Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 13:02   #436
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

There is some good news for me, I might be able to get delivery of my 1.8tsi Elegance as early as next week. What I need now is advice, want to upgrade tyres from the stock Goodyear NCT 5's, but don't want to up the size. Any good options? And yes, a cool looking tread matters
saurabh sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 15:38   #437
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 781
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
There is some good news for me, I might be able to get delivery of my 1.8tsi Elegance as early as next week. What I need now is advice, want to upgrade tyres from the stock Goodyear NCT 5's, but don't want to up the size. Any good options? And yes, a cool looking tread matters
Yokohama AVS Db V is your best bet. The most silent tyre on Indian roads. Many T-BHpians will vouch for it. Will cost about ₹7000 per piece. The best ₹28000 you will spend. The tread looks cool too!
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 16:57   #438
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 175
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Yokohama AVS Db V is your best bet. The most silent tyre on Indian roads. Many T-BHpians will vouch for it. Will cost about ₹7000 per piece. The best ₹28000 you will spend. The tread looks cool too!
I would agree. Three points to add:
- It will probably cost you lesser since you can get a good price for the stock tyres. So it is a good time to replace.
- IIRC, the AVS Db's are asymmetrical. You might want to pay extra care during your regular rotation to ensure that there are no surprises
- The Michelin P3 ST's also have a great tread pattern. Of course, the usual discussion on sidewall strength/durability is open. However, mobike008 seems to have had a good experience so far and he was switching from CPC2's

Enjoy!
BackInTheFold is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:00   #439
BHPian
 
saurabh sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Boy.. Am i s*it scared now.. Paid up the balance amount of my downpayment yesterday.. What to do..??
saurabh sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:14   #440
BHPian
 
Blackbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 43 Times
Talking Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review


Thanks Anshuman. I should have posted on groups you mentioned above, I dont know how i can shift this discussion there now.

I just heard from Skoda. " Sir, your DSG was last replaced on 1st December 2011, it will be replaced under warranty" Warranty was expiring in 12 days!! Now thats close i say . They will be taking my car from Jogeshwari workshop to Kurla workshop as they cant service a DSG change at Jogeshwari.

Will keep you guys posted on the developments.

Cheers!
Blackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:45   #441
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Thanks Anshuman. I should have posted on groups you mentioned above, I dont know how i can shift this discussion there now.

I just heard from Skoda. " Sir, your DSG was last replaced on 1st December 2011, it will be replaced under warranty" Warranty was expiring in 12 days!! Now thats close i say . They will be taking my car from Jogeshwari workshop to Kurla workshop as they cant service a DSG change at Jogeshwari.

Will keep you guys posted on the developments.

Cheers!
Given that this is second DSG failure in 12 days less than 2 years, you may want to advise your friend on seeking some sort of extended assurance / warranty from Skoda on it. What if it fails again in next 12 months? Going by earlier average, that's not unlikely and your friend may want to try to cover for that.

Pretty unfortunate that there are so many genuine issues reported in an Official Test Drive thread for brand new or less that 2-3 year old cars. Skoda/ VAG cars look amazing and drive even better. There are some really good experiences (e.g. .anshuman) and there are even more bad experiences. By heart I want to own and drive one but given the situation my head won't let me do that, not in foreseeable future at least.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:00   #442
BHPian
 
Blackbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Moderator note: Post Edited to fix Quote. Please use Preview to check before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Given that this is second DSG failure in 12 days less than 2 years, you may want to advise your friend on seeking some sort of extended assurance / warranty from Skoda on it.
Hi Amit,

It's my brothers car and it just crossed 3 years in October. The DSG replaced in December 2011 and had a 2 year warranty after replacement.

I drive this car every weekend, have taken it to Goa once and many times for weekend getaways from Mumbai , you will always have your heart saying man what a car this is, they are awesome to drive but all the scary posts and experience telling your head no way.

At the end it's all an equation of how much of your time, effort and money you are u willing to sacrifice for the ride. I think I have reached a strict no for Skoda cars as our future cars. The time and effort is not worth it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd November 2013 at 12:27.
Blackbolt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:57   #443
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,596
Thanked: 3,274 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All the while the Laura was here we were saying it should have come with a DSG. And now when it has a DSG we are all saying manual
Maybe we meant the DQ350 DSG!
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 17:12   #444
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 314
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Are there any significant difference between the engine and transmission in the Laura 2.0 AT and the Octavia 2.0 AT?
If you look at Skoda's service cost calculator, (direct link - http://oem.carwale.com/oem/skoda/Ser...rviceCost.aspx) the Octavia requires 300 ml more than the Laura for an oil change. The DSG also requires 300 ml more. The fluid is costlier too. (maybe the change to mineral oil will fix that)
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-laura1.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-laura2.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-octavia1.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-octavia2.jpeg  

joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 23:55   #445
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 865
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

TD'd the 1.4 TSI, to say the least its underpowered. Nobody will buy it to potter around the city, which is a competent highway stormer but not at lest with this engine. The engine was struggling and straining and howling in 2nd gear once it crossed 60kms/hr, in real world none us will do that, but, and if you go over a highish hump and slow down to 10kms/hr and when you want to takeoff in 2nd gear, it just does not move since the rpm goes down below 1500 and there is no power untill it crosses 1800rpm only then the turbo spools up, it takes a long while before it moves, but if you shift to 1st while you are over the hump and take off it goes fast, which means you need to work the gearbox a lot for a spirited drive even in the city. The turbo makes a lot of noise when strained. I have not driven the 1.4 TSI Jetta though, I don't know if it is any different. I compare it with my 2005 Corolla and the engine is surely effortless in my car. There is really no replacement for displacement, its every bit true. IMHO also not a VFM product. My take - stick to 1.8 TSI (which also I haven't driven yet), or the 2.0 TDI. BTW Jetta is better VFM in diesel, with or without DSG, comes with better rear suspension, also 1L+ discount.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 28th November 2013 at 23:59. Reason: correction
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 15:40   #446
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,142
Thanked: 409 Times
Exclamation Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Forget Mumbai Prices.
Take a look at Bangalore Prices.

17,6492 for the 1.4 Active MT

23,09987 for the 1.8 TSI AT! Holy GOD! Way to overpriced. This could soon be the next market dud.
I agree I'm out of tune for a market with this segment of vehicle (D1?) but to me, none of those prices for the models on offer look like from the D1 segment. Skoda has priced all variants over ambitiously is my guess and it shows.

Many members here have expressed they've pulled the plug on their bookings (for various reasons). A few members I suppose have purchased the Octavia but considering the petrol head community, its surprising there aren't many purchases (probably reasons are well balanced between high price and after sales concerns?)

If it does turn out a market dud, many here (maybe including me) will be happy to see lavish discounts on the top end models.

Last edited by k_ajay : 29th November 2013 at 15:44.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 18:51   #447
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
All the while the Laura was here we were saying it should have come with a DSG. And now when it has a DSG we are all saying manual
Some of us have been asking for MT from day0. And I am still asking for MT. If one is driving with family far from home in the night, DSG does not inspire any confidence. Besides, I like MT anyways over AT.
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 20:42   #448
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,389
Thanked: 5,256 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Some of us have been asking for MT from day0. And I am still asking for MT. If one is driving with family far from home in the night, DSG does not inspire any confidence. Besides, I like MT anyways over AT.
Look at it from the companys perspective. They could launch both variants, but then anyway petrols sell far less than their diesel counterparts. To have both options for petrol would mean either the MT or AT would sell much less than the other (I think the AT would sell more since many more of us have been asking for AT TSI than those asking for MT, and besides all those who wanted MT TSI bought the Laura ), leading to the company making the other one on order with long waiting periods. Look at the Superb V6 or the 328i, both very low volume cars. So difficult to get. I think the volumes of the 1.8 MT would be far to low to justify launching it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 21:54   #449
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Look at it from the companys perspective. They could launch both variants, but then anyway petrols sell far less than their diesel counterparts. To have both options for petrol would mean either the MT or AT would sell much less than the other (I think the AT would sell more since many more of us have been asking for AT TSI than those asking for MT, and besides all those who wanted MT TSI bought the Laura ), leading to the company making the other one on order with long waiting periods. Look at the Superb V6 or the 328i, both very low volume cars. So difficult to get. I think the volumes of the 1.8 MT would be far to low to justify launching it.
I think that depends on how you look at it. If you want ease of commute, and FE, you'll get the TDI DSG. If you're an enthusiast and want to enjoy a sporty drive, the 1.8 TSI MT is much better bet, has higher reliability and significantly lower sticker price, as well as lower maintenance costs. So, why would not more enthusiasts go for a 1.8 TSI MT Ambition or Elegance model ?
The 1.8TSI DSG Elegance is over 23l OTR in Bangalore. Absolutely reduces chances of enthusiasts going for it.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 29th November 2013 at 21:55.
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2013, 21:56   #450
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,389
Thanked: 5,256 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I think that depends on how you look at it. If you want ease of commute, and FE, you'll get the TDI DSG. If you're an enthusiast and want to enjoy a sporty drive, the 1.8 TSI MT is much better bet, has higher reliability and significantly lower sticker price, as well as lower maintenance costs. So, why would not more enthusiasts go for a 1.8 TSI MT Ambition or Elegance model ?
The 1.8TSI DSG Elegance is over 23l OTR in Bangalore. Absolutely reduces chances of enthusiasts going for it.
What about the Laura TSI? It was MT. It hardly sold. Skoda is going by their past experience.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks