Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 29th May 2013, 09:51   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
The above statement is only true given all other factors remain constant, but there are many other factos which vary from car to car. Factors like, the wheel base, the CG, the suspension setup etc. Hence the above statements cannot be taken in isolation. If it were true, then Tata Nano, M800 and Alto should have handled better than Puntos and the Fiestas.
Absolutely. Someone is taking some sense finally. Someone asked how is weight related to handling. And to my response people started comparing handling of different cars on the basis of weight. Ridiculous! Anyway, my point was putting any car on a diet (keeping other factors same including weight distribution) will improve handling.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:05   #302
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review viddy! Two thumbs up like the movie critics say
Can't wait to test drive the ecosport myself. Interesting to see how Ford prices it as well... could make or break the car like it did (break) the Fiesta.

How about a more detailed ecosport vs duster shoot-out? Am sure many (myself included) would love to read that!
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:27   #303
BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...est-drive.aspx

Autocar now has the Ecosport diesel review up on their site.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:38   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

Thought of sharing the same and its already here .Just went through that. They seem impressed with diesel. Also what seems confusing is their update on how entertaining to drive Ecosport is. Now that is not possible without a good steering response.

13.72 for 0-100KM/H and 168KM/H top speed is pretty decent figures for Ecosport.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:51   #305
BANNED

Awesome review. I don't think any magazine or site can get this detailed.

I'm finding it weird that ecosport is compared with all sorts of cars which isn't fair. There is no point in finding mistakes for the sake of finding one. This review is well balanced and gives comprehensive view.

Indian market finally has a true urban uv, which is compact to take on traffic, rugged enough to take on urban infrastructure during rains, fuel efficient variants, futuristic design, loads of safety features. To me, it's a complete vehicle for daily and weekend need of an urban customer. Most urbans are nuclear and seating 4 comfortably is good enough. Large families or true offroaders have several other options.
Kudos to ford for getting ecosport to our shore.
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 10:54   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

The reviewer mentions that"
"the stiff suspension setup lends it a certain agility and itís got a well-weighted steering which, aided to its good body control, makes it really entertaining to drive on the twisty stuff."

@Vid: Is it possible that the diesel and the Ecoboost you drove have different tuning/ calibration for the EPS? Does it make sense to do so? I will be on cloud nine if the steering is as described above instead of the Hyundai-esque nightmare!
MotoNanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:07   #307
BHPian

All the Duster trolls in this thread can take a rest.

"What the EcoSport is, then, is a genuine rival to Renaultís segment-defining compact SUV. It does everything as well as the Duster, but in a more sophisticated, up-to-date and desirable manner. Renault has set the benchmark quite high, but in the EcoSport, Ford has a genuine shot at crippling the Dusterís sales. And thatís without factoring in the price advantage the Ford is likely to have when it is launched this June. "

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...t-drive.aspx/3
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:08   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post

The reviewer mentions that"
"the stiff suspension setup lends it a certain agility and it’s got a well-weighted steering which, aided to its good body control, makes it really entertaining to drive on the twisty stuff."

@Vid: Is it possible that the diesel and the Ecoboost you drove have different tuning/ calibration for the EPS? Does it make sense to do so? I will be on cloud nine if the steering is as described above instead of the Hyundai-esque nightmare!
I would think that there would be some difference in the setup of the steering thanks to the greater weight of the diesel engine. Most cars with different engine options have a similar difference.
However, please also check the EcoBoost review from ACI, if the review mentions a similar thing, it may be that their standards are different from Vid's standards.

Last edited by nipcarlover : 29th May 2013 at 11:10.
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:35   #309
BHPian

Thanks Vidyut and GTO for super review. Now I wish to know which one should I choose from the petrol engine , 1.5 L or the Ecoboost and why , all ecosport fans please contribute

Regards
Amol
amolathalye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:55   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Thanks Vidyut and GTO for super review. Now I wish to know which one should I choose from the petrol engine , 1.5 L or the Ecoboost and why , all ecosport fans please contribute

Regards
Amol
Just my opinion.
If your running is less than 500KM-700KM/month and mostly in city and prefernece is more of sedate/relaxed driving it is 1.5L petrol. You get to choose AT as well.

If your running in 700KM-1200KM/month which includes good amount of highway rides and preference is more of performance oriented involving high revs,quick shifts it is 1.0L Ecoboost.

And If your running is above 1250KM /month and preference is a allrounder then it is 1.5L Diesel.

And yes you will have to consider the price factor as well.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:49   #311
BHPian

While there are a lot of comparisons to Duster most of us are expecting Ex-Showroom price of the Diesel to be priced at around 7-8 lakhs.
Well between 7-8 lakhs we have a apt car(Pricewise) to compare aka "Quanto".

Feature wise I found the Ecosport Trend variant and Quanto C6 a lot similar. Quanto C6 Ex-showroom price is about 7.30 lakhs on an average. Leaving apart the space offered, Ecosport beats Quanto in all other departments hands down.(Looks, handling, FE, Interiors etc). We should be willing to pay anywhere near a lakh extra for all these pluses.
So a realistic price for the base diesel is 8+ and I think such the price is pretty well justified.
sunilg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:54   #312
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : The topic of kerb weight and its effect on handling can continue at this link (Handling - Factors that influence it!). Please avoid taking this thread off-topic.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 14:31   #313
Senior - BHPian

EcoSport bookings have commenced.

Source: AutocarIndia
Ford dealerships have started taking bookings for the upcoming EcoSport. The booking amount for the same is Rs 50,000, with deliveries being made by end June or early July.

While it has not been confirmed yet, Ford is expected to launch the EcoSport by mid June.

When it is launched here, it will be available in four trims Ė Ambiente, Trend, Titanium and Titanium Optional Ė and three engine options. These include a 1.5-litre diesel, 1.5-litre petrol and Fordís much lauded 1.0-litre turbocharged and direct injection EcoBoost engine that puts out 123bhp.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 14:48   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
EcoSport bookings have commenced.

Source: AutocarIndia
Ford dealerships have started taking bookings for the upcoming EcoSport. The booking amount for the same is Rs 50,000, with deliveries being made by end June or early July.

While it has not been confirmed yet, Ford is expected to launch the EcoSport by mid June.

When it is launched here, it will be available in four trims Ė Ambiente, Trend, Titanium and Titanium Optional Ė and three engine options. These include a 1.5-litre diesel, 1.5-litre petrol and Fordís much lauded 1.0-litre turbocharged and direct injection EcoBoost engine that puts out 123bhp.
I doubt these are official bookings. The dealers might have just started unofficial bookings and collecting money on their own.

For their launch of the year, Ford will have a huge marketing push I'm sure, they day they announce the variants, price and bookings open.
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 14:52   #315
BHPian

Great review! Covered up several details on the vehicle.

Penned down few points (please excuse if I missed any point while reading the review)
1. Any idea on level of feedback of the electric power steering?
2. Mileage figure with AC ON in city with bumper to bumper traffic for petrol & diesel? (Too early to ask this query: with bad driving roads OR worst figure of mileage)
3. How did the vehicle perform at up-hill ghat sections of GOA?
4. While overtaking on NH-17, was there any necessity to change gears?
5. Level of NVH when compared to its competitors for Eco-Boost?
6. How responsive is the OEM Audio Head Unit? Phone dialing lag time? Phone pick up time?

A highlight on the price differences on EcoSport Petrol/Diesel selection will greatly help.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote