wiper, ABS-EBD, Auto door locking, driver seat height adjust, External temperature display, tachometer, Electrically adjustable ORVMs etc.

It is a very competent car. I loved the one in oceanic blue colour. However my Father-in-law said that the rear seat felt a bit cramped for 3. Also the rear windows were almost at shoulder height, making it feel a bit claustrophobic. Hence it was ruled out.

Etios VD:
We wanted the TD of the Liva D, but that was not available, hence settled on the TD of Etios VD. I am still puzzled how the Toyota cars drive so well with very conservative power/torque figures on paper.

Again here the scenario was similar to Punto. Only the Liva GD variant was within out budget, but then it lacked some very basic features like fog lamps, rear wiper, tachometer etc. Hence was ruled out.

Swift/Dezire:
No test drive car was available. Also we received a very luke warm response for the Sales Exec. On asking if the Dezire VDi comes with ABS/EBD, the SE asked us at what speed do we drive the car. He said if we don't drive above 100 kmph, we don't need car equipped with ABS . On top of that he said car comes with most important features like power windows, music system etc. We checked the Swift ZDi, which was on display & the rear seat felt very claustrophobic, the rear windows are very tiny. Swift/Dezire was en emphatic "NO"

Vista D90 ZX:
This car was a revelation. Kudos to TML for borrowing not just the Manza dash for the Vista D90, but the all important 90ps VGT Quadrajet engine. The car looks majestic inside out (with the chrome touch-ups on door handles, bumpers, fog lamps etc). I love the tripple barrel headlamps, only chink in the armor being the Christmas tree tail lamps.

We had a ZX D90 for TD. This car too did not break any sweat with 5 of us onboard. It pulled effortlessly in all gears, with minimal sound intrusion inside the cabin. The brakes were excellent.

Though the ZX model was a little stretch at 7.31 lacs on road, the VX D90 at 6.52 lacs on road (outside LBT limits) was well with the budget. Besides this on offer was 3 years insurance free, cash discount of Rs 3,200/- (worth 1gm gold coin), corporate discount of INR 6K.

The VX model has all the important & good to have features like:
ABS with EBD
Front fog lamps
Rear defogger with intelligent wiper
Steering mounted audio controls
Bluetooth with USB & Aux in
Electrically adjustable ORVMs
Storage drawer under co-driver's seat
Height adjustable driver seat with lumbar support
4 speakers with 2 tweeters
Tachometer

I can go on with the list. But this was sufficient enough to close the deal. Cavern Gray colour model readily available in stock with Concorde Motors, Pune. Booking amount was only 10K, but we handed over a cheque of 50K, as we were quite overwhelmed with the Vista D90 VX. Hoping to get the delivery before Diwali after arranging the finances & necessary documentation.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 16th October 2013 at 11:32.
AutoIndian is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

@AutoIndian: Punto Dynamic does have front and rear fog-lamps, rear demister and wiper, ABS and the likes. Who gave you this information?

And the metal cladding on the rear seat is not mainly for placing weights, it's primary purpose is to prevent intrusion from collisions at the rear.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:25   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Vista D90 ZX:
This car was a revelation. Kudos to TML for borrowing not just the Manza dash for the Vista D90, but the all important 90ps VGT Quadrajet engine.
Second that more than willingly. My D90 ZX+ is 7 days old now and I am enjoying every bit of it. There were issues in the the entire Sales experience and the AC unit which I got rectified in my first service yesterday.

Just trying to gather some time for a photo-op and ownership review.
deepzkonnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 11:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@AutoIndian: Punto Dynamic does have front and rear fog-lamps, rear demister and wiper, ABS and the likes. Who gave you this information?

And the metal cladding on the rear seat is not mainly for placing weights, it's primary purpose is to prevent intrusion from collisions at the rear.
My apologies & thank you for pointing out my mistake . I have now corrected it in my post (as it was within the 30 mins edit window). Since the TD vehicles are invariably the top end variants, it creates a lot of confusion regarding the features of the lower variants.

The purpose of the metal cladding on the rear seat was told us by the Sales Exec.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 16th October 2013 at 11:38.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 12:40   #145
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat sales guy deserves a whack on his head if he did not brief you on the variants and features. They ought to do this atleast after going exclusive.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 14:06   #146
BHPian

Quote:
L

Vista D90 ZX:
This car was a revelation. Kudos to TML for borrowing not just the Manza dash for the Vista D90, but the all important 90ps VGT Quadrajet engine. The car looks majestic inside out (with the chrome touch-ups on door handles, bumpers, fog lamps etc). I love the tripple barrel headlamps, only chink in the armor being the Christmas tree tail lamps.

We had a ZX D90 for TD. This car too did not break any sweat with 5 of us onboard. It pulled effortlessly in all gears, with minimal sound intrusion inside the cabin. The brakes were excellent.

Though the ZX model was a little stretch at 7.31 lacs on road, the VX D90 at 6.52 lacs on road (outside LBT limits) was well with the budget. Besides this on offer was 3 years insurance free, cash discount of Rs 3,200/- (worth 1gm gold coin), corporate discount of INR 6K.

The VX model has all the important & good to have features like:
ABS with EBD
Front fog lamps
Rear defogger with intelligent wiper
Steering mounted audio controls
Bluetooth with USB & Aux in
Electrically adjustable ORVMs
Storage drawer under co-driver's seat
Height adjustable driver seat with lumbar support
4 speakers with 2 tweeters
Tachometer

I can go on with the list. But this was sufficient enough to close the deal. Cavern Gray colour model readily available in stock with Concorde Motors, Pune. Booking amount was only 10K, but we handed over a cheque of 50K, as we were quite overwhelmed with the Vista D90 VX. Hoping to get the delivery before Diwali after arranging the finances & necessary documentation.
Also didnt you notice the solidish thud of the doors?
If not please do a comparo of the samae vis a vis to an amaze/etios / dezire.

These manza club classes and Vista D 90S have fairly solidish thud to the doors. Definately an improvement over the the normal manzas and Vistas.
(I own a 2011 Manza Aura Abs)
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 14:47   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The Fiat sales guy deserves a whack on his head if he did not brief you on the variants and features. They ought to do this atleast after going exclusive.
Even my whole experience in the FIAT showroom & the TD was not that overwhelming. The sales guy didn't seem to have the knowledge of all the features in various variants. Can you believe this, this Sky Motto showroom on Telco Road didn't have enough copies of the quotations/price lists & it happened twice that when we requested for a price list, he said give me a couple of minutes, I will take the copies. When we entered the showroom, the lady at the front desk, instead of greeting us turned her head the other way. All these things hardly matter to me, but then my Father-in-law who was the decision maker was not enthused at all. This can happen with any other common man. The sales guys should be passionate about the products they are selling.

The experience at the Concorde, Baner Tata's only company owned showroom was extremely opposite. The moment we entered we were offered a glass of water (Fiat guys too offered us water, but stopped at that). Till the time we could finish that we were asked whether we would like to have a cup of tea or coffee. The lady there was quite enthusiastic. She listened to all our queries patiently & answered to the best of her knowledge. Though some of us may think that this is the least any sales professional has to do, but I am sure this might have played on the mind of my F-I-L & that is why the deal was finalized there. My F-I-L even went to the extent of making the booking amount to 50K (when only 10K was the mandatory booking amount)

Anyways lets stop this discussion over here, we can continue it in the appropriate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Also didnt you notice the solidish thud of the doors? If not please do a comparo of the samae vis a vis to an amaze/etios / dezire.

These manza club classes and Vista D 90S have fairly solidish thud to the doors. Definately an improvement over the the normal manzas and Vistas.
(I own a 2011 Manza Aura Abs)
No doubt on that. Tata uses ample steel in all its cars. I would rate the thud of Vista just under the that of the Punto. That is the reason why the Vista tips the weighing scale at 1140 kilos, whereas the Amaze (despite being a sedan) weighs just 1075 kilos. Not to mention the Etios is just above the tonne mark (VD is 1020kg to be precise).

I don't want to get into a debate that the lighter the car, it is better from FE point of view, but then given the reckless drivers on the roads, the innumerbale potholes/speed bumps etc, I would prefer to be a in solidly build car, rather than a tin can.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 16th October 2013 at 14:57.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 15:20   #148
BHPian

50K, as we were quite overwhelmed with the Vista D90 VX. Hoping to get the delivery before Diwali after arranging the finances & necessary documentation.[/quote]

Congrats and all the very best. I own a 2009 Vista and believe me that there have not been any issues till date! So I can assure you from my side that the car is great.
Do post snaps of your beauty when you get it.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 18:57   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Congrats and all the very best. I own a 2009 Vista and believe me that there have not been any issues till date! So I can assure you from my side that the car is great.
Do post snaps of your beauty when you get it.
Thank you bigben. Just a minor correction. The Vista D90 VX has been booked by my brother in law. Nevertheless I will try to post here as much information as possible & seek help from existing Vista owners like you. You all you folks would answer my queries if required.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:25   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cavern Gray colour model readily available in stock with Concorde Motors, Pune. Booking amount was only 10K, but we handed over a cheque of 50K, as we were quite overwhelmed with the Vista D90 VX. Hoping to get the delivery before Diwali after arranging the finances & necessary documentation.
The on-road price break-up (outside LBT limits) of the Vista D90 VX is given below:

EX SHOWROOM 587,937.00
INSURANCE (3 Years Insurance Free)
R.T.O.CHARGES 65,573.00
OTHER CHARGES 6,000.00
Extended Warranty 5,950.00
ON ROAD 665,460.00

DISCOUNT -
CORP.DISCOUNT 6,000.00
1 Gram Gold Coin Price 3,200.00
NET ON ROAD 656,260.00

No other similarly specced car could match that price