Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2016, 20:52   #3766
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 318
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My Dec 2014 GT TSI has clocked about 8000 kms till now. Completed first service in Jan 2015 at VW Bangalore Motors Rajajinagar after 1 year 1 month of purchase.
I checked the Odometer today and I am actually at a shade below 8.5 K in 5 months.


I misread your date of purchase to be be Dec 2015 and I felt a bit jealous that you get to drive 8K in 3 months

Absolutely agree with every observation you have made. As for the brakes, well they don't feel sharp but I have encountered a few panic braking situations and they do the job, no complaints.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 00:34   #3767
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Had a long test drive of the updated GT TSi (with folding mirrors but without touch audio unit), the test drive was fairly long and it was for a friend who wanted to buy the GT.

I own a 2012 Vento and am amazed on how much VW have improved the suspension, steering and braking for this car. Steering was the biggest contrast here, way better weighted than the one on my vento and i really liked the hefty feel on stock 185 tyres, really wondering what grippy 205's could do to this car. The steering may not compare to the likes of Linea/Fiesta but it is much better now.

Braking was excellent too, great pedal bit and stopping power. With the power on tap, the brakes may feel inadequate but one needs to drive other competition cars and see how poor their brakes are (Punto abarth being an exception).

VW seems to have worked on the suspension too, the ride was much more compliant, suspension more silent and the undulations on road were handled brilliantly by Polo. Vento starts floating over undulations and the heavy nose bobs badly, GT TSi rode flat and the body control was so much better than vento Tdi.

I dont need to speak about the engine + gearbox combo , it is explosive and such performance is unheard of in a 10 lakh hatch, superbly refined engine and the DSG changes gears like crazy, the car otherwise comes with its usual perks. Solid build, best in class interior quality, excellent NVH, best paint quality and the low seating position which i really enjoyed. Rear seat space is pathetic and i wonder why VW messed up when they had 4m length to play with.

I have found a new love, the TSi bug has bit me as well and within 3-4 months, i would be finding a new home for my Vento Tdi which has done 50k now. I dont need another sedan now since we have a 3 series at home for highway runs, this should do just fine for city and explosive fun when you find that gap.
coolboy007 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 19:17   #3768
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,992
Thanked: 5,039 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Rear seat space is pathetic and i wonder why VW messed up when they had 4m length to play with.
They had to give some space for the luggage! I'm not complaining, it is more than enough for family shopping, but not for more than a couple of suitcases, if that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 20:37   #3769
BHPian
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 141
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Picked up the GT last friday. Was offered a free delivery to my hometown but opted to go pick it myself. S mode is fun, sweat and smiles as I didnt try it during my TD. Will update after I put more miles down. If alone they had to put a tad more rear legroom, this car will be the complete package. But no complains on my decision whatsoever. After getting 3m'ed.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img20160314wa0007.jpg  

commander is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 03:12   #3770
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 82
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Picked up the GT last friday. Was offered a free delivery to my hometown but opted to go pick it myself. S mode is fun, sweat and smiles as I didnt try it during my TD. Will update after I put more miles down. If alone they had to put a tad more rear legroom, this car will be the complete package. But no complains on my decision whatsoever. After getting 3m'ed.

What 3m package are you opting for? My GT is a month old now and im seriously kicking myself for putting this on the back burner as my car washer guy seems to use a crappy wash cloth and i can see the micro scratches on the bonnet :(

Hoping that the 3M guys can fix the clear coat
nova9 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 07:30   #3771
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Picked up the GT last friday. Was offered a free delivery to my hometown but opted to go pick it myself. S mode is fun, sweat and smiles as I didnt try it during my TD. Will update after I put more miles down. If alone they had to put a tad more rear legroom, this car will be the complete package. But no complains on my decision whatsoever. After getting 3m'ed.
Welcome to the GT TSi club, commander. Wishing you tens of thousands of safe miles with smiles
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 10:48   #3772
BHPian
 
GT145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cochin
Posts: 71
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Hoping that the 3M guys can fix the clear coat
Mini scratches due to washing are all there on my TSI's bonnet also :( probably due to the wash VW guys did before the delivery. Unfortunately Smartwax from Pete's didn't fix it, don't think it can be fixed with polishing
GT145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:28   #3773
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
My GT is a month old now and im seriously kicking myself for putting this on the back burner as my car washer guy seems to use a crappy wash cloth and i can see the micro scratches on the bonnet :(

Hoping that the 3M guys can fix the clear coat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Mini scratches due to washing are all there on my TSI's bonnet also :( probably due to the wash VW guys did before the delivery. Unfortunately Smartwax from Pete's didn't fix it, don't think it can be fixed with polishing
If the scratches are only on the clear coat, and have not penetrated to the paint coat, then I think this will be easily fixed by the 3M guys. I had an unattended bird dropping which had left an oxidization mark on the bonnet even after washing, and the 3M guys did sanding, rubbing compound and polish treatment and the mark is gone now. I would say take the car to the 3M guys and have it checked out.

This is the reason why I don't let anybody clean my cars and do it myself with lots of microfiber clothes Worth the effort!

Last edited by graaja : 15th March 2016 at 11:45.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 16:10   #3774
BHPian
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 141
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Mini scratches due to washing are all there on my TSI's bonnet also :( probably due to the wash VW guys did before the delivery. Unfortunately Smartwax from Pete's didn't fix it, don't think it can be fixed with polishing
Seriously. These guys didnt even wipe the salt water marks well nor did they bother to clean the wax well. Infact i noticed that on the other cars there too that was ready for delivery. Sales staff in most showrooms dont care once you have paid up for it.

Wax alone wont do. If the the swirls are more you might have to do a rubbing and polishing to bring it back up. Ask for a demo first so that you you'll get a better picture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
What 3m package are you opting for? My GT is a month old now and im seriously kicking myself for putting this on the back burner as my car washer guy seems to use a crappy wash cloth and i can see the micro scratches on the bonnet :(

Hoping that the 3M guys can fix the clear coat

I have Paint sealant essential on mine. Also have applied PPF on my bonnet, door edges and handles as I noticed paint chipping. Nomad mats and CR 70 are next.
Visit an outlet and get them polished. The earlier the better for your clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

This is the reason why I don't let anybody clean my cars and do it myself with lots of microfiber clothes Worth the effort!
From what I have learned, always use car shampoo, microfibre and apply wax atleast once or twice a month even if its DIY.
commander is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 23:27   #3775
BHPian
 
GT145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cochin
Posts: 71
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Seriously. These guys didnt even wipe the salt water marks well nor did they bother to clean the wax well. Infact i noticed that on the other cars there too that was ready for delivery. Sales staff in most showrooms dont care once you have paid up for it.

Wax alone wont do. If the the swirls are more you might have to do a rubbing and polishing to bring it back up. Ask for a demo first so that you you'll get a better picture.
Smartwax does go through all these process, but they are still there. I'm not sure if you are referring to same scratches, mine is hardly visible in normal situation, I can see them only with heavy sunlight also from some angles, they are almost invisible for bare eyes but still it gives me a pain every weekend when I wash her.

Meanwhile is there anyone who shipped any products with China Airmail from Aliexpress. Any idea on how the customs dealings are done in India with China Airmail. I'm badly waiting for front grill emblems but they seems stuck at customs :(
GT145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 14:35   #3776
BHPian
 
commander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salem
Posts: 141
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
Smartwax does go through all these process, but they are still there. I'm not sure if you are referring to same scratches, mine is hardly visible in normal situation, I can see them only with heavy sunlight also from some angles, they are almost invisible for bare eyes but still it gives me a pain every weekend when I wash her.
Yes the swirl marks only. Got them removed after the exterior treatment.
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 00:18   #3777
BHPian
 
drpudhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Erode/Kovai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Hi guys. Its Been a long time away from the forum. Was relocating and had my hands full. Its been an uneventful 40k kilometers so far. But, recently am feeling the brakes have become softer and lacks the bite it used to have. Since this is an AT, i feel 40k is a lot of running. So, have ordered the brembo front disc brake pads and will be getting it by next week.

Need one help. Does anyone know is the life for the rear drum brakes in the GT ? I'm not sure if i should change those too, or just stick with swapping the front pads. Also, if anyone from coimbatore can guide me to a trusted place for the pad replacement as i'm sure the dealership won't be doing it. Thanks.
drpudhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 06:27   #3778
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 1,609 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Hi guys. Its Been a long time away from the forum. Was relocating and had my hands full. Its been an uneventful 40k kilometers so far. But, recently am feeling the brakes have become softer and lacks the bite it used to have. Since this is an AT, i feel 40k is a lot of running. So, have ordered the brembo front disc brake pads and will be getting it by next week.

Need one help. Does anyone know is the life for the rear drum brakes in the GT ? I'm not sure if i should change those too, or just stick with swapping the front pads. Also, if anyone from coimbatore can guide me to a trusted place for the pad replacement as i'm sure the dealership won't be doing it. Thanks.
Even I am planning upgrading to Brembo pads. Can you share details of where you sourced the pads and cost? And I am also looking for a good garage to replace the brake pads.

Maybe we can get it done at Bosch service center. Last time I had taken the car to Bosch for fixing an issue with projectors coming lose and they did a good job.

A friend of mine was talking about a garage that specializes in German cars. I will get this information as well.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 07:20   #3779
BHPian
 
drpudhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Erode/Kovai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Even I am planning upgrading to Brembo pads. Can you share details of where you sourced the pads and cost? And I am also looking for a good garage to replace the brake pads.

Maybe we can get it done at Bosch service center. Last time I had taken the car to Bosch for fixing an issue with projectors coming lose and they did a good job.

A friend of mine was talking about a garage that specializes in German cars. I will get this information as well.
Sure thanks. I got it from t-bhp classifieds. Look for polo GT brake pads. Since I wanted COD, he shared with me a link to the product in Amazon. He is the authorized distributor for brembo in India it seems.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 21:03   #3780
BHPian
 
Vdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palakkad, Kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

The VW website give very little info about GT. No info about colours.
Any one know about it ?
Vdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 370 16th November 2016 01:22
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 111 25th August 2016 16:53
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI? Y@SH The Indian Car Scene 133 30th June 2012 15:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks