Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:54   #766
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 1,224 Times
Smile Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
It is not only the roads, driving at 140 kmph in India is a suicide mission IMHO. The uncertain and unexpected events/ visitors in the form of cattle, dogs, villagers, jerks driving in opposite direction, bullock carts, trucks without tail lamps are an inviting recipe for disaster!
Cattle/dogs is a very rare scenario because in the road that I gave as an example, road is in a raised position on most places. And the same is applicable again on the roads in middle east where Camels come and stand in the middle of the road. It's safer and easier to handle cattle and dogs.
Jerk driving in opposite direction is a rarity as well. But, then yes, some one would do that. But, that's even done by the crazy Arab kids in middle east countries. It's not an India only phenomenon.
PS: I've heard that driving in opposite direction is a norm in many highways in UP. But, that's not the norm at all.
Trucks without tail lamps becomes an issue only in the night. And I'll never recommend driving at high speed at night.

The only point I was trying to make was that it's wrong to say that 'Indian' roads are not meant for 140. There are indeed many roads in India where you can do that speed safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Had a close look at Amaze last night. Was parked at Russel Street-Park Street crossing, with proper number plate. Might be the first car on Kolkata road. It was diesel model, "s", silver colour.
I was really surprised to see how well-proportioned the car looks. It doesn't give a small car feeling at all unlike the Brio. For a sub four metre car, the design is really amazing.
+1. It's a design marvel considering that the beauty, space, and boot are all done within the 4m constraint.

Last edited by amalji : 23rd April 2013 at 13:58.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:16   #767
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,038
Thanked: 720 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1 to what @sunil told. Top speed simply cannot be 140 on the Amaze. Even a 68 PS 170 Nm Etios D-4D reaches 165 kmph. Amaze engine should be able to cross 170 kmph for sure.
In all probability, the amaze has the same limiter as the brio - the brio tops out at 155'ish on the speedo which corresponds to around 143-144 on GPS/VBOX. No matter what you do, the brio won't do more than 5300 rpm in 4th/5th gear.

I'm guessing its the same thing in both the petrol and diesel amaze.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:49   #768
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,358
Thanked: 18,822 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
Can someone please help and give me some idea about what is it with getting ICE fitted in E-MT I will be getting soon.
Anirban Bhaumik saw your post and wrote in with some advice via our Facebook page here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anirban Bhaumik via FB
Do not buy the music system from the dealer as that will be too expensive. Get it done from Milan Subway. For warranty you just have to make sure that the wires are neither cut nor trimmed. One word of caution that in case you are doing that you have to stand there with eagle eye as they tend to cut the wire while fitting the speaker. Should tell them that you will bear the cost for the couplers (INR 10/20 each for speakers) and (INR 100-250 for the music system - this generally comes free). And Amitksvs - Congrats for ur Amaze!!
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:46   #769
BHPian
 
Turbokick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 509
Thanked: 228 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

In all probability, the amaze has the same limiter as the brio - the brio tops out at 155'ish on the speedo which corresponds to around 143-144 on GPS/VBOX. No matter what you do, the brio won't do more than 5300 rpm in 4th/5th gear.

I'm guessing its the same thing in both the petrol and diesel amaze.
90% of the Amaze and Brio owners wont require speed above 140-145 kmph I believe. Even if road conditions are fine and you get the opportunity to open the throttle, these light cars with punny tyres arent very comfortable at such high speeds. I dont like pushing my dzire over 120-130kmph nor did I find the Brio to be very comfortable in triple digit speeds.

For speeds above 150 kmph I would like to be in cars from higher segment. Something like Linea or Laura or Civic.

Honda has done a good thing I feel

Last edited by Turbokick : 23rd April 2013 at 16:50.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:16   #770
BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 764
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
90% of the Amaze and Brio owners wont require speed above 140-145 kmph I believe. Even if road conditions are fine and you get the opportunity to open the throttle, these light cars with punny tyres arent very comfortable at such high speeds. I dont like pushing my dzire over 120-130kmph nor did I find the Brio to be very comfortable in triple digit speeds.
Not to forget the fact that you can't(Legally)
For speeds above 150 kmph I would like to be in cars from higher segment. Something like Linea or Laura or Civic.

Honda has done a good thing I feel
Where in India can you push a car over 120 legally?

It is not only illegal but also unsafe given the sense of traffic rules of the general public on the road.

It may be a M800 , it may be a Ferrari, you still use the same road as a Bullock-Cart!!
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 22:07   #771
BHPian
 
rohit_dce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 81
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Had a close look at Amaze last night. Was parked at Russel Street-Park Street crossing, with proper number plate. Might be the first car on Kolkata road. It was diesel model, "s", silver colour.
I was really surprised to see how well-proportioned the car looks. It doesn't give a small car feeling at all unlike the Brio. For a sub four metre car, the design is really amazing.
Indeed! The car looks nothing like a small car and it instead looks more like a complete sedan. If you see the feature list and the comfort level of the car, you'd forget that you are sitting in a compact sedan!
rohit_dce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:50   #772
Newbie
 
shypals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 7
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

AMAZing review for the new Honda Baby! Apart from the turn off of looking like sibling of DZire from side and behind, the front is pretty decent. Dunno much about the engine performance, Honda being new to diesel, should be decent, if not the best in the segment.
I had test driven one last week but found the engine lacking in power as compared to DZire or SAIL. I was wondering if this could be due to extra mileage despite being higher cc engine or typicality of a test drive car. Had kept the decision to book the car pending until reading this review and the comments from fellow BHPians. By now I have almost decided to book it! Thanks BHP!
shypals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 08:53   #773
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 2,861
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shypals View Post
Dunno much about the engine performance, Honda being new to diesel, should be decent, if not the best in the segment.
I had test driven one last week but found the engine lacking in power as compared to DZire or SAIL. I was wondering if this could be due to extra mileage despite being higher cc engine or typicality of a test drive car.
It is not clear, if you are referring here to the petrol or diesel Amaze test drive. If it is the latter then I am quite surprised. Though I respect your opinion, it is hard to believe. If you look at the first page of this thread where GTO has done a comparison with Dzire & Sail, the Amaze has far superior figures of Power/Weight & Torque/Weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Name:  Amaze Specs Comparo  Reduced.JPG
Views: 9434
Size:  63.0 KB
Also refer the below section from the opening page, where GTO has mentioned that "the Amaze blows the Dzire away"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Driving the 1.5L Diesel
As opposed to the Honda petrols we know, this 1.5L i-DTEC focuses entirely on low-end power delivery. Simply put, in-city driveability is outstanding. Turbo lag is nearly inexistent, with the diesel motor responding well from idle rpms itself. Power delivery is linear in comparison to our national engine, the 1.3L MJD. That also means there is none of that sudden punch at 1,800 - 2,000 rpm. The engine has an incredibly tractable nature and within town, you only need to give it light accelerator inputs to potter about. The 1.5L moves away from crawling speeds in 2nd without breaking into a sweat, and even passes the 2nd gear speed-breaker test with flying colours. Throttle response at <2,000 rpm is satisfactory, unlike some of its competitors who are still waiting for the turbo to start spooling. Though it isn't recommended, I managed to pull away from standstill in 2nd with very minor clutch slipping. When driving in slow traffic, we are constantly shifting between the 1st & 2nd ratios, and this is exactly where the Amaze blows the Dzire away. In-city driveability is a highlight of the engine...the 1.3L MJD-powered competition just can't compete in this area. When traffic conditions are less dense, you could use 3rd gear as an automatic from 25 km/h up all the way to 110. Though you feel the engine generating peak torque past 1,800 rpm, there is no turbo kick that the 1.3L MJD-powered cars give you.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 10:11   #774
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 1,232 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji

Cattle/dogs is a very rare scenario because in the road that I gave as an example, road is in a raised position on most places. And the same is applicable again on the roads in middle east where Camels come and stand in the middle of the road. It's safer and easier to handle cattle and dogs.
Jerk driving in opposite direction is a rarity as well. But, then yes, some one would do that. But, that's even done by the crazy Arab kids in middle east countries. It's not an India only phenomenon.
PS: I've heard that driving in opposite direction is a norm in many highways in UP. But, that's not the norm at all.
Trucks without tail lamps becomes an issue only in the night. And I'll never recommend driving at high speed at night.

The only point I was trying to make was that it's wrong to say that 'Indian' roads are not meant for 140. There are indeed many roads in India where you can do that speed safely.
It's a matter of pessimism and optimism. You are looking at Indian highways optimistically IMO. I have driven my fair bit on Indian highways, very few (read it VERY FEW) roads can make you hold such speeds for more than 5 minutes. Add to this, like others have mentioned such speeds are illegal. You are just inviting trouble for yourself in such cases.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 24th April 2013 at 10:20.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 16:45   #775
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
It's a matter of pessimism and optimism. You are looking at Indian highways optimistically IMO. I have driven my fair bit on Indian highways, very few (read it VERY FEW) roads can make you hold such speeds for more than 5 minutes. Add to this, like others have mentioned such speeds are illegal. You are just inviting trouble for yourself in such cases.
I Agree with you. 3 digit speeds are not safe in India. Not just cattle/dogs, but sometimes humans who are worst than that. One might be a very experienced driver but, since the factors that lead to accidents are typically not in our control, It is better to stick to safe speeds always. Its not just our life. We do not want to be held responsible for taking some other precious life isnt it ?

So for all those who want to test their top speeds, At least don't brag about it. It is way off topic since Honda Amaze is not a race car
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:04   #776
BHPian
 
pyrodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: guwahati
Posts: 118
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Honda seems to have a winner in their hands. The dealer here in guwahati says they already delivered 30 cars in the first 10days. Waiting period said to be 6-8 weeks.
Still awaiting the first teamBHP ownership report..
pyrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 22:56   #777
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,281
Thanked: 1,654 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam View Post
Talking about boot, the lack of any finesse in the internal finish of boot door (naked metal, holes, wires, etc) looked horrible. Didn't expect it from Honda.
It is the same with the City also. And for the Dzire too.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 06:47   #778
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,111
Thanked: 1,224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I Agree with you. 3 digit speeds are not safe in India.
Don't quite agree with that statement. With good brakes and decent dynamics, 100 kmph is quite safe. Many highways have a speed limit set as 80 to 90 kmph. And these roads are designed for 100 plus speeds. I agree that speeding should not be encouraged. But at the same time, do not agree to blanket statements like 'Indian highways are not good to cruise at 3 digit speeds'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Not just cattle/dogs, but sometimes humans who are worst than that. One might be a very experienced driver but, since the factors that lead to accidents are typically not in our control, It is better to stick to safe speeds always. Its not just our life. We do not want to be held responsible for taking some other precious life isnt it ?
Agreed, do you stick to the speed limit always? I find that speed limit on most roads outdated and unscientific. Our roads and cars have improved a lot and many of the Indian highways can handle 3 digit speeds quite easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
So for all those who want to test their top speeds, At least don't brag about it. It is way off topic since Honda Amaze is not a race car
1. 3 digit speeds are not race car speeds.
2. Top speed discussion is just to see the capability of the car. Doesn't mean someone has to drive at that speed. Gives a relative idea about the speeds at which the engine will feel relaxed for cruising.

Did a comparison of the Amaze's parts replacement interval with that of the competition.

Name:  comparison_maintenance1.png
Views: 6271
Size:  117.0 KB

From what we see, Amaze could be as costly or more than a Swift to maintain thanks mainly due to the shorter service intervals. For people who does 15k to 20k per year consistently, the running cost would be more economical per km. But, for 10,000 kms per year people, the Amaze should be costlier to maintain than even a Swift Dzire.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2013 at 19:07. Reason: As requested
amalji is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 09:26   #779
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 252
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
But at the same time, do not agree to blanket statements like 'Indian highways are not good to cruise at 3 digit speeds'
I guess things are going slowly OT here. Anyways no one has commented or said that Indian Highways aren't good to cruise at 3 digits. What we are saying is, the lack of road discipline and surprises as mentioned already make it unsafe to drive at such speeds. Rest depends on drivers' confidence and the risk he/ she is ready to take, which IMHO is not worth it at all!
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 09:27   #780
BHPian
 
ssbshankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Honda Amaze : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Did a comparison of the Amaze's parts replacement interval with that of the competition.

Attachment 1077269

From what we see, Amaze could be as costly or more than a Swift to maintain thanks mainly due to the shorter service intervals. For people who does 15k to 20k per year consistently, the running cost would be more economical per km. But, for 10,000 kms per year people, the Amaze should be costlier to maintain than even a Swift Dzire.
What I heard from Honda service folks and couple of my friends who own Honda cars (city) is, the intervals specified are to give ensured, safe/trouble free journeys. They do not really mean that Car really requires such intervals. It's more from preventive perspective.

Last week end i did a 300km drive on my 7 year old santro and on the way back I saw two Toyota vehicles (I was really surprised) were off the road with bonnet open. One was private Etios! and another was yellow board Innova. Hope they were off the road for some minor reasons only. So far I have not seen any Honda city off the road like this. Probably, this gives some importance to taking preventive measures. I also feel Honda is going bit high on this, but personally feel its better than getting off the road while on a family trip. So far Honda has done well in this aspect of ensuring your trips to be trouble free. We need to see whether it holds good as Honda enters with a Diesel engine.
ssbshankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze: Oil leak, engine seized! A bad experience with Honda service parimal_g Technical Stuff 163 16th July 2016 02:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks