Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 4th September 2014, 11:38   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes A-Class : Official Review

Adding to A180 CDI differences (compared to petrol variant) pointed out by Siddhu_75, the diesel I drove did not have dual-zone climate control. But it did have a reverse camera!
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 13:52   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkakkilaya View Post
Need a small info. A close friend of mine has this Mercedes . Now twice the front left tyre has blown while driving at normal speeds. The tyres that came with it are continentals. Is there a inherent suspension problem or is it the tyres ..
He wants to change tyres , can someone suggest Pirelli or michelin
Funny you say this cos I have had 2 blowouts on my A class as well. Got it repaired but the tyres have bulges on them. A new tyre it seems would cost me 11,500. Have ordered one.
anekonda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 15:22   #138
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The diesel (Style variant) is a 4-cylinder, 2.2L CRDI powerplant. In the A-class however, the engine has been detuned and puts out a not-so-exciting 108 horsepower @ 3200 - 4400 RPM (the same engine in the E220 CDI makes 170 BHP!). The A-Class provides C-segment power at D-segment pricing.
More powerful A class & B class diesel's here for Homologation. Should get the same state of tune of about 134bhp from the recently launched GLA!

Mercedes A-Class : Official Review-200.jpeg
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
More powerful A class & B class diesel's here for Homologation. Should get the same state of tune of about 134bhp from the recently launched GLA!

Attachment 1296596
this should make the A and B more exciting, and give some serious in-house competition to GLA, and obviously now be at par with the 1-series.
lalittalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 17:05   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post

Attachment 1296596
If they can start CKD operations and offer A200 Diesel (Edition 1) at a slightly lower price point, maybe 1 or 2 lacs lower.

In my eyes A class is already a winner.

Whatte Find Sirjee
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 13:30   #141
BHPian

Default Mercedes A-Class : Official Review

Test drove the A class Edition 1 lately and Mercedes have improved upon the suspension part. Now it feels much more comfortable than before and the cabin feels much quieter. The pano roof on diesel variant is also a nice addition. One thing I din't like about the A class when I test drove it during its launch in India was the highly stiff suspension and not so powerful engine combo. Earlier there was no comfort as well as power, now atleast it's comfortable. The engine tuning is still a huge let down though. While revving, I kept thinking about the state of tune of the same size oil burner in the E & C class. Atleast if that was available, this car would have been a winner not only by looks, but performance wise too.

This is what is irritating as well as disappointing when you start looking for a car. Just when you feel that some car could meet all your requirements, you discover that one important thing missing. How would a drive focused potential buyer appreciate the engine power of A class for the money spent! Only if it had better state of tune. Now launching an AMG is not the answer for this because that would make the car so much more costly that it belongs to a whole different category. All it needs is a better tune like in E or C class with the same motor. Then its a complete hot hatch.

Probably all those are missing to keep a check on the cost. Only if the import duties were less punishing... sigh!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 8th November 2014 at 13:57. Reason: Spacing
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 20:09   #142
BHPian

A close friend of mine who has an Accord wants to get an A class only for Self driving. He wanted to know the ex showroom price being at 25Lakhs for the diesel what discounts he would be getting, if any? Also should he wait for the retuned engines? He fears that the price would increase and he wouldnt get any discounts with the updated engines.Also when would the new ones be launched?
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 08:26   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Test drove the A class Edition 1 lately and Mercedes have improved upon the suspension part.
Could you help me with my query above as you have TD the A class recently
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 10:22   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
A close friend of mine who has an Accord wants to get an A class only for Self driving. He wanted to know the ex showroom price being at 25Lakhs for the diesel what discounts he would be getting, if any? Also should he wait for the retuned engines? He fears that the price would increase and he wouldnt get any discounts with the updated engines.Also when would the new ones be launched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Could you help me with my query above as you have TD the A class recently

I had test driven the diesel edition 1 which was recently launched. If your friend is a spirited driver, as in one who enjoys power drives occasionally, A might not feel worth it. But if he can be satisfied with the looks, quality of materials and built, sporty interiors and the 'not too bad but not very powerful' (mediocre) engine, then A isn't a bad option either. Since you mentioned it's strictly self drive, I think he should do a test drive comparo himself between A class, 1 series and A3. Since each of those cars have their own strengths and weaknesses, depending on what takes priority for your friend, he could take a more informed decision after a test drive.

If he is looking only at A, its an amazing hatchback. Not at all a bad car. Like every other car, this one has drawbacks too, say like engine tune for a car costing that much, missing front parking sensors, etc. Only thing is, if he is ready to live with it, for it's his hard earned money.

Regarding discounts, I doubt if the newly launched edition 1 would have any. I haven't checked on what's news with engine tuning for the future either. Best would be to contact the Merc dealer in his area to find out those details.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 13:19   #145
BHPian

Post Re: Mercedes A-Class : Official Review

Facelifted A-Class launched @ Rs. 24.95L (Petrol) & Rs. 25.95L (Diesel).

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-399035.aspx
neeld is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 14:59   #146

All,

Am looking at the following advice or inputs for enhancing the usability of 2013 A180.

1. Ground clearance - Regardless of all the techniques I am adhering to, I am just not being able to avoid the odd hit under the belly and some of them are really hard on the car and my servicing cost.
- Is there any solution going for higher profile tyres
- Any viable solution with suspension unit

2. The earlier versions of A180 does not have rear parking sensors. I have been asking if I can integrate a 3rd party kit and integrate on the central display unit.
- do let me know if there any other options anyone has tried.
3. This is purely decorative and not top priority for me - Panaromic Sunroof
- I hear that 6th Gear (Bangalore) is a good place to fit a Sun roof, is it true. Any other place other than Merc dealers where I can go to.

Thanks in advance
Sunil
socradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 17:03   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by socradamus View Post
All,

Am looking at the following advice or inputs for enhancing the usability of 2013 A180.

1. Ground clearance - Regardless of all the techniques I am adhering to, I am just not being able to avoid the odd hit under the belly and some of them are really hard on the car and my servicing cost.
- Is there any solution going for higher profile tyres
- Any viable solution with suspension unit

2. The earlier versions of A180 does not have rear parking sensors. I have been asking if I can integrate a 3rd party kit and integrate on the central display unit.
- do let me know if there any other options anyone has tried.
3. This is purely decorative and not top priority for me - Panaromic Sunroof
- I hear that 6th Gear (Bangalore) is a good place to fit a Sun roof, is it true. Any other place other than Merc dealers where I can go to.

Thanks in advance
Sunil
1. Ground clearance - yes you could try higher profile tyres. You could also use Suspension Dampers like Rogerab. Or if you've got the cash, Bilstein/ Ironman suspension makeovers.
2. Parking Sensors and other electronics. I would think long and hard about fiddling with any of the Merc's Electronics - mostly because you will go straight out of warranty coverage if you do.
3. Sunroof - Same feedback as above. Plus, a Non Factory fitted Sun Roof will simply never be as good as the Original Factory fitted one. I would NOT chance it at all.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 22:58   #148

Thanks Shankar,

Will surely keep in mind not to tamper with electronics.

My car is out of warranty and hence thinking of Bilsteins and higher profile tyres now. My next step is to find someone like Petes here to do the job. Any recommendations you have (just in case)

Thanks
Sunil
socradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 06:21   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by socradamus View Post
Thanks Shankar,

Will surely keep in mind not to tamper with electronics.

My car is out of warranty and hence thinking of Bilsteins and higher profile tyres now. My next step is to find someone like Petes here to do the job. Any recommendations you have (just in case)

Thanks
Sunil
Pete's. Yes. A very good possibility indeed.
They have a good reputation. Better to stick with a known/ recommended bunch of guys.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 17:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
has there been any material differences in A Class between 2013 and now? Is it worth 36 lakhs to pay for new one or buy 2 -3 year old at 20+ lakhs?

Input much valued.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote