Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2015, 00:04   #1981
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Any news regarding 1.8TSI MT version ?

When the Octavia was launched in India in late 2013, there was no 1.8TSI in MT guise for RHD markets (I had checked Skoda UK website several times well into 2014), while Germany/LHD markets had the 6-speed option.

A few weeks back I checked again on the Skoda UK website, and presto, they now listed a 1.8TSI in MT trim !! So, back to the old query (and hope I guess) that Skoda launch the MT in India too ?
lancer_rit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 07:56   #1982
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Any news regarding 1.8TSI MT version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
When the Octavia was launched in India in late 2013, there was no 1.8TSI in MT guise for RHD markets (I had checked Skoda UK website several times well into 2014), while Germany/LHD markets had the 6-speed option.

A few weeks back I checked again on the Skoda UK website, and presto, they now listed a 1.8TSI in MT trim !! So, back to the old query (and hope I guess) that Skoda launch the MT in India too ?
You're very right, refer page 38 in the link below as it's too big to attach. Interesting to see that even though a manual torque is still restricted to 250 Nm. Why should that be? Thought the actual output was 320 but restricted to 250 to save the DSG.

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/br...re_octavia.pdf
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2015, 23:47   #1983
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Any news regarding 1.8TSI MT version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
You're very right, refer page 38 in the link below as it's too big to attach. Interesting to see that even though a manual torque is still restricted to 250 Nm. Why should that be? Thought the actual output was 320 but restricted to 250 to save the DSG.

https://tools.skoda.co.uk/content/br...re_octavia.pdf
It is 320NM in the 6DSG 4x4 variant. I guess Skoda does not want the 7DSG to have worse torque than the MT - create a disincentive for folks to pay a big premium over the MT ?
lancer_rit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 15:09   #1984
BHPian
 
phreakv6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Has anyone here test driven the new abarth punto? How does it compare to the 1.8 TSI in terms of performance? I know its an unfair comparison considering the segments and price gulf but its such an exciting car that I am curious if someone has tested and can offer their opinion on the performance aspect. We do often compare our Octavias to the luxury segment in terms of performance so it will be interesting to see it being meted out by a hot hatch that costs less than half its price.
phreakv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 15:40   #1985
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: BLR, DMM, TRV
Posts: 85
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
Has anyone here test driven the new abarth punto? How does it compare to the 1.8 TSI in terms of performance? I know its an unfair comparison considering the segments and price gulf but its such an exciting car that I am curious if someone has tested and can offer their opinion on the performance aspect. We do often compare our Octavias to the luxury segment in terms of performance so it will be interesting to see it being meted out by a hot hatch that costs less than half its price.
My cousin did the test drive. He is on the impression that the gear ratios are not spot on. So its seems on performance its not comparable to 1.8 TSI, may be comparable with 1.4TSI.
lovetorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 10:20   #1986
BHPian
 
Haren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Hi,

I want to buy a can of engine oil to top up for my 1.8TSI. This is the oil I have been told to buy by the service guys :

Castrol edge 5W-40 (or 5W-30)

Wanted to check again here to make sure. Please comment.

Also, the oil level is at the mid point between max and min. how much do you think is required for top up?

Thanks,
-haren.
Haren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 11:38   #1987
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Hi,



I want to buy a can of engine oil to top up for my 1.8TSI.



Also, the oil level is at the mid point between max and min. how much do you think is required for top up?



Thanks,

-haren.


You should get the 1 litre oil can from the dealer itself. 99.9% it is the Castrol Magnatec 5W-40. They say they only get it in bulk, but they also get it in small packs of 1 litre or 2 litres.



Also, if the oil level is still above min level, no need to top up.



When did you check the oil level? Optimum oil temperature is between 50-100 degrees celsius for checking its level. You can check Oil Temp in the MFD and then pop the hood to check the level. Have you had the first service yet?

Edit: just checked in my service bill, it is 5W 40 Castrol Magnatec Pro.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 31st October 2015 at 12:03.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2015, 11:52   #1988
BHPian
 
Haren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Thanks very much, Adi .

I checked when the engine is completely cold. I am going on a long road trip next week and wanted to be prepared for the low oil warning. The service manual says Castrol edge is recommended. A small but reliable dealer near my place has 1l cans. On the Castrol website, it says Castrol edge 5w40 is compliant to vw 502 00.

First service is due in December.

Thanks again for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You should get the 1 litre oil can from the dealer itself. 99.9% it is the Castrol Magnatec 5W-40. They say they only get it in bulk, but they also get it in small packs of 1 litre or 2 litres.

Also, if the oil level is still above min level, no need to top up.

When did you check the oil level? Optimum oil temperature is between 50-100 degrees celsius for checking its level. You can check Oil Temp in the MFD and then pop the hood to check the level. Have you had the first service yet?
Haren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:41   #1989
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Adding Navigation and Rear Camera...

Vagtune is offering to install Navigation and a Rear View Camera using the same head unit in a 2014 1.8TSi. How exactly does this work? Has anyone within the group had such a thing installed?
docsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 21:17   #1990
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 80
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
How exactly does this work? Has anyone within the group had such a thing installed?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161560 (My Skoda Octavia...with some modifications)
Here you go pal!

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2015 at 21:22. Reason: Formatted quoted post
zee_bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:25   #1991
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

zee_bat, thanks a ton for pointing the way. The navigation stuff, by all accounts seems inadequate. I have decided to drop the upgrade. At a later date, will try to contact the service guys and see if they can do the upgrade to something more reasonable, considering that the anniversary edition has navigation and camera installed.
docsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:42   #1992
BHPian
 
zee_bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 80
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
zee_bat, thanks a ton for pointing the way. The navigation stuff, by all accounts seems inadequate. I have decided to drop the upgrade. At a later date, will try to contact the service guys and see if they can do the upgrade to something more reasonable, considering that the anniversary edition has navigation and camera installed.

You're welcome! I've asked the service guys here in Delhi for the same upgrade from Skoda itself and they don't seem to know much yet. Update here if your service guys agree to retrofit the OEM camera/navigation
zee_bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 09:41   #1993
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Guys, am aware there is a separate discounts thread but do post any discounts received on any of the Octavia variants here too.
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 14:28   #1994
BHPian
 
motor_breathing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 179
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I have posted this in the anniversary edition thread. Thought I will add it here also for the benefit of few who might miss that thread. I got a Style plus 1.8 TSI Octavia on 2 of October. At around 80km the exhaust warning light came up. I took it to the service center and they did a scan and said the error is coming from upstream O2 sensor and cleared the error code. At around 400km on the odo the light came up again. On 27th Oct the car was send to service center again and they identified the O2 sensor is not working and will be replaced in warranty. After some heated exchanges with dealer and skoda india they provided me a 2010 superb as a spare car. Initially they said the part will com on 5th Nov. As on today the car is still in the workshop waiting for the part to arrive and no one is able to give me a conclusive answer when it will come.
motor_breathing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 15:00   #1995
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I have posted this in the anniversary edition thread. Thought I will add it here also for the benefit of few who might miss that thread. I got a Style plus 1.8 TSI Octavia on 2 of October. At around 80km the exhaust warning light came up. I took it to the service center and they did a scan and said the error is coming from upstream O2 sensor and cleared the error code. At around 400km on the odo the light came up again. On 27th Oct the car was send to service center again and they identified the O2 sensor is not working and will be replaced in warranty. After some heated exchanges with dealer and skoda india they provided me a 2010 superb as a spare car. Initially they said the part will com on 5th Nov. As on today the car is still in the workshop waiting for the part to arrive and no one is able to give me a conclusive answer when it will come.
so sorry to hear this! I hope this is your first and last issue with your new car.
On a side note, I was wondering why just because of a sensor, you have left your car at the A.S.S. I mean can't we just use our car till the new sensor arrive? I am asking this silly question because of the condition in which your new car might be standing at the service centre.

Regards
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks