Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 22:03   #1756
BHPian
 
Hawkeye269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
I'm getting closer to issuing a cheque for a 1.8tsi AT Elegance Zeal in white, and am in the final stages of negotiations
I'm so close now to being a proud Octy owner, I can almost taste it!! Instead of waiting for a month or more, the sales guy has ensured that the car will be reaching the stock yard within a week of payment. If all goes well, I can start on the Team-BHP PDI checklist as early as this weekend
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 14:43   #1757
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 184
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
I'm so close now to being a proud Octy owner, I can almost taste it!! Instead of waiting for a month or more, the sales guy has ensured that the car will be reaching the stock yard within a week of payment. If all goes well, I can start on the Team-BHP PDI checklist as early as this weekend
Do pay a visit at his stockyard anyways. You never know they already have it and are playing hard to get.
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 17:42   #1758
BHPian
 
Hawkeye269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Do pay a visit at his stockyard anyways.
Thanks, Kapil, but I have a question for you and others on this forum. I've naturally reviewed the Team-BHP PDI checklist, and even printed a copy for my reference. The checklist says to do the initial inspection at the stockyard itself. Given that these yards are usually way outside city limits (for the Mumbaikars among you, I'll have to travel from Lower Parel to Bhiwandi - over 45km!), do any of you foresee any problems / issues in accepting my sales guy's offer of getting the car to the showroom and my doing the PDI there?

Look forward to all your inputs!!

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 8th May 2015 at 17:45.
Hawkeye269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 17:57   #1759
BHPian
 
kapiljolly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 184
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Thanks, Kapil, but I have a question for you and others on this forum. I've naturally reviewed the Team-BHP PDI checklist, and even printed a copy for my reference. The checklist says to do the initial inspection at the stockyard itself. Given that these yards are usually way outside city limits (for the Mumbaikars among you, I'll have to travel from Lower Parel to Bhiwandi - over 45km!), do any of you foresee any problems / issues in accepting my sales guy's offer of getting the car to the showroom and my doing the PDI there?

Look forward to all your inputs!!
See, lots of us buy cars from the showroom floor without blinking an eyelid. But with cars that see low takers and have weird delivery times,one must always tread cautiously. Now you have a great product but hundreds of horror ASS stories. So worth checking the stock yard and service center yourself and noting vin numbers of cars same as the one you want to be doubly sure you are not handed down a car used for spare part retreivel. I've seen it happen at a dealership where a new car was stripped off a part required because they had one more same spec car in stock and were in need of parts.
kapiljolly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 18:40   #1760
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Got the tyres swapped today. Michelin Pilot Sports 3 225/50/R16 92W. Unfortunately it is a late 2011 manufactured set, but had a talk with the Michelin engineer, and he confirmed that I am not the only one, and there will not be any issues. Still I was bit apprehensive, but went ahead with the swap.

It took about 2 hours time, mounting the tyre on the rim was not difficult, didn't take much effort since they had a good machine to help. A small nick on one of the wheel cap But I was happy with the rest of the job so didn't bother much.

Old tyres got sold for around Rs. 1200/- each. New came in at Rs. 12450/- each. Total damage to the bank, Rs. 45000/-. Did balancing and alignment too, but was not charged for it, only Rs. 200/- for weights.

Overall, I feel wheel-spin is non-existent now. Noise levels have come down, ride quality has actually improved over bumps and potholes. The pressure kept by the dealer is 33 psi, thinking 30-31 psi should be fine.

The tyre has given the wheel some protection, theres a prominent lip! I hope I had 7.0 J wheels, would look much better.

Will report back after 1000 kms thorough test. In my case shouldn't take more than two weeks.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 8th May 2015 at 18:45.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 18:59   #1761
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Thumbs up Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The tyre has given the wheel some protection, theres a prominent lip! I hope I had 7.0 J wheels, would look much better.
Hi Adi, Good upgrade.

I am also planning similar one. Yet to decide between PS3 225/50R16 92W and P3ST 215/55R16 97W. My car has done 34K Kms. I have another month's time to decide. More I think, more I am getting confused.

Can you please post a picture of the wheel showing the lip. Also, just wanted to know if you considered P3ST also, but still went with PS3 for performance. Or, was there any other factor you considered?
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 07:19   #1762
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 226
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Let the pic do the talking

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-20150411_095709.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Set-o...267367685.html
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 15:46   #1763
BHPian
 
dhall_gagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 164
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Ok. So it sure was a long read but after a superbly detailed review and 118 long pages of discussion read I am going down the aisle with the Octavia.

The only fix is however I am drooling over the zeal edition interiors I absolutely love the race blue color which is not available on zeal.
And yes, it will definitely be a TSi DEFINITELY.

Just one add on. The AFS works on 4 inputs : weight, speed, incoming traffic and suspension inputs. This is the main reason why it's more advanced than any other car in its segment.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th May 2015 at 13:53. Reason: Removed excess dots. Please don't type like... this... Thanks!
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 12:43   #1764
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Will report back after 1000 kms thorough test. In my case shouldn't take more than two weeks.

Adi, what's the update on LED tail lamp swap? I just discovered that CECM byte 18 coding plays an imp role in this coding and sadly that is not fully supported in VCDS!! Damn! VCDS does not give all the options but show very limited options which are not enough for this swap. Gotto try ODIS. Hope that helps. Yet to try that. What's your tail lamp status?
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 13:48   #1765
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Adi, what's the update on LED tail lamp swap? I just discovered that CECM byte 18 coding plays an imp role in this coding and sadly that is not fully supported in VCDS!! Damn! VCDS does not give all the options but show very limited options which are not enough for this swap. Gotto try ODIS. Hope that helps. Yet to try that. What's your tail lamp status?

When I swapped the lights, i got errors because LED but the tail light was working in the format of regular halogen pattern. So that change in coding was possible by ODIS but my dealer didn't know anything about it. I ended up shooting a mail to Vagcode.ru. What brilliantly helpful guys, specially Andrey and Loki, i think they're the same but extremely helpful! They emailed me the complete list of channels which were needed to be modified and I took my laptop to the service center to do it. I used VCDS only not ODIS. All options were available to be changed. Took me an hour or so of changing different values. Mainly to change the bulb type to LED and setting dimmvert values to '0'. For example the rear fog lights were at dimmvert value 16 or 19 so that was set to '0'.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 14:57   #1766
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
When I swapped the lights, i got errors because LED but the tail light was working in the format of regular halogen pattern. So that change in coding was possible by ODIS but my dealer didn't know anything about it. I ended up shooting a mail to Vagcode.ru. What brilliantly helpful guys, specially Andrey and Loki, i think they're the same but extremely helpful! They emailed me the complete list of channels which were needed to be modified and I took my laptop to the service center to do it. I used VCDS only not ODIS. All options were available to be changed. Took me an hour or so of changing different values. Mainly to change the bulb type to LED and setting dimmvert values to '0'. For example the rear fog lights were at dimmvert value 16 or 19 so that was set to '0'.

Wow! I think I messaged the perfect person then! Could you forward me the mail. Hopefully I will get an idea of doing it with VCDS itself. ODIS guides you with explanations of each code and step. VCDS does not. That's why I am stuck at this point with VCDS. Just add @gmail.com and you have my mail id. Thanks adi!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 19:30   #1767
BHPian
 
phreakv6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Went on a trip to Kodaikanal from Bangalore (464 kms) last weekend. The car performed admirably on the highway as well as the ghat roads. What poise! The roads were extremely good all the way via Salem - Dindukal - Vathlagundu.

We started at 4am with a stopover at Salem for breakfast at Grand Estancia for an hour and managed to reach Kodaikanal by 12pm. Did absolutely safe speeds throughout around 100-120kph or so with a rare 140 kph only because the car masks speeds so well on good stretches.

We stayed at an excellent homestay called Serenita homestay for 3 days and left Kodai at 4am on a Monday because of the Jayalalitha verdict which was to be announced that day at 11am and I did not want to be stuck in TN with KA plates if the verdict went against her.

It rained all the way from Kodai to Salem (3 hours or so) and while the 4am pitch darkness, heavy rains and the ghat roads should have been extremely unnerving, there was no such thing on the Octi and it was absolute driving nirvana with the cornering lights and the excellent handling and road grip. We did not make any stops as we wanted to be home by 11am and managed to be home by 10:30am itself despite Bangalore traffic.

The drive back was no doubt spirited as the roads were absolutely empty and I had a time target to meet. Got a mileage of 14 kmpl while going and 12.9 kmpl on the way back. The trip made me experience the cars handling on winding roads, the AFS lights, sunroof and of course the auto-wipers which had to work almost non-stop. Let me finish this off with a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-img_0411.jpg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-img_0421.jpg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-img_20150508_101746.jpg  

phreakv6 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 09:21   #1768
BHPian
 
Hawkeye269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
I'm so close now to being a proud Octy owner, I can almost taste it!!
I'm picking up my new ride this morning, may just start a new ownership / mod thread (would it be the first for an Octavia Zeal edition??)

Here's a pic from my Team-BHP PDI a few days back:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-image.jpg  

Hawkeye269 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 13:00   #1769
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,897 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
I'm picking up my new ride this morning, may just start a new ownership / mod thread (would it be the first for an Octavia Zeal edition??)

Here's a pic from my Team-BHP PDI a few days back:
Kapiljolly has a Zeal edition as well. Photos and some posts in previous pages of this thread.

If you beat him to a ownership report then yours would be the first.

Make sure you take loads of high quality pics of the interiors.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 04:54   #1770
BHPian
 
bhpbreather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
Would like to ask fellow members/owners of the Octavia 1.8 TSi DSG Zeal Editon.
After months of debate and various test drives (Vento TSi, Fortuner, Jetta) I finally walked into the Vinayak Cars Skoda showroom Bellary road, Bangalore and booked an Octavia Zeal Edition TSi DSG in White.
Greetings members. After waiting for about three weeks I got a call from SA at Vinayak Cars saying that the Zeal Edition has been dis-continued and only the regular beige colour (interior trim) will be available. Personally prefer the black interior and was very disappointed.

As I wait and debate I have to say I have test driven many vehicles trying to find similar drive quality from the Honda City CVT, Corolla auto Cruze Auto Verna and Elantra both auto and they do not even match up to the octavia 1.4 Tsi (base trim manual) Automatic being a preference CVT in the i10 seemed better than a lot of the above cars and none matched the DSG like the Polo Vento and Rapid.
I was trying hard to convince myself to cancel the 1.8 Tsi and think from the head but.
I even considered the XUV 500 (facelift) but no automatic hence moved away.

Someone do let me know if the zeal edition is still available (have mailed skoda customer care about the same)

Also I must add I am taking this plunge even though my Skoda Fabia has been at the workshop waiting for a part which is not in stock for over a month.
Vinayak Cars has said that they are looking into the issue and a part is to arrive from Skoda (abroad somewhere).

Am I being smart by waiting so long or simply
bhpbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks