Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th June 2013, 14:16   #1186
BHPian

Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Test Drove the Eco sport today. Had to go to their workshop because my Figo again cut of the engine off its own accord, while I was driving at 80 Kmph on a busy Gurgaon road. Scary ordeal, they updated the software and now I have to see for 10 days if the problem comes back.

While the software was being updated, I went for the Ecosport TD. Harpreet Ford is giving TD's of the diesel Titanium version in the white colour. They have two TD vehicles.

Pros
* Vehicle looks good but is small, it is not as big as you would think it is, but being less than 4 m it should be expected I guess.
*Doors are very heavy and in a good way, feel durable and strong.
*Interior gadgets are plenty.
*Car is very silent, I could not hear the Diesel start and it stays silent.
*AC is a winner.
*Pick up is good and the car can move, it really can. It does not feel short of power.

Cons
*It is really small inside. This might be a deal breaker for many, space behind is really less.I am 6.2 and with the seat all the way back, I could not sit comfortably in the back seat. Also even if I remove myself from the equation, I dont feel 3 adults will be comfortable there.
*The steering is so light. It is almost cartoonish. Where is the Figo unit which is so confidence inspiring.
*Boot is also not very big, when I asked the SA if it is shorter than the Figo, he told me "Sir what type of question is this, Figo has different boot and Ecosport has different." . The guy obviously did not want to reveal the real dimensions.
I do not know how they were doing the Washing machine fits here ad, that boot can only keep a couple of buckets and some soap for hand wash.

Anyways all said and done it comes down to price, one SA said 7 to 9, another one said 8 to 12, so don't know.

My feeling is that if it is 7 to 9 then this car will literally kill the Duster and a lot of other cars.

Anything over 10 and Ford is again on an uphill sales challenge.

OT - I was at GSP motors Gurgaon, a Mahindra Dealership and there were very juicy discounts on the XUV, W6 and W8 variants. What gives Mahindra? Anyways for customers competition is always good.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 14:26   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
Here's some interesting data from Motoroids http://motoroids.com/news/ford-india...ort-demo-cars/.
Signs of things to come

Which Compact SUV for you?

Ford Eco Sport (65%, 614 Votes)
Renault Duster (35%, 325 Votes)
Total Voters: 939

I dont think that this will hold true after say 3-4 months. The reason why i say this is because people who voted must must have been online users. But online community will be probably 2-3% of the actual buying community or even lesser.
Also, when i was near my office, going for tea/coffee with 5 or 6 of my friends, i saw this Ecosport passing by. The first thing that my friends said that it looks soooo small, but tries to look big and fails miserably in doing so.. and i too felt the same.. probably it does not go with the personality..

In India, many people buy cars/SUVs not only for necessity, but also for showing off, if they can afford. Comparing this with Duster, i think people bought duster because not only because it was new, but also it was with a foreign touch 'Renault' and to add to that it looked bigger and people like u and me can brag about their "SUV".. So, the pricing will be very important role as i dont think many people will pay 11-12 lakhs OTR for vehicle, of this size, how much ever technology u put in the car, certainly Ford is not a Mercedes..
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 14:35   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
If the 1L Ecoboost Titanium is priced > or = TDCi Titanium, can someone help understand what would be the advantage of buying the petrol version over the TDCi

I do get that the Ecoboost delivers more power 123 vs Diesel's 90. But, Ecoboost will be an imported engine whose long term reliability isn't proven yet. Besides, it also means that service requires specialized knowledge and talent.

As a prospective buyer whose monthly run is low, i'm torn between the choice of variants.
1.5L petrol - Underpowered
1L ecoboost petrol - Complicated & unproven engine. No cost advantage over diesel.
1.5 TDCi - Usage too low to justify Diesel
I've always had the same opinion about the EcoBoost pricing too. Perhaps it's also serving as a sales boost for the diesel sibling as a byproduct.

If none of the 3 engines are fitting your bill exactly, why not look for alternative cars? The diesel seems practical to me. A workhorse engine with some fun to drive that is inherent with high torque diesels. You shouldn't turn your back to it simply because your running is too low.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:11   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
If the 1L Ecoboost Titanium is priced > or = TDCi Titanium, can someone help understand what would be the advantage of buying the petrol version over the TDCi

I do get that the Ecoboost delivers more power 123 vs Diesel's 90. But, Ecoboost will be an imported engine whose long term reliability isn't proven yet. Besides, it also means that service requires specialized knowledge and talent.

As a prospective buyer whose monthly run is low, i'm torn between the choice of variants.
1.5L petrol - Underpowered
1L ecoboost petrol - Complicated & unproven engine. No cost advantage over diesel.
1.5 TDCi - Usage too low to justify Diesel
Low mileage does not justify the cost & vibration of a diesel. Nor will it make sense to have a turbo petrol as the turbo will not get enough time to properly lubricate its bearings & come to optimum operating temperature.
Selecting the 1.5 petrol will depend mainly on your driving style & average occupancy of the car.

We have the 1.6L petrol Fusion(Manual Gearbox). It has around 100hp. So the 1.5 is about 12 hp more & the same torque.

Now let me give some feedback from our 6 yrs. or usage:-

1. Engine is super smooth. many a time I have cranked the running engine thinking it is switched off!!
2. On highways it is a hoot to drive. With 2 up & ac on I would be doing 80-85 kmph at 1800 rpm & getting 17.5 kmpl. In city we get 12 kmpl. If you use a heavy foot the mileage drops. Particularly on the highways keeping the engine above 3000 rpm drops consumption to 11-13. But you would be doing 120-140kmph then!
3. I have gunned the engine & sprinted up ghats at crazy speeds & never have I found power lacking. Even last week we (self & better half) went for a drive in the hills around Pune. Was ambling around at 1500-1700 rpm in the various mountain roads & doing it very comfortably.

Reasonable maintenance costs & the local Ford dealer (Planet Ford) is very good. Even for parts we did not face any delays. I used to get a lot of preventive maintenance done on a pro-active basis.

Only 2 failures in 6 years- Water Pump bearing & Radiator fan. And I had neglected the fan failure warning symptoms as I felt it was an AC issue.

Also the Ford AT box, being DSG, will not sap power though you will not get the low speed torque boost of a conventional box. So in conclusion I feel the 1.5L will be more that adequate - unless you propose to break speed records.

And I have always found the ground clearance of the Fusion a boon. Can push through on bad roads without worrying about the car scraping. Ecosport has 10mm better GC & a higher seating position with better seat support. It will really be an inexpensive mini SUV without quality niggles.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 24th June 2013 at 15:19. Reason: added points
sridhar-v is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:23   #1190
BHPian

Took a TD of Titanium Diesel(only TD car available), and was impressed. In fact, the interiors felt better than the demo car kept in malls a couple of months ago. The TD was very short barely a km, need to take a longer one before deciding on the variant, but here are the things that stood out:
1> Steering is not too light like the Amaze or i20, nor its too heavy. The clutch I felt is lighter than Amaze D. Good driveability, can potter around in 2nd gear on most roads.
2> Suspension is on the stiffer side and will have to slow down considerably even for smaller humps.

Took a TD of Fiesta AT soon after, and Ecosport is definitely better in terms of driver seat comfort, ergonomics and other interiors in general.

One question to diesel owners, does the clutch become harder with use ? or will it remain the same?
msmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:39   #1191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
One question to diesel owners, does the clutch become harder with use ? or will it remain the same?
You can bet your last nickel on it. Clutch WOULD harden up with passage of time. More pronounced in diesel cars. Which is why I have decided to buy AT ( any fuel, any type car ) only. In my town, for every 1 km, you change gears 5/6 times.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:40   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
My i20 and fiesta clutches feel the same as when new. The key is proper maintenance and not riding the clutch.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:40   #1193
BHPian

@ACM, Yes the ACN comes from working with Accenture whose stock ticker symbol is ACN so the mistake

Now OK so no freebies, but that was expected.
I think that White AT will not be readily available anyway so it is better to wait.

Meanwhile no one is picking phone @ Harpreet Ford. Semmingly I will have to drop by the shop to get a peep at the picture in Delhi...
Mohitkumaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:51   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You can bet your last nickel on it. Clutch WOULD harden up with passage of time. More pronounced in diesel cars. Which is why I have decided to buy AT ( any fuel, any type car ) only. In my town, for every 1 km, you change gears 5/6 times.
In fact I'm an AT fanboy myself, and have even booked the Amaze AT, but after taking the TD of Fiesta AT I'm in serious dilemma - the car just doesn't decelerate enough even after taking your foot off the throttle and had to hit the brakes very often, and had a slight pain in my right knee after the TD. This may also be due to the low set seats in the Fiesta(even at their highest position). Since the Ecosport will feature the same AT box, the coasting feature might become a bane in city traffic.

In contrast the Ecosport diesel was very driveable and required much less effort, and going by the reviews the ecoboost should be even better. But yes, need to take a longer TD to decide on the variant.
msmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:06   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Now OK so no freebies, but that was expected.
How about corporate discounts? Do manufacturers offer corp discounts for newly launched cars?
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:14   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
How about corporate discounts? Do manufacturers offer corp discounts for newly launched cars?
Not sure about Ecosport, But within 8 months after the launch of Fiesta (Now Classic) in 2005 December, Ford was providing corporate discounts. That too on Ex-showroom price. A leading software service company, which had some tie-up with Ford and employees from that Organization were given a lump sum 50k discount on Ex-Showroom price.

Would be great, if see that kind of deals for Ecosport. But given the current environment, there is nothing stopping Ecosport, other than Ford itself.

Last edited by sbala : 24th June 2013 at 16:39.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:17   #1197
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite surprised by the rush towards this 'Pre-booking'! It's like as if only 10000 cars are available and Ford is going to run out of Ecosports :P

It's a well known fact that cars with aggressive cost cutting are prone to niggles and expected to be sorted out over a period of time. Case in point is the Figo itself.

Isn't it wise to have a detailed TD of the car, compare the prices & be reasonably sure of the reliability/quality before plonking in those big bucks?
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:19   #1198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post

In India, many people buy cars/SUVs not only for necessity, but also for showing off, if they can afford. Comparing this with Duster, i think people bought duster because not only because it was new, but also it was with a foreign touch 'Renault' and to add to that it looked bigger and people like u and me can brag about their "SUV".. So, the pricing will be very important role as i dont think many people will pay 11-12 lakhs OTR for vehicle, of this size, how much ever technology u put in the car, certainly Ford is not a Mercedes..
See, this is the problem with the general consumer. They tend to equate the price-tag to the size of the car. And several people find it ridiculous to spend 10 lakhs on a car that's no larger than a hatch. What they should ideally do is understand their priorities and buy cars accordingly.

The EcoSport is a capable product. Certainly more capable than large hatchbacks like the Swift and i20. So I don't understand why people want Ford to price it on par with large hatchbacks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th June 2013 at 16:20.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:26   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I'm quite surprised by the rush towards this 'Pre-booking'! It's like as if only 10000 cars are available and Ford is going to run out of Ecosports :P

It's a well known fact that cars with aggressive cost cutting are prone to niggles and expected to be sorted out over a period of time. Case in point is the Figo itself.

Isn't it wise to have a detailed TD of the car, compare the prices & be reasonably sure of the reliability/quality before plonking in those big bucks?
Well, I had been waiting for almost a year for this car to arrive, so please understand the urge.

Some people play it safe, but some do not mind taking a bit of risk, in order to own the latest car or gadget.

And if everybody waits for long term reliability reports, well who will provide these reports, if all were waiting. Now, rest of the world can thank us beta testers.
civic-sense is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:41   #1200
BHPian

The dealers are unsure and are creating hype or there is something amiss in production plans. A back of the envelope calculation indicates Ford needs approximately 17000 EcoSport units to fulfill 100 cars per dealer demand in the first 30 days odd post launch, given their 170 dealer network. If the demand persists at 5000 units per month, they can easily fulfill it as they have done with Figo. Moreover, the installed capacity is 200,000 per year; and Ford India MD has gone on record about all production metrics geared to meet anticipated demand going through roof. If they split capacity of 16000 cars a month between 8000 EcoSport, 5000 Figo and 3000 for Classic, Endeavor and Fiesta for a quarter, this will be a good beginning.
My bet is the availability won't be a problem, however dealers can cite the demand to save on any discounts or promotions and realize full value. The question however is whether there is so much demand at the cusp of B+/C segments, if there is - I can hear cash registers ringing aloud at Ford.
dnahelix is offline   Reply With Quote