Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2015, 05:12   #9121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

has anyone changed the interior bulbs to philips w5w type? white light ones. any tutorial would be helpful. I'm also planning to change the rear number plate bulbs
zoheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 20:32   #9122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 144
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoheb View Post
has anyone changed the interior bulbs to philips w5w type? white light ones. any tutorial would be helpful. I'm also planning to change the rear number plate bulbs
Hi, you could find instructions to change bulbs in the owner's manual and yes I did change both cabin and license plate lamps
Rajiv0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 00:50   #9123
BHPian
 
rambo1o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 351
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Hey guys.
While browsing through the net i came across a 1.5 Tdci engine being offered on the UK ford focus. On closer inspection of the engine i found it to be the same 1.5 being offered here in the ecosport, fiesta and soon to be launched figo Aspire. It has the same bore and stroke,same 8 valve SOHC specification, But with a power bump of 120ps(118hp) and 270Nm of torque!! There is also a 95ps version which is similar to what will be offered in the upcoming aspire so no doubt its the same engine that we have here in India.

I feel Ford should genuinely think about offering the 120ps version in the ecosport since the current state of tune is just adequate for relaxed driving. I'm sure the extra power and Torque would really enhance the driving experience and should negate some of its performance shortcomings due to its rather heavier kerb weight(1300kgs) and atleast give some competition to the more powerful engines on the slightly bigger duster/creta.And apparently ford will offer this engine in the Uk focus with a 6 speed DCT next year, so a great chance to take a slice of the ever growing fuel efficient automatic segment.

Here is the link to the engine specks:http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca..._tdci_120.html
Would like to know what you'll think, will ford offer this engine now or wake up once the competition forces the ecosport to the bottom of the ladder? Cause i know alot of people who would like an ecosport with a lively heart,to reinforce that image of an ''SUV'', else they will stick to a similarly priced hatch or sedan.

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 25th July 2015 at 00:52.
rambo1o1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 13:22   #9124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Hi, you could find instructions to change bulbs in the owner's manual and yes I did change both cabin and license plate lamps
Do you know how many total bulbs are needed? For the interior and at the back as well?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 13:31. Reason: u > you, r > are. Please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums. Thanks
zoheb is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2015, 13:25   #9125
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,786
Thanked: 16,928 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoheb View Post
Do you know how many total bulbs are needed? For the interior and at the back as well?
3 in the front light (centre, left, right), 1 for the vanity mirror on left, 1 for the rear cabin lamp, 1 for the boot lamp and 2 for the license plates.

8 total + 2 for the parking lights in front.

You need total of 10 W5W bulbs. I remember the manual mentioned all the bulbs were W5W listed above.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 01:46   #9126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 494
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Technically No! this mod shouldn't impact warranty as all factory fitted electricals are intact ( no wire splicing or cutting); there is no change in wattage drawn from the battery/power supply. If however the manufacturer wants to prove it otherwise they very well can

Your question is absolutely valid! I did buy these projectors, bulbs, relays and an additional pair of headlamps from cheapest possible sources to perform this mod. Illumination is far better than halogens, cut off is sharper and beam switching is precise due to projectors
That's a wonderful change in looks as well as the the lighting!!
I am damn frustrated with the factory settings, especially during the monsoons.

I would be grateful if you can direct me to the source where I can get this modification done. One caveat though - I am not a DIY guy. So if there is someone reliable, I can get these mods done on my ride too.

Also, would greatly appreciate, if you can give a ballpark figure in terms of dent to the pocket!!

Thanks!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 10:49   #9127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 144
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoheb View Post
Do you know how many total bulbs are needed? For the interior and at the back as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
8 total + 2 for the parking lights in front.
It's a function of the variant you own, for ambiente 6 would suffice, trend it should be 7(pls check manual) and titanium should be 10

Even though the base is common for all bulbs, except for parking lights you may want to consider bulbs with side illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I would be grateful if you can direct me to the source where I can get this modification done. Also, would greatly appreciate, if you can give a ballpark figure in terms of dent to the pocket!!

Would recommend that you procure materials on your own and have them installed from a workshop. Sorry I do not have pointers however as this is a common upgrade, any 3rd party shop should be able to carry this out

since you already have the guide you know what to expect/benchmark them against

Dent on the pocket : anywhere between 8 to 30K depending on the quality and source of procurement. See below link to morimotos India fb page that should provide a sense of the upper end of price range (mine are mini d2s square).

https://www.facebook.com/morimotoind...862811377612:0

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 13:32. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Rajiv0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:25   #9128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

thanks Vid6639 & Rajiv0909 - Mine is the Titanium model -

ordered 10 Philips Blue Vision 4000k w5w bulbs
also ordered Hella Curvo wipers (which i feel every ecosport owner needs) the stock wipers are just crap. for the front lights, the Xtreme Vision 130+ is also ordered and a ton of car detailing stuff hahaha
zoheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 13:01   #9129
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 381
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Has anyone used the Hella Powerlight for their headlamps. I have been using Xtrem Vision 100% and it is still not helping. I am actively considering a replacement. As one of the Xtreme Vision had bought have fused and I am now running on one stock OSRAM and one Xtrem Vision. No big budgets for HIDs though !
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 14:28   #9130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 60
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Has anyone used the Hella Powerlight for their headlamps. I have been using Xtrem Vision 100% and it is still not helping. I am actively considering a replacement. As one of the Xtreme Vision had bought have fused and I am now running on one stock OSRAM and one Xtrem Vision. No big budgets for HIDs though !
I installed Powerlight just a few days back. If compared to OEM, definitely better. Low beam is significantly better, but high beam shows only a marginal improvement, both in terms of brightness as well as throw. I am still struggling especially while driving in the rains . So I now switch on the fog lamps as well for better visibility. I am not sure if you will be able to perceive any significant difference if you change from Philips to Hella.

P.S: This is my first post on T-BHP
amit.s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 15:15   #9131
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Has anyone used the Hella Powerlight for their headlamps. I have been using Xtrem Vision 100% and it is still not helping. I am actively considering a replacement.
If you're not happy with the Philips ExtremeVision, then don't bother with Hella PowerLight or Osram Night Breaker; since they're all fundamentally the same.

As much as you might dislike the wiring changes, maybe its time to fit a relay, holders and 100W bulbs? Total cost will be around the cost of a pair of Night Breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I installed Powerlight just a few days back. If compared to OEM, definitely better. Low beam is significantly better, but high beam shows only a marginal improvement, both in terms of brightness as well as throw. I am not sure if you will be able to perceive any significant difference if you change from Philips to Hella. P.S: This is my first post on T-BHP
Thanks for your helpful first post, now you have your first thanks to match
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 16:03   #9132
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 381
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I installed Powerlight just a few days back. If compared to OEM, definitely better. Low beam is significantly better, but high beam shows only a marginal improvement, both in terms of brightness as well as throw. I am still struggling especially while driving in the rains . So I now switch on the fog lamps as well for better visibility. I am not sure if you will be able to perceive any significant difference if you change from Philips to Hella.

P.S: This is my first post on T-BHP
Thanks Amit. Where did you buy the bulb from. I have just read about them on T-bhp and could not find them on a few stores here in Cochin. Neither could I gain any considerable info on the bulb as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
If you're not happy with the Philips ExtremeVision, then don't bother with Hella PowerLight or Osram Night Breaker; since they're all fundamentally the same.
As much as you might dislike the wiring changes, maybe its time to fit a relay, holders and 100W bulbs? Total cost will be around the cost of a pair of Night Breakers.
I have totally lost my hopes on alternate bulbs of same Wattage. You currently run on Xtreme Vision right.
Do you know anyone running with the 100W with a new wiring. ?
What could be the challenges running the 100 W on the current headlamp cluster. I have heard of heating issues. Could you please share some thought.
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 17:05   #9133
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
You currently run on Xtreme Vision right.
Do you know anyone running with the 100W with a new wiring. ?
What could be the challenges running the 100 W on the current headlamp cluster. I have heard of heating issues. Could you please share some thought.
I'm actually using Osram Nightbreaker Plus, but, yes, they're really the same.

One question regarding your problems - is the actual installation of the bulbs correct? I remember wilful had issues, which he then traced to the bulbs being installed the wrong way around.

EcoBeast uses 100W bulbs in his projector housing. See the below post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoBeast View Post
These are projectors with H7 bulbs. I have used 100 watt bulbs with a relay, to get good light output.
  • That means that electrically, a 100W load is acceptable.
  • The other issue is one of heating the holders - this is addressed by changing the OEM bulb holders to ceramic ones.
  • Finally, the heating caused by the bulb can cause the headlamp reflector to blacken over time, which will also affect light output/throw. This is something you'll have to risk.

FWIW, I'm running 100W bulbs in my Getz for 2 years, and don't notice any problems at all in the reflector. However, this is very subjective and anecdotal, and depends on the shape and quality of the reflector.
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 17:16   #9134
BHPian
 
peterjim13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Kochi/S.Bathery
Posts: 381
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
One question regarding your problems - is the actual installation of the bulbs correct? I remember wilful had issues, which he then traced to the bulbs being installed the wrong way around.
hmm. good thought. Let me get that checked too. I had issues with the alignment before. I shall get this checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
EcoBeast uses 100W bulbs in his projector housing. See the below post:
Thanks Arun I have Pm-ed Ecobeast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
[/list][*]That means that electrically, a 100W load is acceptable. [*]The other issue is one of heating the holders - this is addressed by changing the OEM bulb holders to ceramic ones. [*]Finally, the heating caused by the bulb can cause the headlamp reflector to blacken over time, which will also affect light output/throw. This is something you'll have to risk.[/list]
FWIW, I'm running 100W bulbs in my Getz for 2 years, and don't notice any problems at all in the reflector. However, this is very subjective and anecdotal, and depends on the shape and quality of the reflector.
I have noted those, and shall consider these before jumping into a conclusion. Thanks Again
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 18:00   #9135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 60
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Thanks Amit. Where did you buy the bulb from. I have just read about them on T-bhp and could not find them on a few stores here in Cochin. Neither could I gain any considerable info on the bulb as such.
Its available on ebay.in from a seller called Progressive Auto based at Delhi. Get the contact details from e-bay and call him up instead of ordering through e-bay. e-bay screwed up my delivery so this seller sent me another one through courier.
amit.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks