Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd September 2013, 19:52   #76

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

The new safari advert on tv shows a metal bull bar/nudge gaurd, is this different from the black one that is shown in the pictures of the explorer edition
sebastianjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianjoseph View Post
The new safari advert on tv shows a metal bull bar/nudge gaurd, is this different from the black one that is shown in the pictures of the explorer edition
Yeah its a different one. I did not like its looks at all. And the Hellas fitted on top of it looked like the eyes of a bug on stalks. Completely spoiled the clean lines of the front of the Storme that has grown on me (always love the backend treatment).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 19:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Yeah its a different one. I did not like its looks at all. And the Hellas fitted on top of it looked like the eyes of a bug on stalks. Completely spoiled the clean lines of the front of the Storme that has grown on me (always love the backend treatment).
Exactly. However the other nudge guard design is nice and suits light colors. It also gives slightly aggressive touch to the front, which storme always craved for.
YGarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 17:12   #79
BHPian

I own a VX 4x4 which has just clocked 2100kms so far. When I try to use 4x4 it's hard to make full turns in regular roads. It almost stops or rear wheel skids slightly. It feels like front wheels have stopped turning and back wheels are trying hard to push the front wheel which has turned completely. I took it to Tata Motors and mechanics did a test drive and told me that its normal behavior as limited slip and other stuff works and 4x4 works best only when vehicle is moving straight. I haven't believed it though. Have anybody faced the same issue or can comment on this please?
csd42419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 09:56   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
I own a VX 4x4 which has just clocked 2100kms so far. When I try to use 4x4 it's hard to make full turns in regular roads. It almost stops or rear wheel skids slightly. It feels like front wheels have stopped turning and back wheels are trying hard to push the front wheel which has turned completely. I took it to Tata Motors and mechanics did a test drive and told me that its normal behavior as limited slip and other stuff works and 4x4 works best only when vehicle is moving straight. I haven't believed it though. Have anybody faced the same issue or can comment on this please?
Don't use 4x4 on road. It can damage the transmission and tires. The Storme does not have a centre differential, so in 4X4 the front and rear axles are directly linked. When you turn, the front axle moves a different distance than the rear and this causes strain on the drivetrain/tires. There are better explanations on the web.

And the TATA Mech was right, even off road a locked differntial makes it harder to turn, but it matters less since the transmission can easily release stresses over slippery ground.

Please read the manual carefully! Cheers!
aerosaurous is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 16:58   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I own a VX 4x4 which has just clocked 2100kms so far. When I try to use 4x4 it's hard to make full turns in regular roads.
Please read the manual on 4x4 usage immediately. Usage of 4x4 on dry/tarred roaads will damage your drive train and steering.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 13:34   #82
BHPian

Thanks guys for your valuable suggestions. Luckily I did not try it hard in paved roads. I am wondering on below topics.*

1)*Storme VX 4x4 specs says it has limited slip differentials. Is this applicable for both the axles or just rear axle. What mechanism is used in Stome for LSD. Is it electronically controlled by individual wheel breaking?

2)*Owner manual mentions first oil change only at 15000 kms/1 year. Service advisor also mentioned they will not change oil on first 1.5k or 5k service as mentioned in the manual. Is it advisable to change the oil when I go for 5k service or even before that? I had demanded and got an oil change before taking delivery as vehicle was in TM yard for more than 90 days before delivery.*
Attached Images

csd42419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 19:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

So the service interval for the Safari Storme 15000 Kms? That is quite a leap from 5k for our dicor and if the reliability isn't hampered then its a welcome change. We end up paying about 15 to 20 thousand every service owing to oil and oil filter change and some suspension bush change or some other thing that failed.

Agreed that its close to 1 lakh kms but its just too expensive.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 22:04   #84
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So the service interval for the Safari Storme 15000 Kms? That is quite a leap from 5k for our dicor and if the reliability isn't hampered then its a welcome change. We end up paying about 15 to 20 thousand every service owing to oil and oil filter change and some suspension bush change or some other thing that failed.

Agreed that its close to 1 lakh kms but its just too expensive.
Not sure if I am missing something here. Safari 2.2 DICOR was always with 15K or 1 year [whichever is earlier] after the 1st service of 3 months [if I am right].

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 22:54   #85
Senior - BHPian

oh ok. Mine was the 3L dicor. That has a 3 month or 5k kms service interval. So thats good to know.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 09:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1)*Storme VX 4x4 specs says it has limited slip differentials. Is this applicable for both the axles or just rear axle. What mechanism is used in Stome for LSD. Is it electronically controlled by individual wheel breaking?
The Storme has a mechanical LSD at the rear axle ONLY. It is not electronically controlled.

Quote:
2)*Owner manual mentions first oil change only at 15000 kms/1 year. Service advisor also mentioned they will not change oil on first 1.5k or 5k service as mentioned in the manual.
It is highly recommended to adhere to ALL the oil changes as mentioned in the manual, especially during the earlier services since the filings collected due to the brand new engine running-in. DO NOT AVOID THIS.

Secondly, even though the manual stipulates regular oil changes at 15000kms, I would replace the oil (mineral, semi synth or synthetic) at 10000kms going by the kind of conditions our vehicles are used in.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 10:30   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Devdath, there's enough discussion in a dedicated thread on that aspect of early / on-time oil changes ..
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 11:11   #88
BHPian

Guess the new XUV 500 now has 160 mm clearance, so Safari now has the edge ?
biplav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 12:02   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
Guess the new XUV 500 now has 160 mm clearance, so Safari now has the edge ?
If I hang a shoe below safari and make GC 100mm, will it matter?
Well thats the kind of thing Mahindra has done. Put some kind of low slung guard under the engine. I think Tata should also put a guard under the front guard made of 10rs chinese plastic.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 13:08   #90
BHPian

Well I thought it was more to save on tax breaks....
http://www.hindustantimes.com/autos/...1-1089483.aspx
The Safari is a true blue SUV ground clearance
biplav is offline   Reply With Quote