Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 7th August 2015, 08:09   #9181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Of all the crossovers, the Ecosport has the highest kerb weight while being priced the lowest.

This thick metal, apart from taking less dent on the wallet, takes less intensive dent from minor road mishaps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Now the query is that does the ecosport have a speed sensing, or time lag type auto door lock system, when you start driving.
Door locks when speed cross 20 kmph. It can be disabled too.
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 08:57   #9182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Ecosport ownners, I have a query, test drove the ecosport two times, really impressed with the driver comfort in this car, one can always find his appropriate position by adjusting the seat and the stearing. I found it more comfortable than duster and even the Creta. Now the query is that does the ecosport have a speed sensing, or time lag type auto door lock system, when you start driving.
Yes. Excerpt from the owner's manual, page 35:

The autolock feature will lock all the doors
when:
• all doors and tailgate are closed,
• the ignition is on,
• you shift into any gear putting the
vehicle in motion, and
• the vehicle attains a speed greater than
20 km/h.

If one or more doors are opened, the
autolock feature will repeat when:
• the vehicle speed has been 15 km/h for
at least two seconds; and
• the conditions for autolock are met
again.

Last edited by hemant.kamat : 7th August 2015 at 08:59.
hemant.kamat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 10:07   #9183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Of all the crossovers, the Ecosport has the highest kerb weight while being priced the lowest.
This point struck me too when I read about the kerb weight of the Creta posted by one of the new owners there.
And I really at am a loss to find people talking so dismissively about the diminutive size/space of the vehicle. It has even been referred to as an Alto (size) on stilts. Yes - it is has ducked under the 4 meter mark for obvious reasons but is surprisingly comfortable space wise for average sized occupants. I am sure some of the folk commenting on the space (or lack of it) haven't ever been in an Ecosport.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 10:29   #9184
BHPian

Got this antenna for Ford Ecosport. So far no issues and works well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...287750620.html

The antenna comes with three sets of screws and 2 bush. The antenna is of good quality and is made of metal. The antenna looks very good on Ecosport, much better than long OE antenna. Will post pic sometime.

Have ordered these stickers as well http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-S...034526313.html . Yet to receive the same.

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th August 2015 at 10:48.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:05   #9185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
Yes. Excerpt from the owner's manual, page 35:

The autolock feature will lock all the doors
when:
• all doors and tailgate are closed,
• the ignition is on,
• you shift into any gear putting the
vehicle in motion, and
• the vehicle attains a speed greater than
20 km/h.

If one or more doors are opened, the
autolock feature will repeat when:
• the vehicle speed has been 15 km/h for
at least two seconds; and
• the conditions for autolock are met
again.
So when you say the doors lock, does that mean they can not be opened from the inside until they are unlocked? One of the things I recollect and wanted to clear from the Ecosport owners; it seems like the car (and probably any ford model) does not have a way to double lock the doors. There isn't a manual knob near the window that once depressed needs to be lifted up back again before the door can be opened from the inside and the outside.

Essentially when you say the door is locked for ford cars, it can not be opened form the outside but can always be opened from the inside by simply pulling the lever. To me this seems like a bit of a safety issue and a two step process to open up the doors from the inside when the car is locked is a much more safe option.

Last edited by ashua : 7th August 2015 at 11:09.
ashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:26   #9186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Got this antenna for Ford Ecosport. So far no issues and works well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...287750620.html

The antenna comes with three sets of screws and 2 bush. The antenna is of good quality and is made of metal. The antenna looks very good on Ecosport, much better than long OE antenna. Will post pic sometime.
I had also bought this one from Aliexpress. While the reception was OK in town areas, it grew weak in the outskirts. I park my car in the basement and the reception was really poor there. Looks wise I felt that this looked small on the Ecosports, but of course looks are subjective. I kept it for a few days but have now reverted to OEM.
amit.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:29   #9187
BHPian

Spent a blissful (first) week in the EcoSport AT. I love the sturdy build, good insulation and the peace of the AT through crazy traffic. I have adjusted to the somewhat stiff suspension, and quite like it now. Had an opportunity to drive the Ertiga yesterday, and I must say one week in the Ecosport has spoilt my habits. Ertiga suddenly felt coarse and loud. And of course, suddenly, and for the first time, I felt both the lag and the vibrations in the Ertiga :-) (thank you EcoSport)

Suddenly started thinking of selling the Ertiga next year and going for another AT !
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:31   #9188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
So when you say the doors lock, does that mean they can not be opened from the inside until they are unlocked? One of the things I recollect and wanted to clear from the Ecosport owners; it seems like the car (and probably any ford model) does not have a way to double lock the doors. There isn't a manual knob near the window that once depressed needs to be lifted up back again before the door can be opened from the inside and the outside.

Essentially when you say the door is locked for ford cars, it can not be opened form the outside but can always be opened from the inside by simply pulling the lever. To me this seems like a bit of a safety issue and a two step process to open up the doors from the inside when the car is locked is a much more safe option.
Well not able to lock door from inside is a safety feature . My Vento also works similar way. In case of emergency there is no way the doors get locked from inside. For children it is always advised to be seated rear, with child locks enabled.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 11:50   #9189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
Yes, the doors unlock from the inside by simply pulling on the release lever, even after the autolock is engaged. It is advisable not to have any children in the front passenger seat; they should be seated at the rear with the child-lock engaged on both rear doors.

http://www.india.ford.com/userguide/locks

"All the doors can still be opened manually from the inside even when the vehicle has been locked, this is a safety feature to enable the passengers in the vehicle to open the doors in an emergency."

Last edited by hemant.kamat : 7th August 2015 at 11:59.
hemant.kamat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:11   #9190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well not able to lock door from inside is a safety feature . My Vento also works similar way. In case of emergency there is no way the doors get locked from inside. For children it is always advised to be seated rear, with child locks enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemant.kamat View Post
Yes, the doors unlock from the inside by simply pulling on the release lever, even after the autolock is engaged. It is advisable not to have any children in the front passenger seat; they should be seated at the rear with the child-lock engaged on both rear doors.

http://www.india.ford.com/userguide/locks

"All the doors can still be opened manually from the inside even when the vehicle has been locked, this is a safety feature to enable the passengers in the vehicle to open the doors in an emergency."
Understood. Its still one of those things that would require getting used to (and surprisingly not something followed by any of the Asian manufacturers). Child locking both the rear doors renders the argument of safety moot as the rear doors will never open from the inside (emergency or not). BTW in case of an accident/impact, the doors are anyways supposed to automatically unlock and do the child locks also get automatically removed/opened?

Last edited by ashua : 7th August 2015 at 12:24.
ashua is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:17   #9191
BHPian

The idea should be to have your child, properly, in either, a child safety seat, or a seat belt, in both which cases, there should not be any problem in keeping the child locks unlocked.

In case an adult is also present on the rear seat, then child lock can be used on one door on the child's side.

I tend to like this configuration, because I have more confidence that it would be easier to exit the car, in an accident, than if the doors were secured from inside as well.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:26   #9192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Spent a blissful (first) week in the EcoSport AT. I love the sturdy build, good insulation and the peace of the AT through crazy traffic. I have adjusted to the somewhat stiff suspension, and quite like it now.
Congrats for your new ride. May I know which accessories did you opt for? Apologize if you have already posted it earlier.
sohu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 12:31   #9193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
And I really at am a loss to find people talking so dismissively about the diminutive size/space of the vehicle. It has even been referred to as an Alto (size) on stilts. Yes - it is has ducked under the 4 meter mark for obvious reasons but is surprisingly comfortable space wise for average sized occupants. I am sure some of the folk commenting on the space (or lack of it) haven't ever been in an Ecosport.
Tell me who is talking about space here. I was shifting my house batch by batch last week. With the rear seats folded, Ecosport can take far more luggage than a Piaggio Ape.

My Co-brother who owns a Corolla, Swift & Santro was shocked at the space it had to offer. I think no other car has this flexible options of loading luggage or making space. I have been a bit rough on my car on handling luggage, but still the car doesn't seem to bother.
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 13:46   #9194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Tell me who is talking about space here. I was shifting my house batch by batch last week. With the rear seats folded,
I have a query on this one. Is it possible to remove the rear parcel tray completely? I had to fit in a small bicycle. I folded the seats , retracted the parcel tray, but could not find a way to remove the horizontal bar of the parcel tray . So I had to fit in the cycle somehow under that bar. Is that bar fixed on both the sides?
amit.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 13:56   #9195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I have a query on this one. Is it possible to remove the rear parcel tray completely? I had to fit in a small bicycle. I folded the seats , retracted the parcel tray, but could not find a way to remove the horizontal bar of the parcel tray . So I had to fit in the cycle somehow under that bar. Is that bar fixed on both the sides?
Yes the parcel tray can be completely taken off.

They are fixed into lock using a spring. You just have to pull the Fibre end of the metal bar inwards and the bar will come down.

Likewise while you are fixing it back, fix one end to the holder and on the other end - push back the fibre end of the metal bar, and once you are right on the holder, release the fibre end to fix it properly.

It would be ideal to pull the flap into the metal frame before all the above operations.
peterjim13 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote