Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 19th July 2013, 13:12   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Verito Vibe : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
But what is astonishing is that this car is not seen in many numbers on the roads of Kerala yet whereas the Ford Ecosport has already made its presence in the state's road-scape.
I saw a light blue one in bombay! Driven by a nice looking middle aged gentleman.

A nice comprehensive review by Parrys sir. Your pictorial depiction is enough for most of the people. Keep up the good work.

That said, here are my observations:
1. Rough edges are seen here and there even through photos.
2. I love the rear looks a lot
3. The awkward boot opening, is the sole deterrent as far I was concerned. I don't carry a lot of stuff in the boot, but it is big stuff, requiring a wide opening. Otherwise, this car fits my requirements to the 'T'

One question,
In you pic showing rear legroom (with your seat adjustment), I found the kneeroom to be a tad less. I am 5'11", and usually the seat goes quite far behind. I am thinking that the person sitting behind me won't have a good kneeroom. Did you by chance sit behind a tall person and see the knee room?
Simple_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:13   #17
BHPian

As always, Again a great review Parrys, Such attention to detail is so refreshing to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

The notch-back is priced at just Rs. 63,000 cheaper than its sedan sibling. For such an old platform, one would expect a more aggressively priced product, but then, M&M have royalties to pay.
I had great expectations from Pawan Goenka & team in terms of the pricing & value! Think Mahindra could've upstaged a major mickey in the hatch market and confirmed itself as a serious player in the passenger car market! Another chance to also change the traditional UV maker image!

Royalties or not, I think they should've sacrificed margins for a great deal of market share/brand building! All factors remaining constant, who wudnt have jumped at a sub 5.5L on-road Diesel hatch(although its not one)!

Last edited by parassoni : 19th July 2013 at 13:17.
parassoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Spare wheel placed below the boot.
This may be a stupid question: As an owner/user, how do I replace the wheel under the boot? Will that need two people, one to position the tyre and the other to tighten the nut? Isn't it going to be really difficult to lift the wheel (which is not light weight) given the lack of space and the awkward position?
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:39   #19
BHPian

Very nice and detailed review indeed.

The boot lid design is very hilarious and awkward when seeing with the traditional boot lid configuration for hatchback. Seeing the pictures loading and unloading the luggage from the boot might be a pain in back.

Also how was the ride quality as compared to its sedan version and its hatchback competitors.
sujay bhandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review Parrys and as some have already noted, your attention to details is remarkable.

I think that the Vibe needs body color radiator grille badly, or may be a better grille altogether. I have seen some on the roads, probably being transported to the showroom. The grille area looks sort of hollow. However, I have a feeling that the manufacturer has made a mistake in the pricing area.

BTW, OT but is 'Pratik's ' a chain of Mahindra showrooms? We have one in our place too, with same sticker; sported in the Red Logan in the first page!

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
This may be a stupid question: As an owner/user, how do I replace the wheel under the boot? Will that need two people, one to position the tyre and the other to tighten the nut? Isn't it going to be really difficult to lift the wheel (which is not light weight) given the lack of space and the awkward position?
This type of design is actually very simple and easy as compared with our lift and keep type of spare wheel.

The bolt provided in the boot area actually lowers or lifts the spare wheel if you loosen up/tighten it. This spare wheel hooking design is same as that on trucks or any UVs.
sujay bhandare is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 13:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice engine, pliant ride, usable boot space and competitive pricing (the only car they really need to worry about is the Etios Liva) will probably translate into 1000 cars/month for the Vibe. What's to be seen is how many of these are cannibalised from big brother Verito!
The sales figures for the Verito+Vibe for the month of June are actually down compared to the previous month. 1316 as opposed to the 1371 units dispatched in May. Considering that M&M pushed out quite a bit of Vibes to the dealers, MOM figures coming down is not exactly encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Wonder if those S shaped structures would obstruct the boot closing if some heavy luggage is loaded.
Look carefully, these S shaped structures move over the rear wheel carving inside the boot. Hence, unless you place something on top of this, there should be no problem having the boot lid shut with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
One question,
In you pic showing rear legroom (with your seat adjustment), I found the kneeroom to be a tad less. I am 5'11", and usually the seat goes quite far behind. I am thinking that the person sitting behind me won't have a good kneeroom. Did you by chance sit behind a tall person and see the knee room?
I did not get a chance to sit behind anyone during the review, however, the seating position is a bit tall. So, may be you might have your seat a little ahead than what you are assuming right now. But I cannot deny that sitting behind a person as tall as you will leave minimum legroom for the rear passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Well, I cannot comment if it will take two to do the job here. But I can assure you that you will need to change your clothes after switching the spare wheel; unless you use a ramp to lift the car up.
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 14:55   #23
BHPian

@ parrys: The Glove Box Light is connected to the Theater Dimming Mechanism, as also in Logan, and goes after a certain delay time. When i took delivery of my Logan i was worried of the same and then came up with the idea of putting in a Mobile with video cam mode on to see if it actually goes off. And it did after a timing delay, sorry don't remember the delay time though.
I have crossed 1.0 L and counting on Mars like conditions of Bangalore roads and speed breakers.
If you can look beyond the design then this car will not make you unhappy and many times i have left Swift Diesel Owners in a weird feeling with proper gearing from a standstill to 100 maneuver on Highways.
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 15:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
@ parrys: The Glove Box Light is connected to the Theater Dimming Mechanism, as also in Logan, and goes after a certain delay time. When i took delivery of my Logan i was worried of the same and then came up with the idea of putting in a Mobile with video cam mode on to see if it actually goes off.
The point I made has nothing to do with the delay.

The button for the glove box light to turn off is placed where the lid shuts in. But, the lid is not a perfect fit to press this switch and turn off the light inside. I tried it multiple times. If I press and hold the glove box, the light goes off, but when I release it & say move over a couple of bumps - the glove box lid releases the pressure from that press button and the light is switched on.

We can hope these minor bugs are ironed out.

Last edited by parrys : 19th July 2013 at 15:15.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 15:05   #25
BHPian

Neatly written review and this can be rated 5*'s.

Since this car is so deeply rooted to CAB's individual buyers will always think before taking the plunge. Just a query? does this qualify as a hatch or a modified sedan?
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 15:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The point I made has nothing to do with the delay.

If I press and hold the glove box, the light goes off, but when I release it & say move over a couple of bumps - the glove box lid releases the pressure from that press button and the light is switched on.

Agreed, that's a different league all together and more on to do with the finishing.
soumobakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 16:14   #27
BHPian

Good review by Parrys. Though the Vibe may not be great in the looks department, it sure seems like a practical car and it would be interesting to see whether it is able to make a dent in the Dezire space.

One question though - what is SRP (embossed on the steering wheel)?. I always thought that the acronym was SRS (Supplemental Restraint System). Has Mahindra come up with some new automotive safety technology?
Rajeev1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 17:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Good review by Parrys. Though the Vibe may not be great in the looks department, it sure seems like a practical car and it would be interesting to see whether it is able to make a dent in the Dezire space.

One question though - what is SRP (embossed on the steering wheel)?. I always thought that the acronym was SRS (Supplemental Restraint System). Has Mahindra come up with some new automotive safety technology?
Renault Duster also comes with SRP. I have quoted below the line from GTO's Duster review:

"SRP (System for Restraint and Protection), not SRS (Supplementary Restraint System). An integrated safety system that decides airbag deployment based on certain parameters of the seat, seatbelt, pretensioner & load limiter:"

Trust this helps.
diwa is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 19:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Forgive me for my poor drawing skills.

Have a look at the picture below, green section being the mouth of the boot and the grey border being a bag.

You have to literally lift the bag while taking it out. Look at the yellow section above the mouth, this part usually pops open in a sedan to make unloading a bit easier. But here, you have to get your stuff in and out in a horizontal manner, which will definitely be a task when the cargo is on the heavier side. Not to forget that the bags might scratch the bumpers while doing so.

Attachment 1113179
I am considering getting a frugal diesel hatch with lots of interior space, but this is the main drawback that pulls me away from this car - the boot and its opening and i completely agree with this gentleman. I would have preferred for this car, the same style like the old "Accent Viva"'s boot opening design, which I liked a lot.. (picture courtesy: Indiacar.com)

and the 2nd image of the picture below.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2013 at 19:36. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 22:15   #30
BHPian

A very well made review by Parry.
I wish M&M had put in such an effort into this car as well. Not that the Vibe is bad; in fact it is far from that, but Mahindra have created a car which can only be called tight ass.d.
Also the steering is particularly hard at slow / parking speeds and compares most unfavourably with the modern automobile.
The car has a great ride, good clutch ( much better than the Swift at least), reasonable brakes and a wonderfully linear engine- very much like the Figo's diesel but with a tad more grunt. The car has a timeless look and thankfully makes no pretence to be dainty. I like butch cars because cars are not creatures that live indoors: they need to be ready to face the extremes of weather and all the hell that the roads can offer. This is one such car. Something a man who needs a car would buy and not a sparkling possession to be polished and displayed to a (hopefully) jealous neighbour.
But Mahindra haven't done a real job on it and made a fine hash of it. A boot that is half baked and not practical.
And the pricing is downright stupid because it has left the car potential buyers no good 'vibe'.
My verdict; a good car for luggageless people who drive on straight but bad roads
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote