Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 18:06   #5131
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 527
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Indeed! Have been waiting for the same since Aug (last week) when it just closed since I am only interested in the 1.5 AT
But I am in no hurry for a car. Infact day by day my enthusiasm for the Ecosport just lessens by constantly following this thread & seeing various issues. Lets see what finally happens in Jan
What issues ? I dont remember seeing any issues reported by users here
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 18:09   #5132
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 596
Thanked: 1,124 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Indeed! Have been waiting for the same since Aug (last week) when it just closed since I am only interested in the 1.5 AT
But I am in no hurry for a car. Infact day by day my enthusiasm for the Ecosport just lessens by constantly following this thread & seeing various issues. Lets see what finally happens in Jan
I think you shouldn't be discouraged!
Its worth every day.
No car is without issues. It is a machine after all!
As EcoSport is a more popular car it is subjected to more scrutiny in a faster time period along the length and breadth of our country by diversified owners.

As an owner myself from August,I haven't faced any of the 'so said' various issues stated in the thread!
All the issues stated are isolated and specific not following any trend (as to quality issues) !
The product is well thought out, modern & slow ageing design,of great quality and the ownership experience has been a pleasant surprise
So I would endorse the vehicle to the potential customers of a Compact Crossover with out a second thought and I don't think they will be disappointed!

Last edited by johannskaria : 28th October 2013 at 18:19.
johannskaria is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 18:18   #5133
BHPian
 
scarlet.fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Delhi/Gurgaon
Posts: 206
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Yea man I was looking to book the Trend petrol 1.5 variant.
Lets see if nothing happens by mid JAN I would shift to something else which is available in the market then.
I am surprised Ford did not take into account the demand for the car considering the amount of interest this car generated.
scarlet.fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 18:33   #5134
BHPian
 
anks_at's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
What issues ? I dont remember seeing any issues reported by users here
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I think you shouldn't be discouraged!
Its worth every day.
No car is without issues. It is a machine after all!
As EcoSport is a more popular car it is subjected to more scrutiny in a faster time period along the length and breadth of our country by diversified owners.

As an owner myself from August,I haven't faced any of the 'so said' various issues stated in the thread!
All the issues stated are isolated and specific not following any trend (as to quality issues) !
The product is well thought out, modern & slow ageing design,of great quality and the ownership experience has been a pleasant surprise
So I would endorse the vehicle to the potential customers of a Compact Crossover with out a second thought and I don't think they will be disappointed!
Issues(didnt mean only technical issues with the car): dealer issues (rude, not bothered, cheating/lying-out of turn allotments etc. Just ruins the Ford brand for me. A company should be bothered to keep its dealers in control to a reasonable extent), inept Ford service (they havent been able to diagnose some issues reported by users, such as the check engine light by some here). Water wading claim vs reality. Removal of features, Price increases without protection for existing bookings (another rumored in Jan) shows Ford is least bothered about you & just acting greedy even when Renault & Tata have given a precedent of protecting their customers. Daylight robbery prices for official accessories! The sync issues (& check engine light if related). These are just a few quick examples that come to my mind. Obviously they will happen with only a few cars but its enough to raise warning flags. Tell me how many users will actually take their car through something like 500mm water to actually check whether the car delivers on its promise or not. So i guess we will hear about it very rarely only. I also understand, that sometimes things happen because of user error too.
I am still keeping an open mind & hopeful Ford improves in all these areas over the coming months when I actually have to make a decision to go ahead or not. If the car was already available, I would be already having it, but this wait has been a blessing in disguise in a way because it gives me more time to observe. Also it gives me more time to observe the soon to come competition in the likes of Honda, Maruti & Hyundai (which I have used before & trust more than Ford in being better in service & consistency).
All said & done, till now, I still want it if the car is available today & quite excited by it (am still a fan of the Ecosport but dont want to be blinded by my love for it). Future, we will see.

Last edited by anks_at : 28th October 2013 at 18:53.
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 18:52   #5135
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Guys, read the following post on another site TAI. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...eview-328.html

Issue 1: Toppling incident. Could well probably be driver error
Issue 2: Water wading capabilities extremely suspect. Kolkata user has reported that car got stuck in barely 250-300 mm of water. All other smaller cars were able to go through including nano, alto etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayBuddha View Post
Just read this up...quite scary. Maybe it is time for all the owners to do an objective survey and come up with an revised unbiased review. ??
1. Toppling incident - been discussed to death. Yes, the CG is higher, and you can feel body roll. Drive accordingly.
2. I've been through water that other hatch backs went through, and we were all happy. I'd be shocked if the EcoSport bogged down where an Alto went through, unless it was a case of driver error (e.g. taking the foot off the throttle leading to the engine stalling).
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 19:29   #5136
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 596
Thanked: 1,124 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
Issues(didnt mean only technical issues with the car): dealer issues (rude, not bothered, cheating/lying-out of turn allotments etc. Just ruins the Ford brand for me. A company should be bothered to keep its dealers in control to a reasonable extent), inept Ford service (they havent been able to diagnose some issues reported by users, such as the check engine light by some here). Water wading claim vs reality. Removal of features, Price increases without protection for existing bookings (another rumored in Jan) shows Ford is least bothered about you & just acting greedy even when Renault & Tata have given a precedent of protecting their customers. Daylight robbery prices for official accessories! The sync issues (& check engine light if related). These are just a few quick examples that come to my mind. Obviously they will happen with only a few cars but its enough to raise warning flags. Tell me how many users will actually take their car through something like 500mm water to actually check whether the car delivers on its promise or not. So i guess we will hear about it very rarely only. I also understand, that sometimes things happen because of user error too.
I am still keeping an open mind & hopeful Ford improves in all these areas over the coming months when I actually have to make a decision to go ahead or not. If the car was already available, I would be already having it, but this wait has been a blessing in disguise in a way because it gives me more time to observe. Also it gives me more time to observe the soon to come competition in the likes of Honda, Maruti & Hyundai (which I have used before & trust more than Ford).
All said & done, till now, I still want it if the car is available today. Future, we will see.

The points you've made is quite interesting, noted and discussed in length.

let me tell you something.
I used own a 09' Ritz and drive 09' City (the new model) more frequently among other family owned vehicles !
And my family runs a small Maruti Suzuki dealership.

both of the above mentioned cars are my favorites, still to date!
Infact in the Ritz I changed my tires at 74k kms and the service costs was minimalistic!
Their reliability, drivability, servicing (especially Ritz ) etc etc...

after running about 87k Kms and the selling Red guy off, I infact finalised on my 2nd Ritz!
Even down to the Color Grey! Told my uncle, he said it could be picked up on the weekend !

Then I went for a test drive of EcoSport with my dad, in 10 mins we transferred the booking amount to the Ford dealership for a BLACK and let me tell you i haven't regretted that decision till date. Even my uncle said it was a great choice! And it is indeed a great Crossover!
I'm an avid Honda and Suzuki lover (love driving the Ertiga when all we cousins go out), but the 3 month old EcoSport made me into a Ford lover too .


All the above mentioned problems are faced by all manufacturers including the Suzuki's when they launch new cars!
I have seen our dealership counterparts resorting to all the above said malpractices and we facing unique unresolvable problems with our customer cars when Swift was launched! It is not a strange , new and unique phenomena. But now all is well.
It will take some time for Ford to catch up and put their house in order!
Coz they never expected the product to be such an unprecedented success.

Just remember one thing after all its just a machine, faults are bound to happen!
And they will be resolved too.
Atleast its not as serious as unintended acceleration of Toyota's and false mileages of Hyundai's !
If you are a person of wait and watch category, I suggest you stick to that!
I'm more of a adventurous kind ! So I like taking risk!
afterall its better to take risk and be adventurous at 22 than at 42!
And I'm pretty sure i would say my EcoSport risk has been paid off well when i sell it off in '16!

Last edited by johannskaria : 28th October 2013 at 19:41.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 19:43   #5137
BHPian
 
anks_at's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
If you are a person of wait and watch category, I suggest you stick to that!
I'm more of a adventurous kind ! So I like taking risk!
afterall its better to take risk and be adventurous at 22 than at 42!
I am forced to wait presently (since the variant i want is not available). Since I am waiting, I prefer to watch rather than not watch at all

I do understand Ford has been swamped by the demand & everything. I have seen much better & transparent handling of things (bookings) by Tata when they were initially swamped for the Nano (& I took a risk then). So it isnt that every company is the same & has the same flaps all the time.

The competition is arriving soon anyways & will automatically decide overall long term worth in a year or so more.

So even I want to see an indication of Ford catching up now & taking control of the whole situation(s) so that I am a confident buyer in a few months & that they too prosper against worthwhile competition. The product is great. The company NOT as much (till now. Its my first experience looking at Ford) & I am getting disheartened by the company more than the minor technical issues with the product (which will eventually be sorted out if they exist at all). Again, I hope they do catch up.
anks_at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 22:20   #5138
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,642
Thanked: 3,837 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
I agree that it is a high GC car and should not be driven like a sedan, but the sheer number of topplings are really alarming. I am sure that Ford does not de-engineer their cars the way Maruti does when they launch them in India. But, because they could price it quite low here in India, I have always suspected that they had some serious de-engineering done on the Ecosport.
I haven't heard of many toppling, just the one at launch. But toppling is a case of driver error at all occasions.

Ford has a very beautiful steering & suspension set-up. I have a Ford & know its strengths. The speeds at which I corner, dare I say, few might be cornering on their door-handles. Needless to say its a clean corner (with 100% visibility, no traffic & good tarmac)

Quote:
BTW, I do not expect Ford to issue a clarification. Until now, this issue has been confined to social networking and other websites. By issuing a statement, they would be giving it a wider publicity.
Its at every showroom I went to. All the sales persons are talking about this the moment you say EcoSport. Manufacturers & sales outlets who sell Cars between 6-12 L are talking about it. The damage has been done.

Ford would be a better judge to take a stand on this, but IMO, its better to be straight & let everyone know that this issue has nothing to do with EcoSport being an ill handling Car. They may use ACI's Anniv issue snippets with Naren driving & posting its timings. Its better than few Cars.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 10:44   #5139
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 952
Thanked: 421 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

For those looking for regular (non-LED) scuff plates for their Ecosport like me, here is the "only" option i found online. Going to give it a try cause its Rs.770/- with free shipping to Pune. Looks decent enough in pictures so keeping my fingers crossed.

Stainless steel, non-LED scuff plates
Attached Images
 
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 10:57   #5140
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 527
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
For those looking for regular (non-LED) scuff plates for their Ecosport like me, here is the "only" option i found online. Going to give it a try cause its Rs.770/- with free shipping to Pune. Looks decent enough in pictures so keeping my fingers crossed.

Stainless steel, non-LED scuff plates
I had ordered similar set of 4 from ali express. the small ones don't fit at the back as the base is curved. Only the front two were a good fit. They had cost me $18.
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:03   #5141
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 952
Thanked: 421 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
I had ordered similar set of 4 from ali express. the small ones don't fit at the back as the base is curved. Only the front two were a good fit. They had cost me $18.
Damn! I just paid Rs.770!
When you say the base is curved, you are referring to the door sill? In which case no use of the rear ones at all?

BTW : Aliexpress has some cool patterns but i just couldnt get myself to use my credit card online to pay some bloke in China. Kept worrying about frauds. But looks like you had those delivered without issues.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 29th October 2013 at 11:06.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:06   #5142
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 16
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
1. Toppling incident - been discussed to death. Yes, the CG is higher, and you can feel body roll. Drive accordingly.
2. I've been through water that other hatch backs went through, and we were all happy. I'd be shocked if the EcoSport bogged down where an Alto went through, unless it was a case of driver error (e.g. taking the foot off the throttle leading to the engine stalling).
I assume, us petrol owners, would be less affected by the water logging. The air intake is the major cause of hydrostatic locks when passing through water. It might still be driver error but the petrol engines would be more forgiving. In the case reported in Kolkata the service advisor has pointed out that the water has gone in through the air intake which is almost at the base of the front bumper. This is definitely lower than the 550 mm mark as advertised by Ford. Is it too difficult to have the air intake placed a little upward just like they did for the glow plug module?
Dhrubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:06   #5143
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 527
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Damn! I just paid Rs.770!

When you say the base is curved, you are referring to the door sill? In which case no use of the rear ones at all?
yes i meant the door sill. Although I attached the rear ones vertically near the hinges ... they look good there too
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:13   #5144
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 348
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

How are these fog lamps? Its under 800/-.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ford-Eco-Spor...ht_1493wt_1163

I guess we will need a switch also inside for it. Any inputs please. I have EcosSport Trend.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:48   #5145
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo View Post
In the case reported in Kolkata the service advisor has pointed out that the water has gone in through the air intake which is almost at the base of the front bumper. This is definitely lower than the 550 mm mark as advertised by Ford.
It is also entirely possible that the driver drove into the water a bit too fast, thereby making the water enter the intake. Point is - driving through water necessitates certain precautions, and a lot of judgement, failing to observe which can be catastrophic.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks