Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 22nd May 2013, 20:59   #691
BHPian

Finally my GT day is tomorrow. The red devil is waiting for me at the dealership. :-D talked to the tire guy and I am straightaway taking it to him after the delivery. Going in for Michelin Energy XM2 195/60/R15. Just paying 2100 per tire extra over the shoddy accelers.
Berry is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:59   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Finally my GT day is tomorrow. The red devil is waiting for me at the dealership. :-D talked to the tire guy and I am straightaway taking it to him after the delivery. Going in for Michelin Energy XM2 195/60/R15. Just paying 2100 per tire extra over the shoddy accelers.
Congrats Berry on the GT! Look forward to the ownership review
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:36   #693
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
Congratulations for the new car. The car is so addictive to drive, I have been making long distance trips myself. Otherwise this car would have done hardly 500 kms but its already 1200 kms. Enjoy the ride.
Thanks drjanakpatel,
Glad you are munching lots of miles on your new GT. I am yet to take mine out on the highway, planning for a weekend trip. BTW, did your service advisor gave you any guidelines for running in? Are you planning to change the engine oil earlier than recommended 15K Kms?

Also one more question, a fellow GT owner in my town has reported that his car had slowed down to 30-40kmph and this seems to be some kind of protection for the HP fuel pumps and happens if the fuel level is below 15ltrs(according to my SA). I couldn't find anything related to this on the user manual. If this is true, it will limit the so called Tourers range by 33%

Would really appreciate all you guys feedback on the above points.

Cheers,
D.
delta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:32   #694
BHPian

Confusion.

That was the first experience of the Polo GT TSI. My left leg simply could not figure out where to place itself and decided to park itself on the brake. The SA murmured "Sir, drive only with your right foot", mistaking me for an F1 wannabe.

Well, I reversed out of the parking lot in a very confused state of mind (Dangerous) and braked to stop the car and shift into forward gear. Well that's when my right foot found an intruder (my left foot) already occupying the brake pedal. Shutdown. Reboot. Yeah it finally dawned that I was driving my first automatic in India. The left foot is out of the picture. Period.

With a slightly apprehensive SA in the passenger seat I began my TD, easing the car forward in drive. Ended up taking it on my regular route to see how the car would be in a real world scenario. Started out in drive. The shifts were smooth and unintrusive but do not really give you an indication of the performance under the hood.

I then tried out the S mode but found out that the car ended up holding revs and gears unnecessarily. Conclusion was that I had engaged it in unnecessary conditions while following traffic. This mode is best used when you are driving in a way when you definitely want the engine to utilise it's complete rev range. Generally not useful in a regular drive.

Next up was the much anticipated tiptronic mode. One very interesting feature is that the engine downshifts automatically when you slow down in this mode. So in a quick stop you can leave the gear box to it's own devices and concentrate on stopping. The versatality of this mode was further revealed as I got stuck behind some slow moving traffic in Drive (fully automatic) mode. In this mode there was now way the engine would have revved up quick enough for a quick overtaking. No problem. Tapped the gear lever sideways into tiptronic. Shifted down a couple of gears and accelerated. That is when the Polo revealed the performer under the bonnet. The acceleration was very good, good enough for a incident free overtaking move. This move revealed to me the flexibility of using the Drive mode along with the tiptronic. You can have the best of both worlds - well almost.

The drive left me with mixed feelings. It was too short for a conclusive opinion. There was not one feature that stood out as brilliant. It is a powerful car but that can be exploited only if you use the Tiptronic. Performance in auto mode is adequate based on the short drive I had.

The interior is a big letdown. To me this car is to the Polo range what the vRS is to Skoda. And the minute you sit inside the vRS you know it is a special place. Other than the color combination the interior of the Polo is not very special. It just cannot take you away from the fact that the back seat is cramped on space. The stitching on the seats is not sharp - my after market GSport seats look better fitted. For around 9.5 lakhs on road here in Trivandrum, Kerala this car is very good but not brilliant which is what I want a premium hot hatch to be at this price.

For a DSG the Ford Fiesta would be worth a look while considering the GT.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:19   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post

Thanks drjanakpatel,
Glad you are munching lots of miles on your new GT. I am yet to take mine out on the highway, planning for a weekend trip. BTW, did your service advisor gave you any guidelines for running in? Are you planning to change the engine oil earlier than recommended 15K Kms?

Also one more question, a fellow GT owner in my town has reported that his car had slowed down to 30-40kmph and this seems to be some kind of protection for the HP fuel pumps and happens if the fuel level is below 15ltrs(according to my SA). I couldn't find anything related to this on the user manual. If this is true, it will limit the so called Tourers range by 33%

Would really appreciate all you guys feedback on the above points.

Cheers,
D.
For the running in I am trying to be sensible but as soon as I am behind the wheels and see empty stretch its hard to control myself. I am planning to change engine oil and oil filter in next few days. My SA told me its not required but I want to just do it.

No my car never slowed down even when the fuel gauge was 0.
drjanakpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:37   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Yeah it finally dawned that I was driving my first automatic in India. The left foot is out of the picture. Period.
That's a very important point to note for first timers. I got myself, other occupants and the car into a potentially dangerous situation when my left foot went down on the brake with full force, mistaking it for clutch pedal. Keep your left foot as far away from the pedals as possible during initial acclimatisation.
Guite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:44   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Thanks drjanakpatel,

Also one more question, a fellow GT owner in my town has reported that his car had slowed down to 30-40kmph and this seems to be some kind of protection for the HP fuel pumps and happens if the fuel level is below 15ltrs(according to my SA).

D.
I hope it is not a problem. And I only hope it is not a harbinger of things to come in this fine car.

T-Jet users have also reported loss of power after a point where the low fuel indicator light (I think one-fifth of way down) comes on. I think the manual says that the catalytic converter can get damaged with driving with very low fuel levels. So this could be a similar thing.

Quote:
Confusion.

My left leg simply could not figure out where to place itself and decided to park itself on the brake.
I can relate to this. My first ever test drive of an auto (CRV) was in Kolkata, but I managed without getting rear-ended. Many moons later, on the VW Vento A/T, it was open roads and that is when my left "sporty" foot hit the brakes! Bad for occupants. Luckily we were on an empty stretch of road.

Last edited by johy : 23rd May 2013 at 07:57. Reason: Added info.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:08   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Confusion.

For around 9.5 lakhs on road here in Trivandrum, Kerala this car is very good but not brilliant which is what I want a premium hot hatch to be at this price.

Drive on,
Shibu
Did the SA say something about availability? Also it was 9.26 onroad TRV according to the price list I have. Also the back seat is really cramped.

Quote:
Does the warranty stay intact due to the changed ride height? Also what were the other options you looked at?

Last edited by moralfibre : 23rd May 2013 at 09:14. Reason: Back to back posts.
999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:16   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Does the warranty stay intact due to the changed ride height? Also what were the other options you looked at?
I presume that warranty would stay intact because I am not upsizing it to awkward numbers. I have done it in my other cars too including the Bimmer and there was never a warranty issue whatsoever.

The other option I look at is the Yoko ES100. I had the ES100 on my Punto and was pretty satisfied with the superb grip and control. Somebody recommended me Michelin so I will have a look at that as well.
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:27   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT, but Michelin XM2+ does not come in 195/60R15. I think the tire guy is referring to Primacy LCs, not XM2+. XM2+ comes only in 175/65R15, 185/65R15 and 205/65R15 (Innova size).

Quote:
Quote:
I presume that warranty would stay intact because I am not upsizing it to awkward numbers. I have done it in my other cars too including the Bimmer and there was never a warranty issue whatsoever.
I presume 999 is referring to vehicle warranty and not tyre warranty itself. Tyres are covered by the Tyre manufacturer, not by the car maker's warranty. There is no definition or threshold for the term 'awkward'. Theoretically speaking if you alter the manufacturer's tyre specs, they (car makers) are well within their rights to refuse warranty claims if they find that whatever issue reported could be caused due to upsizing of the tyres. If they don't bother and still honour it, that's on goodwill.

That said, upsizing by a size or two won't cause any issues anyway . Just upgrade them and enjoy! Good luck and congratulations for your GT!

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd May 2013 at 08:30.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:04   #701
BHPian

Quote:

The other option I look at is the Yoko ES100. I had the ES100 on my Punto and was pretty satisfied with the superb grip and control. Somebody recommended me Michelin so I will have a look at that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Slightly OT, but Michelin XM2+ does not come in 195/60R15. I think the tire guy is referring to Primacy LCs, not XM2+. XM2+ comes only in 175/65R15, 185/65R15 and 205/65R15 (Innova size).

I presume 999 is referring to vehicle warranty and not tyre warranty itself. Theoretically speaking if you alter the manufacturer's tyre specs, they (car makers) are well within their rights to refuse warranty claims if they find that whatever issue reported could be caused due to upsizing of the tyres. If they don't bother and still honour it, that's on goodwill.
Yes Karthikk, I was referring to the car warranty. 195/60/R15 have a ride height of 117 instead of 111 of the stock tyre. In case of 195/65/R15, it is 2% change from stock (ride height changes by 5.4% though). I read about 2% max limit everywhere so as not to alter the speedo readings, ride height, suspension warrenty etc. I agree it does not change anything too much.
Enjoy the GT Berry.

Last edited by 999 : 23rd May 2013 at 09:08.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:16   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Did the SA say something about availability? Also it was 9.26 onroad TRV according to the price list I have. Also the back seat is really cramped.
Yes, I was wrong on th price. It costs 9.23 lakhs without the VW Drive Assure and VW Personal care.

Regarding availability he said that the current backlog would take around one and a half months to clear.

Quote:
I presume that warranty would stay intact because I am not upsizing it to awkward numbers.
The SA, on my enquiry mentioned that upsizing would cause loss of warranty of suspension but all the other warranties would be intact.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:23   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In this mode there was now way the engine would have revved up quick enough for a quick overtaking.
Yes. However; it does sense action of throttle input and reacts accordingly. I started my drive in D mode. Mashing the throttle proved to me more than sufficient to get ahead of traffic.

Quote:
There was not one feature that stood out as brilliant.
Surprised to read this. I did not, but if you had a chance to test ESP; you would be singing praises about it. To me, the engine and gearbox itself are two of the best bits on this car.

Quote:
The interior is a big letdown.
Not sure what to make of this. Sure, they did not do something like Skoda did for the vRs. I find the quality of materials inside the GT to be of the highest standards of any car sold in its segment and some above. We all expected more bling inside and outside the car and that is something VW completely missed.

Quote:
this car is very good but not brilliant which is what I want a premium hot hatch to be at this price.
What car do you think betters the GT as a premium hot hatch? As for the pricing, you will start to notice cars like the GT that carry similar technical specifications are going to cost as much and probably more.

Quote:
If the Ford had some shove under the hood, it would have been worth considering it. For outright engine performance, the GT will destroy the Ford.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:35   #704
BHPian

Quote:
The versatality of this mode was further revealed as I got stuck behind some slow moving traffic in Drive (fully automatic) mode. In this mode there was now way the engine would have revved up quick enough for a quick overtaking.

It is a powerful car but that can be exploited only if you use the Tiptronic. Performance in auto mode is adequate based on the short drive I had.

Shibu
That's not true at all. The DSG senses the throttle input and will accordingly up-shift at higher rpms. That's the brilliance of this box. I found the D-mode more than sufficient for over-taking maneuvers and equally fun to drive if ripped.

Quote:
There was not one feature that stood out as brilliant.
For around 9.5 lakhs on road here in Trivandrum, Kerala this car is very good but not brilliant which is what I want a premium hot hatch to be at this price.

Shibu
Again, you are sadly mistaken, my friend. DSG sits there right at the top along with the new 8-speed auto box from the new 3 series F30. Or even above it. And then you have the brilliant turbo-petrol TSI engine. Mating the two technologies is nothing but Brilliance Personified.
This hatch is not just any regular family hatch that you can upgrade to from an Alto or an i10 AT. This car is for those few enthusiasts and the price will make sure it remains so.
floyd.bell is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:01   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
DSG sits there right at the top along with the new 8-speed auto box from the new 3 series F30.
This hatch is not just any regular family hatch that you can upgrade to from an Alto or an i10 AT. This car is for those few enthusiasts and the price will make sure it remains so.
I drove probably the same car as shibujp (white polo TSi). I didnt find the GT with DSG a brilliant package in total. The upshipts were barely perceptible, and decently quick. Infact on my insistance my wife tried the S mode and boy, she was grinning for a long time after that. No complaints from her guarenteed if I plonk 9 big ones on GT .
Floyd.bel, as you rightly put it is purely an for the initiated at 9.25 lakhs onroad. Makes it almost the same price of one of the new xylo H varients. But then if space and size was the primary considerations, we are in the wrong forum aren't we?

Last edited by 999 : 23rd May 2013 at 12:04.