Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 19th June 2013, 21:13   #976
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Just did a test drive of the Ecosport/ Ecoboost @Mody Ford, Hyderabad.
===============
(-) Not sure whether its just perception or the result of a more tightly tuned suspension, but the rear seat ride felt a bit harder than the average Indian car.
Hey buddy has this reached the showroom? Is this the one in Begumpet?
bigben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 21:15   #977
BHPian

Went in for a test-drive at Fortune Ford Tolichowki. They had a white titanium(o) diesel. There were a stream of people waiting already, and almost everyone who passed by swiveled their head at the sight of the car.

This car is a sight to behold - looks like nothing else on the road today. stunning from the front and back but feels hatch-like from the side. The mars red I had seen at the mall had felt a little too flashy, but the diamond white appears quite understated and, may I say, dignified. This car, in diamond white, will be perceived to be smaller than the mars red and that bodes well with me!

At the mall, the interiors had looked quite dreary, but today in the sun, the dark interiors looked sporty. The dashboard switches look daunting, and one would need time to get used to it. The voice-command system didn't work when I said "play FM Radio" or "Play Music". I understand there are a finite set of keywords the SYNC system understands, so it's not as slick as, say, Google voice on Android. These gadgets will take some time getting used to.

We drove it in moderate-to-heavy Hyderabad traffic with 5 people on-board and the best way to describe the diesel engine is "adequate". Turbo-lag is not an issue, and the torque is completely linear and that's a good thing for the city, as turbo-push can feel a little disconcerting in city-driving. Steering wheel, for city driving, felt just right. Haven't driven over 40kmph, so I can't say if it feels too light at high-speed. Gear shifts are decent, the clutch could have been lighter. Also, to use the hand-brake, you'll need to lift up the armrest, which is annoying.

Suspension is indeed on the stiffer side, and the shock of speed-breakers will reach the occupants at the back. Otherwise, the ride is quite stable. 5 in the back is indeed a squeeze. 4 is very comfortable. The shoulder-room at the back seemed comparable to my i10, but the leg-room is better. The window-line is high for those at the back, so the "window view" feels inadequate. The lack of grab handles on this trim will be a disappointment.

This is a brilliant package for a family of 4. The diesel is economical, the ecoboost is enthusiastic, and the 1.5 AT will be comfort-oriented. This is not in the same segment as duster (the duster is much bigger than the ecosport) and not one unit will sell if they price it on par with the duster. This car competes with the i20 and should be priced accordingly.
saisrujan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 21:25   #978
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Metro Ford, Place cross today to look at the eco sport in person, here are my views:

Looks very good. I'm happy with the size too, not too big or small either
The cabin felt a LOT bigger than my Polo, especially at the front. The rear in contrast was a disappointment as it was a tad bit claustrophobic. The front seats offered excellent support and it was super easy to find the right driving position. Back seats were good on comfort thanks to the recline
Loaded with features,especially the Titanium variant
The steering was superb to hold! Fiat type with contours for your thumb
In-cabin plastics were of acceptable quality,fit and finish were decent. The glovebox felt super cheap though
Loved the blue backlight on the dash

Dislikes
Not a lot more space when compared to the Polo, especially at the rear. I was expecting more
Feels like a grown up Figo in many ways!
Now a 6 month waiting period! All crap I feel, looks like they are trying to over-hype this already hyped car
No clear idea on when this car will be launched and the prices
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 21:35   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
It is not at the showroom yet. It is at their service station in Mahadevapura. They were cleaning the ecosport. Should be in the showroom tomorrow.
How comfortable is the driver seat with respect to leg room (seat travel), under thigh support, pedal spacing and dead pedal? I am asking you as you are 6' tall. I am 6' 2" tall. Thanks

As per the reviews, seat width seems to be less.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 21:42   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Hey buddy has this reached the showroom? Is this the one in Begumpet?
@BigBen, yes indeed it has, with all the dealers. Mody Ford(Begumpet) had both display units and test drive units (1.0 Ecoboost, 1.5 diesel). Try them, have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfSith View Post
Which Mody Ford is this ? Can you give us the Area Name
Is it for all or a privileged test drive ?
It's the one in Begumpet, at the intersection of Minister Road. Its for all, nothing "privileged" about it. All showrooms have received supplies of TD vehicles, just go to one nearest to you.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 19th June 2013 at 21:46. Reason: merging posts.
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 21:46   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
How comfortable is the driver seat with respect to leg room (seat travel), under thigh support, pedal spacing and dead pedal? I am asking you as you are 6' tall. I am 6' 2" tall. Thanks

As per the reviews, seat width seems to be less.

The driver seat is very comfortable. I didnt have to push the seat all the way back. There is room for more. The height adjustment is a boon.

Under thigh support is excellent for someone 5'10. For me a part of my thigh had no support. It was not much though.

The dead pedal is not so prominent, but there is something you can call dead pedal

It felt nice to sit on the driver seat, steering is great to hold.
zteg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 22:08   #982
Team-BHP Support

Just noticed that the lower end Trend variant gets beige interiors but the Titanium (O) gets all black. That's a brilliant move by Ford.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 22:33   #983
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Just noticed that the lower end Trend variant gets beige interiors but the Titanium (O) gets all black. That's a brilliant move by Ford.
Excellent move. Thank you Ford for showing black reigns over el cheapo beige.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 22:35   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
But the official site says that the interiors is Charcoal black + Natural Grey. So am I missing anything?
anumod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 22:36   #985
BHPian

Its official - 26th June is the launch

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-conten...nch-Invite.jpg
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 23:04   #986
BHPian

I have an eye on the 1.5 petrol. But am really skeptical about its mileage. As the Figo petrol or the Fiesta petrol both are know for not so good in mileage department. This car being heavy plus a 1.5 liter engine should give a mileage of around 8-9km/ltr in city! Anything above 10 in city can be considered as good for this car. Am waiting for a long term ownership report to come up in Team Bhp.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 23:06   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Ecosport launch on June 26th? Another week to go.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/347...n-26-june.aspx

Some big scoop expected tonight
http://www.motorbeam.com/general/maj...1107-pm-today/

Could this be the pricing? The service advisor at Elite Ford mentioned pricelist will be released tonight.

It is the pricelist I am interested in more than the launch
Same here, but just noticed that they have updated the timing of the scoop to 11am tommorow. So, the scoop went poop. By tommorow, most dealers will have the price list.
nitinr30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 23:26   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinr30 View Post
Same here, but just noticed that they have updated the timing of the scoop to 11am tommorow. So, the scoop went poop. By tommorow, most dealers will have the price list.
The numerologist part in the site still remains as earlier with time updated to 11:07 AM. At the end, there is a contradicting statement that it was a technical glitch. It is better not to look at these sites. Refer the latest update from the site.

"We announced on our twitter handle about a major scoop coming up on MotorBeam at 8 PM today. However our numerologer saw the tweet and suggested we wait till 11:07 AM to publish this major scoop. We also thought it’s unfair for those who don’t follow us on twitter to not know about the scoop before hand. So what is the scoop all about? We will be revealing an exclusive piece of information about an upcoming vehicle. Stay tuned and make sure your browser points to MotorBeam.com at 11:07 AM on the 20th of June. We had to postponed this by 12 hours due to some technical glitch."
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 23:49   #989
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Thank goodness Ford has officially announced the launch date, else 'Paul-the Octopus' would have had to come out of his grave!!

EcoSport is the most awaited car launch of the year & Ford simply cannot afford to go wrong with the pricing, hopefully they would have learnt their lessons after the Fiesta debacle.

I feel Ford initially will come out with a tempting Introductory Price strategy & maybe 2 months later increase the price by a bit!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 08:06   #990
BHPian

All secrets out. Brochure now available at Ford india website. All models and Specs in website now..

http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/models

(But for the Price info)

Last edited by Seran Manian : 20th June 2013 at 08:13.
Seran Manian is offline   Reply With Quote