Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 21:29   #2251
BHPian
 
rugsrags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 142
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Well my TDI has completed 38500kms as of today in the past 2 years... The mileage has been a consistent 13-14kmpl in the city and 18-20 on the highways... I have yet to take it for the 7500km periodic checkup that has been pushed for by the dealership and have overstepped it by a 1k Kms so I'm wondering whether it'll affect my warranty now...
Personally I'm absolutely satisfied by the suspension and the performance too...
rugsrags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 22:18   #2252
sud
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Anyone using 1.8 TSI AT? How is the realistic FE you are getting?
In city: 7-10 dependending upon traffic
Highways driving cruising around 100 kmph with sports mode for acceleration: 14 - 15
Highways driving light footed: 15-17


On a side note, this is an interesting video on things not to do with DCT:
sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 22:31   #2253
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 1,216 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : 1.8 TSI OR 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Absolutely. Purely from the driving experience, Jetta TDi is definitely an option. What Jetta lacks is the fresher look and equipment (AFS II, Sunroof, better HU etc).
.
Since the topic is up, I wanted to know how much more advanced is the AFS 2 in octy? It even detects rain and brightens up even more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Well my TDI has completed 38500kms as of today in the past 2 years... The mileage has been a consistent 13-14kmpl in the city and 18-20 on the highways... I have yet to take it for the 7500km periodic checkup that has been pushed for by the dealership and have overstepped it by a 1k Kms so I'm wondering whether it'll affect my warranty now...
Personally I'm absolutely satisfied by the suspension and the performance too...
Honestly, Get it done, Won't cost you anything much, and would probably take a couple of hours, Just to be on the safer side, You never know when your car might give you any sort of trouble, And if VW and Skoda can decline a warranty claim on a swapped bulb they can very will give the excuse of no timely check-up done or something like that, Since one thing i have always noticed during making any warranty claim, They go through your car with a magnifier and also check past records.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 6th July 2016 at 22:40. Reason: Adding quoted post.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 00:11   #2254
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,835
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Anyone using 1.8 TSI AT? How is the realistic FE you are getting?
AT is actually better for fuel economy as the DSG upshifts pretty quickly to the highest possible gear keeping all factors in mind. My long-term average in BLR city with 90% AC on and a mix of 70% city (rest highway) over 7k km has been 10.5 km/lt. This is with bumper to bumper traffic in city plus some frenzied spurts :-) on the highway sections.

However aggressive driving especially in Sports mode returns around 8!
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 19:23   #2255
BHPian
 
sudheermenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queen of Arabian Sea
Posts: 115
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Thank you all for your inputs. I have decided to go for TDI AT considering the mileage and resale value, though I will have to shell out 2 lakh more. I called a few TSI AT owners and their feedback was not good as far as the FE is concerned. But yes, if you are looking for that explosive performance, 1.8 is the right one, I am not looking for that. I want comfortable drive with good FE and a reasonable resale value.

Thanks
Sudheer Menon
sudheermenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 00:47   #2256
BHPian
 
Pretorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 79
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well, not sure I actually do that in my MT car. I downshift either because I am slowing down routinely or for engine braking - in either case I don't press the accelerator at all.

In my GT, over last 2.5 years and 26000km, I have been observing that the DSG has a bug - if I am in D3 and I brake to slow down(e.g. approaching a speed breaker), it downshifts to D2, but engine tries rev up fighting the brake. Are you experiencing this by chance? IMO, this is clearly a bug. If accelerator is released and brake is pressed, DSG should simply downshift at appropriate point as the speed reduces (which it does) and then it should just maintain minimum revs in D2 (to prevent stalling) or downshift to D1 if required. It should not rev up in D2 until brake is released. They MUST fix this bug.
DSG is behaving just fine, its just rev matching internally. When its downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, your clutch disc will be running at a much higher rpm than the engine. To keep up, the engine revs a bit to match that speed . This is a good practice & prevents less wear on the clutch disc.
Pretorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 03:42   #2257
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,835
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

What is the best way to carry out a explosive start with a DSG gearbox? Should one press the brake at first and/or let the car roll a bit at first and/or then jam the foot down? With the TCS electronic wizardry, the Octavia anyway takes care of the slippage within the tyre's adhesion limits.

My manual Cruze (without TCS) used to spin away to glory as soon as the turbo boost came on so I mastered the art of riding the torque / boost wave and gain the best start. Any pointers for the DSGs?

Briskoda forum posts mention:
ESP off
Stop/start off
Left foot on brake.
Accelerate with right foot. (Should hold at 2500rpm ish)
Release brake

Mods: Hope this is not breaking the forum rules on high speeds etc. Am only checking 'launch control' techniques :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th July 2016 at 03:49. Reason: Briskoda clarification
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 14:09   #2258
BHPian
 
Pretorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 79
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What is the best way to carry out a explosive start with a DSG gearbox? Should one press the brake at first and/or let the car roll a bit at first and/or then jam the foot down? With the TCS electronic wizardry, the Octavia anyway takes care of the slippage within the tyre's adhesion limits.

My manual Cruze (without TCS) used to spin away to glory as soon as the turbo boost came on so I mastered the art of riding the torque / boost wave and gain the best start. Any pointers for the DSGs?

Briskoda forum posts mention:
ESP off
Stop/start off
Left foot on brake.
Accelerate with right foot. (Should hold at 2500rpm ish)
Release brake

Mods: Hope this is not breaking the forum rules on high speeds etc. Am only checking 'launch control' techniques :-)

IMHO, DSG is not meant for explosive starts, but is designed to go linear. An imperfect launch (read with brake on) can mess up your torque converter. Plus you need to understand your gear ratios well enough to do this.

Get a manual!
Pretorian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 14:44   #2259
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 314
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I think one of the wheel bearings on my Octy is faulty. There's a humming noise that increases with speed. Also it increases when the steering is turned to the left and reduces when it is to the right. I guess that means the right side wheel bearing is at fault. 40k kms is a little to early for wheel bearing failure.

Wheel bearings are not covered under warranty I guess. Any one else faced any similar issue?
joethomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 17:06   #2260
BHPian
 
Zen2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 236
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Based on the running you mentioned you won't cover more than 40 thousand kilometers in a five year span. Comparing the price difference of 2.0 TDI to 1.8 TSI you won't break even in that time span.


2.0TDI costs LESS than the 1.8TSI. So where's the question of breaking even?

Last edited by Zen2001 : 10th July 2016 at 17:07.
Zen2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 12:14   #2261
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
DSG is behaving just fine, its just rev matching internally. When its downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, your clutch disc will be running at a much higher rpm than the engine. To keep up, the engine revs a bit to match that speed . This is a good practice & prevents less wear on the clutch disc.
No. This makes braking ineffective and is a big safety issue in emergency situations. If the driver brakes, car MUST slow down. Period. If the revs are too high for D2 then it should stay in D3 longer and slow down and shift to D2 a little late. Whatever it takes...
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 12:59   #2262
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,090 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
No. This makes braking ineffective and is a big safety issue in emergency situations. If the driver brakes, car MUST slow down. Period. If the revs are too high for D2 then it should stay in D3 longer and slow down and shift to D2 a little late. Whatever it takes...
I don't think the rev matching speeds up the car Anand. I think we get some amount of engine braking too. This phenomenon is more visible when in S mode and the DSG down shifts aggressively and we hear those throaty snarls from the engine as it downshifts.

Anyways in an automatic, the box is always fighting the brakes and trying to push the car forwards. In fact in a TC box car this push in even stronger. This is one reason why brake life is generally lower in AT cars compared to MT cars.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 13:10   #2263
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,835
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

My 7 month old 7k run Octavia TSI flashed a "Oil Service in 30 days" message. Does this mean a full blown service, an engine oil top-up or engine oil replacement?
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 14:02   #2264
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,090 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 7 month old 7k run Octavia TSI flashed a "Oil Service in 30 days" message. Does this mean a full blown service, an engine oil top-up or engine oil replacement?
I think your car will be one year old in 30 days. One year from the date of production, the date when the service reminder was set. Should be a routine service reminder. I suggest you check the oil level via dipstick and top it up if necessary, and reset at the service reminder at the service centre. You can do the oil change during first service which should come up in 3 months.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 14:12   #2265
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think the rev matching speeds up the car Anand. I think we get some amount of engine braking too. This phenomenon is more visible when in S mode and the DSG down shifts aggressively and we hear those throaty snarls from the engine as it downshifts.

Anyways in an automatic, the box is always fighting the brakes and trying to push the car forwards. In fact in a TC box car this push in even stronger. This is one reason why brake life is generally lower in AT cars compared to MT cars.
Santosh, during braking this problem happens only between D3 and D2. It's clearly a tuning issue. No jerks going from D7 through D3. In fact, I shift to "S" during urgent braking, S3 to S2 is much smoother.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks