Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 18:29   #421
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

As is usual with anyone here who has booked a 1.8tsi, I make sure to call up the sales guy every few days to check on possible delivery only to get JAN'14 as the reply

So this person knows me by my voice by now, he just called up today morning sounding quite incredulous that his showroom has got a 1.8tsi Ambition. He told this to me over phone that the difference in features is same as in diesel. Another news is this showroom has a black 1.4tsi too, not sure on trim level.

Subsequently I went to a Skoda showroom closer to my office and they had absolutely no knowledge of Skoda making 1.8tsi in Ambition. So this is all I know. Btw, if anyone in & around Delhi is interested in buying this vehicle you have to contact the showroom @ Moti Nagar.
saurabh sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 19:24   #422
BHPian
 
petrolveins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad.
Posts: 106
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
is there even an official announcement by Skoda? About this new variant launch? I doubt the dealer is misinformed. If true, omitted list will include sunroof, bi-xenon headlamps, front sensors, lesser airbags, electric memory seats, storage boot nets, rear windscreen blind.
I have not read any official announcement in the usual automobile websites nor in the official Skoda website/Facebook page. I agree with you on the possible ommissions, and I feel Ambition makes a better choice of the two (for 2 lakhs less) except for that lack of bi-xenons. Saurabh now needs to confirm on the veracity of the news!!
petrolveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 23:05   #423
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
I have not read any official announcement in the usual automobile websites nor in the official Skoda website/Facebook page. I agree with you on the possible ommissions, and I feel Ambition makes a better choice of the two (for 2 lakhs less) except for that lack of bi-xenons. Saurabh now needs to confirm on the veracity of the news!!
I called up the skoda sales guy again in the evening today, I pointedly asked him you are offering '1.8tsi ambition auto' and he replied 'Yes'.
Next I asked him what is the difference Elegance & ambition in 1.8tsi, and he replied 'same as in diesel'. So there we have it, I must add this guy isn't one of the dullards we seem to have in most skoda showrooms, plus he was professional enough to call & inform me of any development on my booking. As I have mentioned earlier he himself was not aware of 1.8tsi Ambition being made till one actually landed up with them. He also isn't sure if any more ambition trim will be coming in future.
My personal take on the matter now is that it isn't difficult for skoda to make 1.8tsi ambition on their assembly line so either they are fishing the market for response (I am sure 1.8tsi in Elegance wouldn't have set the booking counter on fire with a PETROL engine & Elegance to boot) OR this vehicle is a one off Skoda made in the pre-launch phase and which they are now disposing through regular sales channels.
saurabh sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 00:32   #424
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
I called up the skoda sales guy again in the evening today, I pointedly asked him you are offering '1.8tsi ambition auto' and he replied 'Yes'. Next I asked him what is the difference Elegance & ambition in 1.8tsi, and he replied 'same as in diesel'. So there we have it, I must add this guy isn't one of the dullards we seem to have in most skoda showrooms, plus he was professional enough to call & inform me of any development on my booking. As I have mentioned earlier he himself was not aware of 1.8tsi Ambition being made till one actually landed up with them. He also isn't sure if any more ambition trim will be coming in future. My personal take on the matter now is that it isn't difficult for skoda to make 1.8tsi ambition on their assembly line so either they are fishing the market for response (I am sure 1.8tsi in Elegance wouldn't have set the booking counter on fire with a PETROL engine & Elegance to boot) OR this vehicle is a one off Skoda made in the pre-launch phase and which they are now disposing through regular sales channels.
i agree with your thinking. Why dont you go to the stockyard and check under the bonnet to be just that 1% more sure? No one is doubting you but its just that if they had really offered an Ambition TSI 1.8 it would really have been newz! No offense i think you should still go for the Elegance. You won't regret it.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 18:59   #425
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 314
Thanked: 156 Times
Default

Booked Ambition Diesel AT today at Marikar motors, Kochi. 6-7 weeks delivery time, if backed by regular visits to the church.

Elegance will take 12 weeks minimum.

They don't have any clue about the Ambition 1.8 TSi. Actually they don't have any clue about anything. AMC is unheard of.
joethomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 20:53   #426
BHPian
 
Blackbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Caution is advised before booking an Skoda car with a DSG gear box guys!! My brother just called he has been stranded on the road for the second time as his Skoda superb TSI DSG refuses to respond in any gear.

We were lucky the first time as the DSG failure was covered under warranty period (12th month). Two years later we are facing the same issue. I love the product but now I seriously think it's just not worth it. AC compressor was replaced in the 3rd service and so was some issue with ABS was rectified. Add to the fact of poor A.S.S ( they have banged my car when it was in service, though they repaired it for free after shouting at them)The pleasure of owning the car has just been taken away with so many issues.

Will keep u guys posted on how Skoda deals with this.
Blackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 23:25   #427
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Ok guys this is official, Skoda HAS launched 1.8tsi in ambition trim. I went late today evening and took my 1st TD of 1.8tsi Ambition, must add the car goes like a rocket even when not run-in (50km on the odo) wonder what fun Mr.Adi here is having

Attached pic of official Price List.

And yes, this Ambition is devoid of all those features which are absent in diesel ambition vis-a-vis diesel elegance. Note the 1.9lac ex-showroom price difference same as in diesel elegance & ambition. I will add again this is wonderful news for all the petrol heads who were averse to pay for features they don't care much for while craving for the performance, this is a display of common sense from Skoda. Now if only they can churn out some 1.8's for people like me who are patiently waiting for there 'Flagship' model.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-photo-2.jpg  

saurabh sharma is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 00:02   #428
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Ok guys this is official, Skoda HAS launched 1.8tsi in ambition trim. I went late today evening and took my 1st TD of 1.8tsi Ambition, must add the car goes like a rocket even when not run-in (50km on the odo) wonder what fun Mr.Adi here is having
So you are booking the Ambition then? Yes the car is a cracker! But its still running in.. So haven't really thrashed it yet but i cant wait. The smoothness is so addictive that sometimes you just want to hush away n drive slow instead
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 06:58   #429
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
So you are booking the Ambition then? Yes the car is a cracker! But its still running in.. So haven't really thrashed it yet but i cant wait. The smoothness is so addictive that sometimes you just want to hush away n drive slow instead
Sticking to Elegance for now, but things might change if they offer me white or black ambition before the elegance I have booked.
Need an auto-box car urgently, my back is playing up so if they won't give me elegance then i might just settle for ambition :(
saurabh sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 07:36   #430
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 226
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Ok guys this is official, Skoda HAS launched 1.8tsi in ambition trim. I went late today evening and took my 1st TD of 1.8tsi Ambition, must add the car goes like a rocket even when not run-in (50km on the odo) wonder what fun Mr.Adi here is having
This is a good news for all petrol heads, also less electronics means less issues. They should have launched 1.8 in MT also as it is more fun to drive (some may disagree) and no DSG means even less issues.

Last edited by B747 : 20th November 2013 at 07:41.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 09:04   #431
BHPian
 
petrolveins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad.
Posts: 106
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
Ok guys this is official, Skoda HAS launched 1.8tsi in ambition trim.
Great news for people who want performance of the 1.8 engine and not much focused on features. Next wish is 1.8 manual transmission !!!
petrolveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 09:50   #432
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,539
Thanked: 7,991 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Caution is advised before booking an Skoda car with a DSG gear box guys!! My brother just called he has been stranded on the road for the second time as his Skoda superb TSI DSG refuses to respond in any gear.
Please refer these threads for complete information on this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...not-india.html (Skoda Superb DSG 7 Speed DQ200 failures- China gets official reaction, why not India?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...speed-dsg.html (VW announces Global Recall of 26 lakh cars (including for the 7-Speed DSG))
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:13   #433
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Great news for people who want performance of the 1.8 engine and not much focused on features. Next wish is 1.8 manual transmission !!!
All the while the Laura was here we were saying it should have come with a DSG. And now when it has a DSG we are all saying manual
Akshay1234 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 20:20   #434
BHPian
 
petrolveins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyderabad.
Posts: 106
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All the while the Laura was here we were saying it should have come with a DSG. And now when it has a DSG we are all saying manual
Well, with DSG issues I'm for one hesitant to fork out that much money and not have peace of mind ��. Having gone through the DSG failures thread all over again, my apprehension on how VW dealt with the whole issue has only aggravated. VW is just not forthcoming and transparent.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 09:03   #435
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,090 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All the while the Laura was here we were saying it should have come with a DSG. And now when it has a DSG we are all saying manual
Now that's a clue for Skoda. Give the option to the customer!
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks