Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 6th October 2015, 21:08   #841
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
If I may suggest, considering your Grandfather's requirements, upgrading to an i10 from the Santro makes more sense(than the Grand i10). Bear in mind though that the i10 is only available with the 1.1L iRDe2 engine now. The Grand i10's low seat position is unsuitable for the elderly.
I already own a Grand i10 and the low seating is what's bothering him. You might have missed it in my post
Thanks anyways!
shreyak_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 22:25   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I already own a Grand i10 and the low seating is what's bothering him. You might have missed it in my post

Thanks anyways!

What he meant was that you should go for the i10 and not the Grand i10.
i10 has a bit more upright seating position unlike the low slung of the Grand i10.
Hope that clears it up.
akhil994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 17:38   #843
BHPian

Does the Sportz variant (Petrol) have an anti-theft alarm? If it has, how do I test it?
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 11:22   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Does the Sportz variant (Petrol) have an anti-theft alarm? If it has, how do I test it?
The Sportz variant must have it. You can test it by
1. Locking the car with the remote (keep the driver's side window open)
2. Manually open the lock from the inside(though driver's side window)
3. Open the Door

It should trigger the alarm.I made a video of it in my Gi10 Asta ownership thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3646101 (Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2)
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 11:31   #845
BHPian

Quote:
The Sportz variant must have it. You can test it by
1. Locking the car with the remote (keep the driver's side window open)
2. Manually open the lock from the inside(though driver's side window)
3. Open the Door

It should trigger the alarm.I made a video of it in my Gi10 Asta ownership thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3646101 (Our White Knight - Hyundai Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2)
I tried the above steps. No alarm was triggered.

I just called up the SA. He said that the Sportz variant does not come with the alarm and suggested that I can install an Autocop system with anti-theft alarm and motion sensor.
By doing so, the OEM remote will be rendered useless and I have to use the Autocop remote to lock/unlock. The immobilizer will continue to function, as the chip is built into the key.
He quoted 6.5K and some 3-4 hours of labor.

I am still in a dilemma whether to go with that system or some other system which will blend in with the OEM remote key.
Old 14th October 2015, 11:48   #846
BHPian

Quote:

I just called up the SA. He said that the Sportz variant does not come with the alarm and suggested that I can install an Autocop system with anti-theft alarm and motion sensor.
By doing so, the OEM remote will be rendered useless and I have to use the Autocop remote to lock/unlock. The immobilizer will continue to function, as the chip is built into the key.

I am still in a dilemma whether to go with that system or some other system which will blend in with the OEM remote key.
Doesn't the Sportz trim come with same Smart key, keyless entry & Push Button Start features as the Asta? I clearly remember them seeing it on the Brochure. If so, then the anti-theft alarm has to be there.
Old 14th October 2015, 11:54   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't the Sportz trim come with same Smart key, keyless entry & Push Button Start features as the Asta? I clearly remember them seeing it on the Brochure. If so, then the anti-theft alarm has to be there.
No, the 2015 model comes with a normal key with a remote lock/unlock.

Few features were added/removed in the variant.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 12:12   #848
BHPian

Quote:

That's odd, because the 2015 i10, which sits a segment lower, comes equipped with a normal key with remote( foldable key) and with anti-theft alarm(which gets triggered when the car is unlocked using the key in its keyhole, instead of the the remote)

Old 14th October 2015, 12:32   #849
BHPian

Quote:
That's odd, because the 2015 i10, which sits a segment lower, comes equipped with a normal key with remote( foldable key) and with anti-theft alarm(which gets triggered when the car is unlocked using the key in its keyhole, instead of the the remote)

I called up Hyundai customer care.

The person said Grand i10 Sportz trim does not have an anti-theft alarm.
Funny part is, he even said, that the Asta trim does not have an anti-theft alarm.
Ill informed customer care I must say.
Old 14th October 2015, 12:53   #850
BHPian

Quote:
That's odd,
Quote:

Quote:

I just called up the SA. H

Hi,

As per the Hyundai website, there is no difference in Sportz and Asta Model except the type of Key (Smart/Remote key). So even the 2015 Sporz model with remote key should have alarm. I suggest you to check the fuse box, if it contains a fuse for alarm system.

Also please see below pages from Manual. The Manual does say that even non-smart keys have alarm.
Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-grand_i104.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-grand_i103.jpg

Most Important, the alarm is activated 30 sec after closing the door with remote, so did you wait for 30 sec before opening the door from inside.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 15:58   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_saunak View Post
Seeing a lot of posts about the mileage I got tempted to post a few queries of my own.

My 1.2 L Asta has just covered 10K last week in last 14 months. I usually drive in city bumper to bumper traffic with occasional free stretches. Most of the time the car travels in 3rd gear at 30-35 KMPH. For the free stretches I can go max 50 KMPH and that roads have a number of signals. After all these I get around 11 - 11.5 KM/L max. I run with AC with almost 80-90% of the time. during the winter the mileage shot up to 12.25. BTW all these are measured with tank full (auto cut-off) method.

I took a highway trip to Mandarmani last January and the mileage proved out to be an outstanding 17+ KMPL.

But recently after the second servicing (1 year or 10K KMs) in the month of June, 2015, the mileage has come down noticeably. Not what I am getting is grazing 9.5 - 10.5 KMPL. Nothing has changed in between except the rainy season. But something that about the fuel gauge is worrying me. I can run 50-55 Km without the pointer budging. But after that it is a steady decline. My journey is exactly 28 KMs each day from home -> Office -> Home. Today when I started for office the needle was somewhere in the middle (slightly inclined left) of the second quarter markings. By the time I reached office (14 Kms) It was almost pointing as half tank. I mean that is drastic. Is it normal to see a decline in mileage after the first servicing where the engine oil and filter was changed?

One more question, about a month back an incident happened. I went to a restaurant and gave my car for valet parking. After coming back from the lunch after 2 hours 30 mins when the parking guy handed over the keys to me (It was parked all along right in front of the restaurant and hence just handed me the keys) I found the car was running all along for the past 2.5 hours. The car was like a blast furnace, but the engine temperature gauge was almost normal. I spend almost 15-20 mins with the hood open and windows open before starting to get back home. Looking at the fuel gauge I realized that almost 3-4 liters of fuel was wasted for nothing. Now that I see the mileage is going down after that, what are the possible damages that might have caused by this incident. The car idled for a real long time which is highly abnormal a scenario. Is there any possibility that these two incidents are related somehow?

Feeling a bit concerned about these. I will take it to the service stations, but wanted the inputs of the Gurus here beforehand.

Can anyone please reply to my queries here ? I basically want to know if idling the car for 2 Hr 30 mins have any bad effect on the engine or not.

Last edited by g_saunak : 14th October 2015 at 15:59.
g_saunak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 18:19   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone please reply to my queries here ? I basically want to know if idling the car for 2 Hr 30 mins have any bad effect on the engine or not.
Has the decline in mileage been consistent? I suggest you get the engine oil and air filter checked.
Old 14th October 2015, 22:21   #853
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have a hyundai - but i will dare answer your question.
If the car was running on the highway for 2.5 hrs, would you be asking this question ? unlikely.
The car was idling, the coolant was circulating (however,no airflow hitting the radiator grille, but then the engine was idling, hence not much heat buildup) , the car was in neutral, was it not ? hence clutch pedal was not depressed permanently and no damage there too. The only item to be doubtful about, is the battery (the alternator is not charging the battery much a low engine rpm).

So the simple answer is - NO there is nothing wrong with your car. Apart from some fuel wastage, nothing catastrophic has happened with your car.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 09:51   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi,

As per the Hyundai website, there is no difference in Sportz and Asta Model except the type of Key (Smart/Remote key).
========
Most Important, the alarm is activated 30 sec after closing the door with remote, so did you wait for 30 sec before opening the door from inside.

Thanks @Wanderers.

I checked the same, multiple times with negative results.
No wonder why Hyundai removed such an essential feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I don't have a hyundai - but i will dare answer your question.
==========
So the simple answer is - NO there is nothing wrong with your car. Apart from some fuel wastage, nothing catastrophic has happened with your car.
I had the same point of argument at the back of my mind. But, I cannot relate this incident and the dropping of mileage in @g_saunak 's car.
Old 15th October 2015, 11:27   #855
BHPian

Thanks a lot every one for your kind replies. The mileage drop has become kind of serious over the last two months. Now it barely makes 10KMPL. One more observation that I am getting is there may be something wrong with the AC. As I drive around AC on almost 80% of the time I was well aware of the power loss due to turning it on. But now a days the power loss is so severe that in order to make a overtake I need to turn it off. The moment it is turned off the car springs back to life. I can feel the agility and smooth power transmission instantaneously. With the AC on while slowing down the car almost refuses to go back to speed and I need to work the gears quite a number of times before getting back the power and speed. Some thing is definitely off with it. I will get her checked it immediately. What I doubt is how well the HAS people can detect it and get a remedy.

Will keep you posted regarding this. Thanks a bunch again for all your learned opinions and suggestions. It really meas a lot.

Last edited by g_saunak : 15th October 2015 at 11:28.
g_saunak is offline   Reply With Quote