Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2016, 18:47   #10201
BHPian
 
satz581993Mille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Guys with the ecoboost engine, what is the idle rpm you guys get? With the AC on and off? Also, do you guys get any slight rpm fluctuations when starting the engine on cold?
satz581993Mille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 01:38   #10202
Newbie
 
jampot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why would you do that? Has the seat cover frayed?

It is not recommended to fit seat covers.
I'm just hoping that the seat covers will make cleaning it easier in case of spillage or if someone throws up due to travel sickness. Then there are few non-removable marks in the seat that I'd like to hide as well. My previous car (a pre-owned Wagon-R) even had the seat plastic covers intact! Even then I put seat covers as soon as I bought that. Although I never had to remove it for cleaning in the nine years of owning it. At least I felt I was nice to the next owner.

Search in TB mobile app didn't show anything relevant yesterday. But searching in the desktop site now showed some discussion in this thread (around page 301) regarding airbag-friendly seat covers. Why is it not recommended?
jampot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 07:36   #10203
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 653 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
Search in TB mobile app didn't show anything relevant yesterday. But searching in the desktop site now showed some discussion in this thread (around page 301) regarding airbag-friendly seat covers. Why is it not recommended?
The leather seats are designed for deployment of Airbags. I am not going to trust airbag- friendly seats covers. These may not function as well as the OE Seats, it might lead to partial deployment or completely fail, this might seriously compromise safety.
Get the seats detailed every 6 months, this will keep them in good shape.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 08:43   #10204
BHPian
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 378
Thanked: 477 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Guys with the ecoboost engine, what is the idle rpm you guys get? With the AC on and off? Also, do you guys get any slight rpm fluctuations when starting the engine on cold?
I always warm the engine up during a cold start and the RPM drops by a few hundred during idle. I think the idle RPM with the air con is 1.1k.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 09:43   #10205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Folks, need your advice please!

Context: Took delivery of titanium plus diesel version yesterday from Hans Ford, Chennai. Dealership is only 3 months old and had ready stock of most colors unlike Chennai Ford or MPL who were quoting 2 months for delivery. So picked up the vehicle practically immediately. VIN decoding indicated 14th May'16 build date. All staff are eager to please, no complaints there.

Downside: Sales folk and others were unable to clarify my queries.

Query: switch on the engine and the front fog lamps come on automatically in headlamp Off setting. The fog lamp toggle button works only in full headlamps mode. Front fog lamps also come on in auto headlamp mode.
I am irritated with having the front fog lamps on in the off position in the mornings.

Is this a standard feature, in which case shall choose to understand why and leave it as is. Or is this an issue that I need to get sorted out.

Note: the above is the only feature that I dislike. Else love the vehicle. A delight to have in this vehicle would have been electronically folding ORVMs
DaiusPitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 10:50   #10206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 707
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Folks, need your advice please!

Context: Took delivery of titanium plus diesel version yesterday from Hans Ford, Chennai. Dealership is only 3 months old and had ready stock of most colors unlike Chennai Ford or MPL who were quoting 2 months for delivery. So picked up the vehicle practically immediately. VIN decoding indicated 14th May'16 build date. All staff are eager to please, no complaints there.

Downside: Sales folk and others were unable to clarify my queries.

Query: switch on the engine and the front fog lamps come on automatically in headlamp Off setting. The fog lamp toggle button works only in full headlamps mode. Front fog lamps also come on in auto headlamp mode.
I am irritated with having the front fog lamps on in the off position in the mornings.

Is this a standard feature, in which case shall choose to understand why and leave it as is. Or is this an issue that I need to get sorted out.

Note: the above is the only feature that I dislike. Else love the vehicle. A delight to have in this vehicle would have been electronically folding ORVMs
Congratulations!
The front fog lamps serve as DRLs. I agree it looks rather ridiculous but there's not much you can do. Leave it on Auto. When it gets darker, the fog lamps will switch off and the signature headlights with the strip will come on. Hope this helps.

I have a different problem that I hate tremendously. Request others to check too. In my car, and four others that I checked at the service station yesterday, the windscreen washer nozzles throw water way beyond the windscreen and it can get quite annoying for a biker or pedestrian nearby. I can't belive Ford has no fix for this.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 14:27   #10207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Congratulations!
The front fog lamps serve as DRLs. I agree it looks rather ridiculous but there's not much you can do. Leave it on Auto. When it gets darker, the fog lamps will switch off and the signature headlights with the strip will come on. Hope this helps.

I have a different problem that I hate tremendously. Request others to check too. In my car, and four others that I checked at the service station yesterday, the windscreen washer nozzles throw water way beyond the windscreen and it can get quite annoying for a biker or pedestrian nearby. I can't belive Ford has no fix for this.
Thanks!

Crap, why would we want fog lamps as DRLs? Anyway, have to get used to this.

Interesting, let me check how the nozzles are aligned in mine and revert.
DaiusPitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 19:44   #10208
BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 872
Thanked: 1,118 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Folks, need your advice please!
Query: switch on the engine and the front fog lamps come on automatically in headlamp Off setting. The fog lamp toggle button works only in full headlamps mode. Front fog lamps also come on in auto headlamp mode.
I am irritated with having the front fog lamps on in the off position in the mornings.

Is this a standard feature, in which case shall choose to understand why and leave it as is. Or is this an issue that I need to get sorted out.

A delight to have in this vehicle would have been electronically folding ORVMs
Congratulations

Dont worry your car's behaviour is normal.

If you take a close look at the fog lamp housing, you will notice that it is divided into two parts with a bulb each
One bulb is fog lamp , the other is a daytime running one.
DRL switches on with the engine and is off once you switch on the headlight or turn off the engine

Fog lamp is independently operated through a push on/off switch.



Hope this helps.

And yes the autofolding feature is sorely missed
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 00:32   #10209
Newbie
 
jampot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The leather seats are designed for deployment of Airbags. I am not going to trust airbag- friendly seats covers. These may not function as well as the OE Seats, it might lead to partial deployment or completely fail, this might seriously compromise safety.
Get the seats detailed every 6 months, this will keep them in good shape.
I guess leather seats are easier to clean. However, these are fabric seats in the AT model.

Where can we get the detailing of seat fabrics done? Thanks for the help.
jampot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 15:33   #10210
BHPian
 
satz581993Mille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I always warm the engine up during a cold start and the RPM drops by a few hundred during idle. I think the idle RPM with the air con is 1.1k.
Thanks Doge. Even I always warm the engine up on a cold start before driving. I asked the technical team of Ford regarding the slight rpm fluctuations during cold starts. They said it is a normal behaviour for the ecoboost and done by the ECU to warm up the engine by controlling the fuel flow. However, Idle rpm for me has been 1k with the AC on. I keep the blower level on 2 manually and never use the auto mode. Without the AC on, the idle is around 900 rpm.
satz581993Mille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 15:48   #10211
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Hi

Have booked an Ecosport AT.

Thx TB for all the help and insights.

cheers
ta1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 21:22   #10212
BHPian
 
kumar_gautam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 47
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
I keep the blower level on 2 manually and never use the auto mode.
Curious to understand how does that help in rpm?

I have my blower set to auto, and have issues getting the engine to pull in 2nd gear when the rpm falls below 1.5k. I usually turn off the AC for few seconds and switch it back on.

Old Santro habits hard to die.
kumar_gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 10:11   #10213
BHPian
 
satz581993Mille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post
Curious to understand how does that help in rpm?

I have my blower set to auto, and have issues getting the engine to pull in 2nd gear when the rpm falls below 1.5k. I usually turn off the AC for few seconds and switch it back on.

Old Santro habits hard to die.

Haha! True indeed. Even we still have a Santro and we do exactly just that as and when the power falls beyond a certain level.

As with the ecoboost, I've never had to switch off the AC since mine will always be in blower level 2. If the AC is on auto, the blower speeds will be correspondingly higher so as to cool the cabin quicker. The blower will be in full blast if the outside temperature is too hot and that puts on some slight extra load on any car for that matter. But I never knew that the impact will be so much so that you'll have to turn it off to gain momentum. I think older cars and engines with lesser power( say less than 80bhp? ) would have its load visible due to the AC. I don't use the auto mode not to save power or fuel. I just don't like constantly varying blower speeds and the sound will be just too much when the blower is on full blast. May be your ecoboost doesn't lose power because of AC. The ecoboost has turbo lag below 1800-2000 rpm and that might be what you've felt. Or, when the turbo boost is off below 1800 rpm, the 3 cylinder just cannot take that much load when the AC is on auto. I will try driving with the AC on auto below 1500 rpm to check this.
satz581993Mille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 11:18   #10214
BHPian
 
Maverick79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 527
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Folks, need your advice please!

Query: switch on the engine and the front fog lamps come on automatically in headlamp Off setting. The fog lamp toggle button works only in full headlamps mode. Front fog lamps also come on in auto headlamp mode.
I am irritated with having the front fog lamps on in the off position in the mornings.

Is this a standard feature, in which case shall choose to understand why and leave it as is. Or is this an issue that I need to get sorted out.

Note: the above is the only feature that I dislike. Else love the vehicle. A delight to have in this vehicle would have been electronically folding ORVMs
First of all Congratulations! and welcome to the Club.
Pls refer page 37 of the owners manual. You have a clear pictorial representation of the Light knob function.
Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring!

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 11:22   #10215
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 122
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
First of all Congratulations! and welcome to the Club.
Pls refer page 37 of the owners manual. You have a clear pictorial representation of the Light knob function.
Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring!

Regards,
Maverick79.
Thanks a lot!

What you suggested was indeed my first resort. But the manual does not mention anything about the DRL function of the front fog lamp that others above have clarified.

Curious now, does your manual mention anything the DRL functioning? Mine only makes reference in a side note to the auto lamp functionality.
DaiusPitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks