Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 19:37   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Give Enjoy a chance guys.
I agree. I got a chance to explore the Enjoy up close today, and I must say it is a good package at this price point (9.8L OTR in BLR). This was the top end model with leather seats and beige interiors - was indeed very spacious, even in the third row. The middle row captain seats are quite comfortable. There was enough room for shopping bags and small luggage even with the third row in use.

The NVH levels are decent, and the engine is relatively quiet.

All in all, a good people mover suitable for urban runs.
xoom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 22:42   #122
BHPian
 
vivekgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 627
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Leg room for the front passenger looks really limited. Hope its not the camera angle making it seem so.
Looks like a generated old MPV in shape. Looks like a wasted effort. They could have put it in something else.
The legroom felt more than adequate, but then I'm not tall.

The Enjoy does look old when compared to say, the Ertiga, but the advantage of older shapes is the large glass area. This makes the insides airy and more spacious. Remember that for a given set of dimensions, a box will always have the largest volume. I found the Enjoy a lot more pleasing to the eye than the Evalia, which manages to look too boxy and too edgy at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Interiors : How were the leather seats in the Enjoy, did they not help in terms of the 'Quality of Interiors' feel? Or was it the overall layout hat didn't feel classy?
The leather seats felt good, but it is the too spartan dash that really spoils the ambiance in the Enjoy. It is functional, and little else and lacks richness. This is the case with all Chevy products, with the exception of the Beat and the Cruze/Captiva. It's because they're based on Made for China designs. Some chrome/silver bits and accents would have really made a difference, as would some soft feel plastic. A modern Tata dash (Vista/Manza/Aria/Storme) feels miles ahead in terms of richness. Ironic considering that Tata used to be the benchmark for bad plastics.

The problem is not just that the quality feel is lacking. When you look at a Tata product, you can see that they have made an effort and failed. There are rubber boots, but they're badly finished. There are silver accents, but the silver rubs off in months. There are deep blacks that fade in the sun, shiny fabrics that peel off etc..

In the case of the Chevrolets, they haven't even made the effort to make it look special. They haven't tried at all, and that somehow makes it worse, IMHO. It's all one big mass of beige and black plastic that looks like someone forgot to paint it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi
Dunno why the 'Chinese Product' label was applied in sort of a derogatory manner, even the iPad/iPhones are made in china apart from a huge number of high quality products. True, some cheap 'Chinese' stuff may have caught the label, but many things that the Chinese make is very high quality.
I think there's a difference 'Made in China' products and what are called 'Chinese' products. I have a Micromax A110 phone, and my sister has a Samsung Galaxy Grand, both made in China. Both look so similar that people have asked me about my 'Galaxy phone' on several occasions. But when you hold the two together, you start to notice the subtle differences. On the Samsung, The chrome finishing is more even, the switches have crisper feedback, the screen colors look just that bit more vibrant, and the plastics have a richer, softer feel and texture. The Samsung feels (not looks) 'crafted' not manufactured. Not all Chinese products are alike.

That said why'd I buy the Micromax? I got it for half the price and does just about everything the Samsung does! As for the Enjoy, it is closer to the Samsung than the Micromax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi
There's a proper 80-100k difference in price compared to Ertiga, dunno why reviewer claimed just 40-70k difference.
The reviewer was likely talking about the ex-showroom price. When you add the tax ans Insurance which are usually a percentage of the ex-showroom price, the difference widens.
vivekgk is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 23:34   #123
BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 936
Thanked: 1,415 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

The legroom felt more than adequate, but then I'm not tall.

The Enjoy does look old when compared to say, the Ertiga, but the advantage of older shapes is the large glass area. This makes the insides airy and more spacious. Remember that for a given set of dimensions, a box will always have the largest volume. I found the Enjoy a lot more pleasing to the eye than the Evalia, which manages to look too boxy and too edgy at once!

The leather seats felt good, but it is the too spartan dash that really spoils the ambiance in the Enjoy. It is functional, and little else and lacks richness. This is the case with all Chevy products, with the exception of the Beat and the Cruze/Captiva. It's because they're based on Made for China designs. Some chrome/silver bits and accents would have really made a difference, as would some soft feel plastic. A modern Tata dash (Vista/Manza/Aria/Storme) feels miles ahead in terms of richness. Ironic considering that Tata used to be the benchmark for bad plastics.
So the dashboard seems unappealing. Although the looks point of view is subjective

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
The problem is not just that the quality feel is lacking. When you look at a Tata product, you can see that they have made an effort and failed. There are rubber boots, but they're badly finished. There are silver accents, but the silver rubs off in months. There are deep blacks that fade in the sun, shiny fabrics that peel off etc..

In the case of the Chevrolets, they haven't even made the effort to make it look special. They haven't tried at all, and that somehow makes it worse, IMHO. It's all one big mass of beige and black plastic that looks like someone forgot to paint it!
Ohk! Good comparo, the analogy paints quite the picture. Again, for almost a lakh less they've done what's functionally needed to be done. But you always have the better designed choices. The average joe doesn't have this attention to detail and may not find anything lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I think there's a difference 'Made in China' products and what are called 'Chinese' products. I have a Micromax A110 phone, and my sister has a Samsung Galaxy Grand, both made in China. Both look so similar that people have asked me about my 'Galaxy phone' on several occasions. But when you hold the two together, you start to notice the subtle differences. On the Samsung, The chrome finishing is more even, the switches have crisper feedback, the screen colors look just that bit more vibrant, and the plastics have a richer, softer feel and texture. The Samsung feels (not looks) 'crafted' not manufactured. Not all Chinese products are alike.

That said why'd I buy the Micromax? I got it for half the price and does just about everything the Samsung does! As for the Enjoy, it is closer to the Samsung than the Micromax!
See I get your point. It's those small things that matter a lot. But hoping not to be mistaken, that Micromax A110 we're (yep!) using is Made in India (Gurgaon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
The reviewer was likely talking about the ex-showroom price. When you add the tax ans Insurance which are usually a percentage of the ex-showroom price, the difference widens.
NO! Theres a clear 80-90,000/- difference in Bangalore Ex-Showroom prices (in the VDI & ZDI respectively)! Infact Ertiga comes without alloys or leather seats even in the ZDI. With all due respect, reviewers should've got such details right from the beginning, else it doesn't paint the true picture.

Thanks for the reply, analysis & point of view!
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 03:34   #124
BHPian
 
vivekgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 627
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
So the dashboard seems unappealing. Although the looks point of view is subjective
It's not that it is bad per se. It just looks under-dressed. At least I felt that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi
See I get your point. It's those small things that matter a lot. But hoping not to be mistaken, that Micromax A110 we're (yep!) using is Made in India (Gurgaon).
Ah, sadly, only the Micromax Funbook Tab is made in India. I made the mistake of buying one. It stopped working in a month. Returned it to service center, who kept it for 4 months before returning it with non working wifi and orientation sensors. It finally died again after two weeks.

Thankfully, Micromax A110 is made in China by Tinno. If you look at the device info from the EXIF data in pics taken using this phone, you'll get the exact model as well. BTW, I hope you have installed the official JellyBean update. Totally worth it and a must have. Still doesn't fix my phone's abysmal wifi range or GPS locking issues. Pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi
NO! Theres a clear 80-90,000/- difference in Bangalore Ex-Showroom prices (in the VDI & ZDI respectively)! Infact Ertiga comes without alloys or leather seats even in the ZDI. With all due respect, reviewers should've got such details right from the beginning, else it doesn't paint the true picture.
At those prices, it should be also compared to sedans like the Dzire, Sail, Etios etc.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, analysis & point of view!
Always a pleasure.
vivekgk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 02:05   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 107
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Went to Cheverlet showroom on my to Ertiga booking-and I must confess, I was tempted to cance the Ertiga-but booked Ertiga Zxi after riding Ertiga in the 3rd row and then, driving it myself.

I did not take the test drive of Enjoy-but here are my observations as a layman.

1. It does not look as bad as the photos are made out to be. Surely, old time design- reminded me of an expanded Versa. In dimensions, this is the closest 7-8 seater to Ertiga. Chrome finish Grille looks good. But, somehow, the paint finish looks weak. Makes it look-sub standard.

2. Enjoy is for a family of 4 Adults and 3 Kids. 3 adults in the 3rd seat might find it difficult. The width (thigh support) is damn too less and I am 5"5 and would want to sit there for long. Leg room is sufficient though. This one reason I went for Ertiga- it can have 5 Adults and 2 kids.

3. Captain's seat in 2nd row : Another reason for me to go for Ertiga-I have a small kid. She can lie down on 2nd row in Ertiga in long drives. Though, in Enjoy, comfortable definitely with enough legroom.

4. Boot space- quite a lot with back seat down-a lot more with it rolled up.

5 The tyres looked kindda skinny on such a big car. So do the OVRMS-small and cheap.

6 Interiors- somewhat OK but somehow, that class is missing. They are providing a lot of interiors options as standard- Art Leather upholstery, Wooden inserts on AC went, Door Armrest, gear Knob- small items but they are going to cost one some money if done outside ie Ertiga. But, the cheap finish mars it. Frankly, that feeling of sturdiness and class doesn't come.

7. The list of additional items as compared to Ertiga - RPAS, charging socket in 3rd row, 3rd row butterfly window.

8. Warranty : 3yrs/100K vs 2yrs/40K for Ertiga.

9. ABS and Alloy wheels are standard in top end. Rear End drive- I am not sure which is better and for what purpose.

10. And the biggest sucker punch is the pricing.
OTR in Pune is 8.30, 7.51 and 6.61 for 7 seaters and 6.54 for 8 seater.
For Ertiga it is 8.75, 7.85 and 7.02.

But, thats where the problem lies. The difference is 45K, in actual you are getting a lot more -on paper- but of what quality ? Outside paint looks flimsy, the interiors reek of, -well- Chinese. the network is poor and Service centres far off-and I am not sure about Spares availability and pricing.
So, if I am owning a 8L vehicle, I would spend 45K more to get a better quality and class-maybe for a higher price.

But, let there be no doubt about it. Chevy has a winner at its hand. We are are going to to see lot more Enjoys on the road- but as Taxis. The amount of curiosity it has generated is amazing. But, as a personal vehicle, I would not want it.
In near future, if you would compare the ratio of cabs/own of Enjoy and Ertiga, it will be much higher for Enjoy.
rohit0103 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 06:13   #126
BHPian
 
kaiserketkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 182
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
But, let there be no doubt about it. Chevy has a winner at its hand. We are are going to to see lot more Enjoys on the road- but as Taxis. The amount of curiosity it has generated is amazing. But, as a personal vehicle, I would not want it.
In near future, if you would compare the ratio of cabs/own of Enjoy and Ertiga, it will be much higher for Enjoy.
You said it rohit. Everything about it looks great on paper but it just doesn't make the cut as a personal vehicle. I too would rather choose the Ertiga over the Enjoy or the Evalia.
The only good that hopefully would come out of it.... If the Enjoy does reasonably well... is that Maruti responds by loading up the Ertiga.
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 12:40   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyd
Posts: 103
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Great review, Thanks. This is an enticing entry from GM and makes a promising People mover and gets many things better than existing vehicles in this domain.

What Chevy got right - 1. the 7 seat configuration with the 2 captain seats in the center make this the best proposition in this segment and way better in comfort/practicality than the Ertiga and the Evalia. Both the Maruti and Nissan should add this 7 seat version and remove the inconvenience of folding the central bench. 2. GM has priced this competitively compared to the others in this category. 3. That the 1.3 Multijet is surprisingly peppy (though noisy) in a heavier vehicle, is the best revelation about this wonderful engine.

What GM can do better - 1. the NVH levels 2. the overall indoor treatment (including things like the gear knob and steering wheel) should improve 3. Reduce the Chinese design aspects of the design of this and the Chevy Sail 4. Their marketing has to grow up a notch and make some noise, for this is a great option for India.

Nissan can learn a thing or two from this vehicle and get some decent numbers for the Evalia. Maruti Suzuki can make the Ertiga even hotter by learning from the Enjoy.

Last edited by vishwas : 20th May 2013 at 12:44.
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 12:59   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 107
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwas View Post
What Chevy got right - 1. the 7 seat configuration with the 2 captain seats in the center make this the best proposition in this segment and way better in comfort/practicality than the Ertiga and the Evalia. Both the Maruti and Nissan should add this 7 seat version and remove the inconvenience of folding the central bench. .
2nd row bench i.e. Ertiga, has its own advantage for families with with small kids. That mattered to me while finalizing Ertiga.

For individuals adults, 2nd row Captain seats may be best option.
rohit0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 19:57   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida, Gurgaon
Posts: 435
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

While looking for some Chevy Enjoy related news I found this very good video on GM's Vadodara Plant and making of Chevrolet Enjoy!!! To me a video probably throws more light on this product than a picture!!! I would say..Enjoy and have fun!!!


Last edited by anu21v : 24th May 2013 at 20:01.
anu21v is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 21:49   #130
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
While looking for some Chevy Enjoy related news I found this very good video on GM's Vadodara Plant and making of Chevrolet Enjoy!!! To me a video probably throws more light on this product than a picture!!! I would say..Enjoy and have fun!!!

Looks like this is the budget GM has to marketing. upload the videos on youtube and let people search it themselves.

Seriously i am clueless why GM is behaving like this. They launch 3 new products in less than a year. But hardly any publicity. There is no excitement buildup and many outside TBHP and such forums may not even be aware of Cars like Sail and Enjoy !!!
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 22:31   #131
BHPian
 
ganesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madurai
Posts: 236
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Tried the Enjoy yesterday and the thoughts were almost the same as what Xoom and Rohit had said.

The exterior certainly looks like a better designed van.

The interior while it was all ok and well put together, it did not have anything going for it. It was way neutral.

Space inside the vehicle is really good. Sheet metal and door thickness seemed more but not heavier.

I must say, I was impressed with the quality of the LTZ seat cover, its fit and finish - Simply Superb! Had a nice feel too while sitting on it.

Captain seats were excellent on comfort level, one can simply slide it and sleep like in a semi-sleeper. Lot of leg room.

Driving position was more van like as the seats are placed much forward than in an ertiga (which felt more car like)
Engine was noisy and was always able to hear a thrum kind of noise when accelerated. Never felt like in an ertiga/swift. Wonder how NDTV reviewer in his report said the diesel sounds better controlled in NVH.

Pick up was ok. Suspension was ok. Heard the 3rd row was bouncy.

Gear stick was not good, the feel was so bad like moving a stick inside a drum of dough.

Moving to 3rd row via 2nd row captain seats i.e in-between them was awkward and they should have made it similar to the folding one in 8 seater but may not be possible due to the captain seat slider mechanism in the 7 seater.

By all means it can certainly take on its own sibling Tavera and not Ertiga in terms of personal ownership.

Chevy has a brilliant product for the taxi segment.

Last edited by ganesc : 24th May 2013 at 22:44.
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 23:43   #132
BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 936
Thanked: 1,415 Times
Default

Gonna have a TD tomorrow, till now what I've dug out about Maruti & deduced about Enjoy :

Ertiga has a BAD ride quality. Maruti has made it mandatory to change synthetic oil (costing 4000) every 10,000kms, that's anything but low. Maruti gives only a 40,000km warranty, whereas for ~20k extra (IIRC) Chevy gives 1,00,000 km all inclusive(except clutch, brake-pad ofcourse) extended warranty. As I mentioned earlier, Ertiga has a noticeable turbo lag, viz. not in the case of Enjoy.

Enjoy offers linear acceleration, and I don't think that 15bhp extra that Ertiga has makes any major difference. BUT that's subjective of how the engine has been tuned and AFAIK the difference would only be at very high speeds. Pls shed some light here if I'm missing something.

I'm not considering the number of service centres because the 1.3mjd being the national engine could probably be checked & diagnosed at many other places.

Wrt the interiors, maintaining Ertiga's beige is going to be far too difficult to be bothering that Enjoys interiors are less plush, although Enjoy does provide good leather seats. Enjoy also comes alloys in the top end, unlike Ertiga.

Enjoy is much more spacious, and a proper 7/8 seater for 1Lakh less.

What say? Any suggestions/corrections welcome!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th May 2013 at 23:58.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 12:29   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 86
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

The last three offerings from Chevy stable, viz., Sail U-VA, Sail and now Enjoy are all very good VFM and probably will also run the distance. With service package etc also there is no denying the fact that they also should give you relatively more peace of mind. But as it turns out you really have to be BOLD to go for these vehicles. First, they have miniscule road presence in these segment with all three vehicles combined. Second, all the three vehicles are relatively new in India even though they are extremely popular in China. Third, sales and A$$- anybody's guess. I am not a big fan of MSIL and for that matter for any brand. I actually would like to see all brands raking in good numbers so that customers get a plethora of choice among good vehicles not the mediocre ones. The latter I believe the scenario has been over the last decade and things are thankfully changing for the former.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 13:57   #134
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 23
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Gonna have a TD tomorrow, till now what I've dug out about Maruti & deduced about Enjoy :

Ertiga has a BAD ride quality. Maruti has made it mandatory to change synthetic oil (costing 4000) every 10,000kms, that's anything but low. Maruti gives only a 40,000km warranty, whereas for ~20k extra (IIRC) Chevy gives 1,00,000 km all inclusive(except clutch, brake-pad ofcourse) extended warranty. As I mentioned earlier, Ertiga has a noticeable turbo lag, viz. not in the case of Enjoy.

Enjoy offers linear acceleration, and I don't think that 15bhp extra that Ertiga has makes any major difference. BUT that's subjective of how the engine has been tuned and AFAIK the difference would only be at very high speeds. Pls shed some light here if I'm missing something.

I'm not considering the number of service centres because the 1.3mjd being the national engine could probably be checked & diagnosed at many other places.

Wrt the interiors, maintaining Ertiga's beige is going to be far too difficult to be bothering that Enjoys interiors are less plush, although Enjoy does provide good leather seats. Enjoy also comes alloys in the top end, unlike Ertiga.

Enjoy is much more spacious, and a proper 7/8 seater for 1Lakh less.

What say? Any suggestions/corrections welcome!
Dear Grammar Nazi,

The standard warranty on Chevrolet cars in 3 years / 1 lakh kms without taking any extra money. By paying some extra money you get Chevrolet Promise Retail Scheme where for 3 years / 45,000 kms you dont have to pay for anything, not even for oil, oil filter, clutch and brakes! Plus the oil change is 15000 kms AFAIK.
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 14:46   #135
BHPian
 
sharoncr_17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 355
Thanked: 246 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Chevrolet Enjoy : Official Review

Took a test drive, my impression is that it will definitely take a major chunk of the Ertiga sales.

Comparing the two, Enjoy scores both in the engine segment and interior space.
NVH levels are acceptable by Chevy standards (comparison with Beat TCDi).
Third row seats have enough leg room.

Looks wise Ertiga scores. The rear looks too Xyloish. Front view is passable. Design not in line with the Chevy school (too chinese)

LTZ is the version to buy.
sharoncr_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Enjoy CNG spotted testing in India JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 0 16th September 2013 10:59
Chevrolet Enjoy: Alloy & Tyre Upgrade chetan Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 6th August 2013 18:13
Rumour: General Motors working on sub-4 meter Chevrolet Enjoy compact MPV JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 5 8th June 2013 23:18
Chevrolet Sail (Hatchback) & Chevrolet MPV (Enjoy) : Auto Expo 2012 GTO The Indian Car Scene 343 9th May 2013 12:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks