Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 21:51   #3376
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 318
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

FE update (MID display)
Pune-Mumbai 20.x
Mumbai-Pune 18.x

that makes it a total round trip distance of ~ 310km with 200 km of it on expressway

On the Expressway I had set CC around 85 and I stayed in the middle lane for most of the time. I did do short bursts of 100 to overtake quickly.

This was during Diwali rush and I did spend about 10 mins in total at 2 toll nakas each way.

On the ghat sections (downhill) there was a considerable bump in FE.

When going up hill I was in D7 on straight sections where I clearly remember having to move to 3rd or 4th gear in a Normal 1.2 car.
The torque of this motor is awesome and the handling is very good for legal speeds.

If you are stuck in traffic, just don't look at MID FE.. you will get depression attacks. But the moment you start drving normally, you can easily make up for the FE drop.

I have said this before and repeat it again. If you care 'Kitna Deti Hai' and travel on reasonably open stretches of road this car won't disappoint you one bit

When I bought the car I was going to be OK with a FE of 10-13 in city and 15+ on the highway. Its been way above that in reality.
For my last 3 topups from about half tank I have always got 15+ (Distance travelled since last autocut/Fuel quantity to autocut) with a mix of city/town/village and highway travel.

Last edited by freedom : 17th November 2015 at 21:57.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 06:53   #3377
BHPian
 
leprechaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 62
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Can the new ovrms be tweaked to make them auto retract on lock or unlock through vcds?
leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 07:57   #3378
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,049 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Nope! You will need a pair of new window controllers or a module from Aliexpress that retails for some 10-15 USD and do some extra wiring.

EDIT: This one. Will require door cards to be removed and some wiring to be routed from one door to another but doable and a weekend job IMO.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th November 2015 at 08:53.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 09:32   #3379
BHPian
 
BlueEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Driving Around
Posts: 90
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. The car came with the dial celebration enabled. That was one of the pleasant surprises
Good
Inconsistent features being dished out for the same car variant!! Not sure what else is being added/deleted without customers being aware of any of this!! Baffling to say the least. Whoever is handling this at VW India, they are doing pathetic job.
Now on my 2 months old car, rear left window not operating. I cannot roll down, even if I do it doesn't roll up I somehow managed to close it today morning with remote key (painfully slow, but rolled up eventually) Also realized auto roll up/roll down of the windows not working upon long press of the lock/unlock button,which was working earlier.
Taken appointment next week. This is my first brush with after sales and I really hope it goes well. Heard/read some horror stories of VW after sales service, and if you are following VW India Twitter handle you have all the more reason to be scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope! You will need a pair of new window controllers or a module from Aliexpress that retails for some 10-15 USD and do some extra wiring.
Gannu, could you please comment on whether or not we will be able to enable ORVM heating feature on the new GT, thanks.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 09:38   #3380
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,049 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Gannu, could you please comment on whether or not we will be able to enable ORVM heating feature on the new GT, thanks.
You can but the stock mirrors don't have the heating element - you'll need a new set of mirrors with the heating element, a new set of wires and a new mirror controller knob with the heating option.

The cheaper alternative is to buy a set of mirrors with heating elements, run a set of wires (2 per mirror) through the door harness entry, connect one to ground and the other to the rear windshield heating cable which goes below the front driver door sill. Works when you press the rear windshield demister button.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 09:53   #3381
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
Can the new ovrms be tweaked to make them auto retract on lock or unlock through vcds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope! You will need a pair of new window controllers or a module from Aliexpress that retails for some 10-15 USD and do some extra wiring.

EDIT: This one. Will require door cards to be removed and some wiring to be routed from one door to another but doable and a weekend job IMO.
Thanks for the link Gannu. I have written to the manufacturer to find if this requires cutting or splicing wires in the stock harness.

Meanwhile, found the below product through FB. This plugs into the OBD port and controls the mirror. No wiring change required. If this works as claimed, could be a really interesting product.

OBD Auto folding mirrors

Installation instructions from the web page.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-auto-fold-mirror.jpg

The instructions are a little confusing. But looks like this controls both the automatic window open/closing and also ORVM open/close.

Anyone planning to try?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 09:58   #3382
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,049 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Meanwhile, found the below product through FB. This plugs into the OBD port and controls the mirror. No wiring change required. If this works as claimed, could be a really interesting product.
Had seen that link before but they have mentioned it is only for the B7 Passat and the CC. If it works for the lower models (like the Jetta, Polo) nothing like it.

Even the Jetta requires the window controllers to be changed to get the auto-folding to work when the car is locked/unlocked. Really a bummer when they could have done it from the assembly line. Hyundai gives it right from the Grand i10!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 10:02   #3383
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Had seen that link before but they have mentioned it is only for the B7 Passat and the CC. If it works for the lower models (like the Jetta, Polo) nothing like it.
Oops! Did not notice that. I have written to the manufacturer to find if this works with Jetta and Polo. Will update once I get a response.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 12:19   #3384
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 201 Times
Default

Today, my car refused to start (no cranking). Called the Roadside Assistance(Bharti Axa), the mechanic told me that it is battery problem.
I was very happy to know that this is a battery problem(not required to leave the car with VW).

Called Batterywale, and got it installed (Rs 3970 for amaron battery with 48 months of warranty) in 20 minutes(free home delivery and installation). Very happy with their service.

After the battery replacement time, trip meter (total kms) and service reminders have been reset. Any idea, how to fix these?
shetty_rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:38   #3385
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,049 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
After the battery replacement time, trip meter (total kms) and service reminders have been reset. Any idea, how to fix these?
You can't. Every time the battery or cluster is disconnected, the trip data stored on the cluster resets. Only the odometer data remains intact as it is stored in the EEPROM.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:45   #3386
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 201 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You can't. Every time the battery or cluster is disconnected, the trip data stored on the cluster resets. Only the odometer data remains intact as it is stored in the EEPROM.
Thanks Gannu. Strangely in my case even the odometer(which was showing 45000kms)has been reset to zero.
shetty_rohan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:52   #3387
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 491
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks Gannu. Strangely in my case even the odometer(which was showing 45000kms)has been reset to zero.
I never thought this was physically possible! I can imagine the number of taxi owners who would love to do it.

On a lighter note - you can get a better price for your car when you sell it!

I would suggest that you take a second look at it. Maybe, it will just reveal itself..
GKMahajan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:54   #3388
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,049 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Thanks Gannu. Strangely in my case even the odometer(which was showing 45000kms)has been reset to zero.
That's strange! Contact your VW service center and get the reading restored.

I hope you cycled through the MFD options properly. Do recheck.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 13:55   #3389
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,958
Thanked: 6,390 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Today, my car refused to start (no cranking). Called the Roadside Assistance(Bharti Axa), the mechanic told me that it is battery problem.
I was very happy to know that this is a battery problem(not required to leave the car with VW).

Called Batterywale, and got it installed (Rs 3970 for amaron battery with 48 months of warranty) in 20 minutes(free home delivery and installation). Very happy with their service.
Rohan, If I am not mistaken your car is ~July/August 2013. Isn't that pretty soon for the battery to fail? Or is that the standard life of VW OEM battery?
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 14:17   #3390
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 306
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I never thought this was physically possible! I can imagine the number of taxi owners who would love to do it.

On a lighter note - you can get a better price for your car when you sell it!
:-). Yes, even I was thinking it is not possible to reset the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
That's strange! Contact your VW service center and get the reading restored.

I hope you cycled through the MFD options properly. Do recheck.
I have attached a photo. Sorry for the orientation of the photo.
I need to take the vehicle for the service soon (another 1000 kms). I will explain the problem to VW dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Rohan, If I am not mistaken your car is ~July/August 2013. Isn't that pretty soon for the battery to fail? Or is that the standard life of VW OEM battery?
Yes Rajeev, it is November 2013 car. It has run around 44,000 kms. I guess OEM batteries does not last too long. We had bought our cars together (may be one month difference).

Name:  20151119_135600.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  58.7 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th November 2015 at 14:23. Reason: Correcting image orientation.
shetty_rohan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 370 16th November 2016 01:22
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 111 25th August 2016 16:53
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI? Y@SH The Indian Car Scene 133 30th June 2012 15:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks