Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:56   #4081
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
(mine is a 2015 model without the 6 bells & whistles).

Although the picture shows the instantaneous FE, the averaged FE (FE Meter 2) was equal to the instantaneous FE.
Hi Abhishek,

The FE in the picture is indeed the average FE for Trip 1, the other one you are mentioning is for Trip 2. So your actual FE is as much. Your Trip 1 & 2 must have been reset at the same time for this result to happen. AFAIK, Instantaneous FE is disabled in our GTs by default, can be enabled by VCDS.

I have done my share of MPEH trips, including some rush hour traffic (WEH in Mumbai) myself but have never got an FE above 14 KMPL, maybe you can guess why

PS: Loved your comment about the missing 6 Bells & WhistlesI am in the same boat. But I believe I have got the rawest deal because not only did I not get the new features, but also missed the Armpad fabric & Handbrake Leather.

Cheers,
Sid.
sidparekh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 14:18   #4082
BHPian
 
AbhisheKulkarni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 73
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
The FE in the picture is indeed the average FE for Trip 1, the other one you are mentioning is for Trip 2. So your actual FE is as much. Your Trip 1 & 2 must have been reset at the same time for this result to happen. AFAIK, Instantaneous FE is disabled in our GTs by default, can be enabled by VCDS.
I understood the two trip meters differently, until now. What I thought was that the 1st mileage meter showed the instantaneous figure, while the 2nd showed the average mileage over the trip (and across multiple trips if one didn't reset it). Also I have observed that meter 1 gets reset automatically when I start the car, but meter 2 retains the previous value. This further reinforced my aforementioned assumption. I guess I will have to go back to the user manual and check what it says about the meters! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
I have done my share of MPEH trips, including some rush hour traffic (WEH in Mumbai) myself but have never got an FE above 14 KMPL, maybe you can guess why
Haha. Partly done in 'S' mode, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
PS: Loved your comment about the missing 6 Bells & WhistlesI am in the same boat. But I believe I have got the rawest deal because not only did I not get the new features, but also missed the Armpad fabric & Handbrake Leather.
I definitely felt bad when the two facelifts came out one after another. But I guess it's fate. Can't do anything but move on.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 16:27   #4083
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
...The FE in the picture is indeed the average FE for Trip 1, the other one you are mentioning is for Trip 2. So your actual FE is as much. Your Trip 1 & 2 must have been reset at the same time for this result to happen. AFAIK, Instantaneous FE is disabled in our GTs by default, can be enabled by VCDS...Sid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I understood the two trip meters differently, until now. What I thought was that the 1st mileage meter showed the instantaneous figure, while the 2nd showed the average mileage over the trip (and across multiple trips if one didn't reset it). Also I have observed that meter 1 gets reset automatically when I start the car, but meter 2 retains the previous value. This further reinforced my aforementioned assumption. I guess I will have to go back to the user manual and check what it says about the meters!
I would still go by what Abhishek Kulkarni thought initially.

In my (2015) TSI, FE2 shows a change depending on how good or bad the traffic has been WHILE the drive is on. So FE1 is more 'current' therefore instantaneous, and FE2 is certainly the long term average.

What's new to me is the ability to reset these FE counters. But how is this done, by long pressing of the RHS steering controls?

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 29th September 2016 at 16:29.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 18:53   #4084
Newbie
 
srinivasnvns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Okay, so this has what happened to my TSI when I left it in the parking with a cover on for ten days.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_0026.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_0027.jpg

I did not actually realize this had happened until after a week after my vacation when my colleague wanted to see the car before he booked one for himself. Until then I was merrily driving it around the city. I originally implied that something went bonkers with the battery and took it to service straight where the SA did not hesitate even for a moment before confirming: "This is rat bite sir." He checked the wiring and said nothing is broken for now.

Any suggestions on how can I keep the nibbling things at bay?
srinivasnvns is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 19:02   #4085
BHPian
 
nagarjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

You an reset the FE values by long holding the button on RHS steering controls. At least this works on my Vento TSI, I guess it should be the same on Polo as well
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 06:16   #4086
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 212
Thanked: 584 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
I understood the two trip meters differently, until now. What I thought was that the 1st mileage meter showed the instantaneous figure, while the 2nd showed the average mileage over the trip (and across multiple trips if one didn't reset it). Also I have observed that meter 1 gets reset automatically when I start the car, but meter 2 retains the previous value. This further reinforced my aforementioned assumption. I guess I will have to go back to the user manual and check what it says about the meters! Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I would still go by what Abhishek Kulkarni thought initially.
In my (2015) TSI, FE2 shows a change depending on how good or bad the traffic has been WHILE the drive is on. So FE1 is more 'current' therefore instantaneous, and FE2 is certainly the long term average.
What's new to me is the ability to reset these FE counters. But how is this done, by long pressing of the RHS steering controls?
Average calculations, whether speed or FE, will have the 'Φ' next to it. The are two 'memories' indicated by the '1' or '2' superscripts on the right of the MFD parameter readout and each of them calculates trip distance/driving time/average speed/average fuel consumption. Memory 1 is basically a short term one that resets itself after more than two hours of driving time interruption. Memory 2 on the the other hand is a relatively long term memory, and isn't effected by 2 hour interruption criterion.

The other readouts on the MFD, like ambient temperature, digital speed display, max-speed warning, instantaneous fuel consumption and range left do not fall under memory 1 or memory 2, and thus are not influenced by them being reset. Thus there won't be '1' or '2' superscripts on the right of these MFD parameter readouts.

Also do note that, resetting anything calculated under Memory 1 or Memory 2 (i.e any one among avg FE or avg speed or trip distance or driving time) will effectively clear all the calculations made under the particular Memory. Below are screenshots from the Skoda Rapid owner's manual. They are the same in our 2013/2014 VW cars and I bet would be the case with current face-lifts also.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-rapidpoloventomfdmenu.jpg
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-rapidpoloventomfdmenu2.jpg
-- Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 06:30   #4087
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,023
Thanked: 1,608 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasnvns View Post
Okay, so this has what happened to my TSI when I left it in the parking with a cover on for ten days.
...

Any suggestions on how can I keep the nibbling things at bay?
OMG. That should have been one ravenous rat

There is a dedicated thread discussing various options to save the car from rats. Check this out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-rats.html (How do you protect your car from rats?)

PS: Even my car is dead (reported by wife). As I am away on travel, not sure what is the cause. Hope it is just a dead battery which will be fine with a jump start and some charging.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 10:09   #4088
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Average calculations, whether speed or FE, will have the 'Φ' next to it. The are two 'memories' indicated by the '1' or '2' superscripts on the right of the MFD ...
Attachment 1560937
-- Avinash
Don't have either of the two buttons on the RHS stalk of my car, perhaps the newer versions do.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 13:42   #4089
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,988
Thanked: 5,021 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Don't have either of the two buttons on the RHS stalk of my car, perhaps the newer versions do.
Even my 2011 Polo had them. And the control on my 2014 GT TDI is the same.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 15:00   #4090
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 212
Thanked: 584 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Don't have either of the two buttons on the RHS stalk of my car, perhaps the newer versions do.
You are right that the two buttons (for toggling and selecting/resetting memory) are not on the RH stalk in the 2015 cars. Might have been only for the pre-2015 vehicles. However the same functionality is now achieved with the buttons on the steering wheel itself, on the RH side as in the pictures below (Source (2015 VW Polo GT TSI - 7500 km / First checkup update!))

The RH stalk
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015-gt-tsi-rh-stalk.jpg

The buttons on SW to toggle between MFD options
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-2015-gt-tsi-rh-sw-controls.jpg

I expect that only the positions of MFD toggles have changed. Everything I mentioned earlier about the calculation of MFD readouts / memories / resetting / averages etc would be the same (similar to as described in Rapid Owner's manual, and as is the case with virtually all VW/Skoda cars).
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 14:46   #4091
BHPian
 
shoaib3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 102 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing

Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of booking a Polo GT TSi. I'm planning to book it this Saturday.

1st option : With all the recent posts regarding engine updates, etc should I just wait to see what changes are going to be made ?

2nd option : Should I bargain with the dealer for discounts on the current one before the possible upgrade comes about ?

I'd appreciate it if people could post replies based on actual facts and not just assumptions.

Best.
shoaib3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 14:56   #4092
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 320
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of booking a Polo GT TSi. I'm planning to book it this Saturday.

1st option : With all the recent posts regarding engine updates, etc should I just wait to see what changes are going to be made ?

2nd option : Should I bargain with the dealer for discounts on the current one before the possible upgrade comes about ?

I'd appreciate it if people could post replies based on actual facts and not just assumptions.

Best.
We both are sailing in the same boat!

The only difference being that I booked my GT TSI last month itself and I am planning to take delivery in 2 weeks or so. There are absolutely no discounts being offered on the GT TSI. With so many rumors/news floating around, I still feel its highly unlikely that they will tweak the GT engine. The only change I think that might come to GT as well will be addition of: (These updates are coming to the Polo, apparently)
1. Front arm rest
2. Rear AC vents
3. Rear camera, the one found in Ameo

These additions might lead to a price hike as well but then again, I'm just speculating since dealers across multiple cities are quite clueless about the coming updates.

Do share any information you receive regarding GT TSI updates. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aston Singh : 5th October 2016 at 14:58.
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 15:01   #4093
BHPian
 
shoaib3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 102 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Do share any information you receive regarding GT TSI updates. Thanks in advance.
Haha. Mate, the sales guy has been calling me since the last one month pestering me to take the plunge asap. He says the waiting period is almost a month. However, I read in some other post (in this thread) that the GT production has been stopped since the last 2 months. Is there any correlation between this and the possible upgrade ? ( I can't vouch for the credibility of this information though)

I asked my sales guy about the possible upgrades. He told me only the Vento will be updated and not the GT. I would like a reverse camera though ! haha.
shoaib3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 15:07   #4094
BHPian
 
Aston Singh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 320
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
Haha. Mate, the sales guy has been calling me since the last one month pestering me to take the plunge asap. He says the waiting period is almost a month. However, I read in some other post (in this thread) that the GT production has been stopped since the last 2 months. Is there any correlation between this and the possible upgrade ? ( I can't vouch for the credibility of this information though)

I asked my sales guy about the possible upgrades. He told me only the Vento will be updated and not the GT. I would like a reverse camera though ! haha.
Exactly the issue out here! Everyone's saying something or the other with no solid proof or confirmation. I guess, all we can do is just wait and watch. But then again, till when?! I am getting restless and can't wait to get my hands on the GT!!

I did my booking last month around the 15th. One month is your usual waiting period for the GT TSI. I am trying to take out some time to go to VW here in Pune and try and find out what news they have regarding updates for the Polo lineup.

Reverse camera is something I want as well! Rear AC vents I don't mind skipping and the funny thing is, I've already bought the front arm rest from Ali Express. Haha!
Aston Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 15:10   #4095
BHPian
 
shoaib3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 102 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: 2016 Volkswagen Vento Facelift spotted testing

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2016 at 17:26.
shoaib3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 370 16th November 2016 01:22
VW Polo GT 1.2L TSi: The baby TSi robimahanta Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 318 22nd October 2016 11:04
Volkswagen Jetta 1.4 TSI : Official Review Rehaan Official New Car Reviews 111 25th August 2016 16:53
Volkswagen Jetta TSI (petrol) spotted. Could be a 1.4L TSI? Y@SH The Indian Car Scene 133 30th June 2012 15:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks