Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 19th August 2014, 16:13   #7846
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop_SG View Post
I am prepared to take the same route but am willing to give them one more chance. What exactly was the issue with your car - any inputs regarding the same would be of great help.
My car started showing engine malfunction light after 20 days of its ownership. The warning light used to come anytime while driving the vehicle and would go after i restart the car. The service centre couldn't diagnose any error. They told to they could only diagnose when the light is on while diagnosing. So once i did that and they got an error of accelerator pedal sensor and 2-3 other errors related to sensors.
They updated the ECU software and cleared the error log and told me that it wouldn't happen again and returned my car.
In the meantime one more error popped up of steering wheel malfunction and the car refused to start. After a technician came to my house the car started and the error vanished again.
A few days after the engine malfunction light popped up again, so i went to the service centre again (this was my 5th visit for this same problem), they told that they will contact Ford Hotline and coordinate with technical engineer and solve the problem. So they kept the car again for 4-5 days.
But before taking delivery i tested the car and it again popped up. This time i made up my mind that will go the legal way now.
After getting the letter from consumer forum Ford send a technician from Chennai plant and that guy checked the car and decided to change the whole wiring in the dashboard that connects to the ECU and all the sensors. It was 2 boxes full of wiring.
Since then the car is working properly.

Hope this helps you in some way or the other.

Siddhant
sidenzo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 16:16   #7847
BHPian

Completed a 8350 KM ladakh drive in Ecosport. Ground clearance was of great help and did not scrape the under-body even once. The engine felt under-powered and the vehicle was responding only after 2k in the ladakh valley(Most of the diesels have this problem). Highway comfort was excellent.
Returned a FE of 17KMPL for the entire trip with 60% AC On.
The fuel meter gave a scare near kargil when it showed half tank when the tank was actually full, apart from that no issues. MRFs were good on the bad roads but performance was average on inclines with Tarmac.
Will come up with a travelogue with full details soon.
sunilg33 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 16:19   #7848
BHPian

Hello,

Please suggest where to get good quality IND number plates for my EcoSport in Bangalore. I say "good quality" because I have seen varying finish and look on different occasions on many cars.

Also, are HSNP plates available in Bangalore? If yes, how to go about it?

Thanks.
pc1686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 16:31   #7849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc1686 View Post
Hello,

Please suggest where to get good quality IND number plates for my EcoSport in Bangalore. I say "good quality" because I have seen varying finish and look on different occasions on many cars.

Also, are HSNP plates available in Bangalore? If yes, how to go about it?

Thanks.
I got them from JC Road for 700Rs. Quality is descent enough.

Regarding HSNP: The ones available are fake ones as its not been made mandatory yet in bangalore. Once its made mandatory we have to buy them directly from the RTO itself and not from any third party.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 17:12   #7850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
The fuel meter gave a scare near kargil when it showed half tank when the tank was actually full, apart from that no issues.
This happens to me often. A full tank shows 3/4 of the tank, half tank shows as a quarter tank; not regularly though. It adjusts by itself or sometimes on the next ignition key ON.

I presume it is the fuel sender in the tank but i decided to report it to Ford ASC later in the next service.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 17:22   #7851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
This happens to me often. A full tank shows 3/4 of the tank, half tank shows as a quarter tank; not regularly though. It adjusts by itself or sometimes on the next ignition key ON.

I presume it is the fuel sender in the tank but i decided to report it to Ford ASC later in the next service.
Do switch off the engine the next time you re-fuel. I've noticed, that if you refill with the engine running, the fuel meter never shows a full tank but if the engine is switched off the indication is quite accurate.
rookieraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 18:32   #7852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
My car started showing engine malfunction light after 20 days of its ownership. The warning light used to come anytime while driving the vehicle and would go after i restart the car. The service centre couldn't diagnose any error. They told to they could only diagnose when the light is on while diagnosing. So once i did that and they got an error of accelerator pedal sensor and 2-3 other errors related to sensors.
They updated the ECU software and cleared the error log and told me that it wouldn't happen again and returned my car.
In the meantime one more error popped up of steering wheel malfunction and the car refused to start. After a technician came to my house the car started and the error vanished again.
A few days after the engine malfunction light popped up again, so i went to the service centre again (this was my 5th visit for this same problem), they told that they will contact Ford Hotline and coordinate with technical engineer and solve the problem. So they kept the car again for 4-5 days.
But before taking delivery i tested the car and it again popped up. This time i made up my mind that will go the legal way now.
After getting the letter from consumer forum Ford send a technician from Chennai plant and that guy checked the car and decided to change the whole wiring in the dashboard that connects to the ECU and all the sensors. It was 2 boxes full of wiring.
Since then the car is working properly.

Hope this helps you in some way or the other.

Siddhant
Thanks sidenzo,

It seems to have something to do with the wiring / electrical system. Will wait for a few more instances before taking any drastic measures. The uncertainity of whether the car will fire up or not every time I turn the key is the only turn off.
Anoop_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 19:12   #7853
Senior - BHPian

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before - Engine wont be switched off in ecosport with push button start even if the key isnt inside the cabin. If the car is switched off and the key is taken away, the car wont start but if the key is taken away and the car isnt switched off, then the car will drive off.

My cousin drove the car for 60 kms, switched off the car and then realized he didnt have the key. Since the key isnt present, the car cant be locked. But called up the service station and they guided him on how to manually lock the car. But car wont start without the key. He had to bring the key back to the car to get it started.

So look out for this scenario!
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 22:55   #7854
Team-BHP Support

Here in India the Ecosport seems to be a favourite and a very good overall package whereas the guys at UK seem to be really disgusted by Ford's attempt at the compact SUV.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/teste...ue-oval-astray

It is quite understandably actually. Look at the competition the Ecosport has in UK, Nissan Juke, Renault Captur, Mini Countryman, Vauxhall Mokka, Kia Soul, CitroŽn C4 Cactus, Peugeot 2008 and the Dacia Duster!!

Vs the above list the Ecosport is seriously lacking. Actually most of the points are not wrong. The minus points which we can live with are complete deal breakers in UK. Stuff like hard plastics, smaller boot space, average diesel engine are better than most cars in India but vs the competition in UK it is well below par.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 00:15   #7855
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Vs the above list the Ecosport is seriously lacking. Actually most of the points are not wrong. The minus points which we can live with are complete deal breakers in UK. Stuff like hard plastics, smaller boot space, average diesel engine are better than most cars in India but vs the competition in UK it is well below par.
I thought the ride and handing package is regarded as one of the best in the indian industry but this review criticizes even that. A terrible diesel engine which is considered par for the course in india. Autocar India went gaga over the ecosport and it's sister production bashes it from all corners. Indian market still lacks in offering its customers the choices that are on offer in the west. I think it's time for manufacturers to wake up and get their latest models to India rather than continuing with age old workhorses.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 09:19   #7856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
... the guys at UK seem to be really disgusted by Ford's attempt at the compact SUV.

It is quite understandably actually. Look at the competition the Ecosport has in UK, Nissan Juke, Renault Captur, Mini Countryman, Vauxhall Mokka, Kia Soul, CitroŽn C4 Cactus, Peugeot 2008 and the Dacia Duster!!

Stuff like hard plastics, smaller boot space, average diesel engine are better than most cars in India but vs the competition in UK it is well below par.
Let's not forget that the Ecosport clocks in at less than 4 meters, whereas all the models listed above are over 4.1 m. That would undoubtedly free up more boot and interior space.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 12:44   #7857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I thought the ride and handing package is regarded as one of the best in the indian industry but this review criticizes even that. A terrible diesel engine which is considered par for the course in india. Autocar India went gaga over the ecosport and it's sister production bashes it from all corners. Indian market still lacks in offering its customers the choices that are on offer in the west. I think it's time for manufacturers to wake up and get their latest models to India rather than continuing with age old workhorses.
What incentive do the manufacturers have to improve? The current models are still selling like hotcakes. Even home grown manufacturers like Maruti have much better equipment level and quality for their export models. During a recent trip, I saw numerous Swifts in Amsterdam and, though I didn't sit in any, from the outside, the quality did look better.
sharninder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 12:51   #7858
Senior - BHPian

Have been sitting in the sidelines for a few months now reading up all that is said about the Ecosport. Yes the time has finally come to go for one as choosing this ride was a foregone conclusion citing all the obvious positives that our fellow members have talked about before.

Have a few quick questions to guage the current situation if anyone has recently bought or been to the dealerships -

1. What is the onroad price of Titanium and Titanium (O) both diesels in Bangalore?

2. What is the waiting period in Bangalore dealerships for the above trims?

3. Which one of the above trim is recommended and why?
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 12:53   #7859
BHPian

In competitive scenario, manufacturers are trying to make one product for all markets and sell it. Where manufacturers suffer is that requirements and expectations are different in different markets. Some models may find success and some may not. This is what might be happening to Ford Ecosport in UK. Europeans (VW, Renault) build for European markets and bring the vehicle to Indian market. And we all know how we feel about the ergonomics of these vehicles. Similarly, UK would feel the boot space is small and not at all appreciate sub 4m achievement . Making a product that meets the expectations of all markets is very challenging and to keep within the cost expectations is even more!
Vahanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 13:09   #7860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post

1. What is the onroad price of Titanium and Titanium (O) both diesels in Bangalore?
As per recent ownership report the on road price of Titanium (O) is 12.2 lakhs.

Quote:
2. What is the waiting period in Bangalore dealerships for the above trims?
Not sure of the waiting status now but I read it has reduced to couple of months for the diesels.

Quote:
3. Which one of the above trim is recommended and why?
If your budget allows then for sure the Titanium (O). You get the start/stop and true keyless entry along with 6 airbags and leather seats.

That said the Titanium itself is pretty nicely specced and you won't really miss out on a lot except for the additional airbags.

Looking at the price increases check if the ex-showroom price of the Titanium (O) has crossed 10L in bangalore. If it has then there is an additional 30-40K down the drain on road tax. In which case the Titanium makes more sense over the Titanium (O).

If the Ex-showroom of the Titanium (O) was above 10L I would not have opted for it and instead gone for the Titanium.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote