Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 16:28   #6211
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,984
Thanked: 5,018 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifoso View Post
I'd gone primarily to understand the impact of recent price hike (about 40k increase), however thought of checking up again on delivery status.
To my utter shock, disbelief, dismay and anger the SA and the dealership owner (who happened to be there) calmly mentioned that I should not expect delivery over entire 2014 . I would probably get my car early 2015.
I actually laughed when they first said it ...
I'm not surprised. If this is the general case, then buying Ecosport is nothing more than a bad joke. Nobody waits a year for a car, unless it is something really special. Like a customised Bentley. Do they take a whole year, even?

How many more price hikes in that year, I wonder?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 18:15   #6212
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 15
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

What I get from these massive price hikes is that Ford definitely wants to slow down the huge demand at this point of time which they are anyways not able to meet. And looking by the declining number of deliveries every month I think they are more concerned towards exports rather than serving us. With huge amount of bookings still piled up, I don't think they'll have any problem getting decent numbers till mid 2014 after which they might have increased their production capacity by a bit and also they would be in a better position to offer festive discounts to the tune of 10-20k during oct-nov if the sales start to decline. The market these days is definitely not like earlier where a single car would rule over few years. Probably another aggressively priced game changer like Honda Jazz or something else would start its race for COTY. And then probably by mid-late 2015 we'd get a facelifted Ecosport along with other 7 models that Ford has promised us.
As for the car right now it definitely doesn't feel like a hatch. Coming from the Aam Aadmi's favourite tallboy Wagon R it definitely feels a segment above. The only thing that bothers me is lack of power but then its no jag either.
Also mileage update at 4500 kms. Done by tankful to tankful method since we bought the car on 3rd Sep 2013 is 15.3 kmpl. This includes engine run in period till almost 2000kms where it was never taken above 2000rpm. It has had a few highway runs totalling not more than 2500 kms, so I would say city:highway breakup is 50:50. The only way to increase mileage is a feather foot on the gas pedal but that is definitely not how I drive my cars. Overall I am really happy with the mileage having driven petrol cars all my life and the mileage we get on our 2005 1.1 L Wagon R is not more than 11.
eco-doc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:06   #6213
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,153
Thanked: 5,029 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
...Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
At that price, I would look at a Swift K-Series. Should be fun to drive and will return quite a decent FE as well.

Not sure; but you may be able to lay your hands on the base version of Linea T-Jet with the ongoing discounts.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:15   #6214
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,897 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoym View Post
The prices have now been revised significantly and published on the Ford Website. My own booking (1.5L Ambient Petrol) just got increased by Rs. 65,000 (taking into account the first price hike in September 2013 and in January 2014) Landing cost of vehicle will be 80,000 more than initially planned (assuming the increased registration expenses).

I have no words (now thinking if I should cancel. My car doesn't have an RPM or even power windows for the back seat). I'm probably blinded by how good it looks. But need to start thinking from the head!

Rs.7.7 Lac on road petrol with almost no features. Does it make sense anymore?
My advice. Take the 50K from Ford and walk over to the Toyota showroom. Book either the TRD Liva petrol with 1.5L 90PS or Liva top end Diesel VD SP or even the Etios V SP sedan.

All the above 3 are around 7.5L on road and offer more features than the base model EcoSport. Primarily, above 3 options get you ABS and airbags.

Second option is the i20.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:20   #6215
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 527
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

You can call it a bigger hatch or Mini/urban SUV but it works well (for me) in every condition.

I have done 8000kms since 5th Sep (2 goa trips , 1 hyderabad trip, 2 Mumbai trips) and getiing an overall mileage of 18-19kmpl on highways and 16-17 in city.

What I love about this car
1.6 air bags , ABS , SYNC emergency system and sturdy construction : safety for me and my family
2.Cooled glove box : keeps my red bull and bottle of water cool on long journeys
3.ISOFIX : ease in using car seat
4.Boot space : good for a pram and big size suit case and a 2 body-4 lens camera bag.
5.Great music system with awesome noise insulation makes the journey less tiring
6.200 mm GC : never worry about any speed hump or getting off the road anywhere
7.Lumbar support / adjustment : comfortable highway drives (reached home at 530 today eve from Goa and still feel fresh)
8.Good handling : much better than most hatches. I was attacking and taking corners at sawantwadi and amboli ghats and was going better/faster than a cpl of cars (viz. Swift 1.3 , Verna , Vento , rapid , fabia )
9.Under seat storage : keeps my gps safe and hidden from prying eyes
10.In a diesel car if you drive to build the torque , you will get both mileage and power. I do 100-110 on highways and occasionaly pull easily in 5th upto 140-150 if needed to overtake , and I still get 18kmpl .
11. Contemporary design/style
12. Keyless entry and push button start + climate control : comfort and convenience

So which car offers all this for 11-11.5 lacs(on road) in market today?

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 9th January 2014 at 19:22.
niks_devil666 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:39   #6216
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
You can call it a bigger hatch or Mini/urban SUV but it works well (for me) in every condition.

I have done 8000kms since 5th Sep (2 goa trips , 1 hyderabad trip, 2 Mumbai trips) and getiing an overall mileage of 18-19kmpl on highways and 16-17 in city.

What I love about this car
1.6 air bags , ABS , SYNC emergency system and sturdy construction : safety for me and my family
2.Cooled glove box : keeps my red bull and bottle of water cool on long journeys
3.ISOFIX : ease in using car seat
4.Boot space : good for a pram and big size suit case and a 2 body-4 lens camera bag.
5.Great music system with awesome noise insulation makes the journey less tiring
6.200 mm GC : never worry about any speed hump or getting off the road anywhere
7.Lumbar support / adjustment : comfortable highway drives (reached home at 530 today eve from Goa and still feel fresh)
8.Good handling : much better than most hatches. I was attacking and taking corners at sawantwadi and amboli ghats and was going better/faster than a cpl of cars (viz. Swift 1.3 , Verna , Vento , rapid , fabia )
9.Under seat storage : keeps my gps safe and hidden from prying eyes
10.In a diesel car if you drive to build the torque , you will get both mileage and power. I do 100-110 on highways and occasionaly pull easily in 5th upto 140-150 if needed to overtake , and I still get 18kmpl .
11. Contemporary design/style
12. Keyless entry and push button start + climate control : comfort and convenience

So which car offers all this for 11-11.5 lacs(on road) in market today?
Exactly! And all those touting the new City, should take a look at the safety package offered in even it's top variant.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:01   #6217
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 210
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Exactly! And all those touting the new City, should take a look at the safety package offered in even it's top variant.
True. But the real debate back there was not about the top end features offered by ES v/s other cars but the bare basic variant for nearly 8L which doesnt even have four power windows. In that category there are many better options. Though the top variant is entirely in a different league.
rajamuneeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:25   #6218
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post

True. But the real debate back there was not about the top end features offered by ES v/s other cars but the bare basic variant for nearly 8L which doesnt even have four power windows. In that category there are many better options. Though the top variant is entirely in a different league.
The post I quoted and seconded was one that made a reference to a 11 lac + INR price point. That's certainly NOT the entry level variant!
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:59   #6219
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,650 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

What are wait periods for the automatic titanium in Mumbai and/or Pune?

Also what is the ex-showroom for this model after the price hike?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:08   #6220
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,897 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What are wait periods for the automatic titanium in Mumbai and/or Pune?

Also what is the ex-showroom for this model after the price hike?
Ex showroom Delhi has gone up from 8.67L to 9.04L. Waiting periods are long for the AT since it probably has lowest priority.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:18   #6221
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 210
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

The post I quoted and seconded was one that made a reference to a 11 lac + INR price point. That's certainly NOT the entry level variant!
That is why i said True to what you seconded but also highlighted that we were discussing the base variant before the post you seconded :-)
rajamuneeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:26   #6222
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 527
Thanked: 225 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post

That is why i said True to what you seconded but also highlighted that we were discussing the base variant before the post you seconded :-)
There's another point you missed. Although there is a price hike and people are not liking it, there will be some cancellations but this car will still sell because of so many positives. Unless and until there is a strong competitor in the mini suv market ford is going to sell this in decent numbers.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 22:55   #6223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hyd
Posts: 28
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Even i am thinking of cancelling the booking. Had booked the A/T variant before the price announcement. Already witnessed 2 price increases - may be have to go through couple more by the time the car is delivered.

The price increase would have made it costlier by nearly a lakh here, which makes a real dent on the VFM package ecosport was - compared to the safety/features it offered. Now all other automatic hatches look real VFM. Not a good dilemma to be in.

As per the dealer, I am first in line and should get allotment this month - but paying 1 more lakh for something delivered months later - all because of ford's attitude towards indian market , somehow does leave a bad taste. Its anyway taken the shine off the experience. Maybe i will go the showroom over the weekend and decide.

Cheers.
Unbranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 23:31   #6224
BHPian
 
rajamuneeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: srinagar
Posts: 210
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post

There's another point you missed. Although there is a price hike and people are not liking it, there will be some cancellations but this car will still sell because of so many positives. Unless and until there is a strong competitor in the mini suv market ford is going to sell this in decent numbers.
Well i never said this car wont sell. All one gentleman asked was is it worth buying a 7.7L petrol vehicle which doesnt even have 4 power windows and we said he could have a much better equipped petrol car for that price. Now according to December sales chart less than 4000 ES has been sold in that month. Does this car has a potential to be sold in big numbers in India? Big Yes. Is Ford interested in selling it in big numbers in India? I dont think so. And they have a valid reason for it too. Afterall profitiblity is what every company looks for and they are not doing anything different by exporting it in big numbers and making huge money. Now how to sell in big numbers in India? They need to look at the sales chart and learn from MIL.
rajamuneeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 10:55   #6225
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 521
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My advice. Take the 50K from Ford and walk over to the Toyota showroom. Book either the TRD Liva petrol with 1.5L 90PS or Liva top end Diesel VD SP or even the Etios V SP sedan.

All the above 3 are around 7.5L on road and offer more features than the base model EcoSport. Primarily, above 3 options get you ABS and airbags.

Second option is the i20.
You got me thinking. I personally wouldn't touch an Etios, either booted or bootless. But if you consider further there are other options as well. So here is a list. I picked the most sold Ecosport version on TeamBHP (Titanium TDCi) for comparison.

Actually there are quite a good number of alternatives. In some cases, you have to make some compromises while you gain some.

Sedans:
Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire - 7.6L
Honda Amaze 1.5 VXMT i-DTEC - 7.8L
Toyota Etios VD - 7.9L
Nissan Sunny XL Diesel - 8.5L
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi - 8.8L
-- Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi - 8.9L -- Reference point
Fiat Linea Dynamic 1.3 - 9.2L
Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZDi - 9.3L
Honda City SV Diesel - 9.7L
Skoda Rapid Elegance 1.6 TDI CR MT - 9.8L
Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX - 10L
Volkswagen Vento Highline Diesel - 10L

Hatchbacks
Maruti Suzuki Ritz Zdi BS-IV - 6.4L
Toyota Etios Liva GD SP* - 6.5
Fiat Grande Punto Emotion 1.3 90HP - 7.4L
Hyundai i20 Asta 1.4 CRDI - 7.7L
Maruti Suzuki Swift ZDi - 7L
Volkswagen Polo GT TDI - 8.1L
-- Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi - 8.9L -- Reference point


Pseudo SUVs
-- Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi - 8.9L -- Reference point
Renault Duster 85 PS RxL Diesel (Opt) - 10L
Nissan Terrano XL D Plus - 10.9

ps: No discounts taken into account; source: carwale
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks