Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:13   #8776
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 718 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
The biggest issue with the Ecosport is the lack of power; and the autobox trying to keep the car at a higher gear.

I could live with the hard suspension, light steering and mediocre headlights. But the engine is an absolute disappointment, and I can't seem to find a solution for that. If anybody is able to find ways to improve the power, even by 10%, please let me know.

BTW, I read in some other thread that Ford has already mated the Ecoboost engine to the Powershift gearbox. Does anybody have any idea whether Ford plans to put that in the Ecosport - perhaps in a face-lift version?

If it comes, I would not pause a moment to sell this one and book the new one. I pray it comes, cos I can't find a worthy alternative to the Ecosport at the moment.
Why don't you go in for a remap of the ECU? I'm sure it will take care of your requirements either partially or fully. Maybe some outfit like this -
http://www.udmotorx.com/cars/ford/ecosport/ecu-remap
(Mods - please delete link if it flouts any rules)
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:03   #8777
BHPian
 
roy_libran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 966
Thanked: 648 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Why don't you go in for a remap of the ECU? I'm sure it will take care of your requirements either partially or fully. Maybe some outfit like this -
http://www.udmotorx.com/cars/ford/ecosport/ecu-remap
(Mods - please delete link if it flouts any rules)
I don't think anyone has a Remap for the NA Petrol. I'd be delighted to be off the mark here.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:19   #8778
BHPian
 
WhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 827
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
A nice and honest review ! Few things i will like to add:
[*]Its unfair to compare a 1.3 Tonne crossover with lighter sedans having better aerodynamics.
Thank you for the words. Well, one of the cars I drive is just about 1.2 tonnes. Also, the engine has claimed bhp of 110. Cannot be this pony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
[*]If you want a fast AT at comparable price point, look no other than VW GT TSI.
This car cost north of 11 lakhs. A Vento/Rapid TDI DSG could also fit in along with City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I think, in general, a sedan like ride is out with a capital O if one is looking for ride comfort in this vehicle.
Matter of perspective. When I am looking at an SUV, first point that pops is great ride, say like a Pajero. Else, it is just a UV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Good points but they don't seem to match with majority so just putting some points from my side.
Thank you. It means I achieved what I intended to do. My intention was just to put what I felt, without watering down things to align with majority. I still remember an Autocar journo shouting, "fantastic" all along when they reviews Ecosport.
As I mentioned, my views would definitely be influenced by what I am used to.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:34   #8779
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,896 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thank you. It means I achieved what I intended to do. My intention was just to put what I felt, without watering down things to align with majority. I still remember an Autocar journo shouting, "fantastic" all along when they reviews Ecosport.
As I mentioned, my views would definitely be influenced by what I am used to.
Yes. Almost everyone reported the Ecosport ride as good but our review mentions it clearly as stiff ride nowhere close to Duster.

Where the mismatch was with respect to ride as pitching at the back. The ride is way too hard and there's no pitch at all. The problem is the stiff suspension which transmits everything.

I'm not sure if when you say pitching it's over bad roads? Pitching over undulating roads is what the Verna does. The Ecosport is exactly the opposite. Good composure on highway roads but very uncomfortable on bad roads.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 06:28   #8780
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 718 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post


Matter of perspective. When I am looking at an SUV, first point that pops is great ride, say like a Pajero. Else, it is just a UV.
Ouch! Surely ye jest? Those are exacting standards indeed! I reckon that would be a 'Bridge Too Far' for this little (10 lac) pretender, the pseudo SUV or hatch on stilts (as has been called nay reviled by many).

Last edited by wilful : 23rd April 2015 at 06:37.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:57   #8781
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Goa
Posts: 140
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: My DIY Scratch Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
What thinner did you use. Modern paints use 2K Thinner which I find quite strong and may remove the adjoining paint. I have been doing this touch up for many years but have not been able to level the touch up successfully.
Sorry, I didn't notice your message until now. It's ordinary automotive paint thinner available with all paint dealers (IIRC, I paid around Rs. 30/- for a 100 ml bottle a few months back) I'll post a photograph later today after I reach home.

Try using a lint free cloth wrapped around an old credit card like I did. 10~15 gentle strokes over the touch-up paint IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY should level it. Don't use the cloth directly as it will remove the touch-up paint more than necessary.


(Images courtesy Langka http://www.langka.com)
hemant.kamat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:57   #8782
BHPian
 
ssingri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Happened to drive/travel on EcoSport AT on Kochi to Bangalore. I am listing my impressions below. Hope this benefits the members.

Before you read- I drive Baleno and Verna 1.5 CRDI automatic. My perspective is definitely influenced by these cars I drive.

Quick impressions on the exterior- I like the look !!!



Handling- Handles like a car

Ride-
  • Okay at the front. Bad at rear. There is a constant sharp pitching movement at experienced at the back seat. Very annoying. Also sitting in the rear induced back and neck pain to me. I attribute that to the hard seat and the head rest.
  • Cannot handle undulations well. Not expected either.
  • Suspension cries when going over cuttings/edges on the road surface, such as flyover joints. I typically go flat out on my cars. I was expecting an SUV to handle these well.

Steering- Much is said about it. I found it precise. Good one here

Brakes- Good. Did a sudden braking maneuver (not intentional), with a bit of tire squeal. No issues. ABS did not kick in, which I liked. I assume the calibration is very well done.

Engine- One word. Disappointing!!!!
Our brand new car was running above 3000 rpm most of the time. To put its performance into perspective, do this test. Close your eyes and listen to the car. You'll hear a racy engine note, which only Ford can produce. You'd hear gearshifts as rpm drops and quickly winds up. Now open your eyes. What you'd see is that the car is moving at a lazy pace where everything else on the road is moving faster.

I drove the car the way I drive my automatic. I managed to extract more from the engine and the box by doing very light acceleration. However, there is no usable power band on this engine. Or you could market this engine by saying it has a flat power delivery!!!
Conclusion- This is not a car you'd use to go fast from point A to B

Gearbox- Much is written about its technical wizardry. Listing what I found

In D mode-
Box is slow in downshifting. It is another matter that the downshift won't reward you with much either.
One too many gearshifts- I attribute it to the engine's incapability to deliver anything useful.
On a sedate pedal, 6th gear is engaged around 120 KpH. It corresponds to 3000 rpm. Not useful. Attributed to engine's incapacity.
In S mode
Box downshifts when slowing down, so that there is no delay/gearshift when you accelerate again. Very useful.
Overall, it is a good box on a bad engine.

Other observations
  • I couldn't find the feeling of "fitting in" to the car while driving. It feel a bit alien, with blind spots and off positioning on dash and rear view mirrors. Nothing wrong as you might find that sweet position after sometime. Just wanted to note that this is not a car you'd gel in the moment you sit, say, like a Mitsubishi.
  • No Disk brakes at rear. Is it so for AT versions?
  • No engine cover. Is is a miss?

Feel free to comment. As there are not too many AT review available , I hope this helps. Thank you
On the ride I realized it rides better if you set the tyre pressure at 32psi something to do with the spring rate and tyres flexing. Wheras 28 and 30 psi give you a bumpy ride.

On the handling it handles like a car but does not give me confidence to change lanes like my baleno does. I would say what Baleno does at 120kmph the Ecosport will do at 90-95.

On the steering it is much better than other electric assisted steerings like the swift and Nissan Sunny that I have driven. Most other electric steerings have a peculiar stifness in the center.

On the engine and GB, is that they have a very unhappy marriage they make all the noises but dont get going anywhere.
On the neck pain I think it is related to the rear seat being too upright even in the most pushed back position. Dont even compare it to the Baleno's rear seat.
About fitting in, the blind spots are huge and makes you feel disoriented. The mirrors are fine, the secret is to be sitting up high and with a straight seat back. Exactly the reverse of my Baleno position. One arm rested on the armrest makes for a very relaxed crusising position.

PS: My engine sounds very noisy, I currently think the tappets might need to be set (done about 4000km).

Last edited by ssingri : 23rd April 2015 at 11:09. Reason: additional information
ssingri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:16   #8783
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 135
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Planing on booking a petrol ecosport for the family. What kind of real world city mileage can i expect. Mostly city traffic driven: for both the 1.5 NA petrol and the ecoboost? And hows the driveability of the ecoboost? Not able to get a petrol test drive anywhere,though ive driven the NA petrol owned by a friend. Im more keen on the ecoboost because of the higher power rating and much better rated mileage.
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:41   #8784
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Goa
Posts: 140
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
What kind of real world city mileage can i expect. Mostly city traffic driven: for both the 1.5 NA petrol and the ecoboost? And hows the driveability of the ecoboost?
Around 12~13 in city, 15~16 on highways, AC running. Didn't notice much difference between 1.5 Petrol & 1.0 Ecoboost in terms of fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
And hows the driveability of the ecoboost?
1.5 Petrol feels underpowered on highways but handles well in city driving; 1.0 Ecoboost has turbo lag in city bumper-to-bumper traffic but rocks on the highways (after 2000 rpm)
hemant.kamat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:00   #8785
BHPian
 
differential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

just got my ecosport diesel from the 20000km service. its been an enjoyable 1 yr with the ecosport.

the car is a lot smoother after the service. the car has been returning a constant 15 kmpl over a combination of city and highway runs. The ride is very good, though a bit on the firmer side. the GC is super when compared to my honda city which virtually scrapes anything above road level.

the service centre forgot to rreset the service indicator, but was quickly rectified over phone.

overall, happy with my orange car!
differential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:01   #8786
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,814 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
And hows the driveability of the ecoboost? Not able to get a petrol test drive anywhere,though ive driven the NA petrol owned by a friend. Im more keen on the ecoboost because of the higher power rating and much better rated mileage.
Is your running too low to justify a diesel? The diesel has excellent city driveability and is better than the 1.5P on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
1.5 Petrol feels underpowered on highways but handles well in city driving; 1.0 Ecoboost has turbo lag in city bumper-to-bumper traffic but rocks on the highways (after 2000 rpm)
Hemant has described the engine behaviours very well.
arunphilip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:19   #8787
BHPian
 
kkkkkaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 135
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Is your running too low to justify a diesel? The diesel has excellent city driveability and is better than the 1.5P on the highway.







Hemant has described the engine behaviours very well.

Running on an average shouldnt be over 500-600kms a month.. And, since we are a large family, already have other vehicles for highway runs, this is more intended for a city runabout, which will be used for the elder people, so high seating is very important. For some reason, the other option is an amaze petrol, with relatively high seating and being sub 4m.
I need to get enough reason to spend an additional 2l over the amaze vx for the titanium variant. I hate the amaze
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:32   #8788
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Goa
Posts: 140
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: My DIY Scratch Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
What thinner did you use. Modern paints use 2K Thinner which I find quite strong and may remove the adjoining paint. I have been doing this touch up for many years but have not been able to level the touch up successfully.
This is the paint thinner that I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20150423wa0085.jpg  

hemant.kamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:32   #8789
BHPian
 
WhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 827
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The ride is way too hard and there's no pitch at all. The problem is the stiff suspension which transmits everything.

I'm not sure if when you say pitching it's over bad roads? Pitching over undulating roads is what the Verna does. The Ecosport is exactly the opposite. Good composure on highway roads but very uncomfortable on bad roads.
Okay, may be the term "pitching'' is causing issues. As you mentioned, EcoSport relays everything on the road to the traveler at all speeds. It is a very stiff setup, which does not mean great handling.

A good suspension setup should take the undulations without transferring the same to the rest of the car. Difficult to achieve across all ranges of speed, but should be comfortable at some speed, right?

Verna has the other extreme. Suspension compresses rather slowly and its dampers cannot stop the spring rebounds. However, the overall movement is slow and say, resembling traveling on a volvo bus. Side effect of the same is that the grip levels vary, especially when cornering, leading to unsettled feel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssingri View Post
On the ride I realized it rides better if you set the tyre pressure at 32psi something to do with the spring rate and tyres flexing. Wheras 28 and 30 psi give you a bumpy ride.

On the handling it handles like a car but does not give me confidence to change lanes like my baleno does. I would say what Baleno does at 120kmph the Ecosport will do at 90-95.

About fitting in, the blind spots are huge and makes you feel disoriented. The mirrors are fine, the secret is to be sitting up high and with a straight seat back. Exactly the reverse of my Baleno position. One arm rested on the armrest makes for a very relaxed crusising position.
Thank you. Next time I get a hand on the car, I'll try the trick and see.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:43   #8790
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,896 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport Automatic: Drive and Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Okay, may be the term "pitching'' is causing issues. As you mentioned, EcoSport relays everything on the road to the traveler at all speeds. It is a very stiff setup, which does not mean great handling.
A stiff setup means the ride is not great but the handling is. The Ecosport suspension is biased towards handling over ride. For a compact SUV with that weight and height, the handling is what is commendable and not the ride.

Quote:
A good suspension setup should take the undulations without transferring the same to the rest of the car. Difficult to achieve across all ranges of speed, but should be comfortable at some speed, right?

Verna has the other extreme. Suspension compresses rather slowly and its dampers cannot stop the spring rebounds. However, the overall movement is slow and say, resembling traveling on a volvo bus. Side effect of the same is that the grip levels vary, especially when cornering, leading to unsettled feel.
Yup, incase of Ecosport the high speed ride is extremely comfortable with not pitching and flat ride.

On other hand Verna has brilliant low speed ride quality but as speeds pick up the ride is all over the place. It pitches and oscillates over any imperfection in the road. Rear seat passengers are the most affected here.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks