Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th September 2013, 23:07   #1096
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I dont know about the abarth 1.6, the signals coming out of fiat are hinting at a body kitted punto with the 1.4Tjet and Multijet diesel, albeit in in slightly higher state of tune.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 23:12   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
With Abarth being tested (caught & reported) on our roads, FIAT is that much closer to launching it later this year. I think you should wait for the same to compare it heads on with the Polo GT and then take a call. At this time the GT has no direct competition and the TSi engine's response compared to the Multijet will always be alluring. Abarth vs Polo GT will be an Oranges to Oranges comparison and for all you know FIAT may just launch it with a 1.6L turbocharged engine instead of the 1.4L that does duty in the TJet currently. The 1.4 is already potent enough to make the TJet fly off the blocks, with the Abarth's (less weight) it will as if running on Nitrous and with the 1.6 we may just be able to put someone on the Moon.
Abarth if launched would sure be a nice option for you especially if its considerably cheaper than the Polo Tsi. However, you will miss out on the brilliant DSG box which is a boon in city drives.
But I have been hearing of this upcoming Abarth launch since ages now and nothing is confirmed yet. Is there a globally available Abarth with 1.6L turbocharged engine? I think the 1.4 Tjet is the most we can expect. Looking forward to seeing which state of tune they bring in though.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2013, 23:47   #1098
BHPian

Wanted to share the Sriperumbudur track times from this months Autocar test. The Polo Tsi as expected is much faster than the 1.6 on a track and Narain's comment on getting a sportier set of dampers to improve handling and performance is spot on. It the fastest production hatch Autocar has tested in Sriperumbudur and is faster than the City and Linea T-Jet.
In my car, the paddle shifters along with a conservative remap and Bilstein sports suspension has upped the FTD factor by several notches.

Wish VW had got the 1.4TSi Polo Gti to India, it would have been a stonker with terrific mod potential as well.

MODS, kindly merge the back to back posts if possible. The time limit had elapsed hence could not do it from my end.

This years lap times
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-mmst2013autocar.jpg

A look at previous years times
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-mmsttrackautocartimes.jpg

Narain's view
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-narainpoloautocar13.jpg

Last edited by robimahanta : 9th September 2013 at 00:03.
robimahanta is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 11:36   #1099
BHPian

So I was supposed to get my TSi this week from VW Mumbai South (Shaman). I have never gotten a call from them so far, I have to keep calling them up to get the status of the car (suckie).

So after telling me that they will give me my car 100% by this month, on Friday they tell me that they haven't gotten an allocation from the factory at all this month and I would have to wait for 1 more month. I have already waited for 12 weeks. I'm really fed up with their poor customer centricity and I'm in half a mind to cancel the car and pick up the Punto 90hp and remap it.

Has anyone in Bombay gotten their cars this month? Because if what they're telling me about not getting an allocation this month is a lie, then I will really blow my top.
mango_pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 12:21   #1100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post

Has anyone in Bombay gotten their cars this month? Because if what they're telling me about not getting an allocation this month is a lie, then I will really blow my top.
Try another colour. I remember them telling me black was available in 3 weeks, and this was about 2 weeks ago. So maybe a colour change will work.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 12:26   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Try another colour. I remember them telling me black was available in 3 weeks, and this was about 2 weeks ago. So maybe a colour change will work.
Nope, they haven't gotten any allocations from the factory apparently. Asked them about that as well.
Old 9th September 2013, 13:02   #1102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope, they haven't gotten any allocations from the factory apparently. Asked them about that as well.
Or change the booking to the Polo 1.6gtd and get one of the first.
Old 9th September 2013, 13:09   #1103
BHPian

Quote:

Or change the booking to the Polo 1.6gtd and get one of the first.
Has it been launched?
Old 9th September 2013, 13:18   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has it been launched?
Apparently yes!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-10-a-15.html

dunno how this happened - no media launch, but cars are getting delivered!
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 13:31   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Apparently yes!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-10-a-15.html

dunno how this happened - no media launch, but cars are getting delivered!
Just checked with my sales rep. Says its not been launched officially as yet and they haven't received the pricing of the car. They're expected to start delivering it next week.

Akshay, he said that I can be one of the first to get the gtd. but frankly, I'd rather have the TSi with the dsg.
If it doesn't come to me by the end of this month, I'll probably end up cancelling the booking, cursing VW, waiting for the punto abarth which is expected by early next year (From a source).
Old 9th September 2013, 14:04   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, he said that I can be one of the first to get the gtd. but frankly, I'd rather have the TSi with the dsg.
If it doesn't come to me by the end of this month, I'll probably end up cancelling the booking, cursing VW, waiting for the punto abarth which is expected by early next year (From a source).
Honestly, if you don't want to wait get the GT tdi. The tsi should come in a month, but you never know. And the tdi will be way faster than the Punto 90hp. As for the Abarth, I don't think the pricing will be anywhere near these cars, it will be much more.

A tdi + remap + rims will be a lot of fun too. And it will give you far better mileage than the tsi.
Old 9th September 2013, 14:21   #1107
BHPian

Quote:

Just checked with my sales rep. Says its not been launched officially as yet and they haven't received the pricing of the car. They're expected to start delivering it next week.

I am in the same boat as you. Being offered a GT TDI to be delivered this week.

I am in a hurry to get a car but somehow not able to convince myself for a TDI instead of TSI. I wish I had not TD'ed TSI.
sahilkhurana is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 16:22   #1108

I booked my TSI in Chennai in end of July and was given the same waiting of 3-4 months. However, I offered to purchase the car outright and kept calling them three times every week to follow up.

Finally got my TSI delivered on 2 Sep (5 weeks).

If you are unwilling to pay outright, maybe you can just bait them similarly and then change to financing, once u have the VIN nos. allotted.

Btw, not my place to say, but don't cancel your booking even if you had to wait a little longer. The car is absolute hoot to drive!
kamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 16:41   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, if you don't want to wait get the GT tdi. The tsi should come in a month, but you never know. And the tdi will be way faster than the Punto 90hp. As for the Abarth, I don't think the pricing will be anywhere near these cars, it will be much more.

A tdi + remap + rims will be a lot of fun too. And it will give you far better mileage than the tsi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
I am in the same boat as you. Being offered a GT TDI to be delivered this week.

I am in a hurry to get a car but somehow not able to convince myself for a TDI instead of TSI. I wish I had not TD'ed TSI.

Okay, so I spoke to another forum member (esma1981) as well as another dealership...
The dealership told me that no dealer has any cars with them as of now. Additionally, the import of the engine and transmission units has slowed down because of the volatile and now very weak exchange rate. So there will be delays in the delivery of the TSi. But the delay should not be for more than a couple of weeks over the original estimated waiting period.

The advice that esma1981 gave me was wait till the end of this month, to get the car. If it doesn't come by the end of this month or the beginning of the next month, then maybe think about getting the TDi or waiting for the Punto Abarth. The good part is I'm not in much of a hurry. But that doesn't mean I like waiting for so long to get my car!

I'm not too keen to go for the tdi for a couple of reasons:
- I love the engine + gearbox combo of the tsi;
- You don't get the DSG, ESP, hill hold and traction control. So it out specs the tdi;
- I've driven a fair number of good diesel cars, and I realize I need a car that can rev freely;
- With a remap, one can extract similar power figures from both the cars (~135bhp) albeit with only 250nm of torque in the TSi and closer to 320nm in the tdi. However, I'm given to understand that the 0-100 figures would be roughly the same, even marginally better for the TSi.
- I don't like diesel clatter.
- The potential for playing with a TC'ed petrol car is much more than that of a diesel car. FFE + CAI + remap. Heck, it can probably be made twin-charged like the erstwhile 1.4 tsi engines.

I would rather stick with this car than even the Punto Abarth if and when it comes out because...
- The build quality is far superior of VW
- The overall noise insulation, quality of materials used, makes you feel as if you're driving a car which is a couple of segments higher up.
- I prefer the ride quality of the stock TSi than that of the Punto. My bet is that the Abarth would have a stiffer suspension setup.

So Sahil, if you don't mind waiting, then wait! I'm sure it will be well worth the wait
mango_pal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 16:52   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
So Sahil, if you don't mind waiting, then wait! I'm sure it will be well worth the wait
Thanks mango_pal. No matter how much my current drive (Hyundai Santro 2002) troubles me I am going to wait till this month end. My SA had also confirmed that there is uncertainty from VW's side but he has promised me that he will get me a car by this month end. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by sahilkhurana : 9th September 2013 at 17:07.
sahilkhurana is offline   Reply With Quote