Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 23:48   #3196
BHPian
 
xuv2390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 117
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I have a question for all the ecosport owners, Can anyone of you hear a clearly audible humming sound from the engine when you release the accelerator pedal while changing gears? This is audible even when you release the accelerator in order to slow down the car? Is this humming noise common? or is it only in my car? Any help would be appreciated!
xuv2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 00:29   #3197
BHPian
 
nitish.h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore.
Posts: 30
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykc78 View Post
SA from Metro ford called me on Friday and said my Ecosport 1.0 diamond white is in transit and would be getting the delivery anytime this week.

Was pleasant surprised with service I got from Metro Ford as they had told me it would take 3-4 months.

Looking forward for the delivery and it is going to be an exciting week

jaykc78,

Good to hear that mate. Congratulations for the same.
Can you give us a little info about when you had booked the vehicle and what was your overall and ecoboost specific priority/booking numbers?
The info would help other members who have booked, by denoting an approximate delivery time.

Thanks.
nitish.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 00:34   #3198
BHPian
 
saisrujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 95
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
Power Delivery: I am coming from a petrol hatch, but somehow the much talked about surge after 1.8k RPM did not feel like much of a surge at all. If you want to reach even speeds of 70-80 in 4th gear, you have to hold the foot down for quite a while the RPM hits 2k at which point the speedometer inches to 80. I am not sure of how it will behave beyond this RPM since I am making sure I do not rev over 2k during the run-in period.
Congratulations and welcome to the club. I suggest you start an initial ownership thread. We can follow your updates on what you found with your car.

There is no power surge reported on the TDCi - the diesel engine is quite linear. The power surge at 1800 rpm is observed on the 1.0 ecoboost engine.

Also, I'm worried to read what you reported about the lack of grip. Haven't tried such a terrain yet, but I thought the Ecosport should handle such roads at least as good as any other front-wheel-drive vehicle.

Last edited by saisrujan : 5th August 2013 at 00:36. Reason: Added clarification.
saisrujan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 00:47   #3199
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club. I suggest you start an initial ownership thread. We can follow your updates on what you found with your car.

There is no power surge reported on the TDCi - the diesel engine is quite linear. The power surge at 1800 rpm is observed on the 1.0 ecoboost engine.

Also, I'm worried to read what you reported about the lack of grip. Haven't tried such a terrain yet, but I thought the Ecosport should handle such roads at least as good as any other front-wheel-drive vehicle.
I will surely start the initial ownership thread. Just need a little more time to check a few more things like mileage so far and rear passenger experience.

Regarding the power surge, Ya I went back and read the official review again and realize I confused the review on the variants. But still, I think for a 1.5 liter engine, the power delivery could have been much better.

The handling on the rocky terrain surprised me as well. May be the 16'' alloys on the top end do better! Waiting for updates from other people on their experience in such terrain!
sup? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 01:31   #3200
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 596
Thanked: 1,123 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
I will surely start the initial ownership thread. Just need a little more time to check a few more things like mileage so far and rear passenger experience.

The handling on the rocky terrain surprised me as well. May be the 16'' alloys on the top end do better! Waiting for updates from other people on their experience in such terrain!

Hey congrats ! Welcome to the club.
Look forward to your reports.

The 16 inchers does do a lot of justice to the vehicle believe me.
Upgraded my Ambiente to the 16ers with OEM alloys, boy it gives grip and better terrain response.


You can peek my initial report n few pics here if u interested :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ur-garage.html

Last edited by johannskaria : 5th August 2013 at 01:33.
johannskaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 02:14   #3201
BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 872
Thanked: 1,118 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post

4. Not even mild off roading.Understandably the path to the bank is quite rocky and just a wee bit wet. The tyres (Stock Goodyears) really struggled to get a grip on the way up and they just screeched without moving forward on the way up from the bank. I saw that the same road was taken with ease by even Altos and Maruti 800s. I had to maneuver the vehicle very carefully back to the road. Not very confidence inspiring I would say.
Hey Sup,
Dont worry the culprit is the stock good years, absolutely nothing to do with the cars capabilities.MRFs are even worse, my brother got them on his ecosport.

I have faced a similar situation on my ecosport T (O) with stock goodyears(16") on the way to a friends factory and was shocked,it was as if I was trecking with my flip flops on. Not very sure but I think it is something to do with the silica content of the tyres.

Did a lot of research and changed the tires to Yokohama DB series and tested it on the same terrian.I was pretty impressed with the resultant grip, you can read more about yokohama upgrade in my ownership thread(page 1)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...red-india.html




Quote:
Originally Posted by xuv2390 View Post
I have a question for all the ecosport owners, Can anyone of you hear a clearly audible humming sound from the engine when you release the accelerator pedal while changing gears? This is audible even when you release the accelerator in order to slow down the car? Is this humming noise common? or is it only in my car? Any help would be appreciated!
Are you talking about the decelerating hum or the engine clatter? Please elaborate.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
I need a small piece of advice
I would like to know how to prevent the fading of the plastic cladding all around the vehicle.
I am apprehensive that this plastic portion can fade/get discolored in the long run.I tried using formula 1 protectant. It looks good now.Is there any thing else which is better
Hey,
There is a product from WURTH called plastic care ,its wax like and has good water beading property.
Offers protection from UV rays, fading,prevents adhesion of dust, even restores faded plastic.
You can see the picture on my thread on page 1.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...red-india.html

Last edited by ecosport rules : 5th August 2013 at 02:16. Reason: addition of content
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 07:10   #3202
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 952
Thanked: 420 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
I need a small piece of advice
I would like to know how to prevent the fading of the plastic cladding all around the vehicle.
I am apprehensive that this plastic portion can fade/get discolored in the long run.I tried using formula 1 protectant. It looks good now.Is there any thing else which is better
Opt for interior cleaning as a part of your service if your Ford service center can be trusted. Else once in 6 months, opt for the 3M interior cleaning package that includes waxing/polishing or what ever they do to the plastics.

My Getz is 7 years old and the interiors are bright and shiny cause i stuck with this routine all through the 7yrs. Thankfully, the Kothari Hyundai A.S.S. does a good job (though bloody expensive) with the interior maintenance. I've no 3M films on my front windshield by the way and i don't think they are necessary to keep the plastics in good shape.
The Ecosport plastics though are a notch below the Getz plastics so maybe its worth getting that film installed on the front windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
It has been 6 days of the Ecosport Trend Diesel and I have done nearly 600 KMs with about 2/3rds on the highways and 1/3rd in the city. And here are my observations.

4. Not even mild off-roading: I went on a trip to the Manchinbele dam about 70kms from Bangalore. The dam is quite small and you can take the vehicles to the edge of the bank almost. Understandably the path to the bank is quite rocky and just a wee bit wet. The tyres (Stock Goodyears) really struggled to get a grip on the way up and they just screeched without moving forward on the way up from the bank. I saw that the same road was taken with ease by even Altos and Maruti 800s. I had to maneuver the vehicle very carefully back to the road. Not very confidence inspiring I would say.
Do you have a picture of the terrain you drove on to get to the banks of the dam?

A few questions/points on the grip part based on my experience of riding motorcycles extensively.

1. Tires need to break in well before they really work at their optimal level.
2. Tires need to get warm and soft for them to work at their optimal level.
3. Tires need to be built to some extent for all-terrain to basically work good on uneven or rocky surfaces. Stock tires are often built to last a certain number of kilometers (30-40-50000 kms) and longevity is being balanced with other aspects like grip, FE etc.

So now:
1. Is 600kms enough to get the Condition (1) satisfied? It would be good to know since i'm not sure.
2. Did you drive to the place and straight away tried going down the rocky road or did you park your car for some time and then take it down? If later, maybe your tires weren't warm enough to get sufficient grip.
3. Do some reading up on the stock Goodyears to find out what sort of tires they are. I doubt they are meant for any kind of off-roading where the tires do not have a sufficient contact patch with the ground. Also, they are not soft compounds where the grip is primary variable in the equation. They have a balance of grip vs. long life on patchy urban roads (else you will spend on new set of tires every 15k kms).
4. Was your car fully loaded driving on that patch? Or was it just you? Weight to some degree will aid/hinder grip at least on a flat to moderately inclined surface.

My Comet GT250 had Shinko radials built to last with lousy grip, especially in the wet. But in every single ride whether in sun or rain, the tires would work so much better and give so much confidence after about 50kms of non-stop riding. In fact they got brilliant on hot days over long 1000km rides!!!

I don't think its any different for any set of tires we get on our cars under 15lacs (not fancy ones like BMW, Audi or Mercs). So i would hold on for a few thousand kilometers before making any judgement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry mods : Didn't opt for multi-quote and now don't seem to be able to get it done. Can you merge the posts for me please?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th August 2013 at 10:14. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please avoid posting likebt
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 08:27   #3203
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Do you have a picture of the terrain you drove on to get to the banks of the dam?

A few questions/points on the grip part based on my experience of riding motorcycles extensively.

1. Tires need to break in well before they really work at their optimal level.
2. Tires need to get warm and soft for them to work at their optimal level.
3. Tires need to be built to some extent for all-terrain to basically work good on uneven or rocky surfaces. Stock tires are often built to last a certain number of kilometers (30-40-50000 kms) and longevity is being balanced with other aspects like grip, FE etc.

So now:
1. Is 600kms enough to get the Condition (1) satisfied? It would be good to know since i'm not sure.
2. Did you drive to the place and straight away tried going down the rocky road or did you park your car for some time and then take it down? If later, maybe your tires weren't warm enough to get sufficient grip.
3. Do some reading up on the stock Goodyears to find out what sort of tires they are. I doubt they are meant for any kind of off-roading where the tires do not have a sufficient contact patch with the ground. Also, they are not soft compounds where the grip is primary variable in the equation. They have a balance of grip vs. long life on patchy urban roads (else you will spend on new set of tires every 15k kms).
4. Was your car fully loaded driving on that patch? Or was it just you? Weight to some degree will aid/hinder grip at least on a flat to moderately inclined surface.
If you see the pic in my post, the background is the slope back up to the road. But what I can surely tell you is that the Terrain was not bad enough to warrant such a response from the tires. Like I mentioned, Altos and really old 800s were doing it easily enough.

There was no problem on the way down to the bank. We had driven 75 kms to the Dam and took a break of only 30 mins for some pics. And the day was quite warm in Bangalore. So, I do not think the tires cooling down should have been an issue. It was on the way up after the break that I lost grip at certain points.

There were 5 of us in the vehicle, all well built sports persons .

May be 600 kms is not enough for the tires to work optimally. But terrain wise, I do not think this is the kind of terrain you would call off-roading. It wasnt that much worse than some of the main roads in Bangalore

Let me do some reading up on the stock goodyears.

I am also planning a few trips to hill stations in this month and the next. With the monsoons and all, it should give me a good idea of what to expect from the tires on all kinds of terrain.
sup? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 09:48   #3204
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,171
Thanked: 1,670 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
....
If you want to reach even speeds of 70-80 in 4th gear, you have to hold the foot down for quite a while the RPM hits 2k at which point the speedometer inches to 80. I am not sure of how it will behave beyond this RPM since I am making sure I do not rev over 2k during the run-in period.
....
Congrats sup?
It looks great in its 'Official' color!

While I look forward to your ownership log and experiences from the hills, just want to ask a quick question. Seeing you mention the RPMs, Trend comes with a tacho, right? Read the other logs of Ambiente and it seems its missing there!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:03   #3205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 85
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
..

Positives:
1. Seating: Position is brilliant. The view is truly commanding.After 6 days of the Ecosport, I wanted to see how much I have got used to the seating position and took out my Wagon R (which I am holding on to till next week) for a spin and the feeling was akin to one of being locked up in an underground cellar.

.
From the ground what is the height to top of the seat of wagon R vs ecosport.
Srinivas C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:14   #3206
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congrats sup?
It looks great in its 'Official' color!

While I look forward to your ownership log and experiences from the hills, just want to ask a quick question. Seeing you mention the RPMs, Trend comes with a tacho, right? Read the other logs of Ambiente and it seems its missing there!
Thanks @Dry Ice. I think so too. I was wavering between black and this and went with this finally because while black gives a classy look to any car, I felt the funky design of the Ecosport is brought out by this colour alone.

Coming to your question, yes, the Trend does come with a Tacho. How would I keep the revs to below 2k otherwise?
sup? is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:26   #3207
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,171
Thanked: 1,670 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
...
Coming to your question, yes, the Trend does come with a Tacho. How would I keep the revs to below 2k otherwise?
Well you never know, with the kind of car crazy people here, there is no dearth of ideas! An OBD-II BT adapter + app can get the rpm on your phone! I know, I know, twisted way of doing things but hey, whatever works!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 10:55   #3208
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
From the ground what is the height to top of the seat of wagon R vs ecosport.
I am not sure of the measurement, but I can tell you there is a significant difference. You will surely notice it.

I also have a question for experienced diesel drivers:

I find the low end torque in 2nd gear great for pottering about in city traffic! I just ride the clutch a little and vehicle moves effortlessly without having to use my right foot.

Now, I know clutch riding is not good for the vehicle. But using the low-end torque makes for a great city driving experience. Does this have any negative effects on fuel efficiency or the longevity of the clutch? Thanks in advance.
sup? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 12:26   #3209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitish.h View Post
jaykc78,

Good to hear that mate. Congratulations for the same.
Can you give us a little info about when you had booked the vehicle and what was your overall and ecoboost specific priority/booking numbers?
The info would help other members who have booked, by denoting an approximate delivery time.

Thanks.
I had booked(pre launch) on June 15th. I do not have an overall priority number but Ecoboost specific was somewhere in between 10-15(was told by the SA).
jaykc78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 12:40   #3210
BHPian
 
DeKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 392
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup? View Post
I also have a question for experienced diesel drivers:

I find the low end torque in 2nd gear great for pottering about in city traffic! I just ride the clutch a little and vehicle moves effortlessly without having to use my right foot.

Now, I know clutch riding is not good for the vehicle. But using the low-end torque makes for a great city driving experience. Does this have any negative effects on fuel efficiency or the longevity of the clutch? Thanks in advance.
You can drive the vehicle using the low-end torque. The vehicle is meant to be driven that way.
Just make sure that you do not press the accelerator as well as the clutch at the same time for a prolonged period of time, which will harm the vehicle.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks