Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2014, 16:12   #196
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,667
Thanked: 19,377 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Mahindra Reva Electric Vehicles is looking to start selling the E2O in European markets like UK and Norway by the end of the year. The company is working on features like power steering, airbags, ABS and enhanced battery to make the car suitable for introduction into the proposed markets.

Additionally, Mahindra Reva is also looking at an entry into Sri Lanka, which is another country that offers incentives on electric cars. About four months ago, the company entered Nepal and just a week ago, started selling cars in Bhutan. Around 30 E2O cars have been exported to the two countries till now.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 15:28   #197
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Hello All,

Its time for me to update my experience with the e2o. I had a disappointing experience during my trial by renting it for two days which made me to post this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3314368 (Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review)

However I had to buy this vehicle as none came to solve my fuel expenditure. Now I'm proud to say that I made a good choice by buying it.

Everything I mentioned earlier in that post is valid but the ease of drive and the cost/km is definitely a winner. However I take back my 1st point from the post about distance/charge. Its the way you drive the car matters and the kind of road. On the same route with A/C on with 3 people in the car I'm now able to travel 33km by consuming 36-40% charge. It took sometime to drive efficiently but eventually you'll get to it.

I bought this car in "You drive we pay" scheme from M&M. And trust me my expenditure is almost nil. I had a fuel expenditure of about 9k-10K per month for my 80Km (two way per day) in my scorpio. Now for the same distance I'm probably spending less than 200Rs per month.

I've been using this car since three months now and covered more than 3500 km. Overall a happy owner of this car.
abacusv is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:21   #198
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 45
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
Hello All,

Its time for me to update my experience with the e2o. I had a disappointing experience during my trial by renting it for two days which made me to post this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3314368 (Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review)

However I had to buy this vehicle as none came to solve my fuel expenditure. Now I'm proud to say that I made a good choice by buying it.

Everything I mentioned earlier in that post is valid but the ease of drive and the cost/km is definitely a winner. However I take back my 1st point from the post about distance/charge. Its the way you drive the car matters and the kind of road. On the same route with A/C on with 3 people in the car I'm now able to travel 33km by consuming 36-40% charge. It took sometime to drive efficiently but eventually you'll get to it.

I bought this car in "You drive we pay" scheme from M&M. And trust me my expenditure is almost nil. I had a fuel expenditure of about 9k-10K per month for my 80Km (two way per day) in my scorpio. Now for the same distance I'm probably spending less than 200Rs per month.

I've been using this car since three months now and covered more than 3500 km. Overall a happy owner of this car.
Hey abacus,

am super happy to know bout this!!! Congratulations on your purchasing the coolest car in the industry.

I think we had a discussion bout the merits of the car and i also countered all the points made by you. All it takes is efficient driving habits and rest ensured, $$$$ will get printed by the car for u

I have driven around 5500 km and my total expenditure has been only Rs 2500 odd. This is an unbeatable deal.
kamyfc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 10:30   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyfc View Post
Hey abacus,

am super happy to know bout this!!! Congratulations on your purchasing the coolest car in the industry.

.
Thanks @kamyfc. Yes one should read your response too. With little planning you can use this car to every city need. And another point, a portable cable is very essential. With that we can charge any where since it is a 15amp socket which is available in almost every house. This will help in emergency situation where your charge isn't sufficient.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 11:31   #200
BHPian
 
sirius1845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

1400 KM AND 160 Unit electricity till date.The extra units are for music system, AC and GPS. In my safari that would have cost me 156 L diesel and around INR 9500.

Feels good enough for city drive. Not a single day have i been stranded due to lack of charge. All charging was one at home and office trips and daily outside trips to malls and even a trip after daily office run , I had to go to Jayanagar from whitefield and back to whitefield. the charge was sufficient with 20% remaining. This is certainly not a daily milk run car as some people wrongly point out. Mahindra has done a good job.
The E20 consistently returns around 90km or more per full charge with AC and occasional boost mode.
I travel at around 65-72 km/hr on the outer ring road without boost mode. feels good.
sirius1845 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 17:26   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 322
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

I was seriously considering e2o for my city runs and mainly for my wife to use it as her daily drive. However I got to know from the Mahindra Reva Executive, that the "Goodbye Fuel, Hello Electric" scheme is not applicable for company leased cars. It can be availed only for individuals who buy it on their name. This is a bit of disappointment as my main criteria was to take it through company lease to get some tax respite. Without this scheme, there are no other benefits other than 15k cash benefit.

During my long chat with the executive, I was also told that the Quick2Charge will take another 3 months time and it cannot be provisioned at home due to the additional (or call it special) setup needed to charge the car. It would cost more as it needs an 12V power supply, something that I am not aware of. What is the challenge to set it up at home?

Also can e2o pull along well with 4 well built adults and 2 kids on board? I understand the range will be compromised due to the heavy load, but does it really have the capability to pull along easily in the traffic?

I for many reasons want to go the electric way, but the severe short comings with range/PRICE/charging time are not letting me to take a decision. I will soon take a test drive, but very unlikely I go ahead and buy this one.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 17:50   #202
BHPian
 
slamnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I was seriously considering e2o for my city runs and mainly for my wife to use it as her daily drive. However I got to know from the Mahindra Reva Executive, that the "Goodbye Fuel, Hello Electric" scheme is not applicable for company leased cars. It can be availed only for individuals who buy it on their name.

During my long chat with the executive, I was also told that the Quick2Charge will take another 3 months time and it cannot be provisioned at home due to the additional (or call it special) setup needed to charge the car. It would cost more as it needs an 12V power supply, something that I am not aware of. What is the challenge to set it up at home?

Also can e2o pull along well with 4 well built adults and 2 kids on board? I understand the range will be compromised due to the heavy load, but does it really have the capability to pull along easily in the traffic?
The "Goodbye fuel Hello Electric" Scheme is not restricted by Mahindra Reva for leasing, as a matter of fact the Leasing companies do not lease under this scheme.

The fast charger requires a dedicated 12KV & not 12V, and also a 3 phase power supply, both of which are not available in most households, If you can provide this Mahindra Reva is ready to install the fast charging infrastructure.

The range will not be compromised with 4 adults, as the vehicle has a payload capacity of 300 kilos, hence 4 avg sized adults can travel without any range compromise.
slamnos is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:19   #203
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,702
Thanked: 20,014 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
The range will not be compromised with 4 adults, as the vehicle has a payload capacity of 300 kilos, hence 4 avg sized adults can travel without any range compromise.
Not sure I'll agree with this. The claimed range on paper is one thing, but there's no doubt that additional weight will take more of a toll on the battery (compared to less passengers), especially if there's more stopping/starting and inclines. That said, I don't imagine the drop in range being too significant.

Samabhi, the bigger concern for 4 large adults + 2 children in an e2o would be cabin space!

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:59   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,389
Thanked: 608 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

We have a automatic A-star that we use near our house and my wife uses it for smaller distance travelling everyday. Lately, I have been spending close to 5K on fuel. Been wondering if e2o would be a good alternative since its size it suitable for the use.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 17:27   #205
BHPian
 
slamnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure I'll agree with this. The claimed range on paper is one thing, but there's no doubt that additional weight will take more of a toll on the battery (compared to less passengers), especially if there's more stopping/starting and inclines. That said, I don't imagine the drop in range being too significant.
The claimed range is with a payload of 300 kilos, hence harldy a difference on road.

And also the electric motor doesnt consume any energy when you do not accelerate hence even in stop/go traffic there isnt much of difference as compared to IC engines, in inclined roads yes the vehicle consumes more battery energy.
slamnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 18:06   #206
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,702
Thanked: 20,014 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
The claimed range is with a payload of 300 kilos, hence harldy a difference on road.
Yes, but all the reviews and 'real world' figures that samabhi might have been referencing were not. Hence he can expect a drop in range when compared to those figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
And also the electric motor doesnt consume any energy when you do not accelerate hence even in stop/go traffic there isnt much of difference as compared to IC engines, in inclined roads yes the vehicle consumes more battery energy.
The reason i mentioned start/stop traffic is not because of the wait period at a standstill -- but because of the additional amount of power that starting-off from 0 km/h will use. Starting off from 0 km/h can use the same amount of power as encountering an incline whilst at speed (of-course, there are many variables here).

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 22:56   #207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 322
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
The "Goodbye fuel Hello Electric" Scheme is not restricted by Mahindra Reva for leasing, as a matter of fact the Leasing companies do not lease under this scheme.
Mahindra Reva is restricting this too, as the monthly deduction for the battery cannot be done through the company. As per the leasing companies restricting it, there is no such restriction. Atleast the one tied up with my company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Samabhi, the bigger concern for 4 large adults + 2 children in an e2o would be cabin space!
It seems decent and not a problem for short drives for which it will be mainly used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Yes, but all the reviews and 'real world' figures that samabhi might have been referencing were not. Hence he can expect a drop in range when compared to those figures.
The executive whom I spoke with candidly agreed that the range is going to be reduced with higher load.
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 22:16   #208
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Also can e2o pull along well with 4 well built adults and 2 kids on board? I understand the range will be compromised due to the heavy load, but does it really have the capability to pull along easily in the traffic?

I for many reasons want to go the electric way, but the severe short comings with range/PRICE/charging time are not letting me to take a decision. I will soon take a test drive, but very unlikely I go ahead and buy this one.
I'm using e2o from 4 months now and my daily commute distance 2 way is 80km. I take a express way of 25km one way and 15km city traffic one way. The efficiency has been 95-100km for 100% charge consistently from past 4 months. This is with A/c occasionally. We are 3 commuters with moderately built. My friend is 6 feet tall and finds comfortable sitting behind. Even 2 such people behind had no problem. I'm almost 6 feet and stretch the seat backwards and never had complaints from back seaters.

The catch with the km is regenerating technology. During breaking and hill descends, the battery gets charged back. I take the express way to avoid city traffic, while there is hill ascend while going but, descends while coming back. So what gets consumed extra one way gets charged back while coming. I tried to evaluate the efficiency on bumper to bumper traffic route.
The distance comes down to 45km two way and efficiency is 85-95km per 100% charge. This is mainly cos, I use full time A/C in traffic.

Overall I'm a very happy customer of E2O. Hope this review helps you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
We have a automatic A-star that we use near our house and my wife uses it for smaller distance travelling everyday. Lately, I have been spending close to 5K on fuel. Been wondering if e2o would be a good alternative since its size it suitable for the use.
Before E2O I use to travel by scorpio on the same route mentioned above. My monthly expenditure on fuel was around 9000-10000 p/m. Now I get a power bill ranging from 800-1000Rs and with the "You drive we pay" scheme from mahindra which pays the power on kilometer driven, It just costs me 50-200 Rs. I'm really saving huge on fuel cost.
abacusv is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 09:50   #209
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sudev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,380
Thanked: 1,808 Times
Default

Went for a test drive yesterday. Interesting ride and thanks to GTO I was prepared for some of the quirkiness like braking.

The test car had done 11k kms and showed its age and multiple drivers handling.

I expected that with ABS panels the car would be insulated inside somewhat more than metal bodies. Not so.

Any idea what sort of grade this can climb?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 10:33   #210
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,702
Thanked: 20,014 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Reva e2o : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Any idea what sort of grade this can climb?
Given the flat torque curve of an electric motor / max torque at virtually 0 rpm -- this should be able to climb the steepest of hills.

As mentioned in the review, I took it up the steepest climbs i could find, and it did them with ease. Using boost mode will speed things up.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodbye Fuel, Hello Electric: Ownership scheme for Mahindra Reva e2o Aditya The Indian Car Scene 8 19th February 2014 13:52
SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O" mac187 The Indian Car Scene 204 1st April 2013 11:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks