Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 12th February 2014, 13:56   #6511
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
A friend who is working with a Ford dealership in Pune said me they have four Petrol EcoSports. Anyone interested?
I am, if they can transfer one of those to the neighboring state.

-------------------------

Called up GK Ford earlier today to inquire about the 1.5L Petrol Titanium variant, and surprisingly the fellow (I am assuming the manager), was very pleasant, cheerful and cordial in his replies. He quoted a price of 9.05L all inclusive, and a booking amount of 50K. Initially he said there was a waiting period of 1.5 months, but upon further talks he said the wait will depend upon choice of color, and if I went for a lighter shade (white, silver) I could get my car in March itself! He invited me to the dealership for direct discussions and so that I could TD the EcoSport there as well! Upon my inquiring if there was any way to get my car earlier, he asserted upon the previous point again (to me to visit the dealership) and he could finalise things for me there.

A much better experience interacting with Ford personnel this time around, unlike last year (in March/April, before the launch) when they didn't even bother to call me back, despite my repeated queries and emails. (Although it was a different dealership back then called Vansh Ford, which has since closed shop)

My running is very less (~500 kms a month) so petrol suits me just fine. We are a family of four, with the 5th member being my 2-year old Princess. All fine on that front as well.

I need some guidance from my fellow BHPians who own the 1.5L petrol or have got some feedback on it's performance. How does the 1.5L petrol perform vis-a-vis it's diesel counterpart? Will FE take a big hit, considering the engine size? Anywhere between 11-12 kpl for in-city driving and 15-16 kpl on the highway suits me just fine. Most of the time I will be driving alone, with sporadic trips with my family outside the city every couple months or so.

What are the service costs and intervals? The dealership is away from my place, at a distance of around 300 kms, so I would like to keep my A.S.S. visits as minimal as possible.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 17:34   #6512
BHPian

Arrow Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I need some guidance from my fellow BHPians who own the 1.5L petrol or have got some feedback on it's performance. How does the 1.5L petrol perform vis-a-vis it's diesel counterpart? Will FE take a big hit, considering the engine size? Anywhere between 11-12 kpl for in-city driving and 15-16 kpl on the highway suits me just fine.
If you compare it with the driving pleasure that a diesel or an Ecoboost engine gives you'll be disappointed. Just TD the vehicle and you'll spot the difference. But, if you prefer driving with a cool head, its made for you then.
You can have a look at the small review of my 1.5L Petrol I've posted in this thread.

Cheers !
the13thtee is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 00:33   #6513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Got my first service done few days back. Mine is a 1.5 AT. Dealer had been persistent with reminders every few days.

Its more of a check-up. No oil change is necessary. No charges. The car is washed and vacuumed. Total time taken is 3-4 hours.

Advised that next service is due within 12 months or 10k. That service will involve oil change (paid) and wheel alignment (paid). The labour for service shall be free.

Why should wheel alignment be paid, when its not a consumable?
The 1st two services are supposed to be free. That is 1st 2 years as each service interval is 1 year. So why would you be charged for engine oil etc?
sunny1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:20   #6514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
The 1st two services are supposed to be free. That is 1st 2 years as each service interval is 1 year. So why would you be charged for engine oil etc?
Sunny 1974, Which car do you own?

Most manufacturers charge for consumables during the "FREE" services.

If they make it free, then it would increase the price of the vehicle. The cost would be compounded by excise duty, state VAT, registration charges, etc.

Ford provides 2 free services for Ecosport. The 1st is 3 months or 2,500 Km (whichever is earlier), and second at 1 year or 10,000 Km (whichever is earlier). There are no consumables during the 1st service.
risga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:27   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post

If you compare it with the driving pleasure that a diesel or an Ecoboost engine gives you'll be disappointed. Just TD the vehicle and you'll spot the difference. But, if you prefer driving with a cool head, its made for you then.
You can have a look at the small review of my 1.5L Petrol I've posted in this thread.

Cheers !
Turbo lag and the 30sec idling rule are two things that made me stay away from the TDCi and ecoboost.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 11:30   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Turbo lag and the 30sec idling rule are two things that made me stay away from the TDCi and ecoboost.
Isn't that true with ALL Turbo vehicles?
roy_libran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 14:38   #6517
BHPian

Quote:
No offense on your belief, but after driving 7000 km of my 1.5L manual transmission I've figured out that the responsiveness and peppiness of a diesel or an Ecoboost is lacking in the 1.5L Petrol (Manual Transmission).
While driving a diesel, at least you know, that after crossing 1800-2000 RPM you'll get the turbo so you shift the gears accordingly to keep up with it, but in case of a 1.5L Petrol, the torque is just about constant with just a slight increase after 3000 RPM, it goes for the cool heads but not for me.

PS: No offence to anybody with a 1.5L Petrol Manual Transmission, its just my opinion !!!
the13thtee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 14:43   #6518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I thought of changing my engine oil at my first service, but didn't, since I'd done only about 2000 kms and the car was just 10 weeks old. I intend to do it in another month or two, when the car will be 6 months old, and has about 4000-5000 km on the odo, especially since I'll view the engine as being fully run in by then.

How much has your car run, and how many months since purchase? It might not be a financially prudent decision to change it too early.

Although if you wish to change the oil for peace of mind, that is also fine, nothing wrong in that (and quite a few people swear by this). Just a couple of points:
  • Seeing you've got the EcoBoost, do let me know the brand & specification of engine oil that Ford's ASS use, and take your manual along to confirm they're putting in what's prescribed (Castrol 5W-20).
  • Also, ensure that the oil filter is changed at the same time as the oil. The quantity of oil to fill in is 4.1L when you change the oil filter (without the oil filter change it requires only 4L). For billing and convenience, Ford's ASS might opt to just do the 4L job without replacing the oil filter - be firm and ensure they do it to your requirements. I'd also suggest you pay for 5L of new oil, and keep the additional 900 ml for your personal use, rather than let them use 4 x 1L bottles and source 100 ml from some dubious source.
Hi Arun, got the car serviced yesterday through Ford's Quick Service option. Car had done 2400 kms and was bought in Nov'13. Did not change the oil as I felt it would be better to change after 4000ģ-5000 kms or 6 months whichever comes earlier.

Sorry I read your post after I came back home so could not check the engine oil brand and how it was handled.
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 14:51   #6519
Team-BHP Support

Anyone here with a diesel Ecosport noticing excessive black smoke on acceleration or downshifting? Sedate driving is ok but once I cross 2,500 rpm and push it a little, I can see the smoke being thrown into the cars behind me.

First service coming up so wanted to get this issue fixed.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 15:23   #6520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post

No offense on your belief, but after driving 7000 km of my 1.5L manual transmission I've figured out that the responsiveness and peppiness of a diesel or an Ecoboost is lacking in the 1.5L Petrol (Manual Transmission).
While driving a diesel, at least you know, that after crossing 1800-2000 RPM you'll get the turbo so you shift the gears accordingly to keep up with it, but in case of a 1.5L Petrol, the torque is just about constant with just a slight increase after 3000 RPM, it goes for the cool heads but not for me.

PS: No offence to anybody with a 1.5L Petrol Manual Transmission, its just my opinion !!!
During the wait for my 1.5P, on the SA's advice test drove the diesel three times. Each time I really hoped I would like it. Every time I came back disappointed. I am sure with time I would have got get used to the lag, or might have started enjoying it. But the thought that I have to pay a lakh more for some turbo lag and the idle nuisance put me off.

Not that I like the 1.5P now. I sometimes feel that there is a sort of "turbo lag" below 2000rpm. Only after 2k, things get moving. I really hope that a good remap can solve it.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 15:47   #6521
BHPian

Quote:
But the thought that I have to pay a lakh more for some turbo lag and the idle nuisance put me off.
The extra 1 lac is not just for the sake of "Turbo". People having running more than 1500 KM per month, prefer a diesel so that the payback period is less (2-3 years) after which a diesel car actually becomes economical than the Petrol Sister. Today, this is the main reason behind people buying a diesel car, driving pleasure comes second on the check-list for most of the prospective buyers.

Quote:
I sometimes feel that there is a sort of "turbo lag" below 2000rpm. Only after 2k, things get moving. I really hope that a good remap can solve it.
. I'm concerned about the same issue. Do let me know if you come across a solution.
the13thtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 15:55   #6522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyone here with a diesel Ecosport noticing excessive black smoke on acceleration or downshifting? Sedate driving is ok but once I cross 2,500 rpm and push it a little, I can see the smoke being thrown into the cars behind me.

First service coming up so wanted to get this issue fixed.

Hey Vid6639,

Recently some of my friends have pointed out to me that they are noticing black smoke during hard acceleration (post 2500 rpm).

I was thinking black smoke is normal for diesels during hard acceleration as I have seen similar thing happen to vento and other cars too.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 16:08   #6523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Hey Vid6639,

Recently some of my friends have pointed out to me that they are noticing black smoke during hard acceleration (post 2500 rpm).

I was thinking black smoke is normal for diesels during hard acceleration as I have seen similar thing happen to vento and other cars too.
No. Not at all. I had the Figo before this and there was never any smoke till redline.

Black smoke is usually due to less air and more diesel resulting in unburnt diesel. I'll ask to get the air filter cleaned but my car is only at 2,500kms so I doubt it is the air filter.

I have seen this black smoke on a few Ecosports now on the road but this should definitely not be normal.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 16:32   #6524
BHPian

Quote:
No. Not at all. I had the Figo before this and there was never any smoke till redline.

Black smoke is usually due to less air and more diesel resulting in unburnt diesel. I'll ask to get the air filter cleaned but my car is only at 2,500kms so I doubt it is the air filter.

I have seen this black smoke on a few Ecosports now on the road but this should definitely not be normal.
My cousin owns a Polo diesel and I have seen smoke coming out in a fashion similar to diesel engines of the trains when he accelerates hard in the first gear. And quite a few Vernas that overtake me in a jiffy, fume black smoke in the same manner.
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 16:36   #6525
BHPian

Quote:

It can be the cold-starting problem due to the glow plug,when the chamber is not hot enough, leaving un-burnt diesel. Does it happen even after running the engine for more than 30 minutes?

If its not the air filter or the glow plug, may be the injector is at fault.

I just checked the coolant of my car, I don't know how any why did it go below the minimum level mark. ODO reads just about 7000 km.

Last edited by the13thtee : 13th February 2014 at 16:40.
the13thtee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote