Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th September 2013, 13:27   #1126
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I feel that VW are not doing proper market research before launching these cars. Case in point the VW Cross Polo ( what the hell was VW thinking).
Even in the case of the GT TSI it would have made more sense to add allround disk brakes instead of ESP which takes away the pure thrill of driving.
In the case of the GT TDI we have a really excellent concept a torquey diesel engine in a hatch but sadly the finished product lacks the essentials re: all round disks or ESP
ironager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 15:29   #1127
BHPian

Its amazing how people pass flying judgments on the must have and must have not's on a car without even having driven it and pushed it to its limits.

IF you had done the above, you would have realized that the Polo TSI's braking system is good enough, actually pretty damn good, and combined with the DSG downshifting to add engine braking, it is MORE THAN ADEQUATE for 99% of your high speed driving adventures, and 100% of ur daily use.

And again if you had driven the car and pushed it to its limits, you would have realized how badly this car needs ESP, particularly in combination with the DSG and the funny rear suspension and terrible stock tires. Take a normal polo and try and snap oversteer it, you wont be able to as the car doesnt have enough go in the engine. Try and do the same in the Polo TSI with ESP switched off or TDI, and u will loose the tail faster than u can say "osheettt". Given most buyers will be sticking to stock tires or atleast stock tire width (185), ESP can be a life saver.

If anything, even the Polo GT TDI should have come with ESP. Don,t believe me, wait till the Autocross season starts and see how many Polo GT TDI cars do tail happy spins with stock rubber.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 15:47   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Its amazing how people pass flying judgments on the must have and must have not's on a car without even having driven it and pushed it to its limits.
I purchased the GT TSI 4 days after it was launched...its done 4000 kms as of today and tops out at 190 kph

And yes ESP is rubbish (talking from experience as i drove a bmw e36 for 3 years) would have preferred all four disks

Last edited by ironager : 16th September 2013 at 15:53.
Old 16th September 2013, 15:54   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironager View Post
I purchased the GT TSI 4 days after it was launched...its done 4000 kms as of today and tops out at 190 kph

And yes ESP is rubbish i would have preferred all four disks
Then I suggest you change your tires (the GT comes with 215 stock rubber in most parts of the world ) which eliminates the need for rear discs and significantly improves braking performance.

The only problem of having rear drums in the GT is that brake upgrades become a dodgy issues as the rear drums cannot be upgraded to the same level as the front discs.

Take a corner real hard and you will feel the ESP working with the XDS to keep the car in line, where as without it the car would understeer like crazy.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 15:55   #1130
BHPian

Moderator note: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also do a Preview before Submitting the post. Thanks

Today I join the ranks of the people who have received a call from your friendly dealership trying to push the GT TDI. I had to share the conversation which really took the edge off a stressful day.

SA: Sir, your GT TSI will take time, but I can get you a GT TDI. It is the same car with diesel engine.
Me:What about Automatic. I have a slip-disc (back problem) and need an automatic, hence why I am waiting specifically for Automatic
SA:Sir but you can get a driver to avoid driving.

I proceeded to tell him that I need to be at work at 5:30am and no driver shows up that early and if he was offering his services for some extra money on the side. I was promptly told that in my case it is better to wait for the TSI, which by the way, they still don't know the delivery date.

I have told them that I will take any color and am not ristricted. The good news apparently I've been re-assured I will get my car before the end of the month. It was actually supposed to be last month, but got pushed.

Side note: My Cousin also booked at GT TSI in Coimbatore and straight off the bat, "Sir 1 year from now you will have your car".

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th September 2013 at 16:23.
stumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 15:56   #1131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

And yes ESP is rubbish (talking from experience as i drove a bmw e36 for 3 years) would have preferred all four disks
With all due respect, accelerating to the top speed doesn't show any need for ESP. Unless you have really pushed the car around bends you wouldn't have appreciated it.

And if ESP is such rubbish then why have you mentioned it as one of the necessities for the GT TDI in your earlier post?
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 16:40   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Now if only someone would launch a hot diesel hatch with A/T as well to boot. I know I'm in the minority but that combo would really swing it for me.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 17:43   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
With all due respect, accelerating to the top speed doesn't show any need for ESP. Unless you have really pI feeshed the car around bends you woinvoking ave appreciated it.

And if ESP is such rubbish then why have you mentioned it as one of the necessities for the GT TDI in your earlier post?
Akshay it's my personal opinion that it would have been better if VW had offered the GT with all round disk brakes instead of ESP as i feel that with ESP the car is less involving when driven. As I had stated in an earlier post I used to drive a BMW e36 and that car had no esp just abs and it felt really involving when driven hard

And as for why i said that the ESP was one of the necessities for the GT TDI, its BECAUSE VW should offer the same level of features in both GT TSI and TDI
Old 16th September 2013, 17:46   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay it's my personal opinion that it would have been better if VW had offered the GT with all round disk brakes instead of ESP as i feel that with ESP the car is less involving when driven. As I had stated in an earlier post I used to drive a BMW e36 and that car had no esp just abs and it felt really involving when driven hard

And as for why i said that the ESP was one of the necessities for the GT TDI, its BECAUSE VW should offer the same level of features in both GT TSI and TDI
Going OT but -

I respect your opinion, but I think you may be mistaken.

As far as I know, the Polo has an ESP off button. Do try it with the system off and see if it is any more involving to drive.

Also the reason your E36 was more involving to drive was not because ESP was missing, but because of many other things like the glorious BMW chassis and direct steering.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 17:50   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi81 View Post
Then I suggest you change your tires (the GT comes with 215 stock rubber in most parts of the world which eliminates the need for rear discs and significantly improves braking performance.

The only problem of having rear drums in the GT is that brake upgrades become a dodgy issues as the rear drums cannot be upgraded to the same level as the front discs
First thing I did after getting the car was to get rid if the stock Apollo tyres with Michelins and it made a world of diffrence in the overall drivability of the car.

As for the rear brake setup I'm fully in agreement it's complicated installing disks.

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th September 2013 at 17:57. Reason: Please dont quote videos while replying. Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 18:39   #1136
BHPian

Quote:

First thing I did after getting the car was to get rid if the stock Apollo tyres with Michelins and it made a world of diffrence in the overall drivability of the car.

As for the rear brake setup I'm fully in agreement it's complicated installing disks.
Not quite. The rear discs are a pretty simple swap. I am almost done gathering part numbers for it. What I meant was the that in case you upgrade your front brakes in the stock car, the reardrums cant be upgraded to provide the same stopping power which inherently would disbalance braking under high speed. If you upgrade to discs then the upgrades would be more even. Keep glued here. Will post the conversion setup soon., ;-)

And going back to esp, not all of us are star drivers and in a short wheelbase high torque fwd car, its a must have feature, especially with the oddities of the polo 6r suspension setup. If it was possible to dial in about .75 degrees of negative camber in the rear, the car would have been much more stable for us mortals, and we could talk about doing away with esp and get discs all round. But since it aint, I'd rather have esp which helps keep the rear in check. And you cant completely turn off esp in this car. It will kick back in when things are about to go very wrong.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:23   #1137
BHPian

Rear disc conversion is an easy retrofit for Polo/Vento. The stock Octavia petrol (1st Gen) rear brake system is a direct swap. Pete's have done it on a Vento (its there on there website). Just get the parts and do the retrofit in case you feel the need. Personally I feel upgrading the front braking to a Tarox 4 piston setup will be a better option albeit expensive.
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:45   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Rear disc conversion is an easy retrofit for Polo/Vento. The stock Octavia petrol (1st Gen) rear brake system is a direct swap. Pete's have done it on a Vento (its there on there website). Just get the parts and do the retrofit in case you feel the need. Personally I feel upgrading the front braking to a Tarox 4 piston setup will be a better option albeit expensive.
Robi and his love for tarox.. lol. Tarox would be overkill man.. same as aetting the assist to strong in vcds abs controller.. face in windshield stopping power!
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 20:56   #1139
BHPian

ESP is a feature of ABS. ABS offers a variety of safety features which includes but not limited to TCS, ESP, ASR, HHC, HDL, CBC, EBC, EBD etc. The range of these features and their effectiveness depends on the range of ABS pump, electronics and the sensors used.
One thing to note is that these features will only kick in when the situation demands it. One may not even notice these and they would remain inactive in normal driving conditions. Having said that, they're not an alternative to unsafe driving methods, improper roads/constructions/bends etc. This means, we all have to rely on our 'traditional' senses and techniques to ensure our safety.

Coming to Tarox brakes, though they may be good, my suggestion would be to stick to the stock parts as the company has already done sufficient research on these areas. This is quite true for VW group. My 2 cents if you're considering a brake conversion/change.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 21:24   #1140
BHPian

Here you go. OEM rear disc brake setup with part numbers for the Polo TSI. Do it at your own pleasure.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130916_212059.png
Views: 2297
Size:  273.4 KB
prithwi-81 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote