Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 10:06   #6031
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 952
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-VGate...ht_7007wt_1037

Anybody try this? Its too long drawn out description for me to read through but what i understand is that it lets you diagnose the vehicle using some software on the android phone or windows pc?
Attached Images
 
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:37   #6032
BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 872
Thanked: 1,118 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-VGate...ht_7007wt_1037

Anybody try this? Its too long drawn out description for me to read through but what i understand is that it lets you diagnose the vehicle using some software on the android phone or windows pc?
Hi ,
Ordered one on Aliexpress.com , will update you once I receive it.
It basically gives you many real time values of the engine including the coolent temperature

I personally feel is more of an interesting gadget than a useful one.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 11:00   #6033
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 952
Thanked: 420 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hi ,
Ordered one on Aliexpress.com , will update you once I receive it.
It basically gives you many real time values of the engine including the coolent temperature

I personally feel is more of an interesting gadget than a useful one.
Exactly! But since its an external device that requires no tampering what so ever, i was considering a purchase. I'm not sure if it does come with the right diagnostic setup for the current gen Ecosport.

Now that you have taken the plunge, will wait for you to put up a review on your thread.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 11:51   #6034
BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 872
Thanked: 1,118 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Exactly! But since its an external device that requires no tampering what so ever, i was considering a purchase. I'm not sure if it does come with the right diagnostic setup for the current gen Ecosport.

Now that you have taken the plunge, will wait for you to put up a review on your thread.
There is an application on Android called torque pro.
The device connects to our phone through bluetooth and your ready to go.
These pictures were posted by a fellow bhpian.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131218222213.png  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131218222156.png  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131218222208.png  

ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 14:03   #6035
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Witt the long waiting list of the Eco Sport ( mainly due to the restricted supply) FMC become too cocky for its own good. After increasing the prices within 2 months of launch they are about to do it again.

They should not get carried away by the long waiting list. While the Eco Sport is a decent product, a lot of the people found value in the launch price and booked the car.

Another increase makes it a lot less attractive from the customer point of view. In India there is a lot of cross shopping and people will go for products like the Verna and now the new City which are very well equipped and significantly more spacious. Renault Duster and Terrano are already outselling the ES. While the car is being exported in big numbers , it remains to be seen how long will the volumes hold.

Instead of increasing prices, Ford should increase supply to grab a bigger chunk of the market. Their tactics are patently anti customer and a large number of people will look at other manufacturers. It could easily become a case of a competent product not really succeeding in to the extent it should, due to the flawed policies of the manufacturer.

The Honda Amaze is now available practically off the shelf and is reporting much higher numbers then the ES. With the new City Honda will pull more customers.

It is the anti customer policies followed by FMC which has prevented it from becoming a big player n the Indian market even though some of its models ( Ikon, Figo, Fiesta and now ES) have been appreciated by the car buying customers.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 14:15   #6036
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Witt the long waiting list of the Eco Sport ( mainly due to the restricted supply) FMC become too cocky for its own good. After increasing the prices within 2 months of launch they are about to do it again.

They should not get carried away by the long waiting list. While the Eco Sport is a decent product, a lot of the people found value in the launch price and booked the car.

Another increase makes it a lot less attractive from the customer point of view. In India there is a lot of cross shopping and people will go for products like the Verna and now the new City which are very well equipped and significantly more spacious. Renault Duster and Terrano are already outselling the ES. While the car is being exported in big numbers , it remains to be seen how long will the volumes hold.
No doubt, Ford is concentrating on exports, cos that's where they get more profits. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. I think, Ford erred by pricing the car too low. Probably, they did not want to repeat the Fiesta fiasco. But, what they didn't probably consider is that unlike the Fiesta, Ecosport has less competition.

Unless they manage to ramp up production, we are going to get only restricted numbers. Hopefully, after the Jan price hike, the margins will increase to a level where it matches up to what they get by selling to South Africa or Europe.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 14:32   #6037
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
No doubt, Ford is concentrating on exports, cos that's where they get more profits. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. I think, Ford erred by pricing the car too low. Probably, they did not want to repeat the Fiesta fiasco. But, what they didn't probably consider is that unlike the Fiesta, Ecosport has less competition.

Unless they manage to ramp up production, we are going to get only restricted numbers. Hopefully, after the Jan price hike, the margins will increase to a level where it matches up to what they get by selling to South Africa or Europe.
With the depreciation of the rupee earlier this year and low labour costs in India, the manufacturing costs for Ford should not be too high ( unless they are inefficient). Moreover, the ES attracts lower excise taxes. Ford may make higher margins per vehicle and sell 4-5 K units / month for some time . However, with this strategy they will continue to be a fringe player. It will not take the volume players like MSIL and Hyundai too long to enter this segment. As history has shown, these players go for volumes and when that happens, Ford India will rue its past mistakes. Dealers will not be happy with limited volumes ( the Figo sales are at an all time low and other Ford models don't do too well either) as they will not be able to make any money on such volumes ( each dealer is getting a very limited no of ES/month).

What Ford needs is volumes and a number of successful products. The Fiesta refresh is unlikely to get them big numbers and the Figo replacement is still a some time away. ES is the only product that can give them volumes. Moreover, people who have been put off with Ford behavior will not only stay away from the Brand in the future but also bad mouth it to other potential customers. It may well turn out to be a case of "PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH" FOR FORD

On comparing the ES with the Sedans like Verna, you realize that it is not really under priced. For the price of a ES (TDCI Titanium+) you can get a Verna 1.6 top end with all the bells and whistles. This car not only has more space, but the engine is a lot more powerful. Moreover, HMCIL is paying a much higher tax on this car. What the ES has going in its favour is the novelty value, which tends to wear off over time. It is an excellently packaged "big hatch" and Ford should not start believing too much in its own exhaust.

The Duster and XUV 500 also started on a very strong wicket before losing steam. Moreover, a lot of people may put off the decision to replace their current cars if they find the pricing to be unattractive. The poor economy will also effect sales.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 24th December 2013 at 14:42.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 15:35   #6038
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
With the depreciation of the rupee earlier this year and low labour costs in India, the manufacturing costs for Ford should not be too high ( unless they are inefficient). Moreover, the ES attracts lower excise taxes. Ford may make higher margins per vehicle and sell 4-5 K units / month for some time . However, with this strategy they will continue to be a fringe player. It will not take the volume players like MSIL and Hyundai too long to enter this segment. As history has shown, these players go for volumes and when that happens, Ford India will rue its past mistakes. Dealers will not be happy with limited volumes ( the Figo sales are at an all time low and other Ford models don't do too well either) as they will not be able to make any money on such volumes ( each dealer is getting a very limited no of ES/month).

What Ford needs is volumes and a number of successful products. The Fiesta refresh is unlikely to get them big numbers and the Figo replacement is still a some time away. ES is the only product that can give them volumes. Moreover, people who have been put off with Ford behavior will not only stay away from the Brand in the future but also bad mouth it to other potential customers. It may well turn out to be a case of "PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH" FOR FORD

On comparing the ES with the Sedans like Verna, you realize that it is not really under priced. For the price of a ES (TDCI Titanium+) you can get a Verna 1.6 top end with all the bells and whistles. This car not only has more space, but the engine is a lot more powerful. Moreover, HMCIL is paying a much higher tax on this car. What the ES has going in its favour is the novelty value, which tends to wear off over time. It is an excellently packaged "big hatch" and Ford should not start believing too much in its own exhaust.

The Duster and XUV 500 also started on a very strong wicket before losing steam. Moreover, a lot of people may put off the decision to replace their current cars if they find the pricing to be unattractive. The poor economy will also effect sales.
One more try:

- Ford has a limited production capacity.
- Margins are better from exports.

So it makes better sense to export

UNLESS

they increase production to beat export demand

OR

hike prices and improve domestic margins
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 16:15   #6039
BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 872
Thanked: 1,118 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Good news,

For all the guys who were waiting for an in dash navigation and screen for the ecosport.
Caska India is about to launch one.

Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131224160130.png  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131224155850.png  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-screenshot_20131224160203.png  


Last edited by ecosport rules : 24th December 2013 at 16:18.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 17:31   #6040
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite severe Moderator action on your account.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
One more try:

- Ford has a limited production capacity.
- Margins are better from exports.

So it makes better sense to export

UNLESS

they increase production to beat export demand

OR

hike prices and improve domestic margins


The production capacity can be expanded. the Eco Sport was launched 6 months back and this is long enough time to ramp up production ( As has been done by Honda). The capacity constraints are specific to Eco Sport. The plant has sufficient capacity to produce cars as the other Ford Cars are just not selling.

Ford can make more money in the short turn by exporting cars. However, if it fails to win over customers in Indian Market, it will have to rely only on exports. The plant in Gujarat is under construction and I don't think that it will be able to sustain itself solely on exports.

Ford could have become the master of this segment by being aggressive just like what Maruti did when it created a segment of premium hatchbacks with the Swift. MSIL has lorded over that segment as it went for the numbers and crowded every one out first with the Swift and then the Swift Dzire.


The limited production capacity could be there because Ford did not expect to sell the Eco Sport in huge numbers ( say 10000 + / month) at high prices. If this is the case, they were resigned to the fact that they will at best be fringe players in India.

It is far safer and easier to sell huge nos of the same product which has market acceptance, than have 3-4 products selling 4-5 k nos each with a cumulative sales of 15-16 K units.

What will Ford do when the SA markets appetite for the EcoSport goes down. They have made their investments in producing the EcoSport in India and that is what should be their first priority.

The developed markets are a lot more competitive than India with a larger number of options available. Moreover, EcoSport suits Indian market needs to the T and had captured the imagination of the India car buyer. It is foolhardy to let this opportunity slip to earn a few more Dollars and short term profitability. Ford as a brand is not very strong in India and it has worked hard to change this perception in the mind of the customers by increasing its sales and service outlets, bringing the cost of spare parts down etc. The reasonable success of Figo, Fiesta and the Ikon have given it some respectability as a brand.

It can fritter all of this away by putting export markets above domestic customers. No body likes to wait 6-12 months for a car no matter how good it is. It becomes worse if he has to pay a price that is significantly higher than it was at the time of booking the car.

I rest my case here.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2013 at 18:31. Reason: Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full name
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 18:36   #6041
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The production capacity can be expanded.
OK, so why do you think that they are not expanding it even though they could? They don't earn anything by making people wait, do they?

In fact we seem to know better than Ford on how they should run their business.

Quote:
What will Ford do when the SA markets appetite for the ES goes down. They have made their investments in producing the ES in India and that is what should be their first priority.
Well, this true for all markets, not just SA. Replace, SA with India.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 20:10   #6042
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

For all who complain (very valid) or question the business logic of Ford, or suggesting alternate plans, please see the MoM growth of their product portfolio.
I visited Ford for window shopping, and witnessed 7 Ecosport bookings under 30 mins, while few others checked out Fiesta.
Folks who like Ecosport are ready to wait (like dzire or amaze), while few are confirming Fiesta. The overall footfall has increased tremendously and that's helping Ford.
For those suggesting or criticizing the business logic, must know that Ford has done it's homework and executing it's plan.
harishpr is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 21:37   #6043
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 329
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
For all who complain (very valid) or question the business logic of Ford, or suggesting alternate plans, please see the MoM growth of their product portfolio.
I visited Ford for window shopping, and witnessed 7 Ecosport bookings under 30 mins, while few others checked out Fiesta.
Folks who like Ecosport are ready to wait (like dzire or amaze), while few are confirming Fiesta. The overall footfall has increased tremendously and that's helping Ford.
For those suggesting or criticizing the business logic, must know that Ford has done it's homework and executing it's plan.
From my reading, if anything, post ecosport the aggregate of rest of the cars in their portfolio has come down significantly. It's almost down by 40% for Nov 2013(approx 3500) compared to Nov 2012(approx 6000). There could be multiple reasons for that but having driven Ikon and Fiesta for quite a while and being sort of an ardent supporter of Ford, I should say I am really disappointed with this whole mess they have created. I can assure one thing, while people agree it's a good product, the negative publicity (at least in my workplace) is quite huge.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 07:56   #6044
BHPian
 
risga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 212
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review - SYNC Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Maybe a normal operating sound. However, I have not noticed any unusual sound from my vehicle. Will listen closely with window down and get back to you.
Hey TSIched. Could not detect any such sound from my vehicle. You may get it checked during your first service if the sound persists, unless there is a warning message of any kind.

How is your vehicle doing otherwise? I have some minor rattling issues. Seems to be coming from the left front door. Will get this checked during first service sometime in Feb 2014.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 10:55   #6045
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
OK, so why do you think that they are not expanding it even though they could? They don't earn anything by making people wait, do they?

In fact we seem to know better than Ford on how they should run their business.



Well, this true for all markets, not just SA. Replace, SA with India.
Approximately 15 years after it set up shop in India, Ford is selling less than 10 K cars per month. In the same time companies like MSIL, Hyundai and Mahindra have increased their sales many fold.

This performance ( or lack of it) speaks volumes about how well Ford Motors has understood Indian Market.

At the time of ES launch, the MD of Ford India said that they will produce as many ES as the market demands. Well I am yet to see that happen. I am a satisfied Ford Figo owner and was one of the first to book the ES. The delay in delivery ad the price increase made me cancel the booking. I am sure that I am one of the many who have done so.

I may not be working for Ford. This lets me take an objective view unlike an employee who will justify the company's decision as he works there and has to toe the official line. The forum members are avid followers of the Auto industry and though they make not work for any manufacturer, they sure can tell what is working in the market and what is not.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks