Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th May 2016, 18:01   #91
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid : Official Review

Toyota India has slashed the prices of it's Camry Hybrid luxury sedan in Delhi by a whopping 2,30,000 rupees!

This comes in the wake of the Delhi government reducing Excise duties to 12.5 percent, from the previous 24 percent, under the NEMMP (National Electric Mobility Mission Plan).

The Camry Hybrid is powered by a 2.5L (2AR-FXE) petrol engine in conjunction with a 143PS-producing electric motor and a 6-speed CVT, which boosts the total power output to 205PS, while returning an ARAI-certified fuel economy figure of 19.16 kmpl.

Toyota Camry Hybrid : Official Review-toyotacamry2015hybrid.jpg

Maruti Suzuki announced the revised pricing for the Ciaz SHVS sedan and Ertiga SHVS yesterday and now Toyota has reacted by reducing Rs. 2,30,000 on the Camry Hybrid whilst the standard petrol variant won’t see any change in ex-showroom price.

The regular Camry will continue to be sold at Rs. 30.28 lakh and the hybrid version will now be retailed at Rs. 30.90 lakh.

Since the Delhi-NCR diesel vehicle ban of above 2,000cc powered cars came into effect, the sales of the Camry Hybrid has improved as it’s eco-friendly.

Under the FAME (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles) scheme devised by the Indian government earlier to encourage more eco-friendly vehicles from the two-wheeler and four-wheeler manufacturers, the Toyota Camry Hybrid received an incentive of Rs. 70,000.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th May 2016 at 18:05.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:51   #92

How does this work out on-road? Suddenly petrol camry makes no sense since it is less powerful and looses out on some kit (other than the battery pack) like more adjustments to lumbar support and hill hold. It puts out more power in tune of 202 bhp compared to pertrol's 158 bhp.
The hybrid model also solves the problem of poor fuel efficiency that camry is famous for.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 09:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

this comes in the wake of the Delhi government reducing Excise duties to 12.5 percent, from the previous 24 percent
This must have something do with VAT applicable on such vehicles in Delhi. State Government's have no purview on excise duties which are normally changed during budget time.

A good move by Delhi Government and others states should follow. Even central government should support true hybrids like this and if possible take off the Import duty on CBU's under such category with a caveat to produce / export equivalent numbers by setting up production in some fixed time.

The Delhi government has reduced Value Added Tax (VAT) on hybrid cars, battery-operated vehicles and e-rickshaws from 12.5 per cent to 5 per cent, projecting it as

a step towards reducing air pollution in the city. The reduction was one of the measures announced in the 2016-17 Budget.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th May 2016 at 09:16.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 00:11   #94

Hello friends

I am currently on a 32 day driving holiday in Scandinavia, using a Toyota Auris Hybrid Station Wagon with a 1.6 liter petrol engine, rented from Hertz with 4,419 KM on the clock.

I am getting amazing fuel economy - 23.6 KMPL over 1,800 KM so far (12 days) using mostly inter-city routes. Best so far - 27.2 KMPL over a 39 KM stretch, and 27.3 KMPL over a 109 KM stretch.

Admittedly, the car has a few drawbacks :
1. It has a somewhat low power engine, due to which you have to really press the accelerator to get on to a highway from a side road, especially if the ramp is on an up-slope.
2. The battery is tiny, and can propel the car only for about 2 KM or so before the engine cuts in automatically. (The engine keeps cutting in and out automatically depending on the accelerator setting and the slope of the road). However, the battery can run the car even at 60 KMPH, admitted;y for a short distance.
3. The CVT gearbox lacks the feel of a normal automatic gearbox (slush type) let alone a double clutch automatic.
4. The best mileage (26+ KMPL) comes from very gentle acceleration and a speed range of 80-90 KMPH. Driving the car at 110-120 KMPH reduces the fuel economy to about 22-23 KMPL.

Overall, the car is great. Very roomy, comfortable, fairly silent, lots of luggage space etc etc. I am doing all the driving (I am 65+) with my wife as navigator using a Garmin GPS system (Hertz cars, of this class, in Scandinavia don't some with a GPS) updated with a chip containing Europe maps.

I cannot help comparing this car to my Scorpio VLX Automatic 4X4 in which I drove 7,700 KM over 31 days (Kolkata to Kerala) with 14 KMPL overall.

I am looking forward to driving over to Norway soon (been through Denmark and currently near Stockholm, Sweden) where I expect to find many twisting, hilly roads which should be great fun.

benu9714 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote