Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 22:09   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGarg View Post
It doesn't appear to be a problem with oxygen / air sensor (In which case, your engine performance would've been affected more, not just Speedo hunting). Most likely its speed sensor failue or loose connection.
Day 1: Troubleshooting at TM. TM showroom had their own set of problems. Their laptop was bad to check the engine codes. They have sent my car to another showroom to get the engine error codes and haven't given me proper answer as to what has gone wrong.

With all the comments I am receiving from you guys and internet () information I am feeling that it must be speedo sensor issue itself . However I am not able to connect few dots.
1) While speedo meter jumping/hunting + engine check light on, what is making car to loose power drastically and bring me from 90~40kmph and slowly takes me back to 80~90 when I press the clutch for a while and press the accelerator again.
2) Why this is happening randomly only when I go for long drives (around 250~300kms) and all 3 times it happened during my return journey in the late evening/night.
3)What is making my car to clear engine check light to clear by itself when I reach back city and restart the engine.
4) Last time when I gave it TM for this problem few days ago they told me that they could not see any error codes at all. Does ECU show error code only when engine check light is lit on when they hook the laptop to OBD-II port?


Waiting for Day 2 of TM troubleshooting tomorrow to see what awaits for me to hear from them.
csd42419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 09:40   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 95
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
For the second time while cruising on highway my Safari Storme VX 4x4 Malfunction/engine check Indication Lamp turned on. While it was on speedo meter was acting crazy jumping from 80 to 140kmph and some times dropping to 40 from 80kmph rapidly. Power used to drop significantly during this time. I also noticed that the vehicle used to reduce its rpm to 1200. When this happened for the first time 15 days ago I went to Tata Motors and got a thorough check. They told that they did not find any error logs recorded by ICU nor they found any mechanical/electrical issue. They suspected this to be an one of case where fuel would have been mixed or of low standard in the bunk where I filled diesel. They gave me a clean chit saying this wouldn't repeat. I experienced this*today*again and captured a video of speedo meter acting weird. This time I had filled in a different fuel station in a different town, almost 200 kms away from the previous bunk. Below is the video link that I uploaded it to youtube. My vehicle has just run 3000kms and I am still using it very smoothly (running under 2200 rpm) as part of run-in proceedure. Have anybody come across similar issue with your Safari?**
I am not an expert, but when you notice the check engine light and the speedometer jumps. Do you also find your lights dimming or getting bright? If you do, then it could be your alternator malfunctioning. Again it's just my opinion and I am no car expert but seems like the voltage in your car is fluctuating, and this could be caused by the alternator.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Post edited. Avoid typing with excessive dots....like....this. Please go through forum rules.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th November 2013 at 10:10. Reason: Removed excessive dots.
v_2rahjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 10:18   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
I am not an expert, but when you notice the check engine light and the speedometer jumps. Do you also find your lights dimming or getting bright? If you do, then it could be your alternator malfunctioning. Again it's just my opinion and I am no car expert but seems like the voltage in your car is fluctuating, and this could be caused by the alternator.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Post edited. Avoid typing with excessive dots....like....this. Please go through forum rules.
No, I did not notice any dimness while I get speedo jump + Check engine light. Most prominently I can feel the rapid power loss every 4~5 mins. Its almost like engine stalls for 30secs and comes back to life.
csd42419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 11:46   #109
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
Day 1: Troubleshooting at TM. TM showroom had their own set of problems. Their laptop was bad to check the engine codes.
What this basically means is that they never checked for error codes the previous time and gave you some lame excuse. This kind of nonsense is what makes Tata's already questionable reputation even worse. Since the check engine light was not there when you went, they must have just told you that they can't find error codes.

Also remember that many functions including fueling are based on the speed sensor input to the ECU. So essentially when you are at 80 when the speed sensor gives a reading of 80, your CRDe system will reduce fuel flow accordingly resulting in power loss.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th November 2013 at 11:48.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 19:03   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions on Check Engine issue. TASS called me today and told that they replaced speedometer sensor and claimed that they monitored the vehicle whole day. I will take my car tomorrow from the service station. I may have to wait 2 more weeks as I am planning to take a long trip on highway and confirm the problem is completely fixed. I have asked the service in charge to tell me the ECU error code that they got before I take the vehicle delivery as in charge is having no clue yet. As per him his mechanic told that they have got 2 similar cases on Indigo CS and changing speedo sensor fixed the issue and they hope same with mine as well. I am planning to buy a OBD/DTC error code reader myself so that I can do some self check before approaching TASS.
csd42419 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 23:08   #111
BHPian
 
YGarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kota, Rajasthan
Posts: 111
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

If the problems could be pinpointed using some common sense and a bit of experience by a handful of Tbhp-ian, why the hell these service centre guys seem so ignorant initially? (I had an injector chocking issue on my karizma ZMR last year, for which company replaced injector, sensors as well as fuel pump! The worst part of story was convincing service engineer about this, though I somehow knew that its the injector which went kaput).
YGarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 12:49   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions on Check Engine issue. TASS called me today and told that they replaced speedometer sensor and claimed that they monitored the vehicle whole day. I will take my car tomorrow from the service station. I may have to wait 2 more weeks as I am planning to take a long trip on highway and confirm the problem is completely fixed. I have asked the service in charge to tell me the ECU error code that they got before I take the vehicle delivery as in charge is having no clue yet. As per him his mechanic told that they have got 2 similar cases on Indigo CS and changing speedo sensor fixed the issue and they hope same with mine as well. I am planning to buy a OBD/DTC error code reader myself so that I can do some self check before approaching TASS.
Hi @csd42419

Good that they have attended to your truck's problem correctly. My suggestion would be to test the vehicle on Saturday or Sunday so that you do not have face the problem when you have the long trip, with your family in tow.

Hopefully the problem, as diagnosed by the experts in TBHP, should not recur. If, however... God forbid, it is back you would have some time to get the vehicle sorted.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 19:44   #113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @csd42419

Good that they have attended to your truck's problem correctly. My suggestion would be to test the vehicle on Saturday or Sunday so that you do not have face the problem when you have the long trip, with your family in tow.

Hopefully the problem, as diagnosed by the experts in TBHP, should not recur. If, however... God forbid, it is back you would have some time to get the vehicle sorted.
Last 2 times when I had got this problem I had travelled more then 200~220kms at a stretch. So, its difficult to simulate without having a purpose to travel .

After pushing hard TASS gave me the odb trouble code that they got was P0500.

I find below details in internet.
A code P0500 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
•The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly
•There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor
•The vehicle's PCM is not correctly configured for the actual tire size on the vehicle

They have replaced speed sensor now which should have fixed the issue. Anyway, I am getting my ODB-II scanner tomorrow. I will cross verify the fault code history provided TASS has not cleared the logs.
csd42419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 20:16   #114
BHPian
 
nijelj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore-Ktym
Posts: 368
Thanked: 363 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
They have replaced speed sensor now which should have fixed the issue.
Did you get the reciept (even if free) for the vehicle speed sensor replacement?
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 20:29   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Did you get the reciept (even if free) for the vehicle speed sensor replacement?
Yes I did. I got the receipt with the part name "Vehicle Speed Sensor - (Facelift)" costing INR 1,414/- which was covered under Warranty.

I got my ODB-II reader today. I worked like a gem with Torque Mobile App. I noticed that they have deleted the ECU logged faults. At the moment its says records in the fault registry.
csd42419 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 10:12   #116
BHPian
 
biplav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 28
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

I was just reading Duster n Ecosport reviews. While the Duster was stated to have a water wading capacity of 350 mm depth, and the Ecosport claimed to have a water wading depth cap of 550 mm, do we have an idea of the Storme's water wading cap. reason: the 4x4 trans case is unprotected, so what the Tatas say about this capacity ?
biplav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 10:32   #117
BHPian
 
stormerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pink City
Posts: 339
Thanked: 489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
I was just reading Duster n Ecosport reviews. While the Duster was stated to have a water wading capacity of 350 mm depth, and the Ecosport claimed to have a water wading depth cap of 550 mm, do we have an idea of the Storme's water wading cap. reason: the 4x4 trans case is unprotected, so what the Tatas say about this capacity ?
Stands at 300mm officially! Though capable of more but the official figure is a shocker. If you look at some earlier pages, our member mpescatori had posted images of his safari bathing in a river.
stormerider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 11:31   #118
BHPian
 
biplav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 28
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Could someone suggest a proper way for clocking mileage, presently, I tank up my fuel, set the odometer at 0, and then take the kms at next tank up, and divide the kms done by the litres taken to tank up. Is there a better way....

asking as my Safari Storme 4x4 is giving 13+ to a litre in Delhi, even though it s better driving conditions...

Is this possible OR am I missing something ?
biplav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 09:08   #119
BHPian
 
biplav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 28
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Since 4x4 is officially fully loaded, any feedback as to which of the Explorer Kit essentials are good for a purchase:
1. The NUDGE GUARD
2. The 2-DIN system
3. The reverse parking camera
Also, can these be individually brought.... OR the package needs to be brought ?
Thanks,
B
biplav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 11:00   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,773
Thanked: 1,168 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplav View Post
Since 4x4 is officially fully loaded, any feedback as to which of the Explorer Kit essentials are good for a purchase:
1. The NUDGE GUARD
2. The 2-DIN system
3. The reverse parking camera
Also, can these be individually brought.... OR the package needs to be brought ?
Thanks,
B
I think neither of the above or all of them together make for a good buy as discussed in the other official review thread

1) poor quality and would attract attention from cops for the way it hides the number plates
2) extremely poor placement ergonomically and will make the already cup holders even more redundant

3) you might get better options outside - i have managed to use the Storme without even sensors so far and I park my car in parallel at my office at different places every day
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 4458 30th October 2017 10:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks