Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 09:00   #2281
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

What are the fine prints of booking ? At highlevel i know that i need to pay 50K and will loose 3K upon cancellation.

But it is not clear what is the catch if Ford decides to forever prolong my delivery(i have been told 3-4 months now) Also what will happen when ford eventually hikes the prices ? I am only booking this car for the current pricing. If this would have been 30-40K costiler, i would have happily gone for alternatives. In such cases will they still cut penalty if i cancel booking ?
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 09:09   #2282
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,816 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What are the fine prints of booking ? At highlevel i know that i need to pay 50K and will loose 3K upon cancellation.

But it is not clear what is the catch if Ford decides to forever prolong my delivery(i have been told 3-4 months now) Also what will happen when ford eventually hikes the prices ? I am only booking this car for the current pricing. If this would have been 30-40K costiler, i would have happily gone for alternatives. In such cases will they still cut penalty if i cancel booking ?
There's no price protection, you need to pay the price when your vehicle is allotted and VIN assigned (weeks/months down the line). The booking is just to get a slot in the claimed waiting list.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 09:15   #2283
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,750
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
There's no price protection, you need to pay the price when your vehicle is allotted and VIN assigned (weeks/months down the line). The booking is just to get a slot in the claimed waiting list.
I understand that. Then they have no right to claim 3000 penalty right ? I may choose to walkaway if i notice unnecessary delay or price hikes. But i choose to cancel booking because for any other reason, makes sense for them to get irritated.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 09:24   #2284
BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 764
Thanked: 398 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
I am not buying their fuel efficiency figures. Under similar conditions I was getting 10 vs 15 when revved hard and 13 vs 18 when driven sedately.
I would also expect highway mileage to be 15 vs 20 and not what they are claiming.
You would be claiming these figures according to the MFD in the car, I guess. It is known to be erroneous in every car, to the extent of 10-15%.
agambhandari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 09:32   #2285
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,816 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I understand that. Then they have no right to claim 3000 penalty right ? I may choose to walkaway if i notice unnecessary delay or price hikes. But i choose to cancel booking because for any other reason, makes sense for them to get irritated.
Ford did an unfortunate thing (in my opinion) by leaving that to the discretion of the dealer, and didn't give a company-wide directive. So you had different dealers operating differently - some allowed you to cancel without any penalty even after the prices were released while the majority went with a cancellation charge simply because its free income (in addition to the interest they make on your booking amount).

If the EcoSport is really gaining the bookings that the company claims it is, then dealers shouldn't charge a cancellation fee as it'll be easy to reallocate pretty much any variant/colour (its not like its a Fiesta 1.6S built to order).

What if you were to find an alternate buyer - rather than cancel you could just let the vehicle be registered in their name?
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 10:32   #2286
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 596
Thanked: 1,123 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I don't think any warranty would get void if you install aftermarket alloys of similar size as the OE alloys. This is the dealer's BS to make you buy the alloys from them.
I found a writing about warranties & after market parts at edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty...-warranty.html) extract is given below!!! This is in American context but, do Indian auto manufacturers (especialy Ford) have terms and conditions to circumvent these and void my warranty?



Aftermarket parts or modifications: This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

Some dealerships may say, for example, that just because you have a performance part such as a cold air intake on the car that the whole vehicle warranty is void, says Loren Wong, a car enthusiast and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true," he says.

The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

However, if the reason for a parts failure is unclear, a dealer will usually charge you to diagnose the vehicle. If the aftermarket part was not properly installed or a modification led to a component failure, it is within the dealer's right to void the warranty for that part, and you will have to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the aftermarket parts had nothing to do with the repairs in question, you will be refunded the fee for the diagnosis.

Any aftermarket performance parts on your vehicle can cause a dealer to suspect that you either drive the car hard or possibly race it. "Although they may not void warranties," Wong added, "modifications may raise a red flag when vehicles are in for service. If consumers who mod their cars do a little research, they may find certain dealerships that are a little more 'mod-friendly.'"











Anyone with knowledge please comment, so that I can Fit my alloy wheels with out voiding my warranty
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 10:33   #2287
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,249
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I understand that. Then they have no right to claim 3000 penalty right ? I may choose to walkaway if i notice unnecessary delay or price hikes. But i choose to cancel booking because for any other reason, makes sense for them to get irritated.
Raj,
Did book a ford figo but cancelled it later due to change in priorities. They did claim 2000 Rs as processing fees and refunded 18000 only. Not quite sure if it is fair or not but this is the practice with majority of them. Honda was gracious enough to offer me the full refund of Amaze booking (clause was the cancellation had to be done well before the car was allocated).

In a way this is good enough to protect the interests of genuine buyers, but yes it does raise a few eye-brows. There is no concept like "one size fits all".

Last edited by ku69rd : 6th July 2013 at 10:33. Reason: Missed the Comma
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 10:34   #2288
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
I booked the Trend Diesel with them. Not only are they slow, but like I have mentioned previously, I have had problems with the insurance/accessories etc. I somehow get the feeling I picked the wrong dealer.
I spoke to the sales manager couple of days back and he said insurance and accessories are not mandatory and nor is the 4th and 5th year warranty.
However he tried to convince me to take insurance from them telling all the plus points.

I am getting my vehicle allotted today. 10 vehicles were allotted yesterday it seems.
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 10:38   #2289
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,816 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
I am getting my vehicle allotted today. 10 vehicles were allotted yesterday it seems.
Congratulations
What variant and colour have you booked, and when did you book it?
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 10:44   #2290
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Congratulations
What variant and colour have you booked, and when did you book it?
Thanks Arun.

I have booked Titanium Diesel Diamond white. I pre-booked it on 15th June.
zteg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 10:47   #2291
BHPian
 
eq24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crazy-gaon, NCR
Posts: 377
Thanked: 304 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What are the fine prints of booking ? At highlevel i know that i need to pay 50K and will loose 3K upon cancellation.

But it is not clear what is the catch if Ford decides to forever prolong my delivery(i have been told 3-4 months now) Also what will happen when ford eventually hikes the prices ? I am only booking this car for the current pricing. If this would have been 30-40K costiler, i would have happily gone for alternatives. In such cases will they still cut penalty if i cancel booking ?
Yes and in all honesty I think it is fair to them. Think about it, when you book a car, your dealer sends a request to the factory for that particular model. Since all cars are paid stocks from the dealers point of view, he has to make sure that you are really sure about the purchase. Otherwise he is the one sitting on unclaimed inventory. Of course with the Ecosport generating the kind of demand that may not happen but it still helps to insert such clauses.

Regarding the price hike aspect, Yes that I agree to a certain extent is the company's fault but sadly there is very little that one can do about it. Companies expertly put such matters on the dealers head, whereas it should be their responsibility in the first place.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 11:19   #2292
BHPian
 
sknair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 149
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post

Thanks Arun.

I have booked Titanium Diesel Diamond white. I pre-booked it on 15th June.
I am assuming only the diesel variants are getting delivered currently. No Petrol?
sknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 13:09   #2293
BHPian
 
zteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore/Bangalore
Posts: 323
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
I am assuming only the diesel variants are getting delivered currently. No Petrol?
Just spoke to the sales manager. All 10 allocations were diesel. No petrol yet.
zteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 13:36   #2294
BHPian
 
maverick145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raipur
Posts: 136
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Guys please suggest which engine option would be appropriate for me. I plan to buy either the Titanium or Titanium (O) model. I am currently using a 2010 Petrol Hyundai i20 and find it very under powered. My requirements/use is as follows:

1. Daily run of max 40 kms.
2. I MIGHT take the vehicle out once in 3-4 months for a trip outside city limits.
3. I want a much better experience than my underpowered i20.
4. I will be running the car 80% of the time with 2-3 passengers only.

Which engine option is suitable for me? Please advise. Thanks.
maverick145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2013, 13:52   #2295
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Guys please suggest which engine option would be appropriate for me. I plan to buy either the Titanium or Titanium (O) model. I am currently using a 2010 Petrol Hyundai i20 and find it very under powered. My requirements/use is as follows:

1. Daily run of max 40 kms.
2. I MIGHT take the vehicle out once in 3-4 months for a trip outside city limits.
3. I want a much better experience than my underpowered i20.
4. I will be running the car 80% of the time with 2-3 passengers only.

Which engine option is suitable for me? Please advise. Thanks.
For your kms a petrol or a diesel would be evenly matched if the diesel is more expensive by 1L (as with the EcoSport).

If you want an AT then 1.5P is the only option.
The Ecoboost is likely to be more satisfying to drive then the i20 Petrol. But the diesel may not really offer that satisfaction.

The new Polo TSI would also be good alternative though the EcoSport is likely to be a different and more entertaining option.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks