Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 22:27   #706
BHPian
 
ssbshankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_dce View Post
I took a TD for the same reason. And I am 5'10" , and my friends are somewhere in the same range, a couple of inches more or less. Each of us has booked a car. We were 4 people and coupled with the sales rep, we all could sit comfortably in the car so the space is sufficient I believe.
Regarding rear space, I felt its good compared DZire and I have not really checked Etios and others. 3 med sized people could sit. Anyways, car of this size/segment is meant to be for 4 adults and a kid. 5 adults can be "adjusted" for short drives.
A fact to note: Amaze is 1680mm in overall width and Honda City is 1695mm. Amaze is mere 15mm (1.5cms) narrower to City and if City can fit 3 people in rear, one can imagine how close Amaze is in rear space.
ssbshankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 22:31   #707
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 743
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The Amaze trumps the Etios in almost ever department.
Agree with almost everything you say except for the quoted text. This is a blanket statement.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:07   #708
BHPian
 
ssbshankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Agree with almost everything you say except for the quoted text. This is a blanket statement.
I agree, Amaze does beat Dzire in "almost" every department, except the front dashboard (again subjective) and AC control.
If front dashboard and AC control are of not of importance, then one can buy Amaze "with closed eyes". I'm unable to see any other departments where Dzire does better than Amaze.
ssbshankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:17   #709
BHPian
 
drpudhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Erode/Kovai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review



Sorry for going OT but couldn't really resist sharing this especially with all the Dzire Vs Amaze comparisons going on, particularly on the looks front.

Swift Dzire is crowned the India Design Mark's Good design award!
Would have digested any other award to Dzire. But good design and that too considering all the other sedans? Come on!

http://www.carwale.com/news/10365-ma...ign-award.html
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:19   #710
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 343
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
He must have revved the car in neutral, its a safety feature whereby rpm is restricted to 2k its mentioned somewhere in review too. Its also present in honda city(but till 4.5k)
Well i never knew that. Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Agree with almost everything you say except for the quoted text. This is a blanket statement.
Sir to be brutally honest with you, i am also of the same opinion because i feel that the Etios and the Amaze are not in direct competition. However i did some research and came up with the following numbers :-

Lets start with the Pricing.

#All prices are on road delhi taken from Carwale.com

Honda Amaze Emt Petrol On road Delhi :- Rs 5,44,938
Toyota Etios J Petrol On road Delhi :- Rs 5,96,308

Honda Amaze Emt Diesel On road Delhi :- Rs 6,60,905
Toyota Etios JD Diesel On road Delhi :- Rs 7,62,923

There is a difference of about 50K between the base variants of the Amaze petrol and the Etios Petrol where as there is a more significant difference of Rs 1,00,000 between their diesel base variants.

Also the base variant of the Etios be it the Diesel or the Petrol does not even get Power windows. This makes it obvious that a want for ABS and EBD is kinda out of question right now.

Coming to the engine part :-

Honda Amaze Petrol :- 1.2L producing 87 BHP and 109Nm of torque. 92 BHP/Ton

Toyota Etios Petrol :- 1.5L producing 89 BHP and 132Nm of torque. 97 BHP/Ton


Honda Amaze Diesel :- 1.5L producing 99 BHP and 200Nm of Torque . 93 BHP/Ton

Toyota Etios Diesel :- 1.4L producing 67 BHP and 170Nm of Torque. 67 BHP/Ton


Toyota has plonked and amazing petrol engine in the Etios, however the Amaze wins hands down when it comes to Diesel.


However the Etios costs more for a reason, it is more car. It offers more space in the back and nearly 200 Liters of additional boot space to what the Amaze offers. And also it drives better.

So in essence it is a trade of. What one gets for Lakh more is a bigger car with more space. However what one gets for a car costing a Lakh less is a safer car with a better engine and space which is more than adequate considering the price difference.


Last edited by Enigmatic : 18th April 2013 at 23:21.
Enigmatic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:26   #711
BHPian
 
NST440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 179
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

@enigmatic I agree with all you have said, what I am sensing here is a lot of futile jealousy and the "my car is the best" factor. Lets be very fair, the amaze beats dzire, etios in almost all the departments -looks, pricing, space and the engine.

Let me clarify I do not own any of these, I am just seeing all from a prospective buyers perspective. I would request all to pls. test drive the car, its a good job done by the Japanese.
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:36   #712
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,157
Thanked: 702 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Finally booked Petrol VX MT at Dakshin Honda C- Red pearl color.
Delivery will be in may end or june first week. Got an assurance from them in writing on the booking form that they will provide cover note for insurence from outside. In the afternoon there was not much rush and a lady attended me who was much more knowledible then SA at other dealership.

Experience at Dakshin Honda Singasandra Showroom was much better I could take longer test drive on a variety of surfaces.

1. Car does not bottom out on humps and broken roads.And this time AC performance felt similar in petrol and diesel sales advisor confirmed it is same unit in both.

2. Petrol engine feels OK for city driving though not as good as Diesel.

3. VX MT has double horn so sounds OK but in lower varients horn is too feeble.

4. Horn sits in front of radiator quite low so don't know if it will be affacted by rains. SA said please don't compare with your safari in all honda cars horn is usually placed low and it works.

For those who are considering Diesel versus Petrol apart from the number of KM you drive do consider the fact that warranty is 40K KM.
In modern Diesel engines nothing goes wrong in this limit and problems if any will surface post 50K KM. The Common Rail and Injecters are denso
as per information given by Carb.

So I am not sure if you can maintain outside Honda A.S.S. so factor in possibility of fat maintenance bills later on

I did not notice much improvement in new Etios either in terms of NVH or AC
but each to his own and Amaze NVH was not bad either.

Amaze engine has timing chain instead of belt still NVH is amazingly low and not like other chain drive diesel engines. Advantage of chain is that you are protected against catastropic failure and timing belt life is nearly 60K to 1 L KM and it does not come cheap.

Well NVH is not bad for a diesel car and one important point here is that engine is mounted on liquid filled mounts so NVH will remain like this after 30-40 K KM as well. In other vehicles NVH is low in new vehicle but as engine is on rubber mounts it starts getting loose and after 20K KM the NVH increases. Even if the mounts are changed it will not be as good as factory and NVH comes back to sqaure one in 2 months.

Just listen to sound of new Etios / Linea / Verna/Innova/Safari/Scorpio or any other Diesel car and compare the sound with a 6 months old car and you will know what I am trying to say.

Differences are Airbags , Height adjustible driver seat , Elctrically folding OVRM , Heat absorbing wind shield. Out of these first 2 are really important.
Have been hearing not so great feedback about Dakshin Honda. I know someone who booked before the launch, he was promised a delivery within one month. And now , it seems he has to keep calling them to check on the exact delivery dates !! He is now thinking of cancelling this booking and opting for the dezire!!
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 07:38   #713
Newbie
 
sugato_basu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Angul Odisha
Posts: 15
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Eagerly awaiting ownership feedbacks ...
The kerb weight of Etios is shown to be more than Amaze ... is it true ?
sugato_basu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 11:33   #714
BHPian
 
shabash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 55 Times
Thumbs down Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

As some of you might have read I had decided to cancel my booking for the Amaze as I felt the top end version was not value for money and did not want to go for the S option due to its lack of security features. So as per the instructions of the Sales guy I had sent a mail to the respective person in the Honda dealerships to cancel and refund the money. 3 days on I did not get any reply. So I sent a SMS to the Sales guy and guess what the guy says it will take 20 working days to process the refund amount . I told him that when the cheque was encashed it took only 2 days, so why 20days for refund. No answer to that though.

This is where our businesses are pathetic. When taking money it is all bliss and glory, when it comes to giving it back (in this case they even keeps 2500 Rs - More than 10% of the booking amount of Rs 21000) they take their own sweet time
shabash is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:02   #715
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 743
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbshankar View Post
I agree, Amaze does beat Dzire in "almost" every department, except the front dashboard (again subjective) and AC control.
If front dashboard and AC control are of not of importance, then one can buy Amaze "with closed eyes". I'm unable to see any other departments where Dzire does better than Amaze.
Sir, we are talking about Etios not Dzire.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post

Sir to be brutally honest with you, i am also of the same opinion because i feel that the Etios and the Amaze are not in direct competition. However i did some research and came up with the following numbers :-

Lets start with the Pricing.

#All prices are on road delhi taken from Carwale.com

Honda Amaze Emt Petrol On road Delhi :- Rs 5,44,938
Toyota Etios J Petrol On road Delhi :- Rs 5,96,308

Honda Amaze Emt Diesel On road Delhi :- Rs 6,60,905
Toyota Etios JD Diesel On road Delhi :- Rs 7,62,923
Why are you considering only the base variats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Coming to the engine part :-

Honda Amaze Petrol :- 1.2L producing 87 BHP and 109Nm of torque. 92 BHP/Ton

Toyota Etios Petrol :- 1.5L producing 89 BHP and 132Nm of torque. 97 BHP/Ton


Toyota has plonked and amazing petrol engine in the Etios, however the Amaze wins hands down when it comes to Diesel.
The BHP/ton on paper is not sufficient my dear friend. In GTO's words, Etios petrol is one of the most fun to drive petrol car. IMHO Amaze petrol is no where near that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
However the Etios costs more for a reason, it is more car. It offers more space in the back and nearly 200 Liters of additional boot space to what the Amaze offers. And also it drives better.

So in essence it is a trade of. What one gets for Lakh more is a bigger car with more space. However what one gets for a car costing a Lakh less is a safer car with a better engine and space which is more than adequate considering the price difference.

Safer car statement does not hold good if you compare the top end variants, and the price difference is also reduced to 50K with the top-end variants. I agree it is good to have safety feature as standard even in the lower variants + Airbags in Amaze is 2-stage.

Etios is not a sub-4m car, so they do not have the cost saving that Honda has.

Also, AFAIK Etios has a proven engine, better handling/ride, CD player, a better MID and a lower maintenance cost to name a few areas where it trumps Amaze other than space (where it trumps Amaze big time)

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 19th April 2013 at 12:11.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:34   #716
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,249
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
This is where our businesses are pathetic. When taking money it is all bliss and glory, when it comes to giving it back (in this case they even keeps 2500 Rs - More than 10% of the booking amount of Rs 21000) they take their own sweet time
This is interesting to read, the sales person with whom we interacted in Magnum Honda claimed a full refund will be made in case of a cancellation. Which variant had you booked? was it petrol or diesel?

We have booked the Diesel, and might downgrade it from the V to S Variant as I felt its not VFM to go in for V Variant.

Regardless of Honda, Even Ford takes a cut of the booking amount. We had made an advance payment of 20K and they have mentioned that they will deduct 2K. However the payment will be done over a period of 2 weeks.

Was surprised to say the least.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:35   #717
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 343
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post



Why are you considering only the base variats?
Sir because the base variant is what defines the car in terms of how VFM it is. Nearly all manufacturers now offer safety equipment on their top end variants however it is the base variant which makes a compelling case for itself when it offers more than the competetion.
Quote:
The BHP/ton on paper is not sufficient my dear friend. In GTO's words, Etios petrol is one of the most fun to drive petrol car. IMHO Amaze petrol is no where near that.
I agree with you, numbers cannot define a car. And that is what i had earlier said as well " Toyota has plonked an amazing petrol engine in the etios". However when it comes to the Diesel motor(which the indian public is inherently more attracted to) the etios falls back big time.

More over even if we compare the mid variants of both the Etios and the Amaze, still the Etios falls back :-

Honda Amaze SMT Diesel On road Delhi :-Rs 7,58,721
Etios GD Diesel On road Delhi :- Rs 8,03,895

Here also there is a considerable difference of Rs 60K. And still the Etios does not offer ABS+EBD .

Quote:
Safer car statement does not hold good if you compare the top end variants, and the price difference is also reduced to 50K with the top-end variants. I agree it is good to have safety feature as standard even in the lower variants + Airbags in Amaze is 2-stage.
Yes it does not hold true if we compare the top end variants.
And that is why we need to compare the base variants to see which is a more VFM offering.

Quote:
Etios is not a sub-4m car, so they do not have the cost saving that Honda has.

Also, AFAIK Etios has a proven engine, better handling/ride, CD player, a better MID and a lower maintenance cost to name a few areas where it trumps Amaze other than space (where it trumps Amaze big time)
Exactly, the Etios is not a sub-4m car and hence it looses out on the excise benefit. Moreover this means that the Etios and the Amaze are not in direct competition. However there is bound to be cross shopping.

And sir things like a CD player is nitpicking, if that is the case then the Amaze has Electrically controlled and retractable ORVM's.

I completely agree with the better engine(petrol), ride/handling and the space part(which it should give since it is not a sub 4m car). I wont agree on the lower maintenance part as the amaze has yet to prove itself.

However the cash that one saves and the kit that one gets as standard makes the amaze a more VFM offering than the Etios.

Like I had said earlier, its all about choice. If one wants a BIG boot with lots of space in the back then Etios it is. However if it has to be a sub 4m car which saves you plenty of cash, offers plenty of kit as standard and has the best space inside and the best boot in its class then the Amaze it is.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 19th April 2013 at 12:38.
Enigmatic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 12:48   #718
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 743
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
However the cash that one saves and the kit that one gets as standard makes the amaze a more VFM offering than the Etios.
Now, this is a more reasonable statement, I had a problem with "The Amaze trumps the Etios in almost every department. " I do not agree with that.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 13:15   #719
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 66
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Hi,

I am moving from my swift diesel to AMaze EMT diesel.

Need quick info from you guys

1> Can Amaze accomodate 6 X 9 oval speakers in rear parcel tray?
2> Is 185/65/R14 a good upgrade? I am considering Energy XM2
3> Suggest a 2 DIN HU with bluetooth connectivity (Budget < 8K)

Thanks
Shashant
Amidst all the comparison. Can you guide somebody who has already booked Amaze.
shashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 14:37   #720
BHPian
 
shabash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
This is interesting to read, the sales person with whom we interacted in Magnum Honda claimed a full refund will be made in case of a cancellation. Which variant had you booked? was it petrol or diesel?
My contract document very clearly says Rs. 2500/- will be deducted. So I am not surprised at that, but I am surely surprised at the delay. 20 working days translates to almost a month - which I think is too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
We have booked the Diesel, and might downgrade it from the V to S Variant as I felt its not VFM to go in for V Variant.
+1 to that V is an overkill, considering the fact that it does not even have Climate control. Add another 100K rupees and you are in the next segment. Of course fuel efficiency will be less by 20-25% I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Regardless of Honda, Even Ford takes a cut of the booking amount. We had made an advance payment of 20K and they have mentioned that they will deduct 2K. However the payment will be done over a period of 2 weeks.

Was surprised to say the least.
As I said earlier, I knew that I will lose money, but I was ready to forego it in case I had to cancel it. So it was a calculated risk.
shabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze: Oil leak, engine seized! A bad experience with Honda service parimal_g Technical Stuff 163 16th July 2016 02:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks