Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 06:53   #2311
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Just said that there is a price hike from end of the month to cover for the 4 year default warranty effective September 1st. Hence colors other than white and silver when available will be at the new price.
Surprised to hear that they are again hiking prices, and that too due to the piddly cost of extra 2 years EW (~23k) and 2 years RSA (4K?). They should be absorbing it themselves as a goodwill gesture.

I also feel that the face-lifted kits will take at least till 2017 to reach India. First they have to launch it in the EU, supply enough cars there and then only send kits to Aurangabad.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 19:29   #2312
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Picked up the 2 year extended warranty for my Octavia TSI yesterday. Cost came to Rs. 22,706 and will take 10 days to process.

Disappointed that TAFE Access is collecting 2% extra on credit card payment which goes totally against their card payment T&C with Visa and Mastercard. They are not a baniya outfit or a JC Road outlet to do such cheap stuff!

Also asked to see some sample accessories like the baby mirror, door bin etc. but seems they only have empty accessory boxes on display! Not one actual sample on offer.

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th August 2016 at 19:30. Reason: Spelling!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 20:32   #2313
BHPian
 
vibhu_f430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 194
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

I also picked up the extended Warranty for my octavia tdi last week. But I paid around 42k !
The EW costs only 23k? Or that's only for the petrol ?
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 22:53   #2314
BHPian
 
rugsrags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 142
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
I also picked up the extended Warranty for my octavia tdi last week. But I paid around 42k !
The EW costs only 23k? Or that's only for the petrol ?

Nope it's around 23k only. I paid around the same or was it lesser I'll have check for my TDI... And it was from Skoda itself on their company letterhead too no external company involved.
rugsrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 23:01   #2315
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,046 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

In case of VW, if you buy the extended warranty within the first year of ownership, the price is the cheapest. Within 1-1.5 years of ownership, the price is higher and between 1.5-2 years of ownership the price is the highest. Isn't it how it works for the Skoda Shield as well?
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 02:00   #2316
BHPian
 
vibhu_f430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 194
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

I paid exactly Rs. 42,943 on 4th August and received the extended warranty certificate on 15th by email.
If the price is indeed 23k then I've been cheated by Gurudev. I'm calling them tomorrow for an explanation. Will update.
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 09:56   #2317
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
In case of VW, if you buy the extended warranty within the first year of ownership, the price is the cheapest. Within 1-1.5 years of ownership, the price is higher and between 1.5-2 years of ownership the price is the highest. Isn't it how it works for the Skoda Shield as well?
Yup, similar offerings but not identical. Some thoughts:

Business Model:
Skoda India handles EW differently than VW India. Skoda's EW is essentially an insurance policy between Skoda & an insurer with the vehicle owner as the named user. The way it works is that Skoda is reimbursed for any faulty components by the insurer.

As a result, there is usually a considerable time delay before any 'claims' are approved by the insurer. This gives rise to a lot of customer anger which is managed very badly by Skoda!

VW India (I believe) on the other hand handles the entire EW process in-house without any insurer. http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/value...-warranty.html. As a result, I think there rates are almost double Skoda's. For example the Jetta's 2 year EW rate is 41k compared to 22.7k for the Octavia!

Insurers are different for different states/dealerships. TAFE Access in Bangalore has a tie-up with ICICI Lombard I believe. Bajaj is another such insurer. However, the master policy is the same with identical T&Cs.

Skoda Shield:
For Skoda India, the Extended Warranty (+2 years or till 100k km whichever is earlier) is not the same as Skoda Shield. The latter is a combination offering of the EW + comprehensive insurance. http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/service/skoda-shield

Earlier Skoda used to force customers to buy this bundled 'Shield' thereby earning handsome margins on the insurance which was priced way above market rates. However, with IRDA / CCI / NCDRC cracking down on these unfair trade practices, Skoda has un-bundled the 2, and any buyer can purchase the EW separately.

Skoda EW:
The current EW slabs are 0 - 360 days followed by 361 - 730 days with a ~40% increase between the 2. For example the Octavia comes to 22.7k and 30.6k respectively.

These rates are not static and Skoda reserves the right to modify these rates at any time. So always better to lock-in as early as possible! For example for the Rapid, they suddenly overnight hiked the rates from 17k to 24k. And no, they will not entertain requests to issue EW at the earlier rates under any circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 View Post
I paid exactly Rs. 42,943 on 4th August and received the extended warranty certificate on 15th by email.
If the price is indeed 23k then I've been cheated by Gurudev. I'm calling them tomorrow for an explanation. Will update.
Surprised! Is yours the Octavia TDI AT? After how many days (post-purchase) did you buy the EW?

These rates are dictated by Skoda directly maybe nominally different state-wise and insurer-wise. Normally I don't think dealers have any hand here. But I MAYBE mistaken.

Anyway they have issued you a official certificate. Please let us know what they have to say!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th August 2016 at 11:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 11:32   #2318
BHPian
 
vibhu_f430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 194
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surprised! Is yours the Octavia TDI AT? After how many days (post-purchase) did you buy the EW?

These rates are dictated by Skoda directly maybe nominally different state-wise and insurer-wise. Normally I don't think dealers have any hand here. But I MAYBE mistaken.

Anyway they have issued you a official certificate. Please let us know what they have to say!
Yes, mine is a Tdi elegance.
Just got off the phone with the dealer. The EW costs 23K if you buy it within 90 days of purchase of the vehicle.
Slightly more if you buy within 360 days.
I bought mine just before the car turned 2 years. I paid 42k.
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 13:34   #2319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 46
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I bought the EW 2 weeks back on the day of car delivery and paid 23K to JMD , Mumbai. My car is 1.8 TSI
sudhir3127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 14:40   #2320
BHPian
 
Scaryskodamenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 33
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I got extended warranty for my 1.8 TSI during delivery of the vehicle and I paid 21090. Standard two year RSA is provided by Skoda and I intend to take two additional years for which dealer is asking RS.5000. This can be taken at any point of time in next two years and is independent of time unlike EW, where you end up paying higher price, if availed late.
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 15:24   #2321
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,836
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Yup, that extra RSA is definitely worth it as it covers most eventualities. I also plan to take it myself
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:29   #2322
Newbie
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Got my 1.8 TSI Style Plus Edition delivered yesterday. Looks stunning in the silver black combo. Have opted for Skoda Shield at additional of around INR 21k. Is EW different from Skoda Shield? The Sales rep informed me that Shield is a branded version of their EW, and covers the same..
sharktale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:55   #2323
BHPian
 
Scaryskodamenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 33
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Skoda India handles EW differently than VW India. Skoda's EW is essentially an insurance policy between Skoda & an insurer with the vehicle owner as the named user. The way it works is that Skoda is reimbursed for any faulty components by the insurer.

As a result, there is usually a considerable time delay before any 'claims' are approved by the insurer. This gives rise to a lot of customer anger which is managed very badly by Skoda!

VW India (I believe) on the other hand handles the entire EW process in-house without any insurer.
Has there been a change in t&c of the extended warranty offered by Skoda India recently? In one of the previous posts by abhinav, I happened to see the copy of extended warranty which was endorsed by ICICI. Whereas when I received my EW, I noticed, there is no mention of a third party insurer, in fact the warranty was issued directly in Skoda India letter head.

Is this due to the change of policy by Skoda,trying to follow the footsteps of parent company thereby providing EW in house or a separate deal was struck with a third party insurer while the end customer is kept conveniently in the dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Got my 1.8 TSI Style Plus Edition delivered yesterday. Looks stunning in the silver black combo. Have opted for Skoda Shield at additional of around INR 21k. Is EW different from Skoda Shield? The Sales rep informed me that Shield is a branded version of their EW, and covers the same..
Congratulations on your new buy and a warm welcome to Skoda family. While the car will definitely bring a smile to your face every time you get behind that wheel, you need all the protection you can get, for a hassle free ownership experience. As per Skoda India website Skoda shield is mentioned as EW with a basic insurance. I don't understand how basic insurance works out in that, but it definitely covers EW.
When you receive the EW papers kindly confirm whether the same has been issued directly by Skoda India or the warranty is provided by a third party. As mentioned in above posts opt for the additional two years of RSA if the same was not provided as standard.

Last edited by Scaryskodamenon : 23rd August 2016 at 11:11. Reason: To avoid back to back posts
Scaryskodamenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 06:52   #2324
Newbie
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 8
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryskodamenon View Post
Congratulations on your new buy and a warm welcome to Skoda family. While the car will definitely bring a smile to your face every time you get behind that wheel, you need all the protection you can get, for a hassle free ownership experience. As per Skoda India website Skoda shield is mentioned as EW with a basic insurance. I don't understand how basic insurance works out in that, but it definitely covers EW.
When you receive the EW papers kindly confirm whether the same has been issued directly by Skoda India or the warranty is provided by a third party. As mentioned in above posts opt for the additional two years of RSA if the same was not provided as standard.
Thanks a lot. Was earlier opting for the Superb, but it turned out, it wont fit in my garage during the TD. Nonetheless, the Octavia is amazing and feels much more plush than my outgoing 2009 Corolla Altis. Have heard better news coming from existing Skoda owners regarding after-sales off lately. Fingers crossed.
sharktale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 19:22   #2325
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Is it possible to install navigation for 1.8 Tsi style plus. I know I can connect through android, but what about people who have iPhone.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks