Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 11:07   #6196
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,815 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
It's a blurred line that divides a Crossover SUV from a Tall Hatch ... There are a plethora of other similar debates on this subject, without the need to muddle this thread with the same.
There are different ways of looking at the EcoSport - one is styling & market positioning (tailgate mounted spare, SUV tag), the contentious one is space & size, another is pricing, another is product portfolio (which I've focused on).

We had this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-2015-a.html (Ford India to launch 8 new cars by 2015!)) about Ford's 8 new models to augment their Indian portfolio. My earlier post took a view to how Ford are growing their product portfolio and filling the gaps. I'm not trying to reignite the earlier debate.

Ford had a barren portfolio for quite a while, and now they're seem to want to change to one that covers various price segments, similar to Maruti & Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
A "Premium" Hatch, indeed.
Agreed. When I bought my EcoSport, my requirement was for a spacious & premium hatch. I paid more than the other prevailing hatches for the EcoSport's engine, safety kit, looks and early mover advantage. However, if I were faced with today's prices which are a lakh more OTR than what I paid, I might have rethought my decision, and started looking harder at the Polo GTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Firstly with the SUVish exterior design, then thier marketing and pricing strategies, Ford has certainly proved themselves to be very "smart".
Ford's smartness and market success seems to come only in alternate cycles (Figo, EcoSport vs. the 2011 Fiesta).
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:19   #6197
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
It's a blurred line that divides a Crossover SUV from a Tall Hatch. I guess, at the end of the day, it is a matter of perspective. There are a plethora of other similar debates on this subject, without the need to muddle this thread with the same.
It does not matter what a vehicle is called. What matters is what the vehicle offers the buyer. I'd be surprised if a true SUV wannabe even considered Ecosport as an option. Or for that matter even a CR-V or a Duster or an Outlander or a Yeti. Most of these are sedans/hatches modified to look like SUVs. None of them are off-roaders.

Ecosport is a small hatch with a higher H-point and ground clearance. I am glad that it is small, cos I wanted a small car. I wouldn't have touched it, if it was bigger.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 11:31   #6198
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
It does not matter what a vehicle is called. What matters is what the vehicle offers the buyer. I'd be surprised if a true SUV wannabe even considered Ecosport as an option. Or for that matter even a CR-V or a Duster or an Outlander or a Yeti. Most of these are sedans/hatches modified to look like SUVs. None of them are off-roaders.

Ecosport is a small hatch with a higher H-point and ground clearance. I am glad that it is small, cos I wanted a small car. I wouldn't have touched it, if it was bigger.
And, that's why my garage is a Gurkha and an Ecosport.
The Gurkha, to fulfill my need to GO ANYWHERE in relative comfort, and for horribly dense traffic.
The Ecosport, to take me to MOST places in greater comfort and speed, without worrying about Roads, Potholes, Speed Breakers etc. while being handy enough for my wife to manage.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 13:56   #6199
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 11
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

The prices have now been revised significantly and published on the Ford Website. My own booking (1.5L Ambient Petrol) just got increased by Rs. 65,000 (taking into account the first price hike in September 2013 and in January 2014) Landing cost of vehicle will be 80,000 more than initially planned (assuming the increased registration expenses).

I have no words (now thinking if I should cancel. My car doesn't have an RPM or even power windows for the back seat). I'm probably blinded by how good it looks. But need to start thinking from the head!

Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
binoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 14:51   #6200
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 210
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
The prices have now been revised significantly and published on the Ford Website. My own booking (1.5L Ambient Petrol) just got increased by Rs. 65,000 (taking into account the first price hike in September 2013 and in January 2014) Landing cost of vehicle will be 80,000 more than initially planned (assuming the increased registration expenses).

I have no words (now thinking if I should cancel. My car doesn't have an RPM or even power windows for the back seat). I'm probably blinded by how good it looks. But need to start thinking from the head!

Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
Absolutely not. For a 7.7l you can get a much better featured petrol car. The Dezire, Verna, Linea are good choices and the best would be the new Honda City. And they are all good looking cars :-)
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 14:55   #6201
BHPian
 
achopraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dilli
Posts: 291
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
The prices have now been revised significantly and published on the Ford Website. My own booking (1.5L Ambient Petrol) just got increased by Rs. 65,000 (taking into account the first price hike in September 2013 and in January 2014) Landing cost of vehicle will be 80,000 more than initially planned (assuming the increased registration expenses).

I have no words (now thinking if I should cancel. My car doesn't have an RPM or even power windows for the back seat). I'm probably blinded by how good it looks. But need to start thinking from the head!

Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
Other leaf in the Heart v/s Mind games -
If Heart Rules and you eventually buy it, whenever you will drive you will think you got the same thing 80K dearer.

If Mind Rules and you buy other car, whenever you will see any Ford Ecosport going past, you may think - "Here goes my dream car which I booked and cancelled".

Logically, it doesn't make sense now. It now more is VFM. Try other options and then see if you can make a pact between the mind and heart.
achopraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:01   #6202
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: GGN/DXB
Posts: 20
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Ford, in my opinion, have surpassed themselves and all my expectations (or lack of it).
Today, paid my umpteenth visit to Harpreet Ford (Gurgaon). I'd booked a 1.0 Titanium (O) on 22nd July and the expected timeline from delivery has been consistently pushed back from November till Februrary.
I'd gone primarily to understand the impact of recent price hike (about 40k increase), however thought of checking up again on delivery status.
To my utter shock, disbelief, dismay and anger the SA and the dealership owner (who happened to be there) calmly mentioned that I should not expect delivery over entire 2014 . I would probably get my car early 2015.
I actually laughed when they first said it, thinking that i must have misheard. And then all other emotions came in.
In between all the fireworks that i lit there and their lame excuses, the crux of the matter is that they are getting 1-2 Ecoboost per month due to lower production.
I think it's all a bunch of bull and told them so straight up. I mean, at end of December the car is expected in Jan and suddenly it's pushed back by a year.
Anyways, I will be cancelling this booking and since I prefer a compact SUV will probably go for Duster petrol after the launch of facelift. Just hoping that the rumours of Renault bringing the 1.2TCe turn out to be true.
Since i'm feeling quite frustrated and know that cancellation of one booking (i.e. mine) will not even cause Ford to flutter their eye, need advice from you guys on what steps can i take/initiate to at least ruffle up their feathers?
Meanwhile, all those who have their EcoSport and those who are getting it soon, wishing you a great experience!
tifoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:02   #6203
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 940
Thanked: 762 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
In a word, no. Look at some of the other options at that price point, although I wouldn't hesitate before going for the City. Best petrol car at that price IMO
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:08   #6204
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,512
Thanked: 709 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I still remember the bangalore OTR price for the 1.5D Titanium + was 11.29 lakhs with dealer insurance quote on launch day. Its now 12.23 on their site. A cool 1 lakh increase in less than 6 months!

I just hope those who'd booked prior to launch or immediately afterwards, have got their cars. This sharp increase in such a short span certainly can't be good for the brand in the long run.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:19   #6205
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 11
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
Ford, in my opinion, have surpassed themselves and all my expectations (or lack of it).
Today, paid my umpteenth visit to Harpreet Ford (Gurgaon). I'd booked a 1.0 Titanium (O) on 22nd July and the expected timeline from delivery has been consistently pushed back from November till Februrary.
I'd gone primarily to understand the impact of recent price hike (about 40k increase), however thought of checking up again on delivery status.
To my utter shock, disbelief, dismay and anger the SA and the dealership owner (who happened to be there) calmly mentioned that I should not expect delivery over entire 2014 . I would probably get my car early 2015.
I actually laughed when they first said it, thinking that i must have misheard. And then all other emotions came in.
You should write to Ford Corporate directly. That's what I did. I received an Email followed by a phone call and very recently a letter mentioning delivery time for my booking.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th January 2014 at 16:15.
binoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:20   #6206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 128
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

This is crazy stuff. At one hand they are not able to supply even 5000 cars per month consistently and now they have taken such a huge price hike again !!

The base petrol model (ESP N Delhi) now is 6.20 lacs ,which was 5.59 at the time of launch

The top end diesel is now 9.75 lacs which was 8.99 lacs at the time of launch.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:43   #6207
BHPian
 
penpavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Blore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
When I bought my EcoSport, my requirement was for a spacious & premium hatch. I paid more than the other prevailing hatches for the EcoSport's engine, safety kit, looks and early mover advantage. However, if I were faced with today's prices which are a lakh more OTR than what I paid, I might have rethought my decision, and started looking harder at the Polo GTD.
Exactly the same reason I bought mine. I was thinking to go for Jazz but then it had discontinued by the time I made my mind to buy.
So the EcoSport will definitely not attract the true SUV buyers but the ones who want a premium hatch, or even an entry level sedan.
penpavan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:45   #6208
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
At 7.7 lac I'd rather be looking at the i10 Grand or the i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Absolutely not. For a 7.7l you can get a much better featured petrol car. The Dezire, Verna, Linea are good choices and the best would be the new Honda City. And they are all good looking cars :-)
At 7.7L on road you don't get a City. The E MT costs 9.2L on road in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
In between all the fireworks that i lit there and their lame excuses, the crux of the matter is that they are getting 1-2 Ecoboost per month due to lower production.
True. If you look at the sales thread only about 10% of all Ecosports produced are petrols. That is some 370 odd numbers. Now divide that by the number of dealerships across the country.
Quote:
Anyways, I will be cancelling this booking
This is exactly what they want. Attract buyers, wear them off by making wait endlessly until they shift to diesels or shift to other cars.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 15:52   #6209
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 210
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
At 7.7 lac I'd rather be looking at the i10 Grand or the i20.

At 7.7L on road you don't get a City. The E MT costs 9.2L on road in .
WOW! Thats means an approximate price difference of 1.60L between exshowroom price and OTR. How much is the road tax and the one time token cost there?
rajamuneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 16:03   #6210
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
WOW! Thats means an approximate price difference of 1.60L between exshowroom price and OTR. How much is the road tax and the one time token cost there?
See this:
http://www.dakshinhonda.com/honda_allnewcity.htm

Road tax ~1.25L
Insurance ~ 28K
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks