Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th January 2015, 18:17   #676

Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
w.r.t the top gear episode, you forgot to mention about the diesel jaaag with a much bigger turbo and much bigger engine also did the same, at a lower mpg, but with wasteful driving over most of the journey.
Indeed! that Jag was extraordinary, Jeremy also says at the end that the Jag still had enough diesel in the tank to do another 120 odd miles, Only if Jeremy had somehow known that beforehand, he'd have smoked that little POLO. Unbelievable for a twin turbo V6!!
SydNaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 10:17   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
A member who owns both innova and grandi10 was also saying visibility issues could be a valid negative point in case of grandi10. I have not personally driven grand so can't comment. Seems like you have driven grandi10. How does it fare in terms of front visibility compared to other cars.
Well, I've been driving cars for the past 23 years. Over the years I have owned and driven extensively, M-800, Zen, Swift, City, Punto & Gi10. I have also driven scorpio, fabia, fiesta(new). I find visibility in swift, fabia, punto and city to be lesser than Gi10 at varying levels. Visibility is a non issue in Gi10 and I sometime feel, people rake up this issue in Gi10, out of some personal vendetta(don't hold my neck over it!).
But seriously, the view outside is pretty clear and you feel in control of the car and road with minimal blindspots.
Whenever one changes a car, he/she requires some time to adjust to the new car, but there was no such issue with Gi10, when I took delivery of the car. I was immediately comfortable with the driving experience.
Though the car is not perfect (far from it) but visibility- no issue at all.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 13:25   #678
BHPian

I need a car (a hatch to be precise) to compliment my C-Class Merc to provide me the luxury of "Park Anywhere and Walk Away in Peace" privilege.

- The car will 100 % be driven in City Conditions.
- The car will possibly be driven by Mom and Sis (both novice drivers).
- The car has to be an Automatic.
- The car is intended to be driven for 3-4 years.
- The car should be budgeted around 7.5 L + or - 1 L.
- Hassle free ASS and Reduced Service Cost.

The car will be a replacement of an existing 7 year old Zen Estilo. So naturally, all my comparisons will be directed towards it.

Post my test drive, the very first point that struck me was that the steering was heavier on the nicer side. I felt that was a good decision by Hyundai to place a heavier steering wheel given the light weight of the car. I know it can't be compared, but I am reminded of the BMW X1. The second interesting point was the cabin space, especially rear leg space. I am a 6 footer and despite that the rear pax were not complaining of lack of leg space. The engine response to revving was decent. The TD vehicle's brakes
were a bit oversensitive though. Overall, a decent package I must say.

Given all of the above, I found only Grand i10 to meet all my requirements.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th January 2015 at 12:48. Reason: Editing spacing and punctuation for better readability
BoeingDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 13:46   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
I need a car (a hatch to be precise) to compliment my C-Class Merc to provide me the luxury of "Park Anywhere and Walk Away in Peace" privilege.

Given all of the above, I found only Grand I-10 to meet all my requirements.
Other options are:
1. Honda Brio AT
2. Nissan Micra CVT
3. Maruti Celerio AMT

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 14:11   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post

Given all of the above, I found only Grand I-10 to meet all my requirements.
My only grudge with the Grand is that it doesn't come with safety features in the Automatic variant, not even as an option. I would really urge you to consider the alternatives like the Brio or Micra AT that do come with safety features. The arguments like "the car will be driven 100% in city" do not hold any merit as it might be the drunk driver overspeeding and hitting you and hence the above should not be compromised.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 16:13   #681
BHPian

What is an ideal asking price for Asta (O) petrol variant in Bangalore? I bought the car for 6.7Lakhs.
D'Artagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 17:38   #682
BHPian

Hi to all Grand i10 owners. Excellent review GTO and thank you very much. The attention to detail is awesome and this review serving as an user manual to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
What is an ideal asking price for Asta (O) petrol variant in Bangalore? I bought the car for 6.7Lakhs.
Asta (o ) Petrol OTR comes to Rs 6. 91 L ( Non Metallic ) and Rs 6. 95 L ( Metallic ). White comes only as a Non Metallic colour in Grand i10. I too bought it for Rs 6.71 L after the december insurance discount.

The present price of Grand i10 post increase comes to Rs 7.21 L ( Non Metallic ) and Rs 7. 26 L ( Metallic ) approximately. The price includes road tax, extended warranty, Insurance ( fom the dealer ) and incidental expenses.
Grand Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 18:10   #683
BHPian

I don't have any idea. If you are selling individually, you might get a good price. Post it in our used car prices thread or use our used car price calculator in classifieds to know the price.
Grand Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 17:47   #684

Hi All BHPians,

First of all, thank you to all members for providing your valuable comments and thoughts on this thread. After going through all the messages, I went ahead and booked Grand i10 Asta (AT) Twilight Blue.

We booked on the 30 of Dec so got around 30k discount from DSC Hyundai, Chennai. Took delivery of the car on 11th January 2015. (Apologies for the delayed post.)

I have the following queries:
1. I had asked for a reverse horn option. Dealer says they cannot do it. After a bit of conversation, they say it can be done but they need to cut the wires :O and add warranty would be affected too. He is suggesting to go for Minda security system (reverse horn, lock sound, tamper protection) and is quoting 3500 (inclusive of labor charges). Can you all please let me know if this is the only option to get the reverse horn? I do not want the lock sound.
2. Last week, after a brief drizzle, there was water under the rear windshield, below the wiper attachment. Kindly let me know if this normal.

I apologize for the huge post. This is my first car and I am more than little clueless.

Thanks,
Kumar
codenameraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 20:11   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codenameraider View Post
Hi All BHPians,

I have the following queries:
1. I had asked for a reverse horn option. Dealer says they cannot do it. After a bit of conversation, they say it can be done but they need to cut the wires :O and add warranty would be affected too. He is suggesting to go for Minda security system (reverse horn, lock sound, tamper protection) and is quoting 3500 (inclusive of labor charges). Can you all please let me know if this is the only option to get the reverse horn? I do not want the lock sound.

Thanks,
Kumar
Reverse horns are illegal as per Supreme Court Judgement, just like sun films. Also it is nuisance for others especially when used at night. So it is better to stay away from them.
http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/a...-before-jan-10
vinayasurya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 10:20   #686
Senior - BHPian

I noticed something strange in my Grand i10.
Yesterday, I was revving my engine at 3000 rpm to scare some puppies away so that the car could be parked. I was out with my mother to get fruits and vegetables which I can just not pick up correctly.

I held onto 3000 rpm for few moments and suddenly the engine rpm died down to 2600 rpm. I was shocked to see this. Floored the pedal to no effect, the rpm would stick at 2600. I lifted off, tried this again at 4000 rpm and similar effect, after certain time interval the engine rpm came down to 2600 rpm.

This could be a "feature" but then there is no mention of the same in Manual it seems. Has anybody else faced this ?

My car is diesel Grand i10.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 10:37   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I noticed something strange in my Grand i10.

This could be a "feature" but then there is no mention of the same in Manual it seems. Has anybody else faced this ?

My car is diesel Grand i10.
I'd imagine that this would very much be an intentional cut off at idle. Some cars rev up to only a particular RPM when in idle to prevent any possible engine damage and usually brochures don't mention this.

This could possibly be the case with the Grand diesel too. If the ECU detected any possible threat to the engine due to excess revving at idle, it may have restricted the revs to 2,600. Although, I may be wrong.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 22:48   #688

Great Review GTO and thanks other BHPIAN's for their huge contribution on the Grand i10.

Based on this review and ownership reviews, I purchased the Grand i10 Magna CRDI Red Wine (nick named : RORY) and feeling loved with it, today the ODO reads 6303 km after 9 months of ownership.

One point to highlight is the turbo lag- which is observed very clearly when you are on highways other than this rest of the car is awesomeness.

Today afternoon one motorist hit Rory's lift side mirror and he flew before I could stop him. Attaching the pictures of damage - the whole unit assembly came out, luck was with me and the mirror got saved.

Went to the service center and got a quotation of 6000+Rs for the replacement of the mirror unit as the main ball joint clamping unit was broken which hold the mirror assembly.

Need your expert advice if there is any alternate option so that I can save my pocket from going under the knife.

Thanks
Attached Images

grand@rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 10:41   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand@rao View Post

Went to the service center and got a quotation of 6000+Rs for the replacement of the mirror unit as the main ball joint clamping unit was broken which hold the mirror assembly.

Thanks
Rs. 6,000/ seems too high. More so, because Rory is the Magna variant which doesn't have the electronic retracting mechanism. Are they electrically adjustable though? Why don't you go to another service centre for a second opinion?
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 11:21   #690
BHPian

Dear all,

Anybody owes the LPG variant as I need some advice.

The Hyundai dealers aren't providing the lpg variant test drive.

Need reviews for the same.
Abhi_abarth is offline   Reply With Quote