Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 15th July 2013, 13:47   #2626
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I just received this email from Wasan Ford, Marine lines, where I have booked a Petrol automatic on the 26th of June (day of launch).

I sent them an email on the 11th of July asking for an update on the status of my booking since there was no information from them so far.

Quote:
Respected Sir,

We appreciate your excitement regarding Ford EcoSport, we had checked your booking status, it is very true that several deliveries are done by some of dealers and even we also did the deliveries of Ford EcoSport but all of them was Diesel cars. None of the dealers has given any Petrol deliveries in whole Mumbai region.

we are please to inform you that the first lot of the petrol cars will be dispatch in end of the August month of 2013. in that first lot we are getting only 4 to 5 cars in petrol AT. as the information as we have your priority no. is 76 and in the list of Petrol AT your No. is 13th as per marine lines data.

further you will get the several information regarding your vehicle. till now we even cant say you the approximate timing. we already has given you the two and a half month to three months time as delivery period. might some circumstances you can get your car earliest then the given time.till that please bare with us.

Thanks & Regards

The Manager
Wasan Ford
(Marine lines)
I'm not sure what to make of this since I don't know how often they receive a lot of cars. Their 2.5 - 3 month guesstimate would meant that they receive another 10 petrol automatics within 2 weeks of this first lot!

I plan on sitting on my booking for a while longer since the other options I was considering (City AT, Vento AT) don't really excite me as much.

However, if the delivery period does turn out to be as long as 9 - 12 months as some dealerships down south claim, I will have to reconsider.

Cheers,
Suhail

Last edited by swale84 : 15th July 2013 at 14:05.
swale84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 13:55   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Some info on the current status (Courtesy - Friend who works at Ford factory)

1) 200 Ecosports made daily which also includes exports
2) 24k Bookings received so far
3) Approx 7000 Ecosports made till date.
4) Increase in production will happen slowly since the suppliers are not able to meet this demand.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 14:16   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

4) Increase in production will happen slowly since the suppliers are not able to meet this demand.
Thanks, I thought this might be the case, especially point No 4. The initial stock which is due for deliveries were built up over 2-3 months time. I feel by September production should stablize and the demands at least for the 1.5 D models should be met.

Last edited by sansvk : 15th July 2013 at 14:18. Reason: Addition
sansvk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 14:56   #2629
Team-BHP Support

Another point to look at:

Whats the split between local consumption and export? That may also give an insight on long waiting periods.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 15:00   #2630
BHPian

Cauvery Ford from Bangalore states that the waiting for Titanium 1.5 P is 12 months , the Ambiente Diesel is 3~4 months. Metro Ford on the other hands has 275 days for the 1.5 P Titanium. A case of the Diesels being more in supply than the petrols?
rlvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 15:10   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Another point to look at:

Whats the split between local consumption and export? That may also give an insight on long waiting periods.
When the production started, the ratio stood like this - 60:40 ratio (local:export). But since the demand for the local market increased, the ratio might be 70:30. This is as per the inside source. Dont know whether this is the current trend.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 15:21   #2632
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
When the production started, the ratio stood like this - 60:40 ratio (local:export). But since the demand for the local market increased, the ratio might be 70:30. This is as per the inside source. Dont know whether this is the current trend.
The 60:40 split previously seems bang on, since just over 4000 ecosports of the 7000 made were shipped to dealers last month according to the sales analysis thread. Assuming naveen.raju's source is right, that means of the 6000 (assuming 30 working days) ecosports being produced every month, 4200 will find their way to dealer lots in India.

So someone booking now would theoretically have to wait 6 months for Ford to clear their 24000 bookings before they get a vehicle.

Of course my rudimentary analysis ignores variants and the rumours that petrol production is a very low priority for Ford right now.
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 15:38   #2633
BHPian

Any body has any links or ownership reports of the 1.5 Petrol model? How is the drive ability?
maverick145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 17:05   #2634
BHPian

My Ecoboost ownership report is out!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ond-white.html
saisrujan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 17:15   #2635
BHPian

Quote:

Just 7000 against a demand of 24k?
Boy, that's disheartening. More so after all the shop talk of Ford claiming that the delay in launch was to streamline heavy localisation and to meet the demand for the product.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 18:15   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Just 7000 against a demand of 24k?
Boy, that's disheartening. More so after all the shop talk of Ford claiming that the delay in launch was to streamline heavy localisation and to meet the demand for the product.
Slightly OT, but is the reason export cars are manufactured here the cheap labour that India has? Like software outsourcing? Does the government ever benefit directly from the manufacture of these cars because they do not pay any road taxes obviously?
sup? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 18:25   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this since I don't know how often they receive a lot of cars. Their 2.5 - 3 month guesstimate would meant that they receive another 10 petrol automatics within 2 weeks of this first lot!

I plan on sitting on my booking for a while longer since the other options I was considering (City AT, Vento AT) don't really excite me as much.

However, if the delivery period does turn out to be as long as 9 - 12 months as some dealerships down south claim, I will have to reconsider.

Cheers,
Suhail
this is pretty much consistent with other dealers explanation. each dealer in metro is getting 4 petrol AT per lot as of now. They have no control over color allocation, meaning depends on ford to allocate the colors. even though you may be in the next lot (Sept - Nov), you may or may not get the allocation (depending on what color was allocated to the dealer). so the wait could very easily stretch to 7 or 8 months even though I pre-booked it .
sknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 19:15   #2638
BHPian

More issues with the Ford Ecosport, as if a few topples were not enough to catch the news. Ford is not exactly upfront on what this faulty component (glow plug) would have caused, but my guess is it might probably lead to anything from cold starting problems to a electrical fault or maybe even a fire hazard in extreme cases.This is not quite positive news for a vehicle that has got everyone so excited about.

I recently got to see the vehicle ON ROAD for the first time in traffic. IMO it had as much road presence a.k.a. size as a ritz ahead of it which was frankly quite disappointing.
Attached Images

gitartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 21:27   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Woah! They seem to have rear ended the car. Why do dealerships manhandle cars so much?
They hadn't rear ended it. I checked.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 22:21   #2640
BHPian

Was going through VW Taigun concept!
http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....aigun-concept/

Now thats quite a looker!! And looks very similar to Ecosport in terms of Size/Space etc.
I know its going to take quite a lot of time by which time Ford would have already rolled couple of Limited edition Ecosports.

BTW no sign of my Mars Red Titanium(o) yet .
The dealers seem to be quoting high waiting period just to be on the safer side. They just don't want to commit for 1 month and deliver after 2 months. Instead say 6 months and deliver in 2-3 months time which should bring smile on many prospective buyers.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote