Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:08   #7456
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,819 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
I am veering towards - EcoBoost and Titanium or Titanium (O) at that.
In couple of posts - there was a reference to Downshifting a lot for In-City driving for EcoBoost, just curious - is it with the Car or Driving style..road conditions.,
I drive Getz GLS - 1.3 P, very solid car, but NOT Peppy and with a heavy steering in city driving,
I feel, I should go for something which is more quicker than Getz, and definitely with a lighter steering,,
Hello Hemant,
As you'll see in my signature, I own a Getz 1.3 and an EcoSport EcoBoost.

If ever there is one criticism of the EcoBoost's gearbox, it would be this: The 2nd gear is geared too high:
  • When you cross a speed-breaker, you cannot easily take off in second, you need to wait for the turbo to spool up in 1-2 seconds since the rpm will have dropped below 1500 rpm
  • Conversely, you can hit 80 km/h in second at just 5000 rpm
I really believe Ford should have geared the 2nd gear lower, since 3rd is also equally powerful for building up a lot of speed in a hurry.

The Getz is very torquey, and that makes you drive it in a very chilled out way - and the torque helps you pull away in 2nd or 3rd compared to other hatchbacks. You'll definitely notice a difference compared to the Getz if you go for the EcoBoost engine.

I still regularly use my Getz in the city, and in terms of engine tractability in traffic, the Getz still holds its own or even outshines the EcoBoost.

However, on a clear stretch of road, the EcoBoost really comes alive and outstrips the Getz.

General opinion is the 1.5P manual is pleasant to drive - while it won't thrill you outright (like the 1.6P in the Classic or the EcoBoost), its a very competent & fuss-free engine.

Sadly, I've not driven the 1.5P MT, so I cannot offer any comparison between that and the EcoBoost.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:22   #7457
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
If ever there is one criticism of the EcoBoost's gearbox, it would be this: The 2nd gear is geared too high:
This, I have come to see in a lot of cars. The reason why they do it is to get better 0-100kmph timings during reviews. To avoid a gear change to third, they try to achieve 100kmph in the second gear itself, because the time taken to change the gear to third will degrade the 0-100 timing.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:43   #7458
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 144
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
General opinion is the 1.5P manual is pleasant to drive - while it won't thrill you outright (like the 1.6P in the Classic or the EcoBoost), its a very competent & fuss-free engine.

Sadly, I've not driven the 1.5P MT, so I cannot offer any comparison between that and the EcoBoost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post
. The Ecoboost also claims to be about 10-15% more fuel efficient than it 1.5 TIVCT. But given the fact that my daily commute is around 11kms in city traffic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
Thinking I will go for another test drive - Diesel - My current running does not justify a diesel, and had made up my mind to go for Petrol, But, am now in dual mind - to go for Diesel. The initial 1 lakh or bit more investment is not much of a concern, but, am thinking - if its justified
Hi, i own a 1.5P for almost 10 months now (shame! that i haven't been able to write a good review so far). I can confirm the following :

1. It is indeed pleasure to drive. It doesn't feel slow in most situations (including normal speed overtakes) however one has to really strain the engine to overtake on steep/hilly roads. If one intends to use it in city and NHs then it wouldn't disappoint

2. Slowest of the lot - True when compared to the 1.5D and ecoboost it is slower

3. Most efficient from the lot - surprising but true; mine consistently delivers 17-18 kmpl (best 21kmpl so far) in city driving conditions whereas most diesel users are at 14-15kmpl. Ecoboost numbers are much lower - SC guys tell me its in the range of 10 -12 kmpl

I was in the same love me(petrol) - love me not(diesel) situation while booking the vehicle. To decide, i had put a spreadsheet comparing ROI at 14kmpl on petrol vs 16 kmpl on diesel - with 1200 kms/month use i was breaking even( if i were to chose diesel) in the 5th year hence decided to go for petrol.

I absolutely love the car; efficiency numbers keep reassuring me of my decision to buy 1.5P

Happy to answer any questions
Rajiv0909 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:37   #7459
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 72
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
3. Most efficient from the lot - surprising but true; mine consistently delivers 17-18 kmpl (best 21kmpl so far) in city driving conditions whereas most diesel users are at 14-15kmpl. Ecoboost numbers are much lower - SC guys tell me its in the range of 10 -12 kmpl
You are getting 17-18kmpl how is that possible? I drive an ecoboost and i get around 13-14kmpl. My driving is mostly on the highways in ratio 70:30. Its excellent if you are getting such a good mileage.
sidenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:42   #7460
BHPian
 
ToyotaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Meerut
Posts: 313
Thanked: 155 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
. Most efficient from the lot - surprising but true; mine consistently delivers 17-18 kmpl (best 21kmpl so far) in city driving conditions whereas most diesel users are at 14-15kmpl. Ecoboost numbers are much lower - SC guys tell me its in the range of 10 -12 kmpl
17-18 in city? Have you calculated those figures by tankful method? Look unbelievable. If true it certainly makes a great case for itself.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:09   #7461
BHPian
 
shivkumar19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
3. Most efficient from the lot - surprising but true; mine consistently delivers 17-18 kmpl (best 21kmpl so far) in city driving conditions whereas most diesel users are at 14-15kmpl. Ecoboost numbers are much lower - SC guys tell me its in the range of 10 -12 kmpl
I too drive a 1.5p manual and the mileage indicator has never crossed 9.9kmpl
95% city driving and A/C all the time 2700 kms done, fuel shell high grade always.

But all this pain disappears when my black panther gets all the attention on the road.

Last edited by shivkumar19 : 23rd June 2014 at 14:15. Reason: added the word manual
shivkumar19 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:36   #7462
BHPian
 
Hemant_Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 219
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
As you'll see in my signature, I own a Getz 1.3 and an EcoSport EcoBoost.

If ever there is one criticism of the EcoBoost's gearbox, it would be this: The 2nd gear is geared too high:
  • When you cross a speed-breaker, you cannot easily take off in second, you need to wait for the turbo to spool up in 1-2 seconds since the rpm will have dropped below 1500 rpm
  • Conversely, you can hit 80 km/h in second at just 5000 rpm
I really believe Ford should have geared the 2nd gear lower, since 3rd is also equally powerful for building up a lot of speed in a hurry.

The Getz is very torquey, and that makes you drive it in a very chilled out way - and the torque helps you pull away in 2nd or 3rd compared to other hatchbacks. You'll definitely notice a difference compared to the Getz if you go for the EcoBoost engine.

I still regularly use my Getz in the city, and in terms of engine tractability in traffic, the Getz still holds its own or even outshines the EcoBoost.

However, on a clear stretch of road, the EcoBoost really comes alive and outstrips the Getz.

General opinion is the 1.5P manual is pleasant to drive - while it won't thrill you outright (like the 1.6P in the Classic or the EcoBoost), its a very competent & fuss-free engine.

Sadly, I've not driven the 1.5P MT, so I cannot offer any comparison between that and the EcoBoost.
Hai Arun,
Thanks for addressing the Getz VS EcoSports in City driving conditions - that helps,,
I am not any expert to understand finer nuances of different cars,, I really take time to get to know things. A few KMS of Test drive cannot be adequate to judge/differentiate for me,,

I Could not test drive 1.5 P MT, And there are NOT many reviews of same here.
Was not comfortable with Diesel - its my problem - not used to Diesel and the test drive did not last more than 3 KMS, taking another shot in next week or so, before deciding - will defnitely be a longer test drive..
Wifey is adamant on going for Diesel this time,


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Hi, i own a 1.5P for almost 10 months now (shame! that i haven't been able to write a good review so far). I can confirm the following :

1. It is indeed pleasure to drive. It doesn't feel slow in most situations (including normal speed overtakes) however one has to really strain the engine to overtake on steep/hilly roads. If one intends to use it in city and NHs then it wouldn't disappoint

2. Slowest of the lot - True when compared to the 1.5D and ecoboost it is slower

3. Most efficient from the lot - surprising but true; mine consistently delivers 17-18 kmpl (best 21kmpl so far) in city driving conditions whereas most diesel users are at 14-15kmpl. Ecoboost numbers are much lower - SC guys tell me its in the range of 10 -12 kmpl

I was in the same love me(petrol) - love me not(diesel) situation while booking the vehicle. To decide, i had put a spreadsheet comparing ROI at 14kmpl on petrol vs 16 kmpl on diesel - with 1200 kms/month use i was breaking even( if i were to chose diesel) in the 5th year hence decided to go for petrol.

I absolutely love the car; efficiency numbers keep reassuring me of my decision to buy 1.5P

Happy to answer any questions
One of very members with 1.5 Petrol MT, Please provide a brief write up, if not a review. Not much feedback on the real world FE of Ecosport 1.5 Petrol,
Also, a general FE of 11/12 - either for 1.5 P - MT or Ecoboost is a concern for me,, My Getz never returned more than 11, and I am expecting atleast 13/14 from my new car.

17/18 KMPL is super efficient., seriously You must either drive extremely well to extract that kind of average, or, something special with your particular car,

Will work on the comparison Excel - have downloaded from TBHP and Zigwheels,,
Hemant_Joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:13   #7463
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 144
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
17-18 in city? Have you calculated those figures by tankful method? Look unbelievable. If true it certainly makes a great case for itself.
Tankful;Tank almost empty and through OBD+torque app - have tried all 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivkumar19 View Post
I too drive a 1.5p manual and the mileage indicator has never crossed 9.9kmpl
95% city driving and A/C all the time 2700 kms done, fuel shell high grade always.

But all this pain disappears when my black panther gets all the attention on the road.
This pain would disappear with time (miles). I started with 11 kmpl @ 99% AC; it started inching upwards after 6000 kms. In the interim please try tankful method as the default indicators could be misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
One of very members with 1.5 Petrol MT, Please provide a brief write up, if not a review. Not much feedback on the real world FE of Ecosport 1.5 Petrol,
Also, a general FE of 11/12 - either for 1.5 P - MT or Ecoboost is a concern for me,, My Getz never returned more than 11, and I am expecting atleast 13/14 from my new car.

17/18 KMPL is super efficient., seriously You must either drive extremely well to extract that kind of average, or, something special with your particular car,

Will work on the comparison Excel - have downloaded from TBHP and Zigwheels,,
I don't believe it could be due to driving skills; our city (Pune) doesn't provide opportunity to experiment

The only thing different about my car has been the use of tires - over the 15K kms that i have done on ecosport, i have had the opportunity to try 3 different tire variations : 15/195/65 (MRF) ; 16/215/60 (Bridgestone) and 16/205/60 (Goodyear).

Last edited by GTO : 24th June 2014 at 16:11. Reason: SMS language
Rajiv0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:46   #7464
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Hi, i own a 1.5P for almost 10 months now (shame! that i haven't been able to write a good review so far). I can confirm the following :
Incredible Mileage! My ES AT has crossed 5000kms and gives 11km/litre consistently in the city with full time AC. Highway mileage is 16km/litre again with full AC. No where near your figures.

If one is looking for ES for driving around in the city, look no further than 1.5P version - it will be the most pleasurable to drive. For mixed use and high mileage go for 1.5D. For performance on highways - go for Ecoboost.
Anuraj Ennai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 10:38   #7465
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivkumar19 View Post
mileage indicator has never crossed 9.9kmpl
95% city driving and A/C all the time 2700 kms done, fuel shell high grade always.
I am pretty sure, your fuel is the culprit here. Most people would disagree with what I am saying but I always get poorer mileage on Shell Premium/ Speed and the likes (on different vehicles).
ff1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 17:00   #7466
BHPian
 
Hemant_Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 219
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Thankyou for summing up,
Will go for another test drive this weekend, plan to book by 1st week of July. Mostly Diesel 1.5 MT Titanium, promised delivery is 45 to 60 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuraj Ennai View Post
If one is looking for ES for driving around in the city, look no further than 1.5P version - it will be the most pleasurable to drive. For mixed use and high mileage go for 1.5D. For performance on highways - go for Ecoboost.
Hemant_Joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 17:55   #7467
BHPian
 
the13thtee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 48 Times
Arrow Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
3. Most efficient from the lot - surprising but true; mine consistently delivers 17-18 kmpl (best 21kmpl so far) in city driving conditions whereas most diesel users are at 14-15kmpl. Ecoboost numbers are much lower - SC guys tell me its in the range of 10 -12 kmpl
What?

I've been driving my Ecosport 1.5 P Manual Transmission since August last year, done >11000 kms. The best mileage I've got is a bit more than 14 kmpl on highways without the AC turned on and speeds <100 kmph without redlining the engine with 3-4 passengers and a decent luggage (tank full to tank full method quite a few times). In city, the mileage on an average is 12-13 kmpl with/without the AC turned on.

Moreover, Ford claims the ARAI figures for the 1.5P as 15.8 kmpl. I believe there are two cases.

Case 1: Either your driving style is too good (better than the ARAI testing technique). In that case I recommend offering your Ecosport to Ford India for a test of exceptional mileage.

Case 2: Or the app/method you are using might have some bugs.

My advice while driving a 1.5 P manual? The AC kills the pick up. Keep it revving above 2000 RPM and you'll be , otherwise trust me, you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by the13thtee : 24th June 2014 at 17:58.
the13thtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 18:39   #7468
BHPian
 
techfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Leh
Posts: 273
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Just adding to the petrol comparison my Ecoboost is giving me 14.5kmpl steady on highway and about 12.5-13 kmpl in city , have driven about 7k km. I am not a sedate driver and highway speeds are in the region of 110-120 kmph. Only care I take is my accelerations are gentle, I hardly floor the throttle.
But believe me Ecoboost is a hoot to drive on the highway.

Another query, I am in-between my drive from Odissa to Leh. I need to to do my 2nd service enroute. Can anyone tell me how much time it takes to do the second service, will help me plan my itenary. Thanks.
techfreak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 18:52   #7469
BHPian
 
sharninder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Goon-Gaon
Posts: 342
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Just adding to the petrol comparison my Ecoboost is giving me 14.5kmpl steady on highway and about 12.5-13 kmpl in city , have driven about 7k km. I am not a sedate driver and highway speeds are in the region of 110-120 kmph. Only care I take is my accelerations are gentle, I hardly floor the throttle.
But believe me Ecoboost is a hoot to drive on the highway.

Another query, I am in-between my drive from Odissa to Leh. I need to to do my 2nd service enroute. Can anyone tell me how much time it takes to do the second service, will help me plan my itenary. Thanks.
If you reach early enough, the service per se doesn't take too long. You should be done in about 3-4 hours, say 9am-1pm. The second service is a general checkup, oil change and wheel alignment as far as I remember. Unless, you have specific complaints, shouldn't take too long.
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 11:39   #7470
BHPian
 
the13thtee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 48 Times
Arrow Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Can anyone tell me how much time it takes to do the second service, will help me plan my itenary. Thanks.
It depends on where you get it done. If it is a metro city and its a weekend, getting your car serviced (that too without a booking) will be a nightmare. Prefer a weekday and/or a ASS that is in the outskirts of a metro. The washing, polishing, engine oil & filter change, cleaning of air filter & general check-up will be done in less than 4 hours if there is no waiting time.
the13thtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks