Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th June 2013, 22:48   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

The VIN which can be seen through the front windshield is a nice touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-vin.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 22:57   #1847
BHPian

Samurai,

A small query. You can clarify better. I know that you have driven Santro extensively. I also drive a santro with wider tyres [upgraded not the stock size]. I constantly drive at 120 kmph in the salem highway and many a times i have done hard braking with just one hand on the steering. The car has stopped properly.

If Santro can do this why can't EcoSport? Is it the high GC?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Note from Support: Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th June 2013 at 13:54. Reason: Note Inline
prakasse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 22:58   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Gandhidham ES Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
IToppling happened because of hitting the median. How much is driver error here? How much can be blamed on the car?
I think in the the last few lines he doubted/implied that a part of this toppling accident could be a result of the light steering, the test driver slammed the brakes, turned the light steering, hit the median and the rest is history.

Though the steering is light, its not vague and one should get used to it. I myself own a Linea which has the segment best steering and a Vento which has a light steering, the Ecosport had the most light steering but it wasnt vague like the fluidic Verna. Light steerings dont inspire confidence but that is where most manufacturers are moving, so many friends of mine ridicule Linea's steering citing its very heavy

Seems the guy doing test drive was really on the limits and the light steering didnt help matters either, the ABS must have been working, couldnt keep the steering straight and bang.
coolboy007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:11   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the details mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
hard braking at a speed of 120...

...We looked at the highway and we could clearly see the tyre marks leading from right side lane of the road towards the left side in a soft curve and directly leading to the impact location...
This does not happen without steering input! The driver should have been careful while trying these stunts on test drive cars. Lack of experience with driving ABS enabled cars could be a reason too.
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:29   #1850
BHPian

A bit late for a review. But a very nicely done video of Ecosport from Powerdrift

grules is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:36   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
We looked at the highway and we could clearly see the tyre marks leading from right side lane of the road towards the left side in a soft curve and directly leading to the impact location. Mind you these marks looked like hard braking marks and not skid marks so I am pretty sure the ABS was working here.
How can you differentiate between hard braking marks and Skid marks? Marks will only appear if tyres are skidding. But if it is a curve and not a line, then probably ABS was working. And there was some steering input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If the ABS was working, then swerving could be blamed only on the driver. He didn't keep the steering straight while panic braking. Toppling happened because of hitting the median. How much is driver error here? How much can be blamed on the car?
I will disregard the driver's error. Is that not the sole purpose of safety. To save you when you make an error. I have heard Figo/Polo/Dzire driving into a median and not getting toppled. That does not however mean anything as the speed, type of accidents can be different. But the Point is, the stability of a car will be compromised if you increase the CG which is affected mainly by ground clearance.Typically increase the GC by 1 cm, the CG goes up by ~1cm. Increase the height of the car by 1cm with same GC, the CG will go up by ~3mm. The reason is most of the heavier parts remain at the same position.

I know People are booking the Eco-sport like crazy but it is not a master of any trade. It is not big as an SUV, It is not as stable as a Sedan, It is not as affordable as a hatch. It is a sorry state of affair that we Indians embrace Ecosport with open arms while we renounce the much more capable and complete car YETI. Sure it is priced higher but then it did not sell what it should have. It seems all that the Indian market cares is shape and looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Seems the guy doing test drive was really on the limits
I would say he was off the limits. I know people abuse test cars but unsafe driving is absolutely ridiculous. Sure it is not your car but then it is your life which is at stake too.

Last edited by oxyzen : 28th June 2013 at 23:41.
oxyzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:51   #1852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
The brochure says that the boot is 346 liters.

Cheers,
There's been a confusion between 346 and 362 litres for a while now. I edited it once already from 346 to 362.

My take is that the boot capacity changes depending on the back rest angle. 362 fully upright and 346 when angled backwards.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:07   #1853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

I will disregard the driver's error. Is that not the sole purpose of safety. To save you when you make an error. I have heard Figo/Polo/Dzire driving into a median and not getting toppled. That does not however mean anything as the speed, type of accidents can be different. But the Point is, the stability of a car will be compromised if you increase the CG which is affected mainly by ground clearance.Typically increase the GC by 1 cm, the CG goes up by ~1cm. Increase the height of the car by 1cm with same GC, the CG will go up by ~3mm. The reason is most of the heavier parts remain at the same position..
I know people who have driven lakhs of kilometers over the best and worst roads and through treacherous weather conditions. None of them have rolled their cars over, simply because they seldom erred. If they can keep their cars facing the right way up, I'm sure the others can too. Cars may come with all sorts of sensors and gizmos to keep it pointing in the right direction. But at the end of the day, if you drive like a twit, even the Gods won't be able to save you. And ABS, TCS, etc are merely driver aids. They don't whisk you off the ground and place you back on the road, in the event of an incident.

ESP is one gizmo that keeps the rubber on the ground, but only the Polo TSI comes with that today. And I'm talking about cars in the 10 lakh range.

You see, in every car, you have a steering wheel and an accelerator pedal. If you go too fast and yank the wheel under braking and godforbid, you hit the edge of a pavement or a stone, you've had it. You can't blame the car for that, can you?

Yes, higher GC does mean that the center of gravity is relatively poor, but that's no excuse for rolling a car over. As mentioned before, the EcoSport is a good handling car. It's a typical Ford trait. Let's not forget that the chassis is a derived from the Fiesta. And the Fiesta is used as a rally car on several circuits if I'm not wrong. So it's a pretty sorted chassis.

I've driven the EcoSport and let me assure you that it feels very stable despite the fact that it sits higher off the ground.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th June 2013 at 00:09.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:08   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
A bit late for a review. But a very nicely done video of Ecosport from Powerdrift

looked like the titanium + variant. Surprisingly the tweeters aren't there on the doors. So where are they located in this variant?
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:18   #1855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I will disregard the driver's error. Is that not the sole purpose of safety. To save you when you make an error.
Look at the Mercedes S class which has more safety features than you can ever imagine. Yet why do you see so many accidents in our very own forum.

Volvo has roll over stability control, which is supposed to prevent a rollover. Yet there have been cases where a Volvo has rolled over.

If a driver goes loses control and the car veers towards a divider, no amount of safety tech will prevent an accident.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:18   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Short and crisp review with nice photography too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
I think the EcoSport has coaxial speakers (tweeters mounted on the speakers itself) like it is in the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666
Surprisingly the tweeters aren't there on the doors. So where are they located in this variant?
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:53   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I know people who have driven lakhs of kilometers over the best and worst roads and through treacherous weather conditions. None of them have rolled their cars over, simply because they seldom erred. If they can keep their cars facing the right way up, I'm sure the others can too.
I am sorry, I cant agree to that. I know several people who never required an airbag to save their lives but that does not necessarily mean, it is not essential for others or even them for that matter.
And car companies should design a car keeping it in mind idiots get a driving license as well. Off course it cant prevent them from crashing but it can atleast reduce the repercussions. You have to prepared for the worst. I am not saying it is just Ecosport's Fault. It is a weakness of most SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As mentioned before, the EcoSport is a good handling car.

I've driven the EcoSport and let me assure you that it feels very stable despite the fact that it sits higher off the ground.
I am not denying it. But compared to a regular hatch like Swift/Polo I doubt if it is a better handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Look at the Mercedes S class which has more safety features than you can ever imagine. Yet why do you see so many accidents in our very own forum.
Accidents are driver's fault. Minimizing the damages (specially to you) is the vehicle's job. I am sure the occupants are all right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Volvo has roll over stability control, which is supposed to prevent a rollover. Yet there have been cases where a Volvo has rolled over.

If a driver goes loses control and the car veers towards a divider, no amount of safety tech will prevent an accident.
Mid engined cars spin, SUVs roll over. It is pure physics. And all these things increases the risk to passengers. Sure no amount of safety tech will prevent an accident but it will ensure your safety.

What I am trying to say is simple. I have not seen any posts regarding toppling of Polo/Civic/Figo/Swift/City etc etc. But there are cases with Scorpio,Captiva, Omni (Seen rolling over complete 360 in front of me) and now Ecosport. It may be a better handler among SUVs but still is it really good enough. Is it possible to be that good with such high stance.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 01:25   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not denying it. But compared to a regular hatch like Swift/Polo I doubt if it is a better handler.
In this comparison its a win some, lose some sort of result. Yes it can not handle exactly as a Swift or Polo - those are low slung hatchbacks and their dynamic capability may be far better than Ecosport but then its upto the buyers to decide whether they want to trade off a little bit of handling for the go anywhere attitude with the massive ground clearance and a whopping 550mm water wading capability. Where Ecosport can venture, owners of Polo wont even think of it, even it has a decent ground clearance but the front bumper in these cars are so low that it is almost ready to scrape in even basement parkings (own a Vento)

Not every one needs the ground clearance but such cars are a hit in Indian markets, the road conditions are deteriorating, come monsoons and our roads are flooded with water.

Ford markets this car as an "urban SUV" and with that suv tag it should be pretty clear that it can not handle like small hatchbacks, the centre of gravity has to play a role some where, we did have a toppled over Duster as well (its a pretty stable car), you can see many rolled over i20's as well, it can happen to any car.

What i want to say that despite being a car with a high 200mm ground clearance, its handling is pretty sorted. Yes, any car with a high GC like Scorpio, Ecosport, Duster, Fortuner may have a much higher chance of getting into a nervous situation than a stable hatchback or sedan but that is a given with these high gc cars, they need to be driven accordingly.

We can not have best of both the worlds, especially under 10 lakhs

Last edited by coolboy007 : 29th June 2013 at 01:32.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 01:59   #1859
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm the guy who won the Urban Discoveries contest.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-winnerannouncement_blog.jpg

I'm currently pondering over which color/variant to go for (Yes ford let me choose). I'd love to talk to anyone curious about the EcoBoost (lived with it for a few weeks).

Fun fact : I have to pay 30% of the ex-showroom value of the varient/model I choose, thanks to The Govt of India's "Gift Tax"
quickdraw is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 02:59   #1860
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Hey guys,

I'm the guy who won the Urban Discoveries contest.

I'm currently pondering over which color/variant to go for (Yes ford let me choose). I'd love to talk to anyone curious about the EcoBoost (lived with it for a few weeks).

Fun fact : I have to pay 30% of the ex-showroom value of the varient/model I choose, thanks to The Govt of India's "Gift Tax"
That's brilliant! Congratulations
I'd go with either the mars red or the kinetic blue. I'm a sucker for vibrant small hatches :P
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote