Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 14:34   #1531
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 769
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Charging a bomb is one thing. My concern is, when & if something goes wrong, how much would they honor warranty! If this is a "No conditions" warranty, I would NOT mind paying it. But if they are gonna give super shi**y excuses and deny warranty for one thing or the other, thats when the owners are going to feel the pinch.
@swiftnfurious - no one sensible can give a "No Conditions" warranty can they? So if I start to believe this warranty is a way to make profits and not to provide warranty then we really do no have a starting point.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 17:46   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,157
Thanked: 5,032 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
@swiftnfurious - no one sensible can give a "No Conditions" warranty can they? So if I start to believe this warranty is a way to make profits and not to provide warranty then we really do no have a starting point.

Cheers,
Have you NOT read the way M&M & Fiat honour warranty? The question is will VW go even 50% of those inspite of such a huge premium EW.

I have seen quite some hostility from Skoda on honoring warranty. Since this is the parent company, it's quite natural for someone like me to have doubts on their antics. Let's also NOT forget that VW never bothered for an official recall in India for the DSG issues which clearly states that they are not very keen on accepting their faults.

Edit:: I know a "No condition" warranty is NOT offered by any (like sensors etc). My question was "No conditions" within the allowed components range.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th March 2014 at 17:49. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 18:38   #1533
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,956
Thanked: 6,372 Times
Default

I think we may be jumping the gun a little bit. Couple of members have posted that the extended warranty costs around 11000 and not 41000. I called my contact and he said an official announcement is yet to come and expected this week. So need further clarification.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 19:13   #1534
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 280
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think we may be jumping the gun a little bit. Couple of members have posted that the extended warranty costs around 11000 and not 41000. I called my contact and he said an official announcement is yet to come and expected this week. So need further clarification.

+1
Everyone should wait for the official announcement.
That would give clarity about the terms and price.
41k does seem expensive for the TSI.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 09:09   #1535
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Hey Sahil,



Can you elaborate little more on what they did? As in any pics to show what this lamination is all about? I wanna do it too. Cant take the constant rattling in the car. Also being a new car I don't want t to sit in the Workshop for long, so how much time did the lamination take on your car ?

Apologies for a late reply. I will post the pictures in a day or two.
sahilkhurana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 11:01   #1536
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since the engine is off there is obviously no strain on the DSG, so whether in D or N it makes no difference.
Geek Alert But if the car is in 'D' and it is switched off by the Start-Stop system, normally if one tries that, its not possible to switch the car on in 'D'. You have to be in 'P' or 'N'. So how would the Start-Stop system manage that?Or the car will turn off only when we slot in to 'N'? I personally can't tolerate the Start-Stop system. The difference in km/l is marginal.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 11:30   #1537
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,382
Thanked: 809 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Geek Alert But if the car is in 'D' and it is switched off by the Start-Stop system, normally if one tries that, its not possible to switch the car on in 'D'. You have to be in 'P' or 'N'. So how would the Start-Stop system manage that?Or the car will turn off only when we slot in to 'N'? I personally can't tolerate the Start-Stop system. The difference in km/l is marginal.
The existing transmissions were modified by adding an extra "electrical pump" to keep the transmission fluid at a pressure that is good enough to start. This is what I found for Mercedes new transmission (but the same is true for 7-Gtronic as well, just couldn't find a link):

The mechanical main pump, which ensures the oil supply to the electrohydraulically controlled automatic transmission when the internal combustion engine is running, is backed up by a separate electric auxiliary pump. On the one hand this design enables the flow of lubrication and coolant to be controlled actively on demand, and at the same time also means that the 9G-TRONIC can benefit from a start/stop system

http://www.car-engineer.com/9g-troni...sion-mercedes/

Not sure about DSG variations. But it all boils down to substituting IC engine power with some electric power. Also I believe the IC engines starter motors also needed modifications as in eco start/stop situations they need to fire up without lag.

All this useless tech to get better emission ratings. Doesn't help the climate if you consider the real life improvements, manufacturing/service overhead, etc.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 13:39   #1538
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Geek Alert But if the car is in 'D' and it is switched off by the Start-Stop system, normally if one tries that, its not possible to switch the car on in 'D'. You have to be in 'P' or 'N'. So how would the Start-Stop system manage that?Or the car will turn off only when we slot in to 'N'?
That's what I am interested to know. Does your Octavia III TSi have this start/stop system? Anything mentioned in your owner manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The existing transmissions were modified by adding an extra "electrical pump" to keep the transmission fluid at a pressure that is good enough to start. This is what I found for Mercedes new transmission (but the same is true for 7-Gtronic as well, just couldn't find a link):

The mechanical main pump, which ensures the oil supply to the electrohydraulically controlled automatic transmission when the internal combustion engine is running, is backed up by a separate electric auxiliary pump. On the one hand this design enables the flow of lubrication and coolant to be controlled actively on demand, and at the same time also means that the 9G-TRONIC can benefit from a start/stop system

http://www.car-engineer.com/9g-troni...sion-mercedes/

Not sure about DSG variations. But it all boils down to substituting IC engine power with some electric power. Also I believe the IC engines starter motors also needed modifications as in eco start/stop situations they need to fire up without lag.
OK, so how they achieve it is one part (and I am sure it will be complex), but how does it look to the driver? Let's say you are in D, you slow down and come to a halt at a red signal. Now does the ECU (via mechanical/electrical actuators) shift the DSG into N or P and then switch off the engine? Or does it just switch the engine off leaving DSG in D? Similar queries on what does it do when restarting the engine?

If you guys have this start/stop system in your AT/DSG cars, what have you observed?

Thanks!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 14th March 2014 at 13:41.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 14:29   #1539
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
That's what I am interested to know. Does your Octavia III TSi have this start/stop system? Anything mentioned in your owner manual?

OK, so how they achieve it is one part (and I am sure it will be complex), but how does it look to the driver? Let's say you are in D, you slow down and come to a halt at a red signal. Now does the ECU (via mechanical/electrical actuators) shift the DSG into N or P and then switch off the engine? Or does it just switch the engine off leaving DSG in D? Similar queries on what does it do when restarting the engine?

If you guys have this start/stop system in your AT/DSG cars, what have you observed?

Thanks!

No my TSI is not equipped with Start-Stop system. I used the system on my friend's 5-series BMW. The system would switch the engine off after 2 secs of stoppage only. As soon as I lift my car from the brake pedal, or in case of Auto hold feature which is standard on the 5-series, When I depress the accelerator pedal, engine comes to life and car starts moving. Visibly I did not see the gear indicating N or P. It was in D at all times.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 15:30   #1540
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 280
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

I believe the BMW gearshift automatically shifts To P when the car is off ,so I guess it doesn't count here.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 16:39   #1541
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I believe the BMW gearshift automatically shifts To P when the car is off ,so I guess it doesn't count here.
In that case I would have had to change it in to D before the car starts moving right? Didn't have to.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 17:00   #1542
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
+1
Everyone should wait for the official announcement.
That would give clarity about the terms and price.
41k does seem expensive for the TSI.
41k is clearly a ghost number thrown about. My dealer tells me that I can choose between a 1yr or a 2yr warranty and pay 8500/- and 17k/- respectively. Yet to dig up the details though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have seen quite some hostility from Skoda on honoring warranty. Since this is the parent company, it's quite natural for someone like me to have doubts on their antics. Let's also NOT forget that VW never bothered for an official recall in India for the DSG issues which clearly states that they are not very keen on accepting their faults.
I give VW the benefit of doubt for the following reasons.

1. I'm yet to hear about any VW warranty nightmares. If there are enough such cases, your concern is valid.

2. I think we nit pick. When the DSG was launched it was all about 'why no EW'? now that EW is launched we shouldn't fret about ulterior motives. Lets given them some rope.

3. On DSG recall issues, I think we should separate Skoda from VW in India. The number of cases on VW (for whatever reasons of late launch etc) are way lower (do we have even 5 such cases?).

Also post the recent NCAP tests, VW was the first company to volunatarily make front air bags as standard equipment on polo. So there are signs of improving ASS. (please let this not come back to bite my behinds )
Shortsell is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 21:14   #1543
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So you are saying engine shuts down in D1 and restarts in D1 (slipping the clutch)?
Yup I think it does. It wouldn't be any more slippage than keeping it in D with the brakes pressed right. In fact for the duration the engine is off there is no slippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Geek Alert But if the car is in 'D' and it is switched off by the Start-Stop system, normally if one tries that, its not possible to switch the car on in 'D'. You have to be in 'P' or 'N'. So how would the Start-Stop system manage that?Or the car will turn off only when we slot in to 'N'? I personally can't tolerate the Start-Stop system. The difference in km/l is marginal.
I hate the start stop system too, to be honest. I think it may just continue being in D, or it may actually switch to N on its own without indication. Either way like I said above I doubt there is any more clutch slippage in DSGs or torque converter friction in normal autoboxes as a result of the start stop system.

I'm not too technically inclined but this is how I believe it would be.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 20:10   #1544
BHPian
 
delta5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: TN 23
Posts: 175
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hey
You were right !
Got a call from the dealer here in chennai confirming the availability of the extended warranty. priced at 41000 INR for 2 extra years.
Hi,
Could you please confirm whether the extended warranty is available for purchase immediately and also whether the price qouted is for Polo or Vento.

@41k for the extended warranty, i would be better off investing that in some MF and take a chance with my DSG. I sure am not going to buy it at that price, anything more than 20k is out of my budget. May be this is what VW wanted, a show piece extended warranty just to lure in future customers and not really cover the interests of existing customers.

By the way guys, after a bit of ghat section hard driving on Saturday, the dreaded engine bay rattle has appeared in my less than 5000km GT. This comes in while hard acceleration only and not when i take it easy on the A pedal. I am Planning to get the car serviced in mid April and won't be doing much hard/long distance driving till then, can a service centre wait. Any advice?

Cheers,
D.

Last edited by delta5 : 17th March 2014 at 20:12. Reason: Corrections.
delta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 21:13   #1545
BHPian
 
prithwi-81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 677
Thanked: 919 Times
Default

Rattle is either the ac lines or the feul rails.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 370 16th November 2016 01:22
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 111 25th August 2016 16:53
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI? Y@SH The Indian Car Scene 133 30th June 2012 15:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks