Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2014, 02:23   #8176
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,901
Thanked: 2,923 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Exactly the same in the eco sport but couldn't reach or see the fuse box behind too well. Maybe I am too large sized to manage the task.
You opened the glove box to its limit,then pressed the two curvy bits inside till they popped out? And then let the front go all the way down
I'm surprised,if it's still the same, why you aren't able to get to it.
I was looking at a few pictures of the Eco's glovebox, and I think you're supposed to press inside to clear the two tabs protruding on the outside, the red arrows.
Could be wrong, though. Plausible deniability claimed, please.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-sketch1414269907464.jpg  

mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 11:39   #8177
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You opened the glove box to its limit,then pressed the two curvy bits inside till they popped out? And then let the front go all the way down
I'm surprised,if it's still the same, why you aren't able to get to it.
I was looking at a few pictures of the Eco's glovebox, and I think you're supposed to press inside to clear the two tabs protruding on the outside, the red arrows.
Could be wrong, though. Plausible deniability claimed, please.
congratulations exactly what I did the mess of cables behind does not give a clear access to the fusebox through the narrow gap. The upper shelf sort of comes in the way.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 12:29   #8178
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,817 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
the mess of cables behind does not give a clear access to the fusebox through the narrow gap. The upper shelf sort of comes in the way.
Per the instructions, you're supposed to remove four screws to them remove the upper shelf. Did you try that?
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 18:07   #8179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 477
Thanked: 440 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuraj Ennai View Post
Ride with a light foot - In D mode upshifts happen at around 2500 rpm. When you start try to get to 2500rpm quickly - this would take the car to 3rd or 4th by the time you cross 40kmph and 5th by 60kmph. After that try to keep the rpm under 2000. You should ideally get a city mileage of 11km/litre.

On highway, use of triptronic is recommended. Car slots into 6th gear by the time you cross 80kmph. 120kmph comes in 6th gear around 2500 rpm - that means there is enough juice left, but 6th gear is too tall to use it.
Went for the first long drive from Pune to Khopoli and back today. On the way to lonavala I did not notice 6th getting engaged at all, and 100 used to come at about 3000 RPM. I tried keeping it in L and then upshifting to 6th, even here as soon as sped came to 85 or below there was a down shift to 5th.Even in the Ghat gears upto 5th were being engaged depending on load it was mostly 4th and 5th with a down shift to 3rd below Amrutanjan bridge. On the return I noticed 6th being engaged at about 85 kph with RPM dropping to just above 2000. Any thing more than a feather touch to the accelerator encouraged a downshift to 5th, and RPM shooting up. Shifting from D to S on the run also caused one down shift from 6 to 5 or 5 to 4, in gears upto 4th there was no downshifting while changing modes.
Instantaneous km/L was hovering half way between 15 and 30 at speeds of 60-90, and just above 15 at 90 and also speeds below 60. MID is now showing 10.1 up from 8.5 when I started. Any way to reset it while fueling up.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 22:07   #8180
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Per the instructions, you're supposed to remove four screws to them remove the upper shelf. Did you try that?
Couldn't find 4 screws to remove. There were 2 but they wouldn't budge looked like they had been opened earlier and had lost the edges. Maybe at a service?

Also the instructions in my manual do not mention the screws and instead say that the fuse box should be accessible after moving down the glow box beyond the two notches on the sides.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:00   #8181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 507
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Went for the first long drive from Pune to Khopoli and back today. On the way to lonavala I did not notice 6th getting engaged at all, and 100 used to come at about 3000 RPM. I tried keeping it in L and then upshifting to 6th, even here as soon as sped came to 85 or below there was a down shift to 5th.Even in the Ghat gears upto 5th were being engaged depending on load it was mostly 4th and 5th with a down shift to 3rd below Amrutanjan bridge. On the return I noticed 6th being engaged at about 85 kph with RPM dropping to just above 2000. Any thing more than a feather touch to the accelerator encouraged a downshift to 5th, and RPM shooting up. Shifting from D to S on the run also caused one down shift from 6 to 5 or 5 to 4, in gears upto 4th there was no downshifting while changing modes.
Instantaneous km/L was hovering half way between 15 and 30 at speeds of 60-90, and just above 15 at 90 and also speeds below 60. MID is now showing 10.1 up from 8.5 when I started. Any way to reset it while fueling up.

Rahul
I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 Duratec-manual. My experience, with 2 people & luggage on board, is that it runs at around 1800-1900 rpm at 80 kmph. Typically on highways I get 17-17.5 kmpl(with a/c) as long as I hold the rpms below 2000-2200. Anything beyond that and the average quickly plummets to around 12-13. On one particularly hard driven trip I managed only 8.5!

If one trades off a bit of acceleration time then keeping the rpms in the sweet band is quite easy. And yes - the vehicle prefers a feather touch on the accelerator.

As you are in Pune, we could do a comparitive highway run on some holiday.
sridhar-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:17   #8182
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,778
Thanked: 7,451 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
If one trades off a bit of acceleration time then keeping the rpms in the sweet band is quite easy. And yes - the vehicle prefers a feather touch on the accelerator.
I agree. Fusion was my previous car. It returned 14 with AC on a 4-lane highway when driven at just around three digit speeds. On 2-lane roads it used to yield 18-20. That made me think that I drove at about 80-90. Ideal speed for the best FE for the 1.6 Duratech. Amazing engine!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:31   #8183
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 Duratec-manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It returned 14 with AC on a 4-lane highway when driven at just around three digit speeds. On 2-lane roads it used to yield 18-20. That made me think that I drove at about 80-90. Ideal speed for the best FE for the 1.6 Duratech. Amazing engine!
What's this! Why is the 1.6 Duratec doing rounds on this thread? Rubbing salt on our wounds, eh?
We Ecosport-ers have to contend with the wheezy down-sized 1.5, which has no resemblance whatsoever, to the brilliance of the Duratec.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:41   #8184
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 477
Thanked: 440 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I have a Ford Fusion 1.6 Duratec-manual. My experience, with 2 people & luggage on board, is that it runs at around 1800-1900 rpm at 80 kmph. Typically on highways I get 17-17.5 kmpl(with a/c) as long as I hold the rpms below 2000-2200. Anything beyond that and the average quickly plummets to around 12-13. .................................................. ........................ And yes - the vehicle prefers a feather touch on the accelerator.

As you are in Pune, we could do a comparitive highway run on some holiday.
Being an automatic it doesn't prefer to upshift until it goes to 2500 RPM, and as soon as I come down below 2200 Rpm it down shifts and jumps to about 2800 Rpm. Keeping to S mode and upshifting early may be the only answer, but even here it down shifts to 5th from 6th when speed drops to about 75.

This car has been purchased basically for my dad, as a replacement to the Wagon-R he currently uses. Most of my own driving is in a Polo where I maintain RPM between 1200 and 1600 in city get 17km/lit in city and upto 23 if I keep below 90 outside. here 2000 Rpm comes at about 84.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:25   #8185
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Any way to reset it while fueling up.

Rahul
Press and hold the TRIP button on the left indicator stalk to reset the reading.
indusboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:31   #8186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 507
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
What's this! Why is the 1.6 Duratec doing rounds on this thread? Rubbing salt on our wounds, eh?
We Ecosport-ers have to contend with the wheezy down-sized 1.5, which has no resemblance whatsoever, to the brilliance of the Duratec.
Yup! The 1.6 Duratec is a brilliant engine and that is the reason why the fusion was a strong seller in Europe. Unfortunately it was introduced in India when we were all diesel crazy.

Looks like I will need to do a long test drive of the AT before finalising the booking (which keeps getting postponed time & again).
sridhar-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:38   #8187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 507
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Being an automatic it doesn't prefer to upshift until it goes to 2500 RPM, and as soon as I come down below 2200 Rpm it down shifts and jumps to about 2800 Rpm. Keeping to S mode and upshifting early may be the only answer, but even here it down shifts to 5th from 6th when speed drops to about 75.

This car has been purchased basically for my dad, as a replacement to the Wagon-R he currently uses. Most of my own driving is in a Polo where I maintain RPM between 1200 and 1600 in city get 17km/lit in city and upto 23 if I keep below 90 outside. here 2000 Rpm comes at about 84.

Rahul
Normally the Fusion is driven by our driver & mainly for short city trips. I usually take it only for long outstation trips. I have found that on the first day the engine response is not as I would like. Second day onwards it is exactly how I prefer. I guess the ecu readjusts the maps based on my driving style. Just a feeling & hunch.
Anyways it looks like the 1.5 is lacking in low & mid range torque. Possibly that is why you are in the 2500-3000 rpm range. Just have to grin & bear it I guess.
sridhar-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 15:33   #8188
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
MID is now showing 10.1 up from 8.5 when I started. Any way to reset it while fueling up.

Rahul
Keep the button that you use to toggle between MID screens pressed for 2-3 seconds till the Display resents to 0. Remember to do it for the Average speed and Trip kms also at the same time if you want it.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 19:22   #8189
BHPian
 
Dr.Abhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bathinda, Pb
Posts: 165
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

sorry bhpians for reporting late. recently I cherished my self driven trip to ladakh. we were two people with luggage for ten days. it was from 24th sept to 30 sept during which we visited khardung LA, hunder valley, pangong tso, shey palace, hemis monastery. the main point of posting here is my ecosport performed flawlessly on each and every terrain. its high ground clearance proved its bit and the car never bottomed though the roads were very unforgiving. diesel engine proved very tractable and never felt breathless whatever the altitude. the roads were generally good apart from bad patches here n there. the car gave an average of 16.8 kmpl for whole trip. the icing on the cake is we did return leg of leh to manali i.e 490 kms in one day and that too only mine 100% driving. we encountered one puncture at baralacha LA while returning but it was an experience to remember. after having dinner at manali we planned to return Punjab in night itself but sense prevailed and we called the day at manali. overall the car performed brilliantly on whole tour and one thing i can vouch for is its built quality. earlier I was a little apprehensive about its interior plastics and rattles but after rallying through the valleys, my car is still rattle proof, touch wood. may God help everyone to achieve his/ her dreams. now I have finally Leh'd.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20140929wa0010.jpg  

Dr.Abhi is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 19:37   #8190
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
overall the car performed brilliantly on whole tour and one thing i can vouch for is its built quality. earlier I was a little apprehensive about its interior plastics and rattles but after rallying through the valleys, my car is still rattle proof, touch wood. may God help everyone to achieve his/ her dreams. now I have finally Leh'd.
Congratulations.

The 15in tyres would have helped soften the drive on tough terrain vs the top end with 16in.
Also not having the spare Tyre cover would help in such terrain else it is a sure rattle spot besides making handling puncture situations a bit more convenient.

Pls do start a travelogue and post a lot more snaps.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks