Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 10:50   #946
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Are you absolutely positive about the amount? That's even cheaper than the Vento TSi's extended warranty!



This was my experience as well. They matched the quotes I got them from outside, they will get that done if you haggle well.



Congrats Abhinav! Don't keep us waiting too long then. And don't forget to take many pictures, there are not too many picture loaded Octavia reviews from users!

As for me, my guess is you took a 1.8 TSi Elegance
I am absolutely sure, I have the reciept of the same on which it is clearly mentioned that it is for extended warranty which is now valid for 4 years 80000 kms. They will give me the original papers along with the invoice which is pending.


I am not at home these days ( some personal issue - no family fight though, everything's great in that respect but still have to be out of house for some reason i cannot disclose.)s
The car is standing somewhere getting something done, all about that in the thread.

I am holding the thread for the pictures which will come when i go back home and the car reaches home.

Your guess is bang on 1.8 TSi Elegance.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 11:00   #947
BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 945
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I am absolutely sure, I have the reciept of the same on which it is clearly mentioned that it is for extended warranty which is now valid for 4 years 80000 kms.
That's superb! (no pun intended) Makes the 1.8TSi ownership so much better when you know you don't need to worry about anything packing up for 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The car is standing somewhere getting something done, all about that in the thread.
Hope all ends up just great for you on a personal front. As far as the car goes, I'm sure I echo everyone here when I say they look forward to the thread, whenever it does arrive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Your guess is bang on 1.8 TSi Elegance.
I knew I should have bet on it
iliketurtles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 23:52   #948
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 64
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Congratulations Abhinav!! Welcome to the TSI club!

Maybe it's cheaper in the Octavia because they club it with the insurance which I guess is not the case for the Jetta, Graaja?

However, I had just talked to Giriraj gurgaon today (before getting updated on this thread) and they did not know about the extended warranty coming in. :(

Which dealer did you take it from Abhinav? Need to talk to Giriraj tomorrow again.
manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 00:45   #949
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Congratulations Abhinav!! Welcome to the TSI club!

Maybe it's cheaper in the Octavia because they club it with the insurance which I guess is not the case for the Jetta, Graaja?

However, I had just talked to Giriraj gurgaon today (before getting updated on this thread) and they did not know about the extended warranty coming in. :(

Which dealer did you take it from Abhinav? Need to talk to Giriraj tomorrow again.
Thanks Man

I still don't understand the difference considering the insurance is paid separately in case of Jetta also. A difference of 32xxx is not understandable for a similar priced car.

I took it from Farhenheit Skoda Moti Nagar. I will post the pic of the receipt here when I go to where the car is parked right now
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 06:50   #950
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,028
Thanked: 1,612 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Maybe it's cheaper in the Octavia because they club it with the insurance which I guess is not the case for the Jetta, Graaja?

However, I had just talked to Giriraj gurgaon today (before getting updated on this thread) and they did not know about the extended warranty coming in. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Thanks Man

I still don't understand the difference considering the insurance is paid separately in case of Jetta also. A difference of 32xxx is not understandable for a similar priced car.

I took it from Farhenheit Skoda Moti Nagar. I will post the pic of the receipt here when I go to where the car is parked right now
I remember, earlier in this thread, there was a mention that sometimes dealers also offer extended warranty. This is has nothing to do with Skoda, but it is something the dealer works out with the insurance provider, and hence the caveat that the extended warranty can be taken only if the insurance is taken from a particular company. In case of Jetta, there was no mention that I have to take the insurance from the dealer to avail the EW (other Jetta owners who have taken EW can confirm); I still took the insurance from the dealer.

You need to first check if this EW is being offered by the company or by the dealer. If it is by the company, there will be a proper warranty book with all the terms and conditions etc. Things would be clear when Abhinav is able to get the copy of the receipt. Manu, you could call Skoda customer care and enquire if the extended warranty has been officially announced.

As there is almost 3x difference between the EW of Octavia and Jetta which are similarly prices cars, and the EW of Octavia is cheaper than Vento TSi which has the same gearbox but costs almost half of Octavia, this definitely needs some clarity.
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 09:13   #951
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,371
Thanked: 638 Times
Arrow Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
In case of Jetta, there was no mention that I have to take the insurance from the dealer to avail the EW (other Jetta owners who have taken EW can confirm)

As there is almost 3x difference between the EW of Octavia and Jetta which are similarly prices cars, and the EW of Octavia is cheaper than Vento TSi which has the same gearbox but costs almost half of Octavia, this definitely needs some clarity.
Jetta's extended warranty does not have any riders. I have already taken extended warranty for my Jetta and I was not asked to take Insurance from the Dealer. However, my first year Insurance has come as a freebie from the Dealer as part of the package.

Jetta's extended warranty is directly from VW - Warranty from the manufacturer is any day more dependable. IMO, any other package from the dealer can not be an Apple-Apple comparison.

When we talk about riders like Insurance.. etc, we should factor-in our expenses for the entire 4 years, rather that calculating the difference only in the first year.

Even I feel that the difference can not be so much - cost will be hidden somewhere. If indeed the price is as quoted, it is time to celebrate for Octy owners!!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 15:12   #952
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 64
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

I took it from Farhenheit Skoda Moti Nagar. I will post the pic of the receipt here when I go to where the car is parked right now
I just talked to Giriraj, they confirmed Skoda has not launched any Extended Warranty so far for the Octavia. So maybe this is something that Farhenheit gave you on their own (and not from Skoda directly)?
manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 16:06   #953
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 2,093 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Extended Warranty for Octavia now available (14xxx for Elegance 1.8 TSi A/T). Makes it 4 years/80000km whichever comes first.

Valid only if insurance taken from dealer.
₹ 14,xxx/- for the extended warranty for the Octavia 1.8 TSI does not sound right when you consider that the extended warranty for my Laura TSI MT costed about 18K, 3 years back, for a car costing about ₹13.5L Ex showroom at the time.

It should be in the 25K region minimum if you ask me. You may need to double check with the dealer on this.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 16:08   #954
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 460 Times
Default

Extended warranty for new city is 11800 so no way octavia which costs almost double can be 14k. And that too from skoda who price everything exorbitantly. Something is missing here.
harry10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 20:40   #955
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 226
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I just talked to Giriraj, they confirmed Skoda has not launched any Extended Warranty so far for the Octavia. So maybe this is something that Farhenheit gave you on their own (and not from Skoda directly)?
Checked with Tafe access Bangalore, they too are unaware of any extended warranty.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 20:54   #956
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I will have this checked tomorrow itself. I had a talk with the guys there before my booking and they did mention that the extended warranty will most likely be through the insuring agent. I dont know how that will work though.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 19:41   #957
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Checked with Tafe access Bangalore, they too are unaware of any extended warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Extended warranty for new city is 11800 so no way octavia which costs almost double can be 14k. And that too from skoda who price everything exorbitantly. Something is missing here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
₹ 14,xxx/- for the extended warranty for the Octavia 1.8 TSI does not sound right when you consider that the extended warranty for my Laura TSI MT costed about 18K, 3 years back, for a car costing about ₹13.5L Ex showroom at the time.

It should be in the 25K region minimum if you ask me. You may need to double check with the dealer on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I just talked to Giriraj, they confirmed Skoda has not launched any Extended Warranty so far for the Octavia. So maybe this is something that Farhenheit gave you on their own (and not from Skoda directly)?
I confirmed the same from the dealer.

This indeed is from the insurance company, thus the clause of taking the insurance from the dealer themselves.

This is the reason it is cheaper than alternatives. They said that the company always overcharges for extended warranty.

Only thing not included in this extended warranty is the battery. Rest everything included as per the original warranty and other extended warranty plans.

This is definitely a winning formula in my opinion.

I will update the scanned copy of the details of the extended warranty as soon as i get my hands on it.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 20:43   #958
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 206
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I confirmed the same from the dealer.
This indeed is from the insurance company, thus the clause of taking the insurance from the dealer themselves.
This is definitely a winning formula in my opinion.
The 'Extended Warranty' from insurance companies would be definitely cheaper. We have similar extended warranties offered by almost all electronics retailers in tie-up with the insurance companies for Electronic products (refer my thread here (Caution - Retailer's Extended Warranty)). But this is the first time I am hearing it being offered for cars at the dealer level.

Did you check with the dealer what is the process for replacing a part under warranty? My guess is that since an insurance company is involved, one would have to raise a 'claim', they would add some delay in evaluating and approving the claim (similar to accident damage) and then the there could be additional delay from the dealer for part unavailability.

But if the dealer is assuring that they will take care of the 'insurance claim' process without additional delays, then it would turn out to be a good scheme. But I have my doubts on whether the dealer would be willing to do this.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 16th April 2014 at 20:46.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 21:10   #959
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 226
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Only thing not included in this extended warranty is the battery. Rest everything included as per the original warranty and other extended warranty plans.

This is definitely a winning formula in my opinion.
If the terms and conditions are same as company provided extended warranty then definitely this is a much better deal.
Why this is not provided by all dealers? Tafe access Bangalore please wake up guys.
B747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 21:19   #960
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
The 'Extended Warranty' from insurance companies would be definitely cheaper. We have similar extended warranties offered by almost all electronics retailers in tie-up with the insurance companies for Electronic products (refer my thread here (Caution - Retailer's Extended Warranty)). But this is the first time I am hearing it being offered for cars at the dealer level.

Did you check with the dealer what is the process for replacing a part under warranty? My guess is that since an insurance company is involved, one would have to raise a 'claim', they would add some delay in evaluating and approving the claim (similar to accident damage) and then the there could be additional delay from the dealer for part unavailability.

But if the dealer is assuring that they will take care of the 'insurance claim' process without additional delays, then it would turn out to be a good scheme. But I have my doubts on whether the dealer would be willing to do this.
I haven't asked the dealer about the warranty claim process yet. I will keep this in my to-do list and update here. I hope this does not include going to the insurance company for warranty claims and gets settled at the dealer level only.

I haven't had a bad experience with this dealer in my 5 years of owning the 1st gen Skoda Octavia vRS, I hope it remains the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
If the terms and conditions are same as company provided extended warranty then definitely this is a much better deal.
Why this is not provided by all dealers? Tafe access Bangalore please wake up guys.
I hope they are the same. It should either be offered by Skoda themselves or atleast by the other dealers. I would suggest you to talk to your insurance people also once, they might know.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 16th April 2014 at 21:31.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks