Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2014, 23:18   #496
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

I am not sure if there is something wrong in my car, but here are further few observations:

1) 50 kmph in 4th, I want to close a gap and I press throttle. Light press results into nothing. Just to compare, my K10 Wagon R would have certainly accelerated fast with similar amount of throttle input.

2) The car is practically dead meat below 2000 rpm in 4th and 5th.

Can anybody confirm my observation or do I need to take the car and get it checked ?

If given generous throttle input, the car is more than reasonably fast for a small diesel. Suzukis are in a different league altogether, but higher throttle input does offer some juice at cost of FE.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 12:10   #497
BHPian
 
chaudh2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 179
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Does the Grand i10 have anchor points to fix a car seat? If not - is it easy to get them fixed?
I have almost decided on the grand i10 - my only competitors are the etios liva or sail UVA which give more space.
Where? In the boot? For the sixth passenger? I don't think there are any anchor point there. Though there are anchor points for car seats in the cabin area, but they are already used by car seats installed as standard fitment, you don't have to get them installed after market.
On a serious note, there are no isofix points in the car for fixing child seats.
chaudh2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 01:04   #498
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 352
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

can we expect the team bhp review of the automatic grand i10 soon ? is it in the pipeline ?
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:46   #499
Senior - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 3,818 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjithgn View Post
Detailing on the low end torque, I had experienced lack of power while overtaking in 4th Gear at 50kmph. Downshift to 3 becomes mandatory but 3 with rev reaching 3000 rpm pulls off decently till 60 - 65 kmph . 5th is effective only if the car is above 70 - 80 kmph. Not sure if it is a common case of Grand I10, as Whitey had been taken to extremes in the initial days of its operations. Expert advice sought.
The Zen engine is an SOHC engine. SOHC engines typically have good low-end torque, although they can't breathe as easily at the top-end.

The 1.2L Kappa engine is a DOHC engine, which by nature have weaker low-end torque. Hyundai improved this by adding VTVT for the refresh of the i10 a few years ago, and it is this VTVT variant of the engine that powers the Grand i10 also.

Can you try a test drive in another Grand i10 to see if this loss of power is specific to your car, or if its just a difference in perception based on your prior Zen experience?

I've driven a friend's 1.2L i10 (not Grand, but the facelifted i10) and base my above comments on comparative performance against my 1.3L Getz.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 10:39   #500
BHPian
 
chaudh2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 179
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I am not sure if there is something wrong in my car, but here are further few observations:

1) 50 kmph in 4th, I want to close a gap and I press throttle. Light press results into nothing. Just to compare, my K10 Wagon R would have certainly accelerated fast with similar amount of throttle input.

2) The car is practically dead meat below 2000 rpm in 4th and 5th.

Can anybody confirm my observation or do I need to take the car and get it checked ?

If given generous throttle input, the car is more than reasonably fast for a small diesel. Suzukis are in a different league altogether, but higher throttle input does offer some juice at cost of FE.
I think there is something seriously wrong with your car. You need to get it examined at some HASS. 1500-2750 RPM range is the peak torque range for this engine and no matter what gear you are in, if you are in this RPM range, you will be rewarded with a decent pull. Mind you, it is no 1.3MJD, and you need to keep your expectations right. This engine is for those who want good driveability/FE and not for pedal to the metal type drivers. It would be better if you sell this one and buy a MJD equipped car if you want good acceleration. In fact you should have done this homework before buying.
chaudh2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 09:18   #501
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I think there is something seriously wrong with your car. You need to get it examined at some HASS. 1500-2750 RPM range is the peak torque range for this engine and no matter what gear you are in, if you are in this RPM range, you will be rewarded with a decent pull. Mind you, it is no 1.3MJD, and you need to keep your expectations right. This engine is for those who want good driveability/FE and not for pedal to the metal type drivers. It would be better if you sell this one and buy a MJD equipped car if you want good acceleration. In fact you should have done this homework before buying.
I get the slow-but-gradual-build-up acceleration only if I use the throttle generously. What I am trying to chip in is that the acceleration is not effortless. But its not as good as I was expecting. My car has seen 1700 kms till date, out of which only 350 kms are on highway. Lets hope that the engine opens up a bit. Will be checking out the a TD vehicle to ascertain if there is something wrong with my particular car.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 20:10   #502
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,919
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I get the slow-but-gradual-build-up acceleration only if I use the throttle generously. What I am trying to chip in is that the acceleration is not effortless. But its not as good as I was expecting. My car has seen 1700 kms till date, out of which only 350 kms are on highway. Lets hope that the engine opens up a bit. Will be checking out the a TD vehicle to ascertain if there is something wrong with my particular car.
When i test drove the Grand and Xcent diesels, i felt exactly the same. The engine moves only after giving it bit of a stick.

The petrol is quite peppy though. Any reason you didn't opt for petrol? Is your monthly running too high?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 20:13   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
When i test drove the Grand and Xcent diesels, i felt exactly the same. The engine moves only after giving it bit of a stick.

The petrol is quite peppy though. Any reason you didn't opt for petrol? Is your monthly running too high?
So, first is that my car is OK! What a relief!
My monthly running is around 600 kms., 700 max. I opted for diesel considering better efficiency that, even if the price is brought to equilibrium with petrol, running cost/km would be manageable. Also, the car might hit highways, which is where diesel comes into its own; the diesel torque helps me cruise while I am in powerband, very effortless overtaking. Better resale value was another criteria. At the end of the day, I see pathetic traffic conditions in my city, which has highest density for vehicles in entire gujarat ( something I read an year or so ago ). The petrol will lose FE more rapidly than diesel in traffic with heavy density.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th June 2014 at 20:15.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 18:41   #504
BHPian
 
g_saunak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 55
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

I was surfing through the Hyundai India's Grand i10 Page and found that there is a provision for the FE display. Please see carefully between the red box in image.

Is there any way this feature be turned on? After all all it requires is a software upgrade. Or am I looking at the European Spec's MID which is re-used in the website only ?
Attached Images
 
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:08   #505
BHPian
 
Raghav_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Hyundai India has got it wrong. Their website states the same for Xcent too, but fuel economy is not available in Xcent's MID too.

We enquired Hyundai showroom and they said it's a mistake, and the feature may be added later, but no ETA as such.
Raghav_K is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2014, 19:54   #506
BHPian
 
g_saunak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 55
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Yah !!! Seems so. But may be in near future we can get this thing enables at the ASS. Similar to the Auto Door Lock-Unlock in i20s. Lets keep fingers crossed.

BTW does any one have original / live ( I mean not the ones from the website ) pictures of the different colors of Grand i10? The majorly available colors are mainly Twilight Blue, Grey, White and Wine Red. Does anyone have the pics for Silky Beige ???
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2014, 10:31   #507
BHPian
 
chaudh2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 179
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Is there a way to copy all the contents(songs) of a USB into the inbuilt memory, at once? Am able to copy just one song at a time which is very frustating.
Having driven a punto emotion pk earlier for 4.5years, i find the so called features of feature rich grand i10, pretty much useless. The features are so badly planned and executed they are a pain.

The steering mounted phone contols as an example. You cannot scroll through your contacts or last dialled numbers via steering wheel. You have to reach out to a dial far away on dashboard to scroll through contacts.

Further, if your contact list is very big, you will have to keep scrolling-scrolling until you decide to rather dial it from your phone itself. There is no segregation of contacts alphabatically, like A-D, D-G, G-L and no scroll (up-down) buttons on steering. That way it's so much easier to find your contact to dial. My punto was so convenient in this regard.

Gi10 doesn't even remembers the last dialled numbers, every day it asks you to download last dialled numbers.
The rear wiper doesn't automatically comes on, on engaging reverse, if front wipers are on. The doors don't autolock on moving. MID doesn't show anything (barring a useless tripmeter/avg speed/engine on duration display).

This Gi10 seriously needs some software update to have these included. Punto features are much more thoughtful that way.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 00:24   #508
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,195
Thanked: 555 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Visited the Advaith Hyundai showroom last week with a colleague who is purchasing an i20. Got a chance to check out the Grand i10 and Xcent. What I noticed was that the sound when closing the doors of the i10 and Xcent is a very plush, damped thunk, even when compared to that of the i20.

Over the weekend while going over reviews of the i10 (Grand) in the UK, I heard the reviewer mention that Hyundai has added extra seals around the door, and damping on the firewall to prevent wind, engine and general outside noise from filtering into the cabin. I assumed that this is the reason for the sound that the doors make on closing them.

I like A family member is booking an Xcent, hence the interest.
VeluM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 15:46   #509
BHPian
 
TheLizardKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 202
Thanked: 465 Times
Question OTR Mumbai for Asta (O) Petrol

Hi,

Can someone please give me the OTR Mumbai price for a Grand i10 Asta (O) Petrol? We have shortlisted it, and will start the purchase process soon. The Modi Hyundai dealer at Santacruz has given an on-paper quote of Rs 6.6 lakhs.

I am looking for first-hand information from someone who has actually purchased the car, or knows someone who has.

Thanks in advance.
TheLizardKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 15:51   #510
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,919
Thanked: 333 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Visited the Advaith Hyundai showroom last week with a colleague who is purchasing an i20. Got a chance to check out the Grand i10 and Xcent. What I noticed was that the sound when closing the doors of the i10 and Xcent is a very plush, damped thunk, even when compared to that of the i20.
I find the front doors to have that "thunk" you are talking about in my Xcent.

Rear doors don't fell very heavy though.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi Sportz - My Ownership Review GRAND23 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 37 4th February 2015 08:52
Review: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol. And how I was nearly tricked... g_saunak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 26 5th August 2014 17:23
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 331 15th September 2013 20:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks