Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th August 2014, 20:40   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkeenlearner View Post
Booked Honda Amaze SX I-DTEC TAFETTA WHITE on 31/7/2014. I am expecting delivery on 7/8/2014.

The SX variant was launched by Honda some months back and the only additions to this variant are the security features like front dual air bags and pretensioner seatbelts.
Congrats! I got my SX Diesel White around 20 days back. There are 2 dealers in my City and one dealer was not taking booking of SX claiming it has no production , my dealer was pushing me for the VX . I wrote a mail to the manager and they assured me delivery in 45 days and they stuck to it.

Im hearing Honda has started producing more SX variants since July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkeenlearner View Post
BTW, how do you find the NVH levels on 2014 manufactured Amaze? Is it an improvement over the initial batch?
NVH was better than the TD car (2013 one) . But still miles behind the Dzire .
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 23:32   #2282

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Congrats! I got my SX Diesel White around 20 days back. There are 2 dealers in my City and one dealer was not taking booking of SX claiming it has no production , my dealer was pushing me for the VX . I wrote a mail to the manager and they assured me delivery in 45 days and they stuck to it.

Im hearing Honda has started producing more SX variants since July.
I was fortunate as the dealer from whom I bought the car had this particular variant in stock and delivered the car in exactly 8 days. I had contacted at least 3 dealers for the same variant in my city and only 1 had this variant. One dealer was quoting a 1 month waiting time! And good that Honda has started producing this variant in bigger numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
NVH was better than the TD car (2013 one) . But still miles behind the Dzire .
I took the delivery today itself and in 50 Km's i drove today I found there was not much noise coming into the cabin. Honda has definitely taken note of high NVH levels and it seems some work has been done.
sidkeenlearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 23:06   #2283
BHPian

My friend who has a diesel amaze, faced a problem today. While in traffic his MIL came on. The accelerator wasn't responding and he had switch on/off his ignition to regain some driveability.
In neutral, the rpm wasn't rising over 2000. but while driving the rpm was able to reach 3000+. Has anyone faced a similar issue ? They will come to check the vehicle tomorrow. No he does not have an OBD scanner
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 22:08   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Recently, my cousin gave his Amaze for 20,000 kms service. I was eagerly waiting for this as I had recommended the Amaze for him ( yes, I did warn him that Honda is not going to be cheap to maintain as a Toyota, but should be cheaper to maintain than the Swift in the long run )

This is the first paid service for Amaze. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the service bill. When Honda released the Amaze, they promised that the maintenance cost will be low. But, it doesn't seem to be the case, atleast for even services.

Honda Amaze Diesel 1 year/20,000 kms service cost split-up

Odomoter reading - 17,000 kms
Total Bill came to 13,728 INR

Out of that,

brake pad replacement cost ( 2190.44 ),
rotor polishing cost ( 898.88 ) and
Interior cleaning cost ( 1573.04 )

should be deducted to get the actual service cost for 20k service.

So, that would be 9066.3 INR. It's still too costly for a 20,000 kms service considering the fact that the oil used is not fully synthetic.

These are my main grudges against the 20,000 kms service cost of Honda Amaze.
  • The lack of AC filter and having to clean AC vents every 20,000 kms using foam is a stupid expense for a car in this segment.
  • The fact that Honda doesn't mention the amount of brake pad left after every service puts the customer off guard and he doesn't have any idea as to whether he should check the brake pads at some point before the next service just to be on the safer side. This creates additional expenses in the form of rotor polishing or even disc replacements.
  • By not using the Denso Life time fuel filter ( like in the case of Qualis, Innova and the Etios ), an additional 3119 has to be spent every 20,000 odd kms.
  • The 6 months service interval is going to be a pain in the a** especially for people who run around 10,000 kms per year.
  • The fact that the first 3 free services are finished within 10,000 kms by pushing a useless service at 5,000 kms . This would have saved another 1,500 for the customer had they kept the first 3 services as 1000, 10,000 and 20,000.
Now, a few questions to the Amaze customers here.
  1. Did any of the owners here ever replaced the Amaze brake pads ? If so, at what odometer reading ?
  2. The service center guys claim that the brake pad life issue is due to the driver not getting used to the high low end torque combined with the "rush ahead" mannerism of the Amaze as soon as you release the clutch on second gear. This causes the driver to use more brakes, if you don't shift and use clutch intelligently. Since, the people who have used this vehicle are careful drivers, I couldn't think of any other logical reasoning myself as well. Any similar experiences here ?
Also, did a comparison of the service cost of my Etios' 20,000 kms service. Pasting it here.

Name:  service_cost_20000_comparison.png
Views: 5013
Size:  55.1 KB

Last edited by amalji : 27th August 2014 at 22:09.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 03:00   #2285
BHPian

I have done the one year service on my vxmt idtec . As my running was low the sa told me not to replace the fuel filter . I changed the engine oil and filter . He also mentioned that premature pad wear is a problem . Honda has done absolutely nothing to address it . He told me if the break pads wear out in a year under 10k kms they are replaced under warranty . I must say the review here of the honda diesel is misleading in my opinion , the engine is very rough , feels sluggish , my dzire vdi on the other hand does not make a harsh noise nor does it feel sluggish .The oem music system is bad to say the least , dzire's is much better . The only plus point this car has is more interior space as compared to the dzire . The engine is too noisy and rough for my taste . I have owned the vxmt idtec for a little over a year now . Not a happy customer .
anky is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 03:02   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
When Honda released the Amaze, they promised that the maintenance cost will be low. But, it doesn't seem to be the case, atleast for even services.
Welcome to reality

Quote:
[*]The lack of AC filter and having to clean AC vents every 20,000 kms using foam is a stupid expense for a car in this segment.
Well, this is a very stupid omission from Honda, just goes to show how much thought they have put into designing a car meant for this country.

Quote:
[*]The fact that Honda doesn't mention the amount of brake pad left after every service puts the customer off guard and he doesn't have any idea as to whether he should check the brake pads at some point before the next service just to be on the safer side. This creates additional expenses in the form of rotor polishing or even disc replacements.
This is not followed by a majority of the brands in the market, and even if followed, depends heavily on the A.S.S. where it's serviced. AFAIK, the pad life (in mm's) is mentioned in toyota and ford only (and that too in specific A.S.S.'s ONLY). So, don't fret on this point.

Quote:
[*]By not using the Denso Life time fuel filter ( like in the case of Qualis, Innova and the Etios ), an additional 3119 has to be spent every 20,000 odd kms.
Get this out of your head. There is nothing like a 'life time' anything. There is a specific life for everything. This 'life-time' tag is used only because the company estimates that majority of the users would have changed their cars by the time the replacement is required. The denso filter you speak of has a life of ~1.5 lac kms or xx years (yet to confirm this).
The etios also comes with 'life-time' transmission fluid which is only marketing talk. Ford also puts the same in almost all it's cars. It's still advised to change the oil after 5 years or 100-150k kms IF you plan to keep the car long term.
Honda may have claimed that it's designed the brio/amaze to be low maintainence, but they are still leveraging the honda brand to extract money from it's customers. Unless informed, any A.S.S. will try to increase the bills. Toyota is no angel either.

Quote:
[*]The 6 months service interval is going to be a pain in the a** especially for people who run around 10,000 kms per year.
You must be certainly aware of this before buying. So, why complain?

Quote:
[*]The fact that the first 3 free services are finished within 10,000 kms by pushing a useless service at 5,000 kms . This would have saved another 1,500 for the customer had they kept the first 3 services as 1000, 10,000 and 20,000.[/list]Now, a few questions to the Amaze customers here.
Again, you must be aware of this before buying, so refrain from complaining. This practice is followed by almost all manufacturers. They gotta keep their dealers happy.

Quote:
[*]Did any of the owners here ever replaced the Amaze brake pads ? If so, at what odometer reading ?
Avg. life of 20-30k kms, if you are careful.

Quote:
Also, did a comparison of the service cost of my Etios' 20,000 kms service. Pasting it here.
You seem to be a big fan of the low TCO of toyota. Me too

That aside, there is no point in complaining about the amaze. It has it's strengths and weaknesses. You must certainly be aware of it before recommending it.

Also, point to note: the brake pads of the car are on the costlier side. Labour is on the higher side as well.

Thanks,
Simple_car

Last edited by Simple_car : 28th August 2014 at 03:03.
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:34   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I have done the one year service on my vxmt idtec . As my running was low the sa told me not to replace the fuel filter . I changed the engine oil and filter .
Ah, that's a good process that is being followed ( I hope, Honda approves that and don't crib about this for any future warranty claims if at all the need arises ). How much was your odo reading for the 1 year service ?

Quote:
He also mentioned that premature pad wear is a problem . Honda has done absolutely nothing to address it . He told me if the break pads wear out in a year under 10k kms they are replaced under warranty .
What does he say about the root cause of the issue ? Does it match with what our SA has mentioned ?

Quote:
I must say the review here of the honda diesel is misleading in my opinion , the engine is very rough , feels sluggish , my dzire vdi on the other hand does not make a harsh noise nor does it feel sluggish .The oem music system is bad to say the least , dzire's is much better . The only plus point this car has is more interior space as compared to the dzire . The engine is too noisy and rough for my taste . I have owned the vxmt idtec for a little over a year now . Not a happy customer .
The roughness is mainly due to the aluminium engine, I guess. The engine tone is different. But, I'm a bit surprised about the sluggishness comment. Maybe, because of the linear power delivery right from the start, you are not experiencing that big jump in power after a certain rpm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Welcome to reality

Quote:
Well, this is a very stupid omission from Honda, just goes to show how much thought they have put into designing a car meant for this country.
This is the thing that I never expected. When Toyota and Ford mentioned that they designed the Figo and Etios keeping in mind the Indian ( and emerging market ) customers, and that the maintenance cost will be low, they really meant it. Post Figo and Fiesta, it's only a myth that Ford is costly to maintain. They are designed to be easy on your pockets. The latest example being Ford Ecosport.

Quote:
This is not followed by a majority of the brands in the market, and even if followed, depends heavily on the A.S.S. where it's serviced. AFAIK, the pad life (in mm's) is mentioned in toyota and ford only (and that too in specific A.S.S.'s ONLY). So, don't fret on this point.
Should we put such low expectation from a brand like Honda ? Forget Toyota and Ford. Even a small MASS ( not the dealer ones ) in some remote area used to warn me about brake pad wear and ask me to re-visit the service center after X kms, just to be sure. If they knew that this was an issue, they should have been more proactive for sure.

Quote:
Get this out of your head. There is nothing like a 'life time' anything. There is a specific life for everything. This 'life-time' tag is used only because the company estimates that majority of the users would have changed their cars by the time the replacement is required. The denso filter you speak of has a life of ~1.5 lac kms or xx years (yet to confirm this).
See, logically these life time filters needs to be replaced only when the check fuel filter indicator comes on in the dash. That's what is written in the manual. There is an Etios which has done 3 lakh kms plus in Kochi. And it was changed at 1.7 lakh kms. And its costs are in the range of the regular filter. So, if you can give the customer something of that high a durability, why not just give it? Why do we always think of everything as money spinning exercises ? Toyota has always given priority for durability and cheap cost of maintenance. Ford has changed for good. I have atleast 3 close friends who owns a Ford car and own(ed) a Maruti. All of them are of the same opinion that their Ford ( Fiesta, Figo, Ecosport ) are much cheaper to own that any of their Marutis. With the case of Maruti, they can relax because we - "Indians" will still say that Maruti is cheap to maintain based on our memory of the 800 and the Zen. But, never so with Honda. They are digging their own grave with these astronomic service bills. The expectations of an Amaze customer is entirely different.

Quote:
The etios also comes with 'life-time' transmission fluid which is only marketing talk. Ford also puts the same in almost all its cars. It's still advised to change the oil after 5 years or 100-150k kms IF you plan to keep the car long term.
Honda may have claimed that it's designed the brio/amaze to be low maintainence, but they are still leveraging the honda brand to extract money from it's customers. Unless informed, any A.S.S. will try to increase the bills. Toyota is no angel either.
I haven't encountered one attempt from my service center guys to do something which is not said on the periodic service manual. And I have not seen this on Ford customers near me as well. In fact, for a few of my friends in Bangalore, brake pad replacement was offered at 60% discount. And I'm hearing that even FIAT's CEO has set a target to make FIAT cars the cheapest to maintain. So, I'm not going to generalize here. We have atleast 2 companies which has kept the maintenance cost low. And there is another which is trying sincerely. With Honda though, the words spoken felt so insincere. That AC foam wash design was the thing that irritated me the most. That proves that they simply did not care about keeping the service cost low.

Hyundai is the biggest hoax people in this respect trying to push completely useless things into service ( that too without even taking the permission of the customer ). Honda does it to some extent. So, do Maruti. But, I'll never generalize based on that.

Now, regarding life time. Yes, Toyota ASS recommends replacements around 1.5 lakh kms. But, that's close to life time in every sense. If you use the car for 3 lakh kms, you replace these things just once! And you have to appreciate them for designing it that way. Even Honda's coolant is designed to last 2,00,000 kms. This can be referred to as life time. No issues in that.

Quote:
You must be certainly aware of this before buying. So, why complain?
Quote:
Again, you must be aware of this before buying, so refrain from complaining. This practice is followed by almost all manufacturers. They gotta keep their dealers happy.
End of the day, the only thing that matters is how much it burns the customer ?
If someone from Honda ( I'm reasonably sure they do ) follows this thread, they should read it and don't take the Indian customer for granted. Especially when a user who supported them on most posts in here criticize them for something. If I know something before hand, and still recommend it, it's due to some trust that the maintenance cost will be comparatively low. They promised so on Amaze release day. So, when they don't do that, we have to list out every reason why it is so high regardless of whether I know it before or not. Someone with some sense should read it from the Honda side.

PS: I had an experience of Toyota asking explanation from my service center through email when I replaced the engine mount of my car with the newly designed engine mount used on the new Etios and shared it on team-bhp. They did this within 3 days of posting and had put the reference URL as my ownership thread URL. I have seen similar behavior even with Tata.
So, that means many brands do follow these threads.

Now, regarding ASS needing revenue, it's a bad logic is what experience has taught me. In the long run, customer is the king. You forget that and you will come down like anything. And without customers, it'll go into a downward spiral just the way, FIAT went.

Quote:
Avg. life of 20-30k kms, if you are careful.
That's a bit low. Any pointers on what might be the reason for such a low cost.

Quote:
You seem to be a big fan of the low TCO of toyota. Me too
Yes, for sure. The innovas, qualis and the Etios that I know of has made that faith very strong. They design things to be very durable. This is one thing, that many of our car reviewers miss out on. In fact, I saw one of the reviewers on autocar mention that Etios spares are 10-15% costlier than Dzire and hence it will be costlier to maintain. That was the biggest joke I have read in recent times. The fact was that these 10-15% costlier spares lasts 2 times ( like the air filter ), sometimes 4 times ( like in the case of coolant ), and sometimes even 8 times ( like in the case of Diesel fuel filter )

Quote:
That aside, there is no point in complaining about the amaze. It has it's strengths and weaknesses. You must certainly be aware of it before recommending it.
I still recommend the Amaze as the best entry level hatch to chose due to its practical and at the same time aesthetic design, easy drivability, and the trust on Honda brand. But, that doesn't mean I'm happy with the service cost.

Quote:
Also, point to note: the brake pads of the car are on the costlier side. Labour is on the higher side as well.

Thanks,
Simple_car
2190 for brake pads are reasonable. Atleast, it doesn't have the poor bite as in the case of Dzire. It has a proper brakes. So, 500 or so odd more expense is just fine especially when you consider the critical nature of the part being used.

Last edited by amalji : 28th August 2014 at 08:46.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:43   #2288
BHPian

That's a very thoughtful comparison. Wish all owners put up their maintenance expenses. Etios is indeed cheaper to maintain than Amaze. My friend is considering a purchase, and this will certainly tilt it in Toyota's favour for sure.

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 08:51   #2289
Team-BHP Support

Regarding the AC filter. Maruti doesn't give the AC cabin filter with most of their cars. The actually charge you for the AC filter if you want it.

Secondly, the AC filter has nothing to do with cleaning vents. I have to get my Altis AC vents cleaned with foam to prevent the bacterial smell from entering the cabin atleast once a year. The AC system is anyways a closed loop system. When you don't have an AC filter it does not mean that the AC works only in the fresh mode allowing dirty air into the cabin.

Some designs provide the additional filter whereas others do not. In both designs you will need AC vent cleaning to prevent fungal bacteria build up. AC vent cleaning is also an easy way to increase a bill. I usually opt out of it as 3M centre's do a much better job. Toyota tries to push this on me during the service.

The diesel filter cost does not match with the price published in Autocar parts survey. As per them the diesel filter cost is only Rs.1,300 and not Rs.3,000. You may want to get this double checked.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 09:06   #2290
BHPian

@amalji
Hi as you can read from my comments i do not drive my honda much . I have driven just 1700 kms in the 13 months i have owned it . Compared to this my dzire driven for 15k in the same time by my driver and me .
About the quality of the brake pads the sa told me honda has not improved the quality and they do wear out fast . I agree here that compared to my dzire vdi the amaze has more confidence inspired braking .
Regarding ac filter i have fitted the filter in my wagon r lxi and my dzire . Will get it done in the amaze soon .
I know sir that this is an all aluminium engine to keep the weight low . But for marginal better fe nvh is highly compromised .
Thanks Ankush .
anky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 09:53   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Regarding the AC filter. Maruti doesn't give the AC cabin filter with most of their cars. The actually charge you for the AC filter if you want it.

Secondly, the AC filter has nothing to do with cleaning vents.
A few points of concern that I have are
  • Why do they have to push this as a must do thing ? Entry level sedans are bought by the cost conscious. I have been using my Etios for 2.5 years without any kind of smell on the AC. I don't even use a perfume.
  • The lack of filter explanation is given by Honda's own SA when my cousin pushed to find out the reason why it's a must do for Honda Amaze. Is there any probability of fitting an AC filter on the Amaze ? Any idea on that ?
  • Also, Maruti charging for AC filter is still fine. Anyway, it's something that has to be replaced every 30k kms or so. If Honda doesn't even give the customer to have one fitted, then it's bad. In this case, such an option was not told to him.

Quote:
I usually opt out of it as 3M centre's do a much better job. Toyota tries to push this on me during the service.
Thanks for this information.

Quote:
The diesel filter cost does not match with the price published in Autocar parts survey. As per them the diesel filter cost is only Rs.1,300 and not Rs.3,000. You may want to get this double checked.
Will get this checked. Thanks a ton, @Vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's a very thoughtful comparison. Wish all owners put up their maintenance expenses. Etios is indeed cheaper to maintain than Amaze. My friend is considering a purchase, and this will certainly tilt it in Toyota's favour for sure.

If you consider the service cost alone, it comes to 9000 odd. The reason why it went till 13,700 is because of the issues with brake pads ( 3100 ) and since my cousin opted for interior cleaning as well ( which costed 1500 odd )

Quote:
@amalji
Hi as you can read from my comments i do not drive my honda much . I have driven just 1700 kms in the 13 months i have owned it . Compared to this my dzire driven for 15k in the same time by my driver and me .
About the quality of the brake pads the sa told me honda has not improved the quality and they do wear out fast . I agree here that compared to my dzire vdi the amaze has more confidence inspired braking .
Regarding brake pads, it might not necessarily have to do with the quality. Sometimes it could be due to the "very eager" nature of the car in second gear. So, if you drive it mostly in high traffic areas, it will wear out fast. If we find out the root cause, we should also be able to find out a work around to keep the brake pads running for longer. It is the knowledge of what exactly is the issue that matters. For example, in the case of Corolla Altis, the problem was identified as lack of engine braking being the culprit. I had faced the same issue on my Esteem as well.

Quote:
Regarding ac filter i have fitted the filter in my wagon r lxi and my dzire . Will get it done in the amaze soon .
I know sir that this is an all aluminium engine to keep the weight low . But for marginal better fe nvh is highly compromised .
Thanks Ankush .
Please do let us know, if there is an option to fit the ac filters and if so, what is the cost?

Last edited by amalji : 28th August 2014 at 10:08.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 10:18   #2292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A few points of concern that I have are
  • Why do they have to push this as a must do thing ? Entry level sedans are bought by the cost conscious. I have been using my Etios for 2.5 years without any kind of smell on the AC. I don't even use a perfume.
  • The lack of filter explanation is given by Honda's own SA when my cousin pushed to find out the reason why it's a must do for Honda Amaze. Is there any probability of fitting an AC filter on the Amaze ? Any idea on that ?
  • Also, Maruti charging for AC filter is still fine. Anyway, it's something that has to be replaced every 30k kms or so. If Honda doesn't even give the customer to have one fitted, then it's bad. In this case, such an option was not told to him.
Most of the dealers push for silly things. The Toyota dealer here tried to push window spray to make the power windows go up and down smoother. They push some silly battery cleaning for Rs.400 along with the AC vent cleaning. It's terrible to tell them NO. Same thing with Hyundai and Maruti. The smell depends on your AC usage. I get the smell in my Altis sometimes. When you use the AC 100% of the time, the vents and the ducting are always cold, this can result in moisture build up. The resultant moisture takes time to dry up resulting in formation of mildew and mold in the AC ducting. The foam is anti bacterial spray that kills the bacteria.

When I said Maruti charges for AC filter I meant they don't give you an AC filter at all when you buy a new car. It is an optional accessory that you need to buy when taking delivery of your new car. Or they sell it to you during first service if you didn't put it when taking delivery.

Not sure if Amaze has the AC filter but if it does it will definitely be there somewhere in the manual.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 10:34   #2293
BHPian

@amalji
Please do let us know, if there is an option to fit the ac filters and if so, what is the cost?

I saw the youtube video honda mobilio Ac cabin filter replace and it's the same as the amaze.
I'm sorry as I have not fitted the cabin air filter yet I do not know the cost , if not available with honda I will buy the next best size and cut it to fit it in as it's made of paper anyway .
Thanks Ankush .
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160216.jpg  

Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160226.jpg  

Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160120.jpg  

Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160039.jpg  

Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160100.jpg  

Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160107.jpg  

Honda Amaze : Official Review-20140821_160114.jpg  

anky is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 10:58   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
So, that would be 9066.3 INR. It's still too costly for a 20,000 kms service considering the fact that the oil used is not fully synthetic.
20K KM servicing costs of Amaze turning out to be approx Rs. 9,000.
While the 70K KM servicing cost of a higher segment Ford Fiesta of a fellow Bhp-ian coming out to be Rs. 2400 only. Here is the link.

I guess Honda is taking Indian customers for granted because of its already established premium brand image. While Ford is working hard to establish its presence in Indian market.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 12:53   #2295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the dealers push for silly things. The Toyota dealer here tried to push window spray to make the power windows go up and down smoother.
They push some silly battery cleaning for Rs.400 along with the AC vent cleaning. It's terrible to tell them NO. Same thing with Hyundai and Maruti.
In Nippon Toyota, Kochi I've a completely different experience.
for eg:-,
  • when I asked about changing the wiper blade, they suggested to change only the wiper blade rubber, and not the wiper blade as a whole.
  • When I asked for synthetic oil, the advice given was "you don't really need a synthetic oil. he re-assured me that the Innovas run only on mineral and they know of many vehicles which has completed more than 3 lakh kms. ". It was on my insistence that he went ahead and used synthetic. Same experience was met with my friend - Vinu as well with the same dealership.

Regarding interior cleaning, I got it free at 20,000 kms along with insurance renewal. Again, got it for free at 40,000 kms as part of SMILES pack.

The only thing that they tried pushing was paint protection. That was genuine as well. He parked my Etios next to another white etios and showed me the yellowy shade in my car. So, I said, I'll do it along with 60,000 kms service since I'll get a decent discount as part of SMILES pack then.

Quote:
The smell depends on your AC usage. I get the smell in my Altis sometimes. When you use the AC 100% of the time, the vents and the ducting are always cold, this can result in moisture build up. The resultant moisture takes time to dry up resulting in formation of mildew and mold in the AC ducting. The foam is anti bacterial spray that kills the bacteria.
Makes sense. So, that could be the reason why there is no smell coming from my AC vents. I prefer driving with windows open whenever the outside temperature, quality of air, and sound decibel outside permits. It's only in heavy traffic drives and highway drives on sunny days that I use AC. Else, fresh air is what I go for.
But, again my point is why would Honda make it a must-do activity after putting the blame on lack of AC filter. This should have been strictly optional considering the amount being spent on it. And they should have recommended him to buy an AC filter as well.

Quote:
@amalji

I saw the youtube video honda mobilio Ac cabin filter replace and it's the same as the amaze.
I'm sorry as I have not fitted the cabin air filter yet I do not know the cost , if not available with honda I will buy the next best size and cut it to fit it in as it's made of paper anyway .
Thanks Ankush .
Cutting might not be a good idea. There should be a filter with the correct size. A well designed filter can hold more dust before it gets clogged. So, if Honda OEM ones are available, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
20K KM servicing costs of Amaze turning out to be approx Rs. 9,000.
While the 70K KM servicing cost of a higher segment Ford Fiesta of a fellow Bhp-ian coming out to be Rs. 2400 only. Here is the link.

I guess Honda is taking Indian customers for granted because of its already established premium brand image. While Ford is working hard to establish its presence in Indian market.
While I agree to the fact that Ford is much cheaper to maintain than a Honda, comparing 20k and 70k is a bit biased for the following reasons.
  • In 70k service ( odd service ), there is no fuel filter replacement and no AC vent cleaning. ( that straight away reduces the amount of Amaze service by around 4200 odd ). So, the cost would be 4800 instead of 9000.
  • And I'm reasonably sure that the 2400 service cost of Fiesta doesn't include Alignment and Balancing. So, if we add that part, it would come to 3,200 odd. So, the difference is just around 1,600 if we strictly compare only the 70k service with comparable jobs done.

Last edited by amalji : 28th August 2014 at 12:54.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote